Varmints

Varmints

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  183 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Striking, surreal illustrations and a haunting, evocative text tell a mysterious tale of a threatened natural world —- and a hopeful new start.

Once, the only sounds to be heard were the buzzing of bees in the grass, the murmuring of moles in the earth, and the song of birds in the sky. These warmed the hearts of those who cared to listen —- until the others came to fill th...more
Published March 25th 2008 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Varmints, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Varmints

Shannon (Giraffe Days)
I picked this one up in 2008 and have been meaning to read it again for a while now. It's an amazing picture book, very mature in subject matter, a book that you'll need to revisit again and again and ponder endlessly. It's also the type of book I would have absolutely loved as a small child (I love it now, too, of course) - at five, six years of age, The Dark Crystal was my favourite movie and it was a dark, menacing tale with sinister creatures, death, violence and adventure. So don't rush to...more
A_Cathi
This beautifully illustrated book by Marc Craste made the text by Helen Ward seem more more meaningful. The words were few, yet intense and in my opinion, easy enough for young children to comprehend. The text on some of the illustrations were hardly noticed - you had to look with a keen eye, which I think made them more meaningful and connected to the dark scenes in this story. The idea that life is becoming over run with buildings, noises, and all kinds of extra "STUFF" is a concern of mine. T...more
Andrea
Varmints, written by Helen Ward and illustrated by Marc Craste, is a simple yet powerful picture book for older readers (Grades 4 and up). This story is told in three sections that include three diverse worlds, where each is indicated by a vellum page that reminded me a bit of the start of old film footage. The story begins in a beautiful sun-filled meadow full of the sound of buzzing bees. There are "varmints" working in the field, which look a bit like rabbits. Suddenly, there is a transformat...more
Jocelin
This book is so dark and beautiful. I bought it from my kids school book fair, neither of them (7 and 5) were very interested in it even after I purchased it and read it to them at home, I guess I prefer for them to love cheerful, colorful books with unicorns and rainbows. Maybe someday when life's harsher realities set in they'll appreciate the message in this lovely little book. I loved it though, I got chills the first time I got to the page that said "so they stopped thinking". I love the ar...more
Jostalady
Jan 31, 2009 Jostalady rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone once
Shelves: children-s, recommend
I was blown away to find a children's picture book with dark striking art like a graphic novel, and a message as much me as anything I could ever write. It immediately became my favorite picture book, and I ran out on my lunch break to buy a copy for my best friend. This book is as much him as it is me, and for our perspective to be found in such a tidy package is well worth sharing. I couldn't actually interest any children in this book, but most of the adults I shared it with, thanked me for s...more
Michael
I haven't even had a chacne to read this yet but the art for this is so beguilingly gorgeous that i can't help but give it 5 stars already.

i dare you to try and find a children's book with art anywhere close to this. a very unique style that is just mind bogglingly awesome.
Jack Kirby and the X-man
Cami
High points for art technique and all, but I don't like to be preached to by books.
Jake Rideout
This is a new children's book that will be coming out soonish. It's completely awesome. The story is almost a post-apocalyptic tale about how "Others" invaded the natural world and the original inhabitants could no longer hear the sound of the bees beneath the tall buildings and the noise. One little guy keeps a tree in his skyscraper apartment and takes it to a little grate where sunshine comes through. Here's an excerpt: "Far below, the crowded streets and the empty heads of the Others fell qu...more
Ashlyn Butcher
Love, love, love this book! There is so much you can look at, explore, analyze and discuss with this book. The illustrations are beautiful. The layout is intriguing. The themes are timeless and thought provoking. I definitely recommend!
Phoebe
The depiction of living in a polluted, decaying city was, as usual, sentimental and predictable. But there was that distinct streak of ambivalence and sophistication in its treatment of the nature/technology binary. It suggests, or so it seems to me, that the only way to preserve nature is to technologize it. Nature is no longer nature. If we are to expose future generations to what we perceive is natural, then nature has to be taken out of the environment, tended and sustained using artificial...more
Con Robinson
Stunning book! Beautiful illustrations. Very inspiring
Evita
I found this at Bart's books for six dollars and bought it for my daughter. I fell in love with the peculiar illustrations and the story is cute.
Steve Bryans
Terry
This book has relatively few words, and the story is told in large part through full page or two page spread illustrations (which are really beautiful). The book had a good environmental message and makes no apologies for it (not that any are necessary). My only criticism is that the text is hard to read on a few of the darker pages, because the font kind of blends in with the illustrations. Otherwise, it's a short, quick read that should be enjoyed by readers of any age.
Krissy
So I bought this thinking it would be a good read for the evil overlord in training. It's a quick read, but it's so thought provoking.

the art work is amazing. it's sparse, and detailed all at the same time.

I think this would be a wonderful book for older children and up. Not so much for my two year old, but I'll definitely be holding on to until he's old enough to discuss what's going on in the book, and how it relates to the world around us.
Sarai
The art in this book is wonderful; however, the text is often written in dark letters on dark pages, which makes it difficult to find, let alone read. I had to search some of the pages to make sure there was writing on them. And then I found the story depressing. I don't know that I would find this story suitable for the targeted age group. I almost feel it would be better for young adults and adults rather than children age 4-8.
Powells.com
This darkly beautiful book tells the story of one creature's rebellion against a dull and mechanized world. In a world where thoughtless beings have destroyed all traces of wilderness, the varmint hero, along with a few others, struggles to find a place for nature. Marc Craste's illustrations are both dark and luminous. This book is a modern-day environmental fable all ages can learn from and enjoy.
Recommended by Adam P., Powells.com
Janece
Wow, what a wonderful book. A wonderful and spacious story with incredible artwork. There is a movie short of the book that I'm eager to see. This was a library check-out... but I will be buying it for our permanent collection. I want it to be around - it is so rich with imagination, consciousness and wonder.
Dawn
A very beautiful book that is reminiscent of The Little House, that caldecott winner from so many years ago.
The little varmint in this book has saved a little plant, a little bit of green in a very gray and brown world. A simple reminder that we should keep some of earth's natural beauty in tact.
Liza Gilbert
An absolutely stunning and effective picture book about the disappearance of bees and one creature's attempt to bring them back. The art is perfect and the words are sparse and poetic. I don't see the picture book crowd going for it, though, since its message is implied and somewhat abstract.
Katy
I researched this as a uni project, what stunned me was the artwork it just took me and instantly i fell in love with it. Its such a striking book i must point out that this is an adaptation from a short film you can youtube it and come across the amazing story that goes with this!
Murdock
while a tad overt in its message, the language and images are beautiful enough enjoy outside the narrative
Heydi Smith
Aug 26, 2014 Heydi Smith rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone, seriously, everyone should experience this.
The most amazing graphic novel and short film that I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing. If you haven't seen the short film this was based on please go to youtube and find it. You will be happy you did.
Nick
Children's book art should never be ignored. To last like a hungry caterpillar or a wild thing, you need to go for something universal. This will last. This is an instant classic. I cannot wait for more.
Jen
This book has wonderful illustrations, but gets pretty dark for a picture book. In fact, it's downright scary and it reminds me of The Giver and 1984. The pages feel and smell good too.
Becky
Thank you, Maia, for sending this in the mail! It's gorgeously illustrated and poignant. It reminds me of "The Rabbits," only with more hope at the end (which is always good).
Cher
Beautiful art, but heavy-handed with the whole "live wild or die" concept. The titular varmints are humans, who plague and pave the earth with noise and busyness.
Tamara
I want to live inside this book. The illustrations are heavenly. Thank you to the Crestview household for introducing us.
Matt Richter
stunning dark artwork with haunting beauty!! adults might love this one more than their kids.
  • The Little Red Fish
  • Eric
  • So Few of Me
  • Rainstorm
  • Toot & Puddle: You Are My Sunshine
Helen Ward won the first Walker Prize for Children’s Illustration and twice won the British National Art Library Award. She has also been short-listed for the 2003 Kate Greenaway Medal. She lives in Gloucestershire, England.
More about Helen Ward...
The Tin Forest The Town Mouse and the Country Mouse The Dragon Machine Unwitting Wisdom: An Anthology of Aesop's Fables The Hare And The Tortoise