Pink

Pink

2.74 of 5 stars 2.74  ·  rating details  ·  189 ratings  ·  23 reviews
From one of America's most original and celebrated filmmakers comes a trenchant and ironic deconstruction of youth culture and filmmaking. Spunky Davis, a middle-aged maker of infomercials, is trying to finish a screenplay that he hopes will bring him Hollywood glory when two aspiring filmmakers enter the picture, promising to take Spunky to the mysterious realm of Pink, w...more
Published November 17th 1997 by Faber and Faber (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Pink, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pink

Deirdre
Nostalgic and shamelessly sentimental in its own unirritating way, "Pink" takes feeling over fact, vibe over memory. A tricky approach, which is almost guaranteed to set a novel apart from any chances of mass market success, actually works wonders for this one. Be it because of Van Sant already being an accomplished artist by the time of publishing, or him not caring about the reception of it to begin with, this book is perfect in its childish indifference to reader's convinience, and that is ex...more
Marina Robbins
What can I say?? There are times, when even in his films, I continue this love/hate relationship with Gus. Mostly it's love, but recently I wrote a review on the film Paranoid Park which wasn't favorable.

This is a first, and possibly last, novel by Van Zant and understandably. It felt as if I was reading a complete list of mindless thoughts and babbling about life from his past, the many boys he longs to bang, and finally a peak into life as a burgeoning film maker. I was completely bored and on...more
Chris Herdt
I recall enjoying this book and identifying perhaps a little too much with the protagonist's addiction to heavy equipment.
Andrew
I read this book very quickly which is a testament to the easy going writing style despite the 'plot' not being easily defined. The novel itself is a trifle bizzare - a cross between Tom Robbins, Douglas Coupland and the movies of Gus Van Sant - but it maintains a momentum that pulls you through despite the ending feeling a little slapdash and the concept of 'Pink' (an alternate dimension) being shoehorned in at the end and only partially developed.

The main character is a infofilm director named...more
Josh
Awful.

Such liberties are taken in the formatting of the novel that it could almost be considered a conceptual art piece. As for the writing itself, the story is weak. The characters are intriguing at first, but any interest you might garner for unravelling the story quickly wears off as the tedium of the haphazard prose style wears you down.

There is a story in there, but it's a constant struggle to find the through-line. It reads as unpolished and unedited. I felt like I was sifting through a...more
Mark Taylor
Gus Van Sant uses time travel and multiple dimensions to muddy the autobiographical incidents that run through Pink. Written in a Hemingway-ish style that doesn't get in the way, nor engage, nor stimulate, this novel is mercifully quick to read, and yet, still a waste of time.
Michael Soros
If I have to pay for a book I tend to read it to the end. In this case I had to make an exception. The plot is too disjointed to follow and the author is trying out a new format for a novel which doesn't seem to work. I did like the cartoons but then I like illustrations anyway. The endless footnotes as a means of filling in background just wore me out. It was like reading two concurrent novels.

Nice idea but obviously didn't catch on.
Lea
Pink was... cute and subversive and different- but all the things that made it good were also huge distractions.
Parts of it were non-sense and parts were beautiful and often they were the same parts.
The self-reverential theme was needed, perhaps, in a story about time travel, and it gave it a depth it would have other-wised lacked, but it also seemed to be a too easy method of explaining away some of the novel's more peculiar idiosyncrasies... for example the characters all having multiple nam...more
Steev Hise
Apr 21, 2010 Steev Hise rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of van sant's films, portland residents, film students, rockstars
Shelves: novels, filmmaking, own-it
A trippy, surreal piece of fiction that is clearly very self-referential to Van Sant's life and world, full of veiled satiric references to real filmmakers and places. The story sort of floats and then falters at the end and never really reaches a release, it just sort of... floats away. But it's an entertaining read while it lasts, very funny, irreverent, and provokes lots of thought about filmmaking, hollywood, Portland, pop culture, middle age, and more.
Meghan
relies on devices to the point of distraction -- from the endless footnotes to the change in typeface denoting a character switch, the flipbook character hidden in the lower corner of the pages rises as the singular steady thread throughout. likely more entertaining text for filmmakers (constant references to method and culture of), leaves the layman... bored.
Becca
Pink is an interesting vacation into a wilderness of profanity that I can't help feeling grateful for. At times, the reader realizes that nothing makes sense and yet, experiences illumination unlike he or she has ever felt before.
Blake Nelson
A great book, a look inside the life of a young indie-film maker, probably very autobiographical. Very interesting, and fun and a great slice of life of Gus's life.... highly recommend, especially for film makers.
Shae
I think I may be the only person to like this book. It's crazy and all over the place it rarely seems cohesive yet it all works in a almost (david)lynch type style that makes it unique and interesting.
Carlynn
Harris is a creature. I'm a creature too. Our cellular phones touch in the middle of the table. (p. 242)

He loves you as much as he can, but he cannot love you very much. (p. 230)
Lanny

I have 7 or 9 pages in this book of my writing.
Gus was fun to hang out with and this was a good experience,
except for the part where I didnt get to be a movie star!

Goddammnit!
Greg Allan Holcomb
I thought this was okay. I just took it off my prized bookshelf. It was there for being the author's debut novel in a first printing.

My buddy Yancik thought it was great.
Emily
A friend sent me this book and I feel bad saying it but I couldn't stand it. I can understand how it could resonate with some people but I was not one of them.
Valentina
At the beginning might sound a bit no sense..until you find the paragraph that expalins it all..good luck. Only for GVS fans.
Cory
This book was beyond weird. I still am not sure if I understood it all. But I think that might have been the point.
Lisa
I'm still not sure whether I actually liked this or not.
Allison B
Billy Mays meets Kurt Cobain. Weird could not finish it.
Kristin Intile
weird. not in a good way.
Alex Mikkelsen
Alex Mikkelsen marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Sophie Barloc
Sophie Barloc marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Richard MacManus
Richard MacManus is currently reading it
Aug 10, 2014
Robin Henley
Robin Henley marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Katrine
Katrine marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
sarah
sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Gus Green Van Sant, Jr. is an American film director, photographer, musician, and author. He was nominated for the Best Director Academy Award for his 1997 film Good Will Hunting. He currently lives in Portland, Oregon.

His early career was devoted to directing television commercials in the Pacific Northwest. Openly gay, he has dealt unflinchingly with homosexual and other marginalized subcultures...more
More about Gus Van Sant...
Even Cowgirls Get the Blues & My Own Private Idaho My Own Private Idaho 108 Portraits Finding Forrester Elephant (Film)

“Sometimes getting upset with yourself is necessary when you face the truth.” 5 likes