Mercy

Mercy

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  29,027 ratings  ·  1,873 reviews
Cameron MacDonald has spent his life guided by duty. As the police chief of a small Massachusetts town that has been home to generations of his Scottish clan, he is bound to the town's residents by blood & honour. Yet when his cousin arrives at the police station with the body of his wife, Cam immediately places him under arrest.
Published December 2007 (first published January 1st 1996)

Mrs. Bowers
Mercy??? This book should have been named Selfish. I mean, I get it, I get it -- by the end, the title is more than understandable, the way it ties into pretty much every storyline -- but overall I was semi disappointed in this book. I think the main reason for my disappointment stems from the fact that I couldn't STAND Cam. He is every wife's worst nightmare: lying, cheating, the works. I was so disgusted with him, and so indifferent toward the other characters, that for the first two-thirds of...more
April
Inge
DNF 64%

I would’ve put Mercy down sooner, but I was at my grandmother’s for a couple days with nothing but this book, and I didn’t have anything else to read. Now that I’m home again, I don’t have to put up with this anymore. I can’t read another word of this book. I do not want to read in detail about how some asshole cheats on his wife and doesn’t even feel sorry.

Cameron MacDonald should get the award for Worst Husband Ever. He has been married to his Allie for five years, but he doesn’t apprec...more
Petra X
If there had been half-stars, this book would have ratedd 2.5. It was better than ok, but I didn't really like it. I had read four or five Jodi Picoult novels and found, from the first high of My Sister's Keeper it to be a slow, downhill road and this book doesn't break that path.

The first half, which took me three days to read, established the characters, none of whom I liked.

There is the adulterous husband who feels guilty about never passing up an opportunity to screw his wife's strange emp...more
Lauren
Lisa
I was not really a fan of this book. It could be so much better, IMO. The flashbacks to Scotland were strange and I found it dragged quite a bit. Certainly nowhere near my favourite of Picoult.
Jessie
I could not put this book down- Jodi's writing is so deep and captivating that I found profound thoughts and insights on nearly every page. The story itself was ok, but what I liked about the book the most was how psychological it was- the insights and emotions of the characters, and how you could literally see through their eyes and understand their circumstances... thanks to Jodi. She's so poetic and uses the most amazing imagery to describe how someone is feeling, or what they are thinking.

T...more
Dinjolina
I am feeling completely sick.

Why? Because this is Cam story. I was supposed to sympathies. I was supposed to understand him.
But all I could think was: Wow, you are every woman’s nightmare husband!

And the ending? His wife talking him back?
Well, I know a lot of people that think a cheater romance can have a redeemable cheater that groveled and realized his wrong doing and that that would make it all alright.

So, what happens when the cheater is not redeemed? What happens when he talks to a man tha...more
Christina
Jodi Picoult is probably one of my favorite authors, excluding Jane Austen, of course. I love the way her books grab a hold of you and don’t let you go until the very end. But probably my favorite thing is that she tackles tough moral issues in her novels.

Throughout the novel, I got the distinct suspicion that I had already read Mercy but never finished it. Maybe that was a sign of things to come.

I liked the story in Mercy and there certainly where some parts when Picoult grabbed at my heartstri...more
Heather
Having read quite a few Picoult books, I would absolutely label myself a fan of her work. But this book just didn't do it for me. There were two main story lines: one involving an affair between two characters, and one involving a man who kills his wife because she is dying of a terminal illness. The latter plot is the more compelling one, but unfortunately it is the former one that takes over the majority of the novel. There are constant allusions to the fact that the characters know each other...more
Milissa
So so so disappointed with this book. The book wasn't really about mercy/euthanasia, that was merely a periphery subplot. The book was mostly about Cam, the selfish & immature police chief. I really disliked Cam's character...but I kept reading...waiting for the "mercy" plot line. The "mercy" plot did not surface until almost the end of the book. Maybe Picoult didn't have enough substance to write a whole book about euthanasia, so she wrote a random book about Cam with the euthanasia subplot...more
Melissa
Apr 18, 2009 Melissa rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Melissa by: Ethics Professor
Maura
Jul 27, 2007 Maura rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those looking for a mindless read
I only read it a few weeks ago and can't really remember anything of the story. Didn't make much of an impression at all, but was good at distracting me from the fact that I was a passenger of an eight hour drive.
Sooraj Subramaniam
My introduction to Picoult - I wasn't disappointed (yes, the validation of traditional mid-afternoon-cup-of-tea-after-picking-the-kids-up-from-school values work for me) but I was bored.

The beginning was slow and annoyingly drawn out. I wanted to slap all the characters, especially Allie for being such a goody-two-shoes non-adventurous little house-frau. The middle of the book wasn't any more riveting, but the Cam-Mia affair was actually hot and sweet. The most interesting part, however, was th...more
Susan E
Another volume in my Picoult obsession... I'm starting to see the formula: ripped-from-the-headlines story; three or four characters presenting their point of view; a trial. Even knowing sort of what to expect, I still get caught up in the narratives.

I think I had the most visceral response to this book out of five or so others I have now read... I felt for the wife of the police and clan chief, who loved her husband more than he did. But also for her husband, who was so caught up in his attract...more
Holly
When I began reading Mercy I had every intention of ripping Picoult's characters to shreds in this review. I just couldn't wrap my head around any of them, from Allie's self-esteem issues and emotional dependance on her husband to Cam's lack of concern for the woman he claimed to love and ego. And we mustn't forget the alduterous Mia who finds no qualms in going to work for a woman who opened up her home to her and then sleeping with that same woman's husband that night. While at one point or an...more
Patricia
I'm on the same boat as ALOT of reviewers on this one: I adore JP's writing and the way she unfolds the story, but this particular story won't be on my Favorites list.

I was very interested in the Maggie/Jamie storyline and kept the pages turning to see what the outcome of the trial would be.

I found myself a little distracted by Uncle Angus and his deal with his flashbacks and such...

I know these women exist, but I was a little annoyed by Allie's naivety and complete devotion to Cam, and unques...more
William Land
Normally, Jodi Picoult's novels grab me like a house on fire. I care about her characters, the moral decisions and challenges they face, and the consequences of their actions.

However, I couldn't stand Cam. He was selfish, self-centered, controlling, bitter, and, generally, without kindness. An exception was when he provided funding for Jamie's lawyer.

Cam was also unnecessary cruel to his wife, Allie. In turn, though, she enabled his behavior until she discovered his affair. She stood up to him a...more
Thomas
The small town of Wheelock, Massachusetts is thrown for a loop when Jamie MacDonald, cousin of local police officer chief Cameron MacDonald, commits a mercy killing - the victim being his own wife. His wife, Maggie, had been suffering from various afflictions of cancer and one night asked him to take her life. He complied and smothered her with a pillow, then drove to Wheelock and confessed his crime. Cameron MacDonald then arrested his own cousin and brought him into custody where charges of mu...more
Jennifer Paytas
SavageGrace
Absolutely HATED this book! I usually find a few things I like about a story and highlight them for a review but this one has nothing for me to recommend, at all. Truly. I hated the characters, the style of writing, and the storyline-that-never-was. This is supposed to be a book about assistated suicide but 99% of it seemed to be about arranging flowers and a sickening adulterous affair between a husband and his wife's co-worker/stranger-who-has-no-allegiance-to-her-friend-or-sense-of-decency-or...more
Karen Cockerill
Reading this book was a God-incendence for me as the moral dilema faced in the booked has helped me relook my views on death, dying and someone's wish to want to die when life hands them a nasty curve. I felt that the different perspectives on death helped me to broaden my own point of view. I also liked the snippets on the more eccentric 'brews'. Althouh i didn't like the twist In Cam's life I felt that it fitted into the storyline and I sure many people will related to Cam, Allie and Mia's per...more
Mary
I started this book three times before actually getting hooked and finishing it. Jodi Picoult is one of my favorite authors, but this is not my favorite book by her.
I felt sorry for Allie and what she was going through. She was so devoted and in love with Cam, but he didn't return the infatuation. Mia was annoying and selfish. Angus was awesome! Jamie had a broken heart and did what he was asked to do, even though it meant he could go to jail for the rest of his life.
Overall it's a good book, i...more
Kendra
After reading many of the other reviews, I've come to realize I'm pretty much alone in my distaste of Allie and my understanding of Cam. Cam has always done what's expected of him, always at the cost of himself. Then he meets Mia and even though he's married to Allie, begins an affair with Mia. I understood his affair, mostly because it's hard to resist someone who understands you so much.

And I'd have shot myself being married to Allie. She had no fire, no life of her own. She built her entire w...more
Thilsath
How much..you can love someone? What if one of you love another more?
And if yes would you kill your loved ones just to end their suffering or would you go to a point of forgiving and forgetting the infidelity of your spouse.The word 'Mercy' wore the same meaning in these two different scenarios.Cam and Allie married for years and one day Cam decided to fall out of love with Allie by falling in love with Mia? Every time I read about the words of betrayal,I couldn't forgive Cam nor forget what he...more
Carole Anderson
I thought I had read every book Jodi Picoult had read, but missed this one. I really enjoyed this book. So often, JP's books are so hard to read; she tackles such tough topics. This was a tough topic, too, but so well written it didn't seem so wrenching, even though it was. Another good moral/ethical topic handled extremely well.
Jeanie
Mercy comes in many different forms and you will experience Mercy in Picoult fashion. The mercy of a husband's love for his wife and the mercy of a wife who forgives her husband are they the same or different. With contrasting characters, you become engaged, outraged, but never luke warm.

Could you love someone enough to end their life of suffering? Is it love to end their suffering? What is the breaking point? With mercy, you discover the breaking point of Jaime with his wife Maggie.

When a marr...more
Danielle
It's been a tough read. I have restarted this same book 3 times. I am currently in my fourth and I want to get close to straight through it. It is not that it isn't interesting, there is just alot of background knowledge throughout the first 200 pages.
Mafi
Gostei bastante mas longe dos meus preferidos, sinceramente a meio do livro já nem queria saber o que iria acontecer ao Jamie estava mais interessada na história da Allie e do Cam.
Melissa
Euthanasia is not usually a subject I like to read about, in any kind of context. I'm not sure why, it's just something that bothers me. This novel had a way of dispelling the discomfort of the subject by weaving it between many different relationships, as well as two other central love relationships. I've read novels I enjoy more by Picoult, and I think my liking this one less only comes from the fact that it pointed out so many things in my own relationship that are lacking. Somehow I think it...more
Bloody fingerprint 3 59 Dec 13, 2012 05:03PM
  • Blood Orange
  • Breaking the Silence
  • The Breakdown Lane
  • Waiting for the Moon
  • Where or When
  • The Slow Moon
  • Homecoming
Jodi Picoult is the author of twenty-two novels, including the #1 New York Times bestsellers The Storyteller, Lone Wolf, Between the Lines, Sing You Home, House Rules, Handle with Care, Change of Heart, Nineteen Minutes, and My Sister’s Keeper. She lives in New Hampshire with her husband and three children.

Her upcoming novel, LEAVING TIME, will be released on October 14, 2014.

Website: http://www.j...more
More about Jodi Picoult...
My Sister's Keeper Nineteen Minutes The Pact Plain Truth House Rules

“You know it's never fifty-fifty in a marriage. It's always seventy-thirty, or sixty-forty. Someone falls in love first. Someone puts someone else up on a pedestal. Someone works very hard to keep things rolling smoothly; someone else sails along for the ride.” 2056 likes
“How could you go about choosing something that would hold the half of your heart you had to bury?” 507 likes