Start by marking “Trophies: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Trophies: A Novel

Trophies: A Novel

Marion Zane is the top Trophy—she has it all: a faithful husband, loyal fellow-Trophy girlfriends, queen-bee status over the Hollywood "name-above-the-title" charities, and—best of all—no prenup!

She knows inside information is king, smiles hide jealousy, jackals lure husbands away (or, worse, steal personal assistants), housekeepers have the power to destroy, and that ever
Published April 8th 2008 by William Morrow (first published April 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Trophies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trophies

Claire
Jun 08, 2008 Claire rated it did not like it
This is a terrible, terrible book that no one should ever read. I was expecting sharp, clever satire, and what I got was poorly hashed-out, ham-handed pseudo-mystery with ill-written dialect for no reason anyone could possibly fathom. Dialect? I mean, really; it's rarely a good choice, but if you're going to do it, at least do it well. Also, you don't just get to insert Greek voodoo and expect it to fly. It would be best if Heather Thomas were prevented from ever writing again.
Herbert West
Jun 23, 2008 Herbert West rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and, despite what the first rather rude reviewer wrote, I can't wait for another book by Ms. Thomas, especially if future books are as well written as this one.

It is interesting to note that several brilliant writers have passed kudos along to Trophies, including Tom Ford, Ham Fish (Nation Mag), Norman Lear and Ridley Scott...There are many others, but rather than go on and on I'll just proclaim my happiness to be in their company rather than in the company of some
Nicole
Mar 25, 2012 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chick-lit
I love this book, while it is a long one, there is so much detail and I felt as though the ending was perfect wrapped up as it hsould be. I found the glimpse into the trophy wife world fansinating. It was great to see how friendship truly can be formed and that not all trophy wives are shallow and self-centered.
Mary (BookHounds)
Jan 12, 2009 Mary (BookHounds) rated it really liked it
Shelves: borrowed
This was such a fun read, but could have used a little editing to make the plot tighter. It reminded me a lot of Dominick Dunne with the back-stabbing socialites from LA. I could just imagine reading about these women in People magazine.
Izabella
Aug 04, 2011 Izabella rated it really liked it
It reads like a mad-cap comedy screenplay... a little screwball and a little contrived. But I still really enjoyed the read. Very tasty fluff. It's a perfect vacation book if you have any interest in celebrity culture and "reality" TV.
Shelley
One chapter was about all I could take. This book went back to the library.
Linda
Aug 11, 2008 Linda rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of chick lit
This is funny, with a few Very funny parts. Not sure it is true to life but so what!
Michele
Jul 30, 2008 Michele rated it liked it
Recommends it for: those looking for a mindless read
A Statue Cast in Pulp
If you like daytime television soap operas, you'll love this book. With a generous number of characters to wrap one's mind around, the author lures you into the world of Hollywood wealth, fame, debauchery, (BJ parties anyone?) D-cups, and Botox. With for-publicity fundraising as the primary redeeming quality to these otherwise shallow, status-and-money-conscious self-proclaimed "trophies," this is a sometimes amusing, sometimes painfully dull and slow-moving, sometimes juicy
Dana
Jun 20, 2008 Dana rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys a good read
Recommended to Dana by: Doug Dingee
Heather Thomas (remember her from "The Fall Guy" with Lee Majors back in the '80's) is a brilliantly clever writer! Trophies is a densely plotted book about an elite group of high profile women. Their antics are hysterical and their personalities addictive. The main character, Marion Zane is a modern-day heroin - you'll want to cheer for her! Marion is beautiful, rich, intelligent, and the lead Trophy. Although Marion's the envy of Hollywood Society, she has very few adversaries due to her ...more
Leslie
Dec 28, 2014 Leslie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fun, hollywood
When I picked up this book at the thrift store I was primarily attracted by the cover art. I love books of this genre, Jackie Collins, Olivia Goldsmith. When I realized the author was Heather Thomas of 80's TV fame I thought well it can't be any worse than the drivel Pamela Anderson published.

This was a really enjoyable book. It features the imagined lives of Beverly Hills Trophy wives. The characters are well formed and the backgrounds interesting. Sure there are a lot of tropes that you expect
Andrea
May 18, 2009 Andrea rated it liked it
It took me a while to get into this book. I kept getting all of the different characters confused, along with the details of each character. To me, this was just an okay book. I didn't really feel any warmth from any of the characters. I found myself not really wanting to read it. It did pick up towards the end though and I liked the ending (although I did figure it out before I read it). Overall, an okay book.
Abby Jean
Jan 16, 2011 Abby Jean rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
perfectly adequate hollywood rich wives dealing with rich people problems while wearing rich people clothes in rich people cars and eating rich people food at rich people restaurants. a pleasant diversion.
Rio (Lynne)
Jul 26, 2010 Rio (Lynne) rated it did not like it
Not even a 1 star! I was looking forward to reading this. The reviews were "Heather Thomas is the new Jackie Collins" NOT! I quit at 40 pages. Boring. It didn't flow. If you want Glamour, Sex and Glitz read the real Jackie Collins, JJ Salem and Tilly Bagshawe.
Abby
Jul 10, 2010 Abby rated it really liked it
Recommended to Abby by: random store browsing
Shelves: chicklit, read_2010
While a bit unrealistic, a fun and heavier than usual chick-lit book, both in subject and in pages. Fun and serious at the same time. The secondary characters are the best part of this book- seriously fun and perfectly peppered in the plot.
Heather
Aug 18, 2012 Heather rated it did not like it
This book doesn't even deserve 1 star. I tried to read it all, I really did. After I got half way through, though, I couldn't handle it. This book was shallow, boring, and lifeless.
Rachel
May 15, 2009 Rachel rated it liked it
First book for Heather Thomas. Fun and light. My husband kept asking me what I was laughing about. A good beach or poolside read.
Sandy Allen
Aug 04, 2008 Sandy Allen rated it did not like it
Jackie Collin's wannabe......type of book you bring to the beach and don't mind when the surf licks its edges while you sleep!
Meaghan
Jan 22, 2014 Meaghan rated it really liked it
crazy story of the rich wives of hollywood power players. marion's black book sure comes in handy! crazy characters and even more insane plotlines but enjoyable all the same.
Mulva
Jun 22, 2009 Mulva rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Holloywood Wives fans
This is nothing more than a guilty pleasure book, but if half of what Heather Thomas writes really is true of being rich and fabulous, I wouldn't mind it a bit.
Kimber
Dec 26, 2011 Kimber rated it really liked it
There is a bit of blue language here, and not everyone will like it, but for me it was a guilty pleasure.
Stacy
I loved this book.. Its on my top ten list of favorites... I hardly cleaned my house because i couldnt put it down!!:) hope to c something soon from heather, esp.with the same characters;)
Tom
Jan 20, 2011 Tom rated it really liked it
A guilty pleasurable read. Desperate Houswives on steroids. Lots of funny moments. Would make a great series on cable TV.
Kendra
Kendra rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2011
Francie
Francie rated it it was ok
Oct 11, 2011
Kourtney
Kourtney rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2009
Jenn Tolbert
Jenn Tolbert rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2014
Alix
Alix rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2013
Jo
Jo rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2009
KC
KC rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2009
Heather Thomas grew up in Santa Monica in the ‘60s, California’s golden Mesozoic age, when public schools were the envy of the nation and teachers lived on the same streets as Aerospace executives. As the daughter of a PhD psychologist dad and a stay-at-home-mom-with-a-masters and the younger sibling of a genius older sister, Heather knew that the family academic bar was kind of high. But her ...more
More about Heather Thomas...