Start by marking “Revolt in the Desert” as Want to Read:
Revolt in the Desert

Revolt in the Desert

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  228 ratings  ·  23 reviews
The extraordinary transformation of the young T.E. Lawrence into Lawrence of Arabia is paralleled by the miraculous survival of the text he was to write about his exploits. In this book, Lawrence tells his story in his own words, describing his arrival among the Arabs, the lure of the desert, and the armed revolt against the Turks. Includes vivid portraits of great Arab le ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 438 pages
Published September 1st 1990 by ISIS Large Print Books (first published January 1st 1927)

To ask other readers questions about Revolt in the Desert, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Revolt in the Desert

T. E. Lawrences classic history/biography of his involvment in the middle east during the War To End All wars.
The basis for the great movie, Lawrence of Arabia, it stands very well upon its own legs.
Irreverent and honest, he speaks casually of his great impact on the area and the nature of the rich cultures he encounters, the terrible privations he and his compatriots underwent, the black cruelty as well as the acts of spontanious nobility encountered with a voice that lays each to stand for the
Геллее Авбакар
Revolt in the Desert, is another account of Lawrence as a liaison Officer between Britain and Arab revolts, In fact what makes me write this review is that I got in touch with the poetic style that Lawrence used to express some psychological feelings. In reality this book should be picked in the best shelf of the British literature.
James McAllister
This version of events is more accessible than Seven Pillars and most of the more outre episodes ( which people who knew him say were total fantasy) are not included.
I re-read the book because one of my colleagues asked how Islamic State had been so successful in Syria and North Iraq.
Before I recommended this book to him I gave it a read just in case my old memory was playing tricks.

But my memory was true. In this book Lawrence writes down the very basics of guerrilla warfare which all insurgen
Wu Ming
WM4: Salvate il soldato Lawrence. Dopo settant'anni di dibattito sulla sua figura, davvero non meritava di essere buttato sul mercato editoriale senza nemmeno due parole di accompagnamento. Spedito fuori dalla trincea senza nessuno a coprirlo. Fior di carriere critico-letterarie si sono costruite o infrante davanti al mito di Lawrence d'Arabia, e forse quando un editore sceglie di pubblicare un testo come Rivolta nel deserto, datato 1927, una prefazione sarebbe cosa buona e giusta. Non l'ha pens ...more
يسرا تلاباي
يبدو أنه كتاب رائع لم أستطع إكماله لعدم تمكني التام من اللغة الانجليزية :(
Lawrence wrote his memoirs of the WW1 war against the Ottoman Empire as a 780 page long book "The seven pillars of wisdom" but heavily in debt was forced by his publishers to rush out an abridged version. He hated it and refused to allow even the most basic editing. Consequently it has many different variants on place names, often fails to clarify the vast array of characters in the Arab army or the overall development of the war. On the other hand it conveys brilliantly the characters, countrys ...more
This text is an unnecessary abridgment of one of the most compelling and beautifully written non-fiction works of the 20th century, Seven Pillars of Wisdom. While fans and collectors of Lawrence's work may find the book of interest, new readers should disregard this text and direct their attention to Seven Pillars of Wisdom post-haste.
كتاب يحكي تفاصيل الثوره العربيه على الأتراك وأحداث الحرب العالميه الأولى ومابعدها من تحريك وتحريض للعرب على الأتراك بإدارة المخابرات البريطانيه
!ووصولا إلى إتمام الوعد وتسليم فلسطين

بعيداً عن الضيافة والعادات العربيه , مع لورنس تحديداً أحسست أن العرب أغبى شعوب الأرض, فالمطامع أوضح من شمسهم الحارقه
كتاب يحمل من العار مايجعلك تكمله بعينٍ واحده:)
May 15, 2007 Ryan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in the Arab world or the Middle East.
One of my favorite adventure books that i have read since childhood. For anyone interested in the Arab world it is a MUST. No way around it. Incredible writing, unbelievable action, made all the more intense by the fact that it DID happen. Great introduction to Arab culture, habits, and viewpoints. All around a phenomenal book.
A vivid, first hand, account of a key period in modern history. A must read for anyone trying to understand and appreciate some of the background to the complex problems of the Middle East today.
"Revolt In The Desert", T.E. Lawrence, 1927. Distinctive, rare and expensive, the powerful, fire breathing 1933 Brough Superior motorcycle was a classic in it's own time. Lawrence of Arabia suffered a fatal brain injury while riding his Superior. Highly intellectual, literary, and courageous in battle, T.S. Lawrence was not only a talented military officer, but also an accomplished archeologist. Having survived a life magnetically drawn to adventure and risk, and well known for indulging in seve ...more
Jennifer Taw
In his telling of his efforts to help the Arabs rise up against the Ottomans, Lawrence vividly describes the dangers, but also the moral and intellectual challenges, he faced.
This was the less detailed version of T E Lawrence's Seven Pillars of Wisdom , edited down from the original. Lawrence didn't want the general public to see any book by or about him, but he needed money after Arabia, to live on. He finally agreed to let this book appear but every time there was any publicity about him, even to promote one of his own books, he suffered desperately from the public exposure.
This is a memoir written by T. E. Lawrence ("Lawrence of Arabia") about his involvement with the Arab revolt during WW I.

Well, I only made it about a third of the way through this book. It was well written, with colorful language. However, I lost interest. I guess there was just one too many long desert crossings without much happening.

In the future, I may go back and try to finish it.
One of the best books ever written.

“All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake up in the day to find it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”

Lawrence has the ability to project full HD into your brain.
Sep 26, 2007 Joe marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love the movie Lawrence of Arabia (not just cause there are no women in it), and I'm quite intruiged by his writings, so I have to get to them.
Le témoignage d'un agent secret anglais pendant la première guerre mondiale, dont l'action va redessiner le visage de la région.
For those who find "Seven Pillars of Wisdom" heavy slogging
This is the one I read, I've heard the full version is better. Worth it for Auda alone. Warning, much different than the film.
Very interesting and exciting. Defiantly one of the greatest books of all time!
Steven Harris
Middle East,history,Arabs,Turks,orientalism
T E Lawrence is a fascinating character
Ben marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Deni De Giorgi
Deni De Giorgi marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
  • The Great War: A Combat History of the First World War
  • Back in the Fight: The Explosive Memoir of a Special Operator Who Never Gave Up
  • War from the Ground Up: Twenty-First Century Combat as Politics. Emile Simpson
  • Heroes of History
  • Rommel: The Desert Fox
  • Infantry Attacks
  • The Savior Generals: How Five Great Commanders Saved Wars That Were Lost - From Ancient Greece to Iraq
  • Jefferson the President: Second Term, 1805-1809
  • A Brief History of the Crusades: Islam and Christianity in the Struggle for World Supremacy
  • Gentlemen Bastards: On the Ground in Afghanistan with America's Elite Special Forces
  • Beyond the Call: The True Story of One World War II Pilot's Covert Mission to Rescue POWs on the Eastern Front
  • Dear Mom: A Sniper's Vietnam
  • The American Heritage Picture History of the Civil War
  • The Great Democracies (A History of the English Speaking Peoples, #4)
  • Chronicle of Youth: The War Diary, 1913-1917
  • General George Washington: A Military Life
  • The Turkish Embassy Letters
  • Abraham Lincoln: A Presidential Life
Born Thomas Edward Lawrence, and known professionally as T. E. Lawrence, though the world came to know him as Lawrence of Arabia. In 1922, Lawrence used the name John Hume Ross to enlist in the RAF; after being discovered and forced out, he took the name T. E. Shaw to join the Royal Tank Corps (1923). He was eventually let back into the RAF (1925).
More about T.E. Lawrence...