Revolt in the Desert

Revolt in the Desert

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  156 ratings  ·  17 reviews
The extraordinary transformation of the young T.E. Lawrence into Lawrence of Arabia is paralleled by the miraculous survival of the text he was to write about his exploits. In this book, Lawrence tells his story in his own words, describing his arrival among the Arabs, the lure of the desert, and the armed revolt against the Turks. Includes vivid portraits of great Arab le...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 438 pages
Published September 1st 1990 by ISIS Large Print Books (first published January 1st 1927)

Геллее Авбакар
Revolt in the Desert, is another account of Lawrence as a liaison Officer between Britain and Arab revolts, In fact what makes me write this review is that I got in touch with the poetic style that Lawrence used to express some psychological feelings. In reality this book should be picked in the best shelf of the British literature.
Wu Ming
WM4: Salvate il soldato Lawrence. Dopo settant'anni di dibattito sulla sua figura, davvero non meritava di essere buttato sul mercato editoriale senza nemmeno due parole di accompagnamento. Spedito fuori dalla trincea senza nessuno a coprirlo. Fior di carriere critico-letterarie si sono costruite o infrante davanti al mito di Lawrence d'Arabia, e forse quando un editore sceglie di pubblicare un testo come Rivolta nel deserto, datato 1927, una prefazione sarebbe cosa buona e giusta. Non l'ha pens...more
BGP
This text is an unnecessary abridgment of one of the most compelling and beautifully written non-fiction works of the 20th century, Seven Pillars of Wisdom. While fans and collectors of Lawrence's work may find the book of interest, new readers should disregard this text and direct their attention to Seven Pillars of Wisdom post-haste.
Ghazi
كتاب يحكي تفاصيل الثوره العربيه على الأتراك وأحداث الحرب العالميه الأولى ومابعدها من تحريك وتحريض للعرب على الأتراك بإدارة المخابرات البريطانيه
!ووصولا إلى إتمام الوعد وتسليم فلسطين

بعيداً عن الضيافة والعادات العربيه , مع لورنس تحديداً أحسست أن العرب أغبى شعوب الأرض, فالمطامع أوضح من شمسهم الحارقه
كتاب يحمل من العار مايجعلك تكمله بعينٍ واحده:)
Jeff
"Revolt In The Desert", T.E. Lawrence, 1927. Distinctive, rare and expensive, the powerful, fire breathing 1933 Brough Superior motorcycle was a classic in it's own time. Lawrence of Arabia suffered a fatal brain injury while riding his Superior. Highly intellectual, literary, and courageous in battle, T.S. Lawrence was not only a talented military officer, but also an accomplished archeologist. Having survived a life magnetically drawn to adventure and risk, and well known for indulging in seve...more
Jennifer Taw
In his telling of his efforts to help the Arabs rise up against the Ottomans, Lawrence vividly describes the dangers, but also the moral and intellectual challenges, he faced.
Miles
This was the less detailed version of T E Lawrence's Seven Pillars of Wisdom , edited down from the original. Lawrence didn't want the general public to see any book by or about him, but he needed money after Arabia, to live on. He finally agreed to let this book appear but every time there was any publicity about him, even to promote one of his own books, he suffered desperately from the public exposure.
Jim
This is a memoir written by T. E. Lawrence ("Lawrence of Arabia") about his involvement with the Arab revolt during WW I.

Well, I only made it about a third of the way through this book. It was well written, with colorful language. However, I lost interest. I guess there was just one too many long desert crossings without much happening.

In the future, I may go back and try to finish it.
Tom
One of the best books ever written.

“All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake up in the day to find it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”

Lawrence has the ability to project full HD into your brain.
Ryan
May 15, 2007 Ryan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in the Arab world or the Middle East.
One of my favorite adventure books that i have read since childhood. For anyone interested in the Arab world it is a MUST. No way around it. Incredible writing, unbelievable action, made all the more intense by the fact that it DID happen. Great introduction to Arab culture, habits, and viewpoints. All around a phenomenal book.
John
A vivid, first hand, account of a key period in modern history. A must read for anyone trying to understand and appreciate some of the background to the complex problems of the Middle East today.
Joe
Sep 26, 2007 Joe marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love the movie Lawrence of Arabia (not just cause there are no women in it), and I'm quite intruiged by his writings, so I have to get to them.
Yann
Le témoignage d'un agent secret anglais pendant la première guerre mondiale, dont l'action va redessiner le visage de la région.
jobiwan6
For those who find "Seven Pillars of Wisdom" heavy slogging
Monte
This is the one I read, I've heard the full version is better. Worth it for Auda alone. Warning, much different than the film.
Elaine
Very interesting and exciting. Defiantly one of the greatest books of all time!
Steven Harris
Middle East,history,Arabs,Turks,orientalism
Victoria
T E Lawrence is a fascinating character
Goldie
Goldie is currently reading it
Jul 23, 2014
الحنينْ
الحنينْ marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Islam Baher
Islam Baher marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Lisa Graas
Lisa Graas marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
  • Steel My Soldiers' Hearts: The Hopeless to Hardcore Transformation of U.S. Army, 4th Battalion, 39th Infantry, Vietnam
  • Ripples of Battle: How Wars of the Past Still Determine How We Fight, How We Live & How We Think
  • Brave New War: The Next Stage of Terrorism and the End of Globalization
  • Tiger Force: A True Story of Men and War
  • The Transformation Of War
  • Chief of Station, Congo: Fighting the Cold War in a Hot Zone
  • Abraham Lincoln: A Presidential Life
  • Killing Custer: The Battle of Little Big Horn and the Fate of the Plains Indians
  • Blood, Tears and Folly: An Objective Look at World War II
  • Great Speeches
  • The Hydrogen Economy
  • Counterinsurgency
Born Thomas Edward Lawrence, and known professionally as T. E. Lawrence, though the world came to know him as Lawrence of Arabia. In 1922, Lawrence used the name John Hume Ross to enlist in the RAF; after being discovered and forced out, he took the name T. E. Shaw to join the Royal Tank Corps (1923). He was eventually let back into the RAF (1925).
More about T.E. Lawrence...
Seven Pillars of Wisdom: A Triumph (The Authorized Doubleday/Doran Edition) The Mint (Modern Classics) The Selected Letters T. E. Lawrence: The Selected Letters Evolution of a Revolt