You Do Not Talk About Fight Club: I Am Jack's Completely Unauthorized Essay Collection

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Pervasive and multidisciplinary, this insightful exploration discusses how and why this seminal work developed, and continues to grow, such a cult following. WhenFight Clubpunched its way onto the scene a decade ago, it provided an unprecedented glimpse into the American male’s psyche and rapidly turned into a euphemism for a variety of things that should be “just understo...more
Published August 11th 2008 by BenBella Books

To ask other readers questions about You Do Not Talk About Fight Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Do Not Talk About Fight Club

Caris
I think Fight Club is one of the most important books of the current era. It addresses consumerism, violence, boys growing up without fathers, and lives devoid of feeling. I was excited when this book came out and jumped on it immediately.

In my opinion, this book is not really worth reading. The essays, though there are obvious exceptions, don't add to the depth of the Fight Club or even explore the themes living below the surface. Too many of the themes focused on the obvious homoerotic imagery...more
R.
Apr 11, 2008 R. marked it as to-read
So, what's next?

Birds Ate My Face: What We're Talking About When We Talk about Invisible Monsters ...?

Doug Vanderweide
I have newfound appreciation for grade-school teachers.

"Weekend spent correcting book reports, most written by people who only saw the film" not only serves as fair analogy to reading this collection, it's every bit as awful as it sounds.

All the essays here come from metaphilm, a Web site. As such, the essays tend to focus on the film version of Fight Club. Most at least acknowledge the differences between the book and the film, but where there are differences, the focus is on the film version.

U...more
oriana
Super cool essay collection that makes me really want to reread Fight Club, and watch the movie again too. As with any collection, it's a bit uneven, but the good essays are freaking great. Probably the best is the one that postulates that Jack and Tyler Durden are the grown-up versions of Calvin and Hobbes. Oh hell yeah.
Bria
I'll be honest with you: this book lies. It claims to be "completely unauthorized", and yet, Chuck Palahniuk does the introduction. Now, I don't know if he actually holds the rights to Fight Club, so maybe if it only said "unauthorized" I would let it slide, but "completely unauthorized" is clearly just not the case.
Annie
Jun 10, 2008 Annie added it
if you liked fight club you'll love this
its like expilations for the book
its really great
Jim
Sep 28, 2008 Jim rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
well diverse opinions and thoughts on fight club.
Emmeline Kateson
Emmeline Kateson marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Sloan Regal
Sloan Regal marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Caitlin Jarvis
Caitlin Jarvis marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Kyle Yeager
Kyle Yeager marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Kristin Marie
Kristin Marie marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Beata
Beata marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Susana Wonacott
Susana Wonacott marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Jasmine
Jasmine marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
OddModicum Rachel
OddModicum Rachel marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
John Kirby
John Kirby marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Norma
Norma marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Chris Huddleston
Chris Huddleston marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Heather Funnell
Heather Funnell marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
  • The Psychology of Twilight
  • The Hunger Games and Philosophy: A Critique of Pure Treason
  • The Art of the Ridiculous Sublime: On David Lynch's Lost Highway
  • The Uncollected Stories of William Faulkner
  • Doctor Who and Philosophy: Bigger on the Inside (Popular Culture and Philosophy)
Understanding Jacques Ellul Understanding Jacques Ellul