Start by marking “You Do Not Talk About Fight Club: I Am Jack's Completely Unauthorized Essay Collection” as Want to Read:

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Pervasive and multidisciplinary, this insightful exploration discusses how and why this seminal work developed, and continues to grow, such a cult following. WhenFight Clubpunched its way onto the scene a decade ago, it provided an unprecedented glimpse into the American male’s psyche and rapidly turned into a euphemism for a variety of things that should be “just understo ...more
Published August 11th 2008 by BenBella Books

To ask other readers questions about You Do Not Talk About Fight Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Do Not Talk About Fight Club

Caris
I think Fight Club is one of the most important books of the current era. It addresses consumerism, violence, boys growing up without fathers, and lives devoid of feeling. I was excited when this book came out and jumped on it immediately.

In my opinion, this book is not really worth reading. The essays, though there are obvious exceptions, don't add to the depth of the Fight Club or even explore the themes living below the surface. Too many of the themes focused on the obvious homoerotic imagery
R.
Apr 11, 2008 R. marked it as to-read
So, what's next?

Birds Ate My Face: What We're Talking About When We Talk about Invisible Monsters ...?

Doug Vanderweide
I have newfound appreciation for grade-school teachers.

"Weekend spent correcting book reports, most written by people who only saw the film" not only serves as fair analogy to reading this collection, it's every bit as awful as it sounds.

All the essays here come from metaphilm, a Web site. As such, the essays tend to focus on the film version of Fight Club. Most at least acknowledge the differences between the book and the film, but where there are differences, the focus is on the film version.

U
Oriana
Super cool essay collection that makes me really want to reread Fight Club, and watch the movie again too. As with any collection, it's a bit uneven, but the good essays are freaking great. Probably the best is the one that postulates that Jack and Tyler Durden are the grown-up versions of Calvin and Hobbes. Oh hell yeah.
Bria
I'll be honest with you: this book lies. It claims to be "completely unauthorized", and yet, Chuck Palahniuk does the introduction. Now, I don't know if he actually holds the rights to Fight Club, so maybe if it only said "unauthorized" I would let it slide, but "completely unauthorized" is clearly just not the case.
Annie
Jun 10, 2008 Annie added it
if you liked fight club you'll love this
its like expilations for the book
its really great
Jim
Sep 28, 2008 Jim rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
well diverse opinions and thoughts on fight club.
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Mark Cameron
Mark Cameron marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Amy Batson
Amy Batson marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Chris Collins
Chris Collins marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Chris Phitzman
Chris Phitzman marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Zackary Elliott
Zackary Elliott marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Noah
Noah marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Jennifer Jacobs
Jennifer Jacobs marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
AishiaM
AishiaM marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Mick Glenn
Mick Glenn marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Sarah Grace Lawson
Sarah Grace Lawson marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Erin Schucker
Erin Schucker marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Kate Enjaian
Kate Enjaian marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Spot
Spot marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Elise Borgese
Elise Borgese marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Matthew Gilman
Matthew Gilman marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
  • Mister Elegant
  • Inside Joss' Dollhouse: From Alpha to Rossum
  • The Improv Handbook: The Ultimate Guide to Improvising in Comedy, Theatre, and Beyond
  • Magnificent Mistakes
  • Farewell Navigator: Stories
  • Power-Up: How Japanese Video Games Gave the World an Extra Life
  • Werewolves and Shape Shifters: Encounters with the Beasts Within
  • Chicks Unravel Time: Women Journey Through Every Season of Doctor Who
  • Doctor Who and Philosophy: Bigger on the Inside (Popular Culture and Philosophy)
  • What If Our World is Their Heaven?: The Final Conversations
  • The Complete Stories
  • Quentin Tarantino and Philosophy
  • Ryder
You Do Not Talk about Fight Club: I Am Jack's Completely Unauthorized Essay Collection Understanding Jacques Ellul Understanding Jacques Ellul