Start by marking “La Mujer Desnuda” as Want to Read:
La Mujer Desnuda

La Mujer Desnuda (Studies of the Human Body #1)

El cuerpo femenino tal y como lo conocemos es el resultado de una serie de cambios fascinantes a lo largo de su evolución. Las mujeres han sufrido transformaciones espectaculares, muy superiores a las del hombre. Durante millones de años, las formas femeninas se han ido forjando a través de asombrosos ajustes y sutiles refinamientos en un proceso evolutivo en el que la muj ...more
Paperback
Published by Planeta (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about La Mujer Desnuda, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La Mujer Desnuda

Jun 26, 2007 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All women! And anyone interested in biology.
Shelves: funbooks
Desmond's theories blew me away. They just make so much sense to me! I love it. I loved his thoughts on hair in particular...

Human hair just doesn't make any sense at all when you compare us to the other primates.

His explainations always sound reasonable and what's more - he can put his thoughts down in an interesting and fun way.
Andrea Ellis
Oct 26, 2011 Andrea Ellis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: factual
everyone should read this to know how and why we are the way we are - extremely interesting!
Christopher Roth
As usual, Morris shows very sloppy thinking in how he handles the interaction between nature and culture, a flaw he shares with many primatologists and evolutionary psychologists. When he discusses cross-cultural or historical differences in body image patterns and practices, he never questions whether universality or large statistical preponderance among cultures is sufficient to say that an attitude or practice is evolutionarily dictated or not. The only exception to this is his invocation of ...more
Shannon Vyff
Mar 14, 2008 Shannon Vyff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recommend owning this book, along with The Naked Man -so you can read them at the same time. The chapters about the various parts of the body are in the same order, and it is great to go back and forth comparing the evolution of features in men, with the same features in women.
Victoria Haf
Si has leído el mono desnudo, no tiene caso leer este, es muy repetitivo, pero si no lo has leído puede ser interesante, aunque considero el mono desnudo y el zoo humano mucho más interesantes por abarcar un área más grande, también es un poco raro que un hombre caiga en describir a la mujer porque hay pequeñas cosas que no siento que sean verdaderas, quizá sea porque ya no son tan actuales, por ejemplo dice que la danza del vientre es una danza masturbatoria para hacer que el sultán eyaculara y ...more
Clare
Jan 09, 2009 Clare rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Desmond Morris is a bit of a dirty old man - after reading this I felt I needed to take a shower, although there are some truly interesting insights into the female body if you can stand the grubby and voyeuristic tone.
Jonathan
Dec 13, 2008 Jonathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nearly as good as "Naked Ape", but not as far reaching.
Siobhan O' Sullivan
great book, some really obscure trivia! well worth the read
lucie
Dec 18, 2008 lucie is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
everybody needs to read this book
Pietia
Jan 26, 2017 Pietia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-own
Każda kobieta ma piękne ciało. Nie, nie przeczytałem tej książki by dopiero się o tym przekonać. Lata tzw. obserwacji uczestniczącej w tej kwestii zrobiły już swoje.... Jednak po lekturze utwierdziłem się w tym przekonaniu jeszcze bardziej. Brytyjski zoolog, autorytet w badaniach nad zachowaniem ludzi i zwierząt Desmond Morris niemal na każdej stronicy swojej książki udowadnia tę tezę, przedstawiając ciało kobiety jako wspaniały efekt końcowy ewolucji trwającej miliony lat. Dla mnie ta książka j ...more
Caitlin
Jan 23, 2017 Caitlin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
I picked up this book thinking it would be interesting, and while it certainly started out that way, the author's one track mind eventually became a bit unsettling, and rather detracted from the whole reading experience. (Seriously, can he talk about sex a little bit less!)
Jael
Aug 14, 2013 Jael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Earlier this year before I graduated from my community college, a classmate in my Comparative Animal Behavior class recommended Desmond Morris to me (specifically this book and also the Naked Man).

The book was interesting and Morris did explain the technical terms he used. One thing with biology in terms of evolution is the explanation of not only how something came about but also the why. Morris does delve into his opinion of the why of the human body, but sometimes he doesn't lay it out all a
Ivo Fernandes
This book is focused on the differences between the man average body and the female average body. But is not only about the body, the genres are also different in mind.

The main thesis of the book is that before Adam Smith, Henry Ford, and all this society of specialization, the first division of labour that our species had, was between mans and womans, and that made that the natural selection for mans and womans were totally different in some aspects.

Mans need to hunt, make big distances to gath
Aries
Aug 01, 2012 Aries rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"L'Animale Donna" è l'ultimo libro di Desmond Morris, grande etologo inglese che oltre ad aver studiato il comportamento animale si è dedicato per anni allo studio di quell'animale più unico che raro rappresentato dall'uomo.Dopo "La scimmia nuda", in cui ha iniziato questo viaggio di scoperta, "Il comportamento intimo", in cui ha approfondito i rapporti intimi tra esseri umani e "Lo zoo umano", dove ha analizzato le società moderne, lo studioso ha deciso di lanciarsi nella disamina di quella che ...more
Mac
Oct 14, 2011 Mac rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anatomy
For those of you who judges a book by its cover and think that people reading this is a pervert, let me tell you that it's not what you think. There are some topless female in it, but they are there to represent female anatomy. I purchased it for the sake of curiosity; to understand better about women (as they are such complicated creatures). The (male) readers can understand how the brain of a female is wired, and how their distinctive emotions influence them through the course of their lives. ...more
Veena
Apr 07, 2015 Veena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Naked Woman by Desmond Morris is a book every woman should read at least once. It explores the females body through its different sections. Morris describes the female frame in much detail literally from the hair to toe. But this is far from a boring anatomy read that it looks to be. The book entertains: be it through “women protruding their naked buttocks at the front door in the hope of warding off storms” or through other absurd stories about women offering males apples laced with armpit ...more
Marjan
Feb 02, 2014 Marjan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science, art, shamanism
Not being familiar with the author I expected something completely different, perhaps a bit more poetic journey trough the art and looks of femininity. Despite having some elements of that too, this book largely delivers a surface anatomy of female body in very anthropological terms. Each chapter examines one distinct part of female body in terms of its evolution, medical function and use, sexual appeal, gesturing, and finally its metaphorical meaning that penetrates our subconscious thinking, a ...more
Librarian Kate
Jan 04, 2012 Librarian Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this as a companion piece to Morris's book "The Naked Man" (which was donated to the LGBT library I volunteer with), and although I'm a big fan on Desmond Morris in general, I thought this book was fascinating. He covers, literally from head to toes, the aspects of the female human body that are unique and amazing, and discusses the social and historical impact that different cultural attitudes toward each body part.

For anyone who is interested in human cultural history, or who wants to
Sehar  Moughal
I have ambiguous feelings about the explanations provided by Desmond; I love that his text made sense and almost everyone would understand because of the simplicity in his writing. Yet, I cringed at every generalization made.

I would describe the book as a wok filled with food; every time you shake it, variety of food comes to the surface. The text is rich and colourful. It is filled with history, ancient tales and beliefs, biology and theories of why women are the way they are...Oh, and there a
Erasmusser
Jun 10, 2012 Erasmusser rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: evolution, biology
I'm interested in evolution and biology, and this book is a nice extra to my collection. I have to admit that Mr. Morris is not always so accurate, and I doubt some of the things he claims. However; a substantial part of evolution is guessing, and some of his guessings make sense. I learned something about the female body, so I'm a happy man. I won't use it as a bible though. Next to that; the book is pleasantly written (read it in Dutch), no jargon so it's easy to read, and I like his style.

Nex
Ram Kishor Poddar
A concise masterpiece on Anthropology. Mr Morris is not only an authority on the subject but also knows hows to narrate it well. A very eye opening read. I would recommend it to be read chapterwise along with another book in same line " The Naked Man".This gives a wholesome picture on anatomy of both the sexes. A google search here and there while reading, throws some awinspiring aspects.
I have always been a big fan of Desmond Morris and hats off to him for yet another masterpiece.
Joe Henry
Jan 13, 2011 Joe Henry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At 80 years old, Desmond Morris is still at it. He began his career as a zoologist and was curator of Mammals at the London Zoo. His book, The Naked Ape, was an international best-seller that sold more than a million copies in 15 different languages.

I generally find his stuff interesting and informative.
Meghnad
Jul 25, 2012 Meghnad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Desmond Morris is one of those writers that make you think so hard that your world is turned upside down. By lucidly explaining the Human animal, it's anatomy and juxtaposing it with Historical evidence, he manages to create a fairy-tale like narrative. Loved this book. Much recommended.
Anna
Sep 17, 2012 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating look at female anatomy. All parts explained by science, from the hair to the feet. It is written from a perspective in which female's sex partners are always male, but not in a judgy or demeaning way.
Zöe Yu
Sep 08, 2012 Zöe Yu rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: american
it's a nice book. but too many general information.

also it reminds me Susan Sontag's "against interpretation" and "illness and its metaphor", there are too many things currently with metaphor. what if every part of our body is just the way it should be, no extra metaphor.
Elizabeth Moffat
I enjoyed this as I did the naked man before it. Entertaining, interesting and at times controversial I've learned things that have surprised and enlightened me.
Sara
Jun 12, 2007 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
For anyone who likes zoology directed at humans this would be a good choice. very interesting, though more depth is needed.
Marti
Dec 30, 2012 Marti rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A tratti colpisce con qualche curiosit��, per�� �� enciclopedico e un po' barboso... Ma riuscivo a leggerlo in un periodo stressante.
Sonia
Nov 07, 2012 Sonia rated it liked it
Shelves: ensayo
Interesante aproximación al cuerpo femenino lastrada por un punto de vista desfasado, aunque no puede negarse la fascinación del autor por el tema que trata.
Jenny
Apr 24, 2011 Jenny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick and interesting book around female body. For people who want to know more about the different parts of our body, explained with a good background.
  • In Paul Klee's Enchanted Garden
  • Beauty Junkies: Inside Our $15 Billion Obsession With Cosmetic Surgery
  • Expletive Deleted: A Good Look at Bad Language
  • African Exodus: The Origins of Modern Humanity
  • Fashion: The Ultimate Book of Costume and Style
  • The Complete Costume History / Vollstandige Kostumgeschichte / Le Costume Historique
  • Aloha Betrayed: Native Hawaiian Resistance to American Colonialism
  • The Most Dangerous Animal: Human Nature and the Origins of War
  • Origins Reconsidered: In Search of What Makes Us Human
  • 'Isms & 'Ologies: All the Movements, Ideologies and Doctrines That Have Shaped Our World
  • The Industrial Vagina: The Political Economy of the Global Sex Trade
  • Calvin and Hobbes 1: Thereby Hangs a Tale
  • Biology as Ideology: The Doctrine of DNA
  • The Technology of Orgasm: "Hysteria," the Vibrator, and Women's Sexual Satisfaction
  • The Last Human: A Guide to Twenty-Two Species of Extinct Humans
  • Masters of Deception: Escher, Dali, and the Artists of Optical Illusion
  • The Xenophobe's Guide to the Germans
  • The Descent of Woman: The Classic Study of Evolution
Desmond John Morris is most famous for his work as a zoologist and ethologist, but is also known as a surrealist artist and author.

More about Desmond Morris...

Studies of the Human Body (2 books)
  • The Naked Man: A Study of the Male Body