Start by marking “100 Essential Modern Poems by Women” as Want to Read:
100 Essential Modern Poems by Women

100 Essential Modern Poems by Women

'100 Essential Modern Poems by Women' presents the masterpieces of 48 great women poets, tracing the evolution of their art in the English language over the past 150 years.
Published March 27th 2008 by Ivan R. Dee Publisher

To ask other readers questions about 100 Essential Modern Poems by Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 100 Essential Modern Poems by Women

Shannon Moore
Oct 29, 2016 Shannon Moore rated it really liked it
I loved the biographies of all these amazing women poets. I wrote down my favorites so I can look them up later. Inspired me to start writing poetry again.
Kerfe
Feb 27, 2010 Kerfe rated it liked it
Shelves: essays, poetry
"Songs are like tattoos...
...
...ink on a pin
underneath the skin
an empty space to fill in"

That's Joni Mitchell, and the same applies to poetry. There needs to be music there, behind the words, something that gets under the skin.

Joni is not in this volume. No songwriters are in this volume. No women under age 50 are in this volume.

So..."essential"? "the greatest"? There is good, even great, poetry here, but much of it has no music for me. To paraphrase Nicholson Baker, some is just good or interes
Jessica
Aug 12, 2008 Jessica rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Teenagers who need information for a school paper
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is not for the faint-hearted poetry reader. I notice my sister had read and reviewed a poetry book and I thought "Well I like poetry. I haven't read any in a while. Hmm I'll check some out." This book is deep. Most of the poetry was beyond me and the stuff I did get? Well it took a few times reading each one to get them. Best part of the book was the very interesting in-depth background information of each poet. Read about Mina Loy born Mina Gertrude Lowry. Since that is my last name, ...more
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Jan 12, 2010 Jenny (Reading Envy) rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, read2010
I enjoyed this anthology - I read a few unknown (to me) poems from poets I knew, and was introduced to several I'd never heard of. Two of them and I share strange connections - one was in the same graduate program I was in at the same university, exactly 50 years before me (folklore at IU), and one lived on a random mountain in Australia that I spent a weekend at during high school. The one I hadn't heard of that I was most intrigued by was Mina Loy, who is great fun to read out loud. I apprecia ...more
Patricia
Jan 09, 2011 Patricia rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, read-in-2010
I thought I wanted more information about the authors of the poems I read, but this book has a few pages of information and only two or three poems. It would be great to have a summary paragraph or two and then more poems, or even the current amount of biographical information and then many more poems. Overall, a nice list.
J
Jan 06, 2013 J rated it really liked it
Parisi's summaries and introductions of each poet are concise and generally stick to the biographical facts rather than any critic of style or content. Obviously, he wouldn't have included each poet in the anthology if he didn't respect their works. I would have liked to see Adelaide Crapsey in the volume.
Theresa Cooper
Apr 24, 2012 Theresa Cooper rated it really liked it
It wasn't until I was 100+ pages in that I actually found a poem that spoke to me- and then I found quite a bit of poems/poets that I liked. Glad that I didn't follow an early impulse to add this book to my "Abandoned" shelf.
Jamie
Jun 08, 2011 Jamie rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Excellent and informative, this introduction to modern poetry by its most famous female pens is fun to read and a great overview of where to start an exploration of contemporary poets and their work.
Amy Paget
Jun 13, 2015 Amy Paget rated it really liked it
In addition to the wonderful poetry, the brief introduction to each poet tells the story of some phenomenally inventive women. Highly recommended.
Emily C
Emily C rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2016
Constance Brewer
Constance Brewer rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Simone
Simone rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2016
Jayme Mi Amor
Jayme Mi Amor rated it really liked it
May 26, 2012
Dyan
Dyan rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2015
Alexandra
Alexandra rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2013
Kate Kinder
Kate Kinder rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2014
Cindy
Jun 18, 2008 Cindy rated it liked it
Picked this one up at the PL yesterday. Looks good.
Beth
Beth rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2011
Sarah rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2010
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2015
Mallory
Mallory rated it it was ok
Jun 26, 2015
S. P.
S. P. rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2014
Leah
Oct 06, 2011 Leah rated it it was ok
Included some interesting info and good poems, but few that I would not be able to live with out.
Jenna
Jenna rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2016
Shannon
Shannon rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2014
Neena
Neena rated it it was ok
Apr 29, 2013
Lyd
Lyd rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2013
Hannah Jane
Hannah Jane rated it liked it
Nov 30, 2010
Andrea Engle
Andrea Engle rated it really liked it
May 23, 2014