Start by marking “100 Essential Modern Poems by Women” as Want to Read:
100 Essential Modern Poems by Women

100 Essential Modern Poems by Women

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  34 ratings  ·  10 reviews
A collection of modern poetry by women features poems by Emily Dickinson, Elizabeth Bishop, Sylvia Plath, and Margaret Atwood.
Published April 4th 2008 by Ivan R. Dee

To ask other readers questions about 100 Essential Modern Poems by Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 100 Essential Modern Poems by Women

Jessica
Aug 17, 2008 Jessica rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Teenagers who need information for a school paper
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is not for the faint-hearted poetry reader. I notice my sister had read and reviewed a poetry book and I thought "Well I like poetry. I haven't read any in a while. Hmm I'll check some out." This book is deep. Most of the poetry was beyond me and the stuff I did get? Well it took a few times reading each one to get them. Best part of the book was the very interesting in-depth background information of each poet. Read about Mina Loy born Mina Gertrude Lowry. Since that is my last name, ...more
Kerfe
"Songs are like tattoos...
...
...ink on a pin
underneath the skin
an empty space to fill in"

That's Joni Mitchell, and the same applies to poetry. There needs to be music there, behind the words, something that gets under the skin.

Joni is not in this volume. No songwriters are in this volume. No women under age 50 are in this volume.

So..."essential"? "the greatest"? There is good, even great, poetry here, but much of it has no music for me. To paraphrase Nicholson Baker, some is just good or interes
Jenny (Reading Envy)
I enjoyed this anthology - I read a few unknown (to me) poems from poets I knew, and was introduced to several I'd never heard of. Two of them and I share strange connections - one was in the same graduate program I was in at the same university, exactly 50 years before me (folklore at IU), and one lived on a random mountain in Australia that I spent a weekend at during high school. The one I hadn't heard of that I was most intrigued by was Mina Loy, who is great fun to read out loud. I apprecia ...more
Patricia
I thought I wanted more information about the authors of the poems I read, but this book has a few pages of information and only two or three poems. It would be great to have a summary paragraph or two and then more poems, or even the current amount of biographical information and then many more poems. Overall, a nice list.
J
Parisi's summaries and introductions of each poet are concise and generally stick to the biographical facts rather than any critic of style or content. Obviously, he wouldn't have included each poet in the anthology if he didn't respect their works. I would have liked to see Adelaide Crapsey in the volume.
Theresa
It wasn't until I was 100+ pages in that I actually found a poem that spoke to me- and then I found quite a bit of poems/poets that I liked. Glad that I didn't follow an early impulse to add this book to my "Abandoned" shelf.
Jamie
Excellent and informative, this introduction to modern poetry by its most famous female pens is fun to read and a great overview of where to start an exploration of contemporary poets and their work.
Leah
Included some interesting info and good poems, but few that I would not be able to live with out.
Cindy
Picked this one up at the PL yesterday. Looks good.
Micabarry
Poetry can jump start the mind and soul!
Tasha
Tasha is currently reading it
Dec 08, 2014
Bethany Santiago
Bethany Santiago marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Koliba
Koliba added it
May 06, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2013
CiCi
CiCi marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2013
Kelsey
Kelsey marked it as to-read
May 12, 2013
Shawna
Shawna marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
100 Essential Modern Poems The Poetry Anthology, 1912-2002: Ninety Years of America's Most Distinguished Verse Magazine The Poetry Anthology: Ninety Years of America's Most Distinguished Verse Magazine Dear Editor: A History of Poetry in Letters Between the Lines: A History of Poetry in Letters, Part II: 1962-2002