The Harper Hall of Pern (Pern: Harper Hall, #1-3)

The Harper Hall of Pern (Pern: Harper Hall #1-3 omnibus)

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  4,136 ratings  ·  71 reviews
Omnibus of DragonSong, DragonSinger, and DragonDrums
Published 1984 by Doubleday (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about The Harper Hall of Pern, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Harper Hall of Pern

Jenny
This is my all time favorite fantasy book! I read it as a youth and I've probably read it 100 times...my book has fallen apart. It's got 3 books in one and many other books related to these but out of the ones I've read its my fav. The others get a little too much for me.
It's about a young girl who has a musical talent although she is told she is not allowed to use it. From that time on she decides to live alone and from there her true adventure begins...Dragons and a world that seems so primit...more
Nico Lune
Apr 02, 2008 Nico Lune rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: if you like sci-fi fantasy that is has emotional content, than you will like this
Recommended to Nico by: Chelsea my sister
Thanks to my sister Chelsea, I got a chance to read this great story. I love the coming of age stories in a world that is not unlike our own, except there are dragons that protect the people from a threat that is beyond their control. Although it has been years since I was a 15 year old misunderstood girl, I was transported back to that time when the tunnel vision of my own personal tragedies of growing overshadowed the more relevant issues that were happening outside of the scope of my vision.
Heather
I'm currently reading this series out loud to my husband. These were the books that hooked me on Pern specifically and Anne McCaffrey in general. It's been nearly a decade since I've re-read them, and I'm just as hooked now as ever. I can't wait to get through this trilogy and into the Dragonriders (again) next.
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
In Dragonsong, we find Menolly, youngest daughter of Half Circle Sea Hold is a talented musican and songwriter much to the dismay of her parents. Who don't want her to be twiddling with music. Menolly is encouraged by Harper Petiron and understands her better than her family does. Petiron sends two of Menolly's songs to Masterharper Robinton because he believes in her that much. When Petiron dies Menolly feels strangely alone with him gone. Menolly's family expects her to mind her manners now th...more
Gere Lewis
DRAGONSONG

Okay, Menolly's family sucks... HARD. That message rings true in practically every word. Menolly's heart and soul belong to music and that is the one thing that everyone is constantly trying to deny her. This book is about her struggle with that and the rather unexpected solution that presents itself.

DRAGONSINGER

The Harper Hall should be Menolly's saving grace, right? Well, not quite. There are still jealousy issues and pettiness to be found in abundance. This book is about Menolly's p...more
I love Anne McCaffrey’s Dragonriders of Pern books. Come on - riding dragons! What’s not to love? But my favorite McCaffrey books are actually the “Harper Hall Trilogy” books, “DragonSong,” “DragonSinger,” and “DragonDrums.” In this trilogy we meet Menolly, a musically gifted 15-year old girl growing up in an isolated community with rigid rules. She’s put in charge of teaching children the traditional songs, but forbidden from making her own music. Over the course of the trilogy, we follow Menol...more
Julie
Dragonsong was my introduction to the world of Pern. I first picked a slim paperback of Dragonsong when I was in junior high school and immediately fell in love with everything about it. The young heroine, Menolly, who is trying to build a better life for herself; the tiny fire lizards; the huge dragons and their telepathically-linked riders who protect the planet from the threat of THREAD falling from the sky; the guild of singers who carry information from place to place; and most of all, Mast...more
craige
Mar 07, 2008 craige rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pre-teen girls
Recommended to craige by: Tracy
So, I finished this in a few commutes plus one night in bed. I admit that that night I read it in bed, I stayed up later than I had intended because I was curious to see what would happen. But, overall, I was not drawn in to the book or by the characters. The main character is a 15-year-old girl who is misunderstood by her parents. But at age 32, I am over feeling like that, so I do not relate at all. Maybe if I had read this when I was a pre-teen I would have gotten into it more. Also, although...more
Tine!
I feel like I've never seen or noticed this side of Anne McCaffrey's writing before - and, having not read any of her other works for some years now, I'll be keen to go back and feel for impressions (ha!) - which is her MARY SUE side! Oh, I am the most perfect, talented child in all the world, and everyone is working against me! Perhaps this is very easy to relate to as a child, since we are developing and as-yet stuck in our egocentric snowglobe built around us by our doting old folks, etc, but...more
Kelley Ceccato
I have a weakness for stories about female bards/musicians, and this is one of my favorites; it was my introduction to McCaffrey, and I actually like it much better than the "adult" Pern books involving Lessa, F'lar, etc. My only substantial disappointment is that we see very few dragons in these stories, and instead we have to settle for fire lizards. But the fire-lizards are charming.

A youngster undervalued by nearly everyone in her orbit is rescued and transplanted into a new environment in w...more
L.A. Catron
(I actually don't own the omnibus, I own the individual books, but I wanted to review them as a series so here it is.)

These three books are probably my favorite Anne McCaffrey books. Ever. I love watching Menolly grow from a self-effacing, shy girl who thinks she can't do anything into a self-reliant, clever, talented young woman who helps change the lives of the people around her. I also adore fire lizards.

These books inspired my life-long love of all lizards, real or imagined. I read them du...more
Jason
I absolutely loved these books at 16, and I still have a lot of affection for them today. I can't ignore that the writing is sometimes clumsy, some of the characters are not only wooden but hollow, and McCaffrey's knowledge of sailing, music, and her characters' other interests is often shallow; still, Pern is a vibrant and convincing world, the dragons are deftly deployed and satisfyingly explained, and the best of the characters are rich and engaging.

These three books display McCaffrey at her...more
Anne Lawrence
Love having all 3 books in one location. Still enjoy the stories as much now as I did as a teenager. Highly recommend the themes of rising above bad family situations and that you can create your own opportunities by tenacity and hard work.
Mollie *scoutrmom*
Apr 01, 2010 Mollie *scoutrmom* rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Mollie *scoutrmom* by: Mom
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2010
Anne McCaffrey's work continues to impress me. I am always amazed by the way the Pern series takes a new tack with each tale.

This collection of three stories seems less like stereotypical fantasy than the others in the series I've read. Other than the fact that it's set on another planet with different conditions, one could see this as contemporary fiction. Many of the plot twists are based on human prejudices and politics, and ring true.

Excellent work, I can barely wait until my public librar...more
Sheila
Old set of books. Good for older readers, mostly a girl type novel. Young girl loves music and dragons, but lives in a village that sees these things as unwanted. Her parents dont like it either. I thought it was a good story about even when things dont turn out the way you expect, that you can make the best of what you have.
Theresa
dragon song:

Dragonsinger:
is melony's adventuer in harper hall, and how she finds new friends and a place for herself.

dragon drums :
peimers adventure on his own on the southern continate, how he investigates the problems and difficulties on the...more
TailFeather
These 3 Pern books, other than the trilogy of Dragonquest, Dragonflight, and The White Dragon, plus The MasterHarper of Pern are my favorite Pern books. I wish there were more Pern books about the regular people and the Harper Hall itself. I absolutely love the dragons and dragonriders, but I also love the Harpers and the Craftspeople.

If you're looking for Pern books to get a teenager, or anyone, and are confused; I recommend the Dragonriders of Pern trilogy(Dragonquest, Dragonflight, and The Wh...more
Theresa
"a compliation of
dragon song: is the thrilling and sad adventure of a young teenage Melony who find her only friend gone and her world rejecting her, she saves the mythical fire lizards, and finds new friendship in them, while the rest of Pern is looking for this new song writer...
dragon drums : peimers adventure on his own on the southern continate, how he investigates the problems and difficulties on the the southern continate by accident, and finds a place for himself and his stolen fire liza...more
My first Pern book. I know I read it when I was 13 because I remember taking it on the plane when I went to Europe at that time. This is really enjoyable and particularly relevant I'm sure to adolescent girls. All the main characters from the Dragonriders series (Flar, Lessa, Robinton) show up here and the timeline is somewhat parallel. I really enjoyed the small domestic side of Harper Hall, and the companionships and struggles amongst the various personalities there.
Cali
First two books were amazing by far. Even though this was an extremely easy read ( i would say more early teenagers), I found the plot unique and interesting. But What really brought it down was the third book. I don't like how the author switched the main character, as I couldn't get connected to him as I had the other main character. I would recommend reading the first two and stopping there. You gain nothing from the third book
Heather
A good and engaging read, but I was confused with the transition of Menolly from "Dragonsinger" to "Dragondrums"--throughout "Dragonsong" and "Dragonsinger" she was this silly, insecure girl who was fun, and then in "Dragondrums" she's all serious and grown up. Is that because she goes from being an apprentice to a journeywoman, or because of the fact that the point of view moves from hers to Piemur's? Or something else? Hmm...
Dietmar
Read in Memory of Anne McCaffrey - it must have been about 20 years back I last read those 3 books included in this omnibus version (Dragonsong, Dragonsinger, Dragondrums) and this re-read felt like coming home. The books haven't lost any of their magic. To me these 3 and "The White Dragon" are Anne MaCaffreys best books in the Pern-Series. I cannot highly recommend the books - also for reading them again after some time.
Feb 25, 2008 Heather rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young female readers, or anyone who loves fantasy, dragons or music
Recommended to Heather by: my parents and Lizzie Gladdish
Really sweet trillogy. Not one of McCaffrey's strongest, and its really for the Pern lover (there are a lot of side-stories that you don't really get if you haven't already read her other books), but great character building and fanciful. A fun read.

As with all her books- read the forward! With this one in particular, finish the trillogy. The first book alone doesn't quite resolve the protagonist's story.
Masha
Menolly kind of loses her edge in this book. Her character, warmly ensconced in Harper Hall, is just nowhere near as interesting as when in Dragonsong she tames those fire lizards having run away to the cave by the shore while escaping threadfall on her swift, strong legs (swoon). The romance "thread" which I believe starts in this book just kills the (readerly) love, too.
Mary Davis
May 21, 2012 Mary Davis rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: books-read-2012
This is a series I read every few years. Classic good storytelling. The world lost a very prolific and beloved author last year. I enjoy her Pern series, the Rowan series - just a lot that she wrote. Highly recommend this series, and this author to everyone. I discovered her when I was a teenager, and she is forever on my list of favorite authors and series.
Rachel
A girl who is a musician when girls aren't allowed. She "impresses" many tiny dragons, which are smaller versions of the large dragons that protect the planet Pern from the deadly thread falling from the sky and charring everything. Dragons, music, tomboys, science fiction... Definitely favorite childhood books of mine, I've read them all about 5 times.
Margot
I thought this was the first trilogy set on Pern, but I believe this is the second. So there's some history involved in the world that I don't remember from reading the books long ago, that the author doesn't take much time to explain. So there were several places I was pretty confused, but certainly an enjoyable read for an afternoon or two.
Bunyip
Written when McCaffrey's ideas were fresh and new...before she started rehashing the same story lines over and over again. When it was still good writing, good plotting and great story.

I enjoy reading this series over and over again and recommend it to others who want to start their own 'dragon' reading.
S.collier
I like all of the Dragonriders of Pern series, but the Harper Hall "spinoff" series is the one I reread the most. Of course the main character is a young girl, so maybe it helps to have read these books as a teen in order for them to fit so neatly into your heart, but I still like them as an adult.
Lyl Lyl
I have these saved away to read to my own children someday, as I do many books, but these, in my own personal opinion, are the best of Anne McCaffrey, which I know many might dispute. I have read her other work, even books she co-authored, and these remain my favorite.
  • The People of Pern
  • Dragongirl (Pern, #22)
  • The Atlas of Pern
  • The Dragonlover's Guide to Pern
  • Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight #3
  • The Last Herald-Mage (Valdemar: The Last Herald-Mage, #1-3)
  • A Dragon-Lover's Treasury of the Fantastic
  • Anne McCaffrey: A Life with Dragons
  • The Ship Avenged
  • The King's Justice (The Histories of King Kelson, #2)
  • Homecoming: Harmony (Omnibus) (Homecoming Saga, #1-3)
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts, at 1:30 p.m., in the hour of the Sheep, year of the Fire Tiger, sun sign Aries with Taurus rising and Leo mid-heaven (which seems to suggest an early interest in the stars).

Her parents were George Herbert McCaffrey, BA, MA PhD (Harvard), Colonel USA Army (retired), and Anne Dorothy McElroy McCaffrey, estate agent. She had two...more
More about Anne McCaffrey...
Dragonflight (Pern, #1) Dragonsong (Harper Hall, #1) The White Dragon (Pern, #3) Dragonsinger (Harper Hall, #2) Dragonquest (Pern, #2)