Start by marking “Amos Barton” as Want to Read:
Amos Barton

Amos Barton

3.32  ·  Rating Details  ·  82 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Published as part of George Eliot’s fictional debut, Amos Barton is an honest and expressive work, displaying the same warm irony and keen observations that distinguish so many of her later novels. Parson Amos Barton is responsible not only for the spiritual welfare of his flock, but also for his extensive family. Burying himself in the works of the Evangelical greats, he ...more
Published June 1st 2003 by Hesperus Press (first published 1858)

To ask other readers questions about Amos Barton, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amos Barton

Heart of Darkness by Joseph ConradDr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis StevensonBartleby, the Scrivener by Herman MelvilleMetamorphosis by Franz KafkaThe Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum
Hesperus Classics
10th out of 175 books — 19 voters
Animal Farm by George OrwellOf Mice and Men by John SteinbeckThe Old Man and the Sea by Ernest HemingwayThe Metamorphosis by Franz KafkaThe Stranger by Albert Camus
World's Greatest Novellas
343rd out of 439 books — 1,037 voters

More lists with this book...

Jane
Jul 15, 2015 Jane rated it really liked it
Towards the end of 1856, Mary Ann Evans, a well-regarded intellectual and essayist, submitted three stories to ‘Blackwood’s Magazine’. They were accepted, they were published over three issues during the following year, and towards the end of that year they were published as a single volume, entitled ‘Scenes of Clerical Life’.

It was George Eliot’s first published work of fiction, and it was recognised, in the words of ‘Saturday Review’, as ‘the production of a peculiar and remarkable writer.’

I m
Kate
N.B.: I did not read this edition. Amos Barton is the first of three tales collected under the title Scenes from Clerical Life. The picture on the cover of the Hesperus edition perfectly sums up the atmosphere of this short tale of one man's terrible luck. Any spiritual solace eluded to by the church steeple is swallowed up by the cold, grey sky. Eliot seems to be treading on Hardy's territory: Life is short, it is bleak, and you die.
Aj Sterkel
Oct 25, 2014 Aj Sterkel rated it liked it
Shelves: classic
This is a strange little book. It is the story of a poor Reverend in a small English town who causes a scandal when a spoiled Countess moves into his house. The book is more like a collection of incidents than a cohesive story, especially in the beginning.

I didn't enjoy this book as much as I enjoyed George Eliot's other works. Like all of Eliot's books, the plot of this one takes a long time to get going. Unfortunately, the book is so short that it's over as soon as it gets interesting. The beg
Dr.J.G.
Feb 05, 2016 Dr.J.G. rated it liked it

For an early work this story has amazing insight into human nature and behaviour, along with a detailed description of the place and time, and also usage of the language far more extensive than what one is used to during 20th century even before the sms era.

Even if one knows nothing of the author it is easy to suspect post finishing the book that this is an autobiographical tale, and it mainly at heart is a very deeply loving daughter's heartbreaking tribute to her very beautiful and universall
Elizabeth
Dec 27, 2012 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
And Eliot manages to make me cry AGAIN.
Nesa Sivagnanam
Jul 04, 2011 Nesa Sivagnanam rated it really liked it
The titular character is the new curate of the parish church of Shepperton, a village near Milby. A pious man, but "sadly unsuited to the practice of his profession", Barton attempts to ensure that his congregation remains firmly within the care of the Church of England. His stipend is inadequate, and he relies on the hard work of Milly, his wife, to help keep the family.

Barton and Milly become acquainted with Countess Caroline Czerlaski. When the Countess' brother, with whom she lives, gets en
Ginger Price
Feb 15, 2016 Ginger Price rated it really liked it
Interesting little account. I'm one for a good, detailed description, but there were a few moments in the beginning when I found myself a little tired of a certain description. The few times when the narrator talks directly to the reader are my favorite. This story is not particularly warm and fuzzy, so, if you want quaint, warm and fuzzy reading, this is not it.
Marjorie
Jun 15, 2015 Marjorie rated it really liked it
This is a powerful story told in very few words. It is the story of a community with focus on the Barton family. George Eliot is able to bring characters to life. One can see and hear them, like or dislike them but often see ourselves reflected in their various traits.
Abbi
Nov 15, 2008 Abbi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Favorite tidbits:

That is a deep and wide saying, that no miracle can be wrought without faith - without the worker's faith in himself, as well as the recipient's faith in him.

Thank heaven, then, that a little illusion is left to us, to enable us to be useful and agreeable - that we don't know exactly what our friends think of us - that the world is not made of looking-glass, to show us just the figure we are making, and just what is going on behind our backs!

Every man who is not a monster, a mat
Nikki
Jan 14, 2014 Nikki rated it really liked it
I love Eliot's writing and this short book was not a disappointment. My favorite parts are at the beginning of each chapter where Eliot makes certain observations to the reader before continuing with the plot. A very moving portrayal of the regret that can occur when we don't fully love (and appreciate those who love us).
Steve
Jun 30, 2014 Steve rated it liked it
O
Widad Zawaneh
Apr 16, 2013 Widad Zawaneh rated it liked it
It is so much easier to say that a thing is black , than to discriminate the particular shade of brown , blue , or green , to which it really belongs "

" Thank heaven , then a little illusion is left to us , to enable us to be useful and agreeable - that we don't know exactly what our friends think of us - that the world is not made of looking-glass , to show us just the figure we are making , and just what is going on behind our backs !! "

George Eliot , Amos Barton
Jules
Mar 18, 2012 Jules rated it liked it
It took me a while to get into this book but a morning hanging around in the hospital outpatients department put paid to that & I read half this book in one sitting! It was an odd little book, quite unlike most of the classics. In truth not a lot happens in the book but the unusual writing style makes up for it. The author almost invites us into the Bartons lives, we feel like an eavesdropper on their family affairs.
Vassia Louka
Feb 04, 2014 Vassia Louka rated it it was ok
I was waiting to read more about why lady Karolain didn't move out of Barton's house.
The end of the story was more interesting than the beginning.
Dick Edwards
Jan 24, 2011 Dick Edwards rated it did not like it
George Eliot was the pen name of Mary Ann Evans. I couldn't get interested in the life of this parish priest.
Teresa
Sep 23, 2011 Teresa rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
You quickly want to know what happens to the curate and his wife and family in this novel about English life
Katie
Nov 27, 2013 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not very well developed with too many minor characters and incidents.
Sophie
Sophie rated it liked it
May 03, 2016
C.J.
C.J. marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Léas
Léas marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Christine Bissonnette
Christine Bissonnette marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Ann Tesar
Ann Tesar marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
Romola
Romola rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2016
Zizo Cavani
Zizo Cavani marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Mike Armishaw
Mike Armishaw marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
Rebecca Gatzemeier
Rebecca Gatzemeier marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2016
  • Soledades
  • Pages from the Goncourt Journals
  • An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge and Other Stories
  • Guerra e Paz – Livro I
In 1819, novelist George Eliot (nee Mary Ann Evans), was born at a farmstead in Nuneaton, Warwickshire, England, where her father was estate manager. Mary Ann, the youngest child and a favorite of her father's, received a good education for a young woman of her day. Influenced by a favorite governess, she became a religious evangelical as an adolescent. Her first published work was a religious poe ...more
More about George Eliot...

“We are poor
plants buoyed up by the air-vessels of our own conceit: alas for us, if
we get a few pinches that empty us of that windy self-subsistence! The
very capacity for good would go out of us. For, tell the most impassioned
orator, suddenly, that his wig is awry, or his shirt-lap hanging out, and
that he is tickling people by the oddity of his person, instead of
thrilling them by the energy of his periods, and you would infallibly dry
up the spring of his eloquence. That is a deep and wide saying, that no
miracle can be wrought without faith--without the worker's faith in
himself, as well as the recipient's faith in him. And the greater part of
the worker's faith in himself is made up of the faith that others believe
in him.m”
3 likes
“No todos podemos hacer conquistas cuando nuestra fealdad ha pasado su mejor momento.” 0 likes