Start by marking “Amos Barton” as Want to Read:
Amos Barton

Amos Barton

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Published as part of George Eliot’s fictional debut, Amos Barton is an honest and expressive work, displaying the same warm irony and keen observations that distinguish so many of her later novels. Parson Amos Barton is responsible not only for the spiritual welfare of his flock, but also for his extensive family. Burying himself in the works of the Evangelical greats, he ...more
Published June 1st 2003 by Hesperus Press (first published 1858)

To ask other readers questions about Amos Barton, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amos Barton

Bartleby, the Scrivener by Herman MelvilleDr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis StevensonHeart of Darkness by Joseph ConradThe Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank BaumThe Gold Bug by Edgar Allan Poe
Hesperus Classics
7th out of 171 books — 14 voters
Animal Farm by George OrwellOf Mice and Men by John SteinbeckThe Old Man and the Sea by Ernest HemingwayThe Metamorphosis by Franz KafkaThe Stranger by Albert Camus
World's Greatest Novellas
204th out of 391 books — 852 voters

More lists with this book...

Kate
N.B.: I did not read this edition. Amos Barton is the first of three tales collected under the title Scenes from Clerical Life. The picture on the cover of the Hesperus edition perfectly sums up the atmosphere of this short tale of one man's terrible luck. Any spiritual solace eluded to by the church steeple is swallowed up by the cold, grey sky. Eliot seems to be treading on Hardy's territory: Life is short, it is bleak, and you die.
Ashley
This is a strange little book. It is the story of a poor Reverend in a small English town who causes a scandal when a spoiled Countess moves into his house. The book is more like a collection of incidents than a cohesive story, especially in the beginning.

I didn't enjoy this book as much as I enjoyed George Eliot's other works. Like all of Eliot's books, the plot of this one takes a long time to get going. Unfortunately, the book is so short that it's over as soon as it gets interesting. The beg
Elizabeth
And Eliot manages to make me cry AGAIN.
Nesa Sivagnanam
The titular character is the new curate of the parish church of Shepperton, a village near Milby. A pious man, but "sadly unsuited to the practice of his profession", Barton attempts to ensure that his congregation remains firmly within the care of the Church of England. His stipend is inadequate, and he relies on the hard work of Milly, his wife, to help keep the family.

Barton and Milly become acquainted with Countess Caroline Czerlaski. When the Countess' brother, with whom she lives, gets en
Abbi
Favorite tidbits:

That is a deep and wide saying, that no miracle can be wrought without faith - without the worker's faith in himself, as well as the recipient's faith in him.

Thank heaven, then, that a little illusion is left to us, to enable us to be useful and agreeable - that we don't know exactly what our friends think of us - that the world is not made of looking-glass, to show us just the figure we are making, and just what is going on behind our backs!

Every man who is not a monster, a mat
Nikki
I love Eliot's writing and this short book was not a disappointment. My favorite parts are at the beginning of each chapter where Eliot makes certain observations to the reader before continuing with the plot. A very moving portrayal of the regret that can occur when we don't fully love (and appreciate those who love us).
Wedad Rami
It is so much easier to say that a thing is black , than to discriminate the particular shade of brown , blue , or green , to which it really belongs "

" Thank heaven , then a little illusion is left to us , to enable us to be useful and agreeable - that we don't know exactly what our friends think of us - that the world is not made of looking-glass , to show us just the figure we are making , and just what is going on behind our backs !! "

George Eliot , Amos Barton
Jules
It took me a while to get into this book but a morning hanging around in the hospital outpatients department put paid to that & I read half this book in one sitting! It was an odd little book, quite unlike most of the classics. In truth not a lot happens in the book but the unusual writing style makes up for it. The author almost invites us into the Bartons lives, we feel like an eavesdropper on their family affairs.
Vassia Louka
I was waiting to read more about why lady Karolain didn't move out of Barton's house.
The end of the story was more interesting than the beginning.
Dick Edwards
George Eliot was the pen name of Mary Ann Evans. I couldn't get interested in the life of this parish priest.
Teresa
You quickly want to know what happens to the curate and his wife and family in this novel about English life
Katie
Not very well developed with too many minor characters and incidents.
Rachael
Rachael marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Tabitha Wade
Tabitha Wade marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
John Donnelly
John Donnelly is currently reading it
Jan 03, 2015
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
James Gadea
James Gadea marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Julia
Julia added it
Nov 11, 2014
Edgar
Edgar marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Manohardas
Manohardas marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Zscribbles
Zscribbles marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Gonçalo Serra
Gonçalo Serra marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Leanna Kowallis
Leanna Kowallis marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
In 1819, novelist George Eliot (nee Mary Ann Evans), was born at a farmstead in Nuneaton, Warwickshire, England, where her father was estate manager. Mary Ann, the youngest child and a favorite of her father's, received a good education for a young woman of her day. Influenced by a favorite governess, she became a religious evangelical as an adolescent. Her first published work was a religious poe ...more
More about George Eliot...
Middlemarch Silas Marner The Mill on the Floss Adam Bede Daniel Deronda

“We are poor
plants buoyed up by the air-vessels of our own conceit: alas for us, if
we get a few pinches that empty us of that windy self-subsistence! The
very capacity for good would go out of us. For, tell the most impassioned
orator, suddenly, that his wig is awry, or his shirt-lap hanging out, and
that he is tickling people by the oddity of his person, instead of
thrilling them by the energy of his periods, and you would infallibly dry
up the spring of his eloquence. That is a deep and wide saying, that no
miracle can be wrought without faith--without the worker's faith in
himself, as well as the recipient's faith in him. And the greater part of
the worker's faith in himself is made up of the faith that others believe
in him.m”
3 likes
“No todos podemos hacer conquistas cuando nuestra fealdad ha pasado su mejor momento.” 0 likes