Start by marking “The Berenstain Bears in the Dark” as Want to Read:
The Berenstain Bears in the Dark

The Berenstain Bears in the Dark (The Berenstain Bears)

4.05  ·  Rating Details ·  9,005 Ratings  ·  108 Reviews
After a scary bedtime story, Sister Bear is too frightened of the dark to shut her eyes. "Sound psychological advice and a night light help Sister conquer her fears. Children will empathize with Sister Bear in this well-written story."--School Library Journal. ...more
Published August 12th 1982 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Berenstain Bears in the Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Berenstain Bears in the Dark

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Children's Books
359th out of 3,705 books — 5,372 voters
Katy and the Big Snow by Virginia Lee BurtonThe Berenstain Bears in the Dark by Stan BerenstainMake Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskeyAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling
my favorite books from childhood years
2nd out of 105 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Neil
Feb 26, 2010 Neil rated it liked it
Something about the Berenstain Bears never really clicked with me, even when I was very young. I think it was because while the authors made a conscious effort to keep the series topical and up-to-date, Papa and Mama Bear, alone among the citizens of Bear Country, chose to dress like extras from Little House on the Prairie every single day.

It's hard on a cub when you're too embarrassed by your mom's polka-dotted nightgown and matching bonnet to have the guys over for a round of Smash Brothers, o
Amber
Feb 25, 2014 Amber rated it liked it
I love the berenstain bears books in general so reading this one was no different. I like how the bears have human traits all around and they live a very human like life other than the fact that they live in a tree. These books always have a moral or a problem and solution as well so it makes it a great read for the younger ages because it causes them to think critically about what’s going on. It would also be very easy to implement a lesson plan involving these books. I think the topic of the b ...more
Sam Martinez
Nov 21, 2008 Sam Martinez rated it really liked it
its a trippy book.
but its kinda cool.
read it.
Hailey Phay
Nov 30, 2014 Hailey Phay rated it it was amazing
This book is about Sister Bear being afraid of the dark after picking out a scary story to read at the library. Papa bear talks to scared sister bear and lets her know that the scary things she sees is all in her imagination. I love how all Bernstein bear books have a moral of the story or something new to teach us. The illustrations beautifully tell the story and they don’t over power the text.
Grace
Sep 04, 2014 Grace rated it it was amazing
I liked this book cause it tells kids that be afraid in your own house is silly! If you are afraid in the dark pray to God and say In The Name Of God Protect Me! And plus your mom and dad are right down the hall and your sibling will be down the hall or in your room.
Annie
May 04, 2014 Annie rated it it was amazing
I liked all of the Berenstain Bears books, but I particularly related to this one because I was scared of the dark as a child. I think a lot of kids are and I like how this book helps them realize they aren't alone and gives them ways to deal with the dark.
Jordan Lee
Apr 16, 2013 Jordan Lee rated it liked it
This book is about Sister Bear being afraid of the dark after picking out a scary story to read at the library. Papa bear talks to scared sister bear and lets her know that the scary things she sees is all in her imagination. We would use this book in our classroom to teach students that our imaginations can sometimes make us think things that may not actually be true. Our imaginations are powerful tools and students must have theirs guided when they let their imaginations take them to places th ...more
Trisha Hope
Jan 31, 2016 Trisha Hope rated it it was amazing
Like many children I have experienced bad dreams. I have been afraid of the dark. I still can be sometimes depending on where my imagination takes me. Berenstain Bears did it again!
Christian Singer
May 05, 2014 Christian Singer rated it liked it
Cute story for young children afraid of the dark. Shadows can be creepy. It helps to know that even parents were afraid of the dark as children.
Shawna
Nov 11, 2014 Shawna added it
Shelves: edrd-314
This is great book for students to use musical instruments to this book. It is also a great book for a read-aloud around Halloween. This book doesn't say anything about Halloween, but it gives off the idea of Halloween.
Leiera Monae

06.06.2014
Service Room 12
Mar 08, 2016 Service Room 12 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
It was a good book and the pictures are the best thing. The best part is was when they are scared. By gabby
Gabrielle Link
Nov 06, 2014 Gabrielle Link rated it it was amazing
I love this one, because I was afraid of the dark when I was little. And it also reminds me of a time when I read a scary story!
VampireNovelFan
Apr 13, 2011 VampireNovelFan rated it really liked it
I think there's a very good reason that this book series has spanned decades and maintained popularity. It gives children the chance to think on their own and make their own choices for behaviors that carry over into their adult lives. Many of these issues will be ones that will persist through their lives, just on different levels of course.

I love the nostalgia reading this as an adult. I used to be afraid of the dark and finally grew out of it. But it was great to have a book that touched upon
KayCee K
Nov 18, 2014 KayCee K rated it it was amazing
Just read this one with my brother! What a cute story!
Melody McArthur
Oct 15, 2015 Melody McArthur rated it liked it
A good book for kids afraid of the dark.
Sarah King
Sister Bear is afraid of the dark.
Luna
Feb 15, 2015 Luna rated it really liked it
loved it!
Rachelolivia
Jun 02, 2015 Rachelolivia marked it as to-read
Shelves: own
III
Malcolm Nelson
This book in particular is a really great book dealing with sleeping in the dark. Each Berenstain Bears series deals with a family of bears and their everyday life issues. targeted toward young children they teach kids how to act/ understand certain situations. this one is about sleeping in the dark, but there are others like being babysat, or eating alot of junk food. i think they are good reads for little kids because they are interesting as well as teaching.
Joy
to you.
It happens,
sometimes,
to little bears, too.

After Brother reads her a scary book, Sister has a lot of problems falling asleep and is afraid of the dark.

This is actually a good example of Papa Bear being a good father. He is the one that solves Sister's problem by talking with her and giving her a nightlight.

This book could be paired with Bad Dream.
Siskiyou-Suzy
Man, Brother Bear sure is a jerk. The thing about these books is they portray so much bad behavior without immediate repercussions. I know the overall lesson is good, but they're really just showing kids how to be little jerks. Especially since Sister Bear ends up being a little bit of a jerk in the end. That nightlight is really cute, though. I wish I had one.
Kylee S
Aug 28, 2013 Kylee S rated it really liked it
Sister Bear reads a scary story and then it afraid of the dark and wakes her parents up in the middle of the night. After her father tells her there is nothing to be afraid of and takes her up to the attic she is a lot better. I thought this story was enjoyable and children always go through times when they are afraid of the dark.
Lien
Aug 30, 2012 Lien rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading The Berenstain Bears books as a child. The family dynamic of the family intrigued me, and the books were good for independent reading. I always imagined myself in the books and wished that I could jump into the pages. When reading The Berenstain Bears books, I definitely felt as if I was in their world.
Mr. Burton
Jul 22, 2009 Mr. Burton rated it it was amazing
I remember reading this book during my speech therapy class as kid. I used to bring different books in the series home with me in plastic ziplock bag everyday and read them or have my mom read them to me. These books taught me that you can always solve your problems. Great books for small children.
↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝
Apr 27, 2013 ↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝ rated it liked it
Recommends it for: yes
The Berenstain Bears in the Dark by Stan and Jan Berenstain
Brother and Sister Bear hear their bedtime story, and then its lights out. The story was spooky, and now Sister is afraid. This teaches kids, that sometimes their imagination can get the better of them, and to not read scary books before bed.
Shelli
Feb 03, 2008 Shelli rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
After reading a scary story with Brother, Sister is having a hard time falling asleep. The normally cozy comfortable room seems filled with scary shadows and not at all cozy. Following a ruff night, where none of the Bear family got much sleep, Papa comes up with a plan to help Sister out.
Cindy
Jul 30, 2013 Cindy rated it it was amazing
I read so many Berenstain Bears books during elementary school it's ridiculous!

I rated every book that I read during childhood 5 stars.
Why? Well because that was a time in my life when I loved every single thing I read. And because they bring back fond memories. Ah, the joys of being young!
Lori Tatar
Oct 19, 2013 Lori Tatar rated it it was amazing
The Berenstain Bears in the Dark is a fun story that shows how imagination can sometimes overtake our better judgement and shows what happens when we are given a dose of our own medicine. This was cute and fun and may help youngsters combat their fear of the dark.
Nivi Krishnakumar
This is a great book to read for understanding sequencing. This book is also a great book to do a character study activity since there are a lot of Berenstain Bears books. I think students will enjoy these books because they are fun books to read and listen to.
Three Folklore Books 1 3 Sep 06, 2011 03:20PM
  • Amelia Bedelia Helps Out
  • Arthur's Baby (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • When I Get Bigger
  • Where's Waldo? The Fantastic Journey
  • I am Not Going to Get Up Today!
  • Franklin's Valentines
More about Stan Berenstain...

The Berenstain Bears (1 - 10 of 73 books)
  • The Berenstain Bears' New Baby
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to School
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Sitter
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor
  • The Berenstain Bears' Moving Day
  • The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist
  • The Berenstain Bears Get in a Fight
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to Camp (First Look Books, #7)
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Messy Room