Start by marking “How Dear to My Heart” as Want to Read:
How Dear to My Heart

How Dear to My Heart

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Best known for Our Hearts Were Young and Gay, written with Cornelia Otis Skinner, Emily Kimbrough was one of the most popular writers of this century. How Dear to My Heart, first published in 1944, is her tribute to a happy childhood spent in Muncie, Indiana, a humorous glance over her shoulder at the way things used to be.

"This is more than a funny book, a period piece. D
Published November 1st 1991 by Indiana University Press (first published January 1st 1944)

To ask other readers questions about How Dear to My Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Dear to My Heart

Melee
What a dear, humorous book of golden (and not so golden) memories! Emily Kimbrough has captured very well the way she perceived the world as a child with very little commentary from her grown-up self to remark or expound on various happening's greater implications.

Random note: This book has nothing whatsoever to do with Disney's 1948 similarly titled movie So Dear to My Heart. I did wonder when I picked it up; but apparently, that was based off this book.

Cheryl
I do enjoy Kimbrough's work, with or without Skinner, but gee she was a sensitive, self-centered, superstitious, almost spoiled little girl. Of course this was only to be expected, as, until she was 8(?) she had not siblings or cousins, and her grandfather was the patriarch of, not only the family, but of Muncie, Indiana, and was even a state senator.

But I have to admit it was refreshing to read of a comfortable childhood, as opposed to all the historical fiction of the last century that seems t
Jackie
Apr 26, 2014 Jackie added it
I found this to be a charming biography. The author writes of her memories as they are, not researching to be sure her memories are accurate with facts. She describes moments in her young life of interactions with her family members, friends, school mates, and every day experiences. The book contains what her life was like growing up in a small American town of Muncie, Indiana in the first decade of this century, which is her tribute to a happy childhood.
LeeAnne
LeeAnne marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Sally Jamieson
Sally Jamieson marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Hailey White
Hailey White marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Vanda Jensen
Vanda Jensen marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Brenetta
Brenetta marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Marlene Korne
Marlene Korne marked it as to-read
May 02, 2014
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2013
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2013
ladywallingford
ladywallingford marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2013
Celia
Celia added it
Oct 03, 2012
Gail
Gail added it
Jul 10, 2012
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2012
Through Charley's Door Forty Plus and Fancy Free Now and Then Water, Water, Everywhere Time Enough