Start by marking “It's Not Easy Being Green: And Other Things to Consider ” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
It's Not Easy Being Gr...

Jim Henson

It's Not Easy Being Green: And Other Things to Consider

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  1,015 ratings  ·  141 reviews
Published 2005

To ask other readers questions about It's Not Easy Being Green, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Not Easy Being Green

Cathy DuPont
Jim Henson was a genius. He was a wonderful man/child and philosopher who children all over the world know as Kermit.

Yes, it's one of the basic truths of the physical universe, Sprocket. Things don't disappear. They just change, and change, and change again.."---Doc from Fraggle Rock.

Message? I got no message! I'm a puppet, man. This is all sham...make believe? Like everything! Everybody! We're all puppets! That's why we gotta boogie boogie boogie!!!---Dr. Teeth.

I have a lot of great memories
Jenny
For Christmas a few years ago, Forrest gave me My Life as a Furry Red Monster. I devoured the book on Christmas day, interrupting the family gathering to share tidbits of Kevin's story. So, when I saw It's Not Easy Being Green: And Other Things to Consider at the discount store today, I knew I had to pick it up (along with Before You Leap: A Frog's Eye View of Life's Greatest Lessons-- which I'll read this weekend). Of course, I read the book in under an hour. It's a wonderful tribute to Jim Hen ...more
Jensownzoo
Jim Henson was one of the only "celebrities" that I literally burst into tears when I learned of his death. This book is a collection of quotes by and about Jim Henson and the characters he played. For example:

"He changed our lives. He changed the world.
And we'll continue his work, because that's how inspiration operates. People die, but inspiration lives and grows. Inspired by his gentleness, we'll fill the world with gentleness. Inspired by his vision, we'll fill the world with vision. Inspire
William Redd
Very inspirational book full of quotes from Jim Henson, the Muppets, Fraggle Rock, and the people and productions Henson created over the years. Henson was one of those men who touched so many lives through his work.

Whether it comes from song lyrics, thoughts from his journals, or words of wisdom from his coworkers; each quote in this book has the ability to lift you up and inspire you to greater things. Well, that's what it did for me anyway.
Nik
This audio book was short and sweet at just over an hour. It was narrated by Whoopi, Lithgow and Lewis with lots of quotes, songs and silliness. Anyone who loves The Muppets, Fraggles, Skeksis, Mystics, or Labyrinth Goblins will be pleased as pie with this book. Jim Henson was amazing. I got a little misty-eyed at a few points.
Carol
Small book with wonderful quotes from Jim, his friends and family, and the wonderful muppets he created. A wonderful man who will be loved by generations to come. I see that when I listen to my grandson's laughter as he is watching Sesame Street just like his mommy 30 years ago.
Kristin
Horribly disappointing. I love Jim Henson, I could never be disappointed by anything by him or about him, but here I am, disappointed. All the quotes were about the exact same things - nothing interesting, nothing to think about. Although I did appreciate thoughts by Dr. Teeth.
Julie
Words of wisdom from the Muppets...what's not to love?! And I don't mean by just Kermit, but the Fraggles, Emmett Otter, and Jim Henson himself.. A great coffee table and reference book for the masses.
Heather Faville
Listening is the first step and the last step. ~Cantus Fraggle

To those of you who know me, you are aware that I am a Muppet fan through and through. I love everything to do with Jim Henson's creations and the puppeteers who bring these loveable characters to life. So when I received It's Not Easy Being Green: And Other Things to Consider as a Christmas gift I was thrilled...I believe there was even an *arm flail* involved.

Jim inspired people to be better than they thought they could be. To be
Cindy
"But, you've heard enough. Now, it's time for you to listen. Go and find your songs."

Cantus Fraggle
Jayme
How can you not LOVE Jim Henson and the Muppets? If you don't, please discontinue reading and consider our friendship over. ;)
This was a really cute collection of wonderful quotes from various Muppet projects, guests of the Muppet Show, Henson himself, his family and other Muppet performers. I read much of this to my kids, as they also love the Muppets too. (That's how i know they're mine.) Here are some of my favourites from the book:

"It's not easy being green...
When green is all there is to be
Keith Chawgo
This is an interesting book for die hard fans of Jim Henson.

It is a colleciton of letters, transcripts, observations, etc by the great man himself. Although there is some very heartfelt messages to be found between the pages, it really is the sketches and pictures that really sell this book and make it stand out.

You will not learn anything new when reading this but you do somewhat delve into the man behind the muppets and a little bit of the magic he was able to create.

There is no depth about
Jessica
This was a great, inspirational little book. I recommend this to anyone who is a Jim Henson fan.

I meant to keep the book long enough to share a few of my favorite quotes but it had to make its way back to the library yesterday. However, I would seriously consider purchasing it because it was just that good. It's a little bit of Jim whispering in your ear everyday. It is what made him wonderful and what he wanted to share with the world to make it wonderful as well. It's refreshing to see someone
Lafcadio
Jan 29, 2008 Lafcadio rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lucas
Recommended to Lafcadio by: Jenna
My illusions have been shattered. Ok, maybe it's not that dramatic. Perhaps they have just been slowly eroded, and now that the erosion has gone on long enough, it is suddenly apparent. This is a small book (like, wallet sized) containing excerpts from It's Not Easy Being Green. A book of quotations from Jim Henson seems, at first glance, to make for a promising read, especially when these are excerpts from a larger volume - leading one to believe that the wisdom contained within is the absolute ...more
Gordon
It only takes an hour or two read, so it is recommended for any Muppet fan. I personally found it it a little sentimental and at time repetitive. I would have preferred more actual quotes of Muppets, Kermit especially says nice things which often have a frog specific element that adds humour to his comment (and Kermit's comments are literally from the mouth of Jim Henson himself).
Megan Salter
If you come to this book as a follower of Jim Henson, you probably eat it right up. For me, as a passive fan, it appeared to be idealistic worship of the man. It's very sweet that his children have a collection of cherished memories, but it's far too "hippie" for my cynical tastes.
Michael Barr
Found this at my local half price books couldnt resist buying it and listening to it. Jim Henson was an awesome person. Its a great audio book for children or adults. Basically Mr Henson's life was led by the golden rule. Do unto others as you would have them do into you.
Sandy
I love the muppets. This was a book on Jim Henson's philosophy of life viewed through variuous puppet masters who worked with him and of course, his muppets. I think if you want to read a book that is light and entertaining you should pick this up!
Derek
This is just a feel-good book. Jim Henson was a truly inspirational person for me and this is a great book of quotes by Jim, his characters and others that knew him. It's a quick read and well worth it when you need that little pick-me-up.
Lafcadio
I previously read and reviewed the condensed version of this book:

And though I still feel mostly the same way, I think I may be leaning a little more toward bad editing of the smaller book. Though Jim's wisdom is still not super-deep, it's still deeper than the short book would lead one to believe.

This version makes it ever more clear that Jim and Kermit are one and the same (like the sweet sound that calls the young sailors, and the voices that call your
Patrick Jackson
It is a wonderful book with quotes from Jim Henson. He was a fantastic thinker and artist! I recommend this book for anyone that likes Jim Henson, The Muppets, and Sesame Street. Henson was an innovator like Steve Jobs.
Rolanda
Growing up with the Muppets was great, and to read "It's Not Easy Being Green , put me back in time. Jim Henson certainly had a way with words and a talent for puppets. The man was brilliant!! Worth reading as an adult and if you have children, it's worth reading to them as well!
Steph Elias
A wonderful book. I am going to try and pick up and read through a few passages every morning. It might give me a different outlook on the day. He was very special and this book really shows that.
BoekenTrol
Nov 02, 2011 BoekenTrol rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: oppem
Recommended to BoekenTrol by: kasenka
Hannahw
"I think this is an ok non fiction book. It does not tell you much about Jim's childhood. It tells you more about him. It talks a lot about his quotes, that part got really boring. A lot of the quotes said different words but the same topics. Some of the paragraphs stated the same things. Yes I get it that he was a great friend of yours and that he tells you to reach for the stars, but that doesn't mean you need to say that on every other page. This one person was talking about him like he is a ...more
Morgan
this book was a great easy read. I think it would be great for pre teens or teens. It has a great message but isn't too heavy. I marked a few quotes for myself.
Luis
Henson's delightful book was a gift received by a friend.

This small book is a simple and yet thought provoking bit of magic from the the legendary master puppeteer.
i really love this book. Lots of heartwarming quotes na dlyrics. Lots of stories baout what a great man he was.

One of my favorite quotes from this book:
" I cannot say why I am good at what I do, but I can say I work very hard at it...Perhaps one thing that has helped me in achieving my goals is that I sincerely believe in what I do, and get great pleasure from it. I feel very fortunate because I can do what I love to do".

THIS is why Jim Henson was a great man. He BELIEVED in what he did. He LOVE
David Rowney
Great little fun book to dip into now and again for a smile and a few comforting words
Scott
This is one of those books which will either bore you to tears, or make you want to cry. For me, it was the latter. Jim Henson really was one of those rare geniuses that just seems to understand life and people better than anyone else. The book is a collection of quotes by Henson, those that knew him, and quotes from Muppets and Sesame Street characters. They all deal with his philosophy on the meaning of life, happiness, and getting along with each other. I've always been a big fan of his, so t ...more
  • Before You Leap: A Frog's-Eye View of Life's Greatest Lessons
  • Jim Henson: The Works: The Art, the Magic, the Imagination
  • The Wisdom of Big Bird (and the Dark Genius of Oscar the Grouch): Lessons from a Life in Feathers
  • Jim Henson's Designs and Doodles: A Muppet Sketchbook
  • Sesame Street Unpaved: Scripts, Stories, Secrets and Songs
  • My Life as a Furry Red Monster: What Being Elmo Has Taught Me About Life, Love and Laughing Out Loud
  • Sesame Street: A Celebration of 40 Years of Life on the Street
  • Everywhere Babies
  • Froggy Goes to the Doctor
  • My Very First Mother Goose
  • The World According to Mister Rogers: Important Things to Remember
James Maury "Jim" Henson was the most widely known puppeteer in American television history. He was the creator of The Muppets and the leading force behind their long creative run in the television series Sesame Street and The Muppet Show and films such as The Muppet Movie (1979) and The Dark Crystal (1982). He was also an Oscar-nominated film director, Emmy Award-winning television producer, and ...more
More about Jim Henson...
Jim Henson's Tale of Sand The Muppet Show Book Jim Henson's The Musical Monsters of Turkey Hollow OGN Doodling with Jim Henson: More than 50 fun & fanciful artistic exercises to inspire the doodler in you! Jim Henson's Storyteller

“[Kids] don't remember what you try to teach them. They remember what you are.” 1386 likes
“If you care about what you do and work hard at it, there isn't anything you can't do if you want to.” 401 likes