Blank-133x176
It's Not Easy Being Gr...

Jim Henson

It's Not Easy Being Green: And Other Things to Consider

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  915 ratings  ·  126 reviews
Published 2005

Jenny
For Christmas a few years ago, Forrest gave me My Life as a Furry Red Monster. I devoured the book on Christmas day, interrupting the family gathering to share tidbits of Kevin's story. So, when I saw It's Not Easy Being Green: And Other Things to Consider at the discount store today, I knew I had to pick it up (along with Before You Leap: A Frog's Eye View of Life's Greatest Lessons-- which I'll read this weekend). Of course, I read the book in under an hour. It's a wonderful tribute to Jim Hen...more
Jensownzoo
Jim Henson was one of the only "celebrities" that I literally burst into tears when I learned of his death. This book is a collection of quotes by and about Jim Henson and the characters he played. For example:

"He changed our lives. He changed the world.
And we'll continue his work, because that's how inspiration operates. People die, but inspiration lives and grows. Inspired by his gentleness, we'll fill the world with gentleness. Inspired by his vision, we'll fill the world with vision. Inspire...more
William Redd
Very inspirational book full of quotes from Jim Henson, the Muppets, Fraggle Rock, and the people and productions Henson created over the years. Henson was one of those men who touched so many lives through his work.

Whether it comes from song lyrics, thoughts from his journals, or words of wisdom from his coworkers; each quote in this book has the ability to lift you up and inspire you to greater things. Well, that's what it did for me anyway.
Nik
This audio book was short and sweet at just over an hour. It was narrated by Whoopi, Lithgow and Lewis with lots of quotes, songs and silliness. Anyone who loves The Muppets, Fraggles, Skeksis, Mystics, or Labyrinth Goblins will be pleased as pie with this book. Jim Henson was amazing. I got a little misty-eyed at a few points.
Carol
Small book with wonderful quotes from Jim, his friends and family, and the wonderful muppets he created. A wonderful man who will be loved by generations to come. I see that when I listen to my grandson's laughter as he is watching Sesame Street just like his mommy 30 years ago.
Kristin
Horribly disappointing. I love Jim Henson, I could never be disappointed by anything by him or about him, but here I am, disappointed. All the quotes were about the exact same things - nothing interesting, nothing to think about. Although I did appreciate thoughts by Dr. Teeth.
Julie
Words of wisdom from the Muppets...what's not to love?! And I don't mean by just Kermit, but the Fraggles, Emmett Otter, and Jim Henson himself.. A great coffee table and reference book for the masses.
Heather Faville
Listening is the first step and the last step. ~Cantus Fraggle

To those of you who know me, you are aware that I am a Muppet fan through and through. I love everything to do with Jim Henson's creations and the puppeteers who bring these loveable characters to life. So when I received It's Not Easy Being Green: And Other Things to Consider as a Christmas gift I was thrilled...I believe there was even an *arm flail* involved.

Jim inspired people to be better than they thought they could be. To be...more
Cindy
"But, you've heard enough. Now, it's time for you to listen. Go and find your songs."

Cantus Fraggle
Chris
Although the subject matter of this book was "right up my alley", I didn't like the presentation of the subject matter in this book. I have this via the unabridged Audible version, and it seems like the author portrays his life (according to Goodreads, the author is by Jim Henson) through the works of his characters through exact words from the works and very little background detail to describe why things were written. I did get a little more insight into the life of Jim Henson, but there was o...more
Jayme
How can you not LOVE Jim Henson and the Muppets? If you don't, please discontinue reading and consider our friendship over. ;)
This was a really cute collection of wonderful quotes from various Muppet projects, guests of the Muppet Show, Henson himself, his family and other Muppet performers. I read much of this to my kids, as they also love the Muppets too. (That's how i know they're mine.) Here are some of my favourites from the book:

"It's not easy being green...
When green is all there is to be...more
Keith Chawgo
This is an interesting book for die hard fans of Jim Henson.

It is a colleciton of letters, transcripts, observations, etc by the great man himself. Although there is some very heartfelt messages to be found between the pages, it really is the sketches and pictures that really sell this book and make it stand out.

You will not learn anything new when reading this but you do somewhat delve into the man behind the muppets and a little bit of the magic he was able to create.

There is no depth about...more
Jessica
This was a great, inspirational little book. I recommend this to anyone who is a Jim Henson fan.

I meant to keep the book long enough to share a few of my favorite quotes but it had to make its way back to the library yesterday. However, I would seriously consider purchasing it because it was just that good. It's a little bit of Jim whispering in your ear everyday. It is what made him wonderful and what he wanted to share with the world to make it wonderful as well. It's refreshing to see someone...more
Lafcadio
Jan 29, 2008 Lafcadio rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lucas
Recommended to Lafcadio by: Jenna
My illusions have been shattered. Ok, maybe it's not that dramatic. Perhaps they have just been slowly eroded, and now that the erosion has gone on long enough, it is suddenly apparent. This is a small book (like, wallet sized) containing excerpts from It's Not Easy Being Green. A book of quotations from Jim Henson seems, at first glance, to make for a promising read, especially when these are excerpts from a larger volume - leading one to believe that the wisdom contained within is the absolute...more
Michael Barr
Found this at my local half price books couldnt resist buying it and listening to it. Jim Henson was an awesome person. Its a great audio book for children or adults. Basically Mr Henson's life was led by the golden rule. Do unto others as you would have them do into you.
Lafcadio
I previously read and reviewed the condensed version of this book:

And though I still feel mostly the same way, I think I may be leaning a little more toward bad editing of the smaller book. Though Jim's wisdom is still not super-deep, it's still deeper than the short book would lead one to believe.

This version makes it ever more clear that Jim and Kermit are one and the same (like the sweet sound that calls the young sailors, and the voices that call your...more
BoekenTrol
Nov 02, 2011 BoekenTrol rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: oppem
Recommended to BoekenTrol by: kasenka
Hannahw
"I think this is an ok non fiction book. It does not tell you much about Jim's childhood. It tells you more about him. It talks a lot about his quotes, that part got really boring. A lot of the quotes said different words but the same topics. Some of the paragraphs stated the same things. Yes I get it that he was a great friend of yours and that he tells you to reach for the stars, but that doesn't mean you need to say that on every other page. This one person was talking about him like he is a...more
Luis
Henson's delightful book was a gift received by a friend.

This small book is a simple and yet thought provoking bit of magic from the the legendary master puppeteer.
i really love this book. Lots of heartwarming quotes na dlyrics. Lots of stories baout what a great man he was.

One of my favorite quotes from this book:
" I cannot say why I am good at what I do, but I can say I work very hard at it...Perhaps one thing that has helped me in achieving my goals is that I sincerely believe in what I do, and get great pleasure from it. I feel very fortunate because I can do what I love to do".

THIS is why Jim Henson was a great man. He BELIEVED in what he did. He LOVE...more
Scott
This is one of those books which will either bore you to tears, or make you want to cry. For me, it was the latter. Jim Henson really was one of those rare geniuses that just seems to understand life and people better than anyone else. The book is a collection of quotes by Henson, those that knew him, and quotes from Muppets and Sesame Street characters. They all deal with his philosophy on the meaning of life, happiness, and getting along with each other. I've always been a big fan of his, so t...more
Deborah
This is a revealing collection of quotes from Jim Henson, family members, colleagues, and many of his beloved characters. What I found most interesting is that they have more to do with leadership and work ethic than raw individualism or creativity, as the title would suggest. I guess it makes sense that creative people who are also successful must generally be good communicators, and those who are good communicators also tend to make the best kinds of leaders--those who attract followers and co...more
Daniel Sherrier
This is a great collection of quotes: some inspiring, some heartwarming, and some amusing to bring us right back down to earth.

"Whenever characters become self-important or sentimental in the Muppets, then there's always another character there to blow them up immediately." -- Frank Oz

These aren't just Jim Henson quotes. His family and colleagues are quoted as well, giving us a sense at how much one man can inspire.

I'm just disappointed it wasn't longer. It definitely could have been.
Kara
This is a very sweet book of quotations and thoughts from Jim Henson, his colleagues, family and friends. There are also quotes from Muppets and Fraggles--which is great, because I love those characters. Lots of good words to live by, and you can't help but smile as you read them. Many of the songs and lyrics in the book are still a part of Sesame Street--I know because it's my son's absolute favorite show! This is a lovely little book.
Dana
This is one of those books that's put in the gift rack; it's meant to be something cutesie you give to others. However, although it is merely quotes from and about the man (Jim Henson), his family, and his characters, the quotes are quite memorable. Obviously very easy to read, but I am still thinking on some of his quotes. This paints him as a simple appreciator of life who strove to impact those around him in a positive way.
Emily
Not quite as fun as I was expecting, but interesting glimpses into the history of the muppets and other Jim Henson productions. It's really a collection of quotes from Henson and those who worked with him through the years. Nothing really new or surprising, but a few of the quotes from Henson himself are good, particularly when he talks about how to view work life and fun life--get your work done so you can go have fun!
LibraryCin
This is primarily a book of quotes. Quotes by or about Jim Henson, the puppeteer of The Muppet Show and Sesame Street fame. Includes some quotes and songs by some of his characters, as well.

For some reason, I thought this was a memoir. I am not a big fan of quotes, but given some of the memories, this was cute. Some nice, uplifting quotes included in this book. Hensen was a very optimistic man.
VegasGal
Aug 29, 2009 VegasGal rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: muppet and Jim Henson fans
Shelves: read-2009
A delightful quick read that includes numerous quotes from Jim Henson, his coworkers in his muppet business and many muppets themselves, including, but not limited to favorites such as Kermit the frog, Ernie and Bert and even a few Fraggles. These quotes tell a wonderful tale about a man who truly loved his work in creating timeless characters that we all know and love so dearly. A great pick-me-up read.
Oleg Kagan
A book of quotes by and about Jim Henson. Reminded me of "The World According to Mister Rogers: Important Things to Remember," except that one was better.

Much of the quotes in this volume refer to creativity and how Jim Henson lived it and encouraged it. Some are delightful, but too many are repetitive.

Still, well read by all-star performers. An enjoyable listen.
Bunny
Featuring the voices of John Lithgow, Whoopi Goldberg, and Jerry Nelson (from the Muppets), with a little snippet of Jim Henson's voice, too. All people I love dearly.

But the story itself kind of went in one ear and out the other. There were some lovely bits that just didn't stick, which was frustrating. Maybe I need to read the hardback and see if I appreciate it more.
  • Jim Henson: The Works: The Art, the Magic, the Imagination
  • Before You Leap: A Frog's-Eye View of Life's Greatest Lessons
  • The Wisdom of Big Bird (and the Dark Genius of Oscar the Grouch): Lessons from a Life in Feathers
  • Sesame Street Unpaved: Scripts, Stories, Secrets and Songs
  • Sesame Street: A Celebration of 40 Years of Life on the Street
  • My Life as a Furry Red Monster: What Being Elmo Has Taught Me About Life, Love and Laughing Out Loud
  • Rhinoceros Tap: 15 Seriously Silly Songs
  • The World According to Mister Rogers: Important Things to Remember
  • The Blue Day Book: A Lesson in Cheering Yourself Up
  • Jump, Frog, Jump!
  • Another Monster at the End of This Book
James Maury "Jim" Henson was the most widely known puppeteer in American television history. He was the creator of The Muppets and the leading force behind their long creative run in the television series Sesame Street and The Muppet Show and films such as The Muppet Movie (1979) and The Dark Crystal (1982). He was also an Oscar-nominated film director, Emmy Award-winning television producer, and...more
More about Jim Henson...
Jim Henson's Tale of Sand The Muppet Show Book Jim Henson's Doodle Dreams: Inspiration for Living Life Outside the Lines For Every Child A Better World Doodling with Jim Henson: More than 50 fun & fanciful artistic exercises to inspire the doodler in you!

“[Kids] don't remember what you try to teach them. They remember what you are.” 1253 likes
“If you care about what you do and work hard at it, there isn't anything you can't do if you want to.” 389 likes