Start by marking “It's Not Easy Being Green: And Other Things to Consider ” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
It's Not Easy Being Gr...

Jim Henson

It's Not Easy Being Green: And Other Things to Consider

4.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,217 Ratings  ·  158 Reviews
Published 2005

To ask other readers questions about It's Not Easy Being Green, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Not Easy Being Green

Cathy DuPont
Dec 04, 2014 Cathy DuPont rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jim Henson was a genius. He was a wonderful man/child and philosopher who children all over the world know as Kermit.

Yes, it's one of the basic truths of the physical universe, Sprocket. Things don't disappear. They just change, and change, and change again.."---Doc from Fraggle Rock.

Message? I got no message! I'm a puppet, man. This is all sham...make believe? Like everything! Everybody! We're all puppets! That's why we gotta boogie boogie boogie!!!---Dr. Teeth.

I have a lot of great memories
Beth E
Dec 17, 2015 Beth E rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: muppets
I used this book to choose the quote that would go under my picture in my senior yearbook at college. We had to be able to show citation for the quote we chose, and this book was perfect for that. It has a special place in my heart.
Heather Faville
Jan 06, 2014 Heather Faville rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Listening is the first step and the last step. ~Cantus Fraggle

To those of you who know me, you are aware that I am a Muppet fan through and through. I love everything to do with Jim Henson's creations and the puppeteers who bring these loveable characters to life. So when I received It's Not Easy Being Green: And Other Things to Consider as a Christmas gift I was thrilled...I believe there was even an *arm flail* involved.

Jim inspired people to be better than they thought they could be. To be
Mar 04, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For Christmas a few years ago, Forrest gave me My Life as a Furry Red Monster. I devoured the book on Christmas day, interrupting the family gathering to share tidbits of Kevin's story. So, when I saw It's Not Easy Being Green: And Other Things to Consider at the discount store today, I knew I had to pick it up (along with Before You Leap: A Frog's Eye View of Life's Greatest Lessons-- which I'll read this weekend). Of course, I read the book in under an hour. It's a wonderful tribute to Jim Hen ...more
Jensownzoo
Apr 30, 2009 Jensownzoo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jim Henson was one of the only "celebrities" that I literally burst into tears when I learned of his death. This book is a collection of quotes by and about Jim Henson and the characters he played. For example:

"He changed our lives. He changed the world.
And we'll continue his work, because that's how inspiration operates. People die, but inspiration lives and grows. Inspired by his gentleness, we'll fill the world with gentleness. Inspired by his vision, we'll fill the world with vision. Inspire
Jim Henson was one of those truly remarkable people who seemed to spread happiness and hope wherever he went. This book, edited by his daughter, Cheryl, gathers together quotes by and about Jim and the Muppets. Most of the quotes aren't new to me, but all compiled together they make up a vague portrait of Jim and his mission: to spread peace and good cheer wherever he could.

By everyone's account, Jim was very much like his most beloved and well known character, Kermit the Frog. He was a madcap,
William Redd
Jul 02, 2013 William Redd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very inspirational book full of quotes from Jim Henson, the Muppets, Fraggle Rock, and the people and productions Henson created over the years. Henson was one of those men who touched so many lives through his work.

Whether it comes from song lyrics, thoughts from his journals, or words of wisdom from his coworkers; each quote in this book has the ability to lift you up and inspire you to greater things. Well, that's what it did for me anyway.
Melissa
Mar 18, 2016 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I grew up on The Muppets and all their variations. I also went to University of Maryland, where Jim Henson went. This is a fantastic collection of quotes from cast and crew (muppets included!.)
Nik
Feb 26, 2012 Nik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
This audio book was short and sweet at just over an hour. It was narrated by Whoopi, Lithgow and Lewis with lots of quotes, songs and silliness. Anyone who loves The Muppets, Fraggles, Skeksis, Mystics, or Labyrinth Goblins will be pleased as pie with this book. Jim Henson was amazing. I got a little misty-eyed at a few points.
Carol
May 24, 2009 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Small book with wonderful quotes from Jim, his friends and family, and the wonderful muppets he created. A wonderful man who will be loved by generations to come. I see that when I listen to my grandson's laughter as he is watching Sesame Street just like his mommy 30 years ago.
Kristin
Aug 08, 2007 Kristin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Horribly disappointing. I love Jim Henson, I could never be disappointed by anything by him or about him, but here I am, disappointed. All the quotes were about the exact same things - nothing interesting, nothing to think about. Although I did appreciate thoughts by Dr. Teeth.
Julie
Oct 29, 2007 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Words of wisdom from the Muppets...what's not to love?! And I don't mean by just Kermit, but the Fraggles, Emmett Otter, and Jim Henson himself.. A great coffee table and reference book for the masses.
Cindy
Jan 26, 2009 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-interest
"But, you've heard enough. Now, it's time for you to listen. Go and find your songs."

Cantus Fraggle
Adam
Jul 18, 2015 Adam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a nice gift book for Henson fans -- good for passing time on a rainy day or taken a page at a time as a short philosophical/creative devotional. Know that it is not exclusively a collection of Henson's sayings or writings, but rather includes quite a lot of quotes by people who were close to Henson, and by characters created through his production company. A more accurate credit would be "Jim Henson, his family, Jerry Juhl, Frank Oz, Dave Goelz, Joe Raposo, Steve Whitmire, Kevin Clash an ...more
Jayme
Apr 01, 2014 Jayme rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How can you not LOVE Jim Henson and the Muppets? If you don't, please discontinue reading and consider our friendship over. ;)
This was a really cute collection of wonderful quotes from various Muppet projects, guests of the Muppet Show, Henson himself, his family and other Muppet performers. I read much of this to my kids, as they also love the Muppets too. (That's how i know they're mine.) Here are some of my favourites from the book:

"It's not easy being green...
When green is all there is to be
Keith Chawgo
This is an interesting book for die hard fans of Jim Henson.

It is a colleciton of letters, transcripts, observations, etc by the great man himself. Although there is some very heartfelt messages to be found between the pages, it really is the sketches and pictures that really sell this book and make it stand out.

You will not learn anything new when reading this but you do somewhat delve into the man behind the muppets and a little bit of the magic he was able to create.

There is no depth about
Jessica
Aug 02, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great, inspirational little book. I recommend this to anyone who is a Jim Henson fan.

I meant to keep the book long enough to share a few of my favorite quotes but it had to make its way back to the library yesterday. However, I would seriously consider purchasing it because it was just that good. It's a little bit of Jim whispering in your ear everyday. It is what made him wonderful and what he wanted to share with the world to make it wonderful as well. It's refreshing to see someone
Lafcadio
Jan 29, 2008 Lafcadio rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lucas
Recommended to Lafcadio by: Jenna
My illusions have been shattered. Ok, maybe it's not that dramatic. Perhaps they have just been slowly eroded, and now that the erosion has gone on long enough, it is suddenly apparent. This is a small book (like, wallet sized) containing excerpts from It's Not Easy Being Green. A book of quotations from Jim Henson seems, at first glance, to make for a promising read, especially when these are excerpts from a larger volume - leading one to believe that the wisdom contained within is the absolute ...more
Michelle
Sep 10, 2015 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I love Jim Henson; his life, his philosophies, and his work ethic all speak very directly to me. If I could travel through time, I would go Washington, D.C. in 1956 in order to work with him. This book full of quotes is one of my most treasured - I probably read it more often than I do the Bible. But I don't mind this at all since it is one of my beliefs that the lives we live speak more to others of God and His work on this Earth than words bound in leather.
Gordon
Aug 29, 2014 Gordon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It only takes an hour or two read, so it is recommended for any Muppet fan. I personally found it it a little sentimental and at time repetitive. I would have preferred more actual quotes of Muppets, Kermit especially says nice things which often have a frog specific element that adds humour to his comment (and Kermit's comments are literally from the mouth of Jim Henson himself).
Marcus
Mar 24, 2016 Marcus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quite a solid "quote" book... largely due to the fact that Jim Henson was an exceptional talent. Very uplifting. I was especially impressed by how good he seemed to be behind the scenes... also impressed with how clearly he was trying to use creativity to bring out the best in his audiences.
Megan Salter
If you come to this book as a follower of Jim Henson, you probably eat it right up. For me, as a passive fan, it appeared to be idealistic worship of the man. It's very sweet that his children have a collection of cherished memories, but it's far too "hippie" for my cynical tastes.
Michael Barr
Feb 17, 2014 Michael Barr rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Found this at my local half price books couldnt resist buying it and listening to it. Jim Henson was an awesome person. Its a great audio book for children or adults. Basically Mr Henson's life was led by the golden rule. Do unto others as you would have them do into you.
Sandy
Jan 17, 2015 Sandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the muppets. This was a book on Jim Henson's philosophy of life viewed through variuous puppet masters who worked with him and of course, his muppets. I think if you want to read a book that is light and entertaining you should pick this up!
Amy
Mar 08, 2015 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've loved Jim Henson since the days of Sesame Street. What I took most from this was his practical and humble nature - he carried it into the workplace and into places where vanity and shallowness rule. His letter to his children was beautiful.
Derek
Jan 25, 2015 Derek rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is just a feel-good book. Jim Henson was a truly inspirational person for me and this is a great book of quotes by Jim, his characters and others that knew him. It's a quick read and well worth it when you need that little pick-me-up.
Lafcadio
I previously read and reviewed the condensed version of this book:

And though I still feel mostly the same way, I think I may be leaning a little more toward bad editing of the smaller book. Though Jim's wisdom is still not super-deep, it's still deeper than the short book would lead one to believe.

This version makes it ever more clear that Jim and Kermit are one and the same (like the sweet sound that calls the young sailors, and the voices that call your
Patrick Jackson
Nov 30, 2014 Patrick Jackson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a wonderful book with quotes from Jim Henson. He was a fantastic thinker and artist! I recommend this book for anyone that likes Jim Henson, The Muppets, and Sesame Street. Henson was an innovator like Steve Jobs.
Courtney Johnson
I thought this book was going to be full of inspirational quotes, but instead I found myself reading quotes about Jim Henson. I appreciated learning some facts about him, but overall I found this to be quite boring.
Stephen Mullaney-Westwood
If you want to have a book of beautiful philosophy that makes you feel the world is or can be a better place.... read the amazing insights of a felt frog.
Jim Henson of course... an inspiring individual.
  • Before You Leap: A Frog's-Eye View of Life's Greatest Lessons
  • Jim Henson: The Works: The Art, the Magic, the Imagination
  • The Wisdom of Big Bird (and the Dark Genius of Oscar the Grouch): Lessons from a Life in Feathers
  • Jim Henson's Designs and Doodles: A Muppet Sketchbook
  • Sesame Street Unpaved: Scripts, Stories, Secrets and Songs
  • Sesame Street: A Celebration of 40 Years of Life on the Street
  • Jim Henson's Doodle Dreams: Inspiration for Living Life Outside the Lines
  • My Life as a Furry Red Monster: What Being Elmo Has Taught Me About Life, Love and Laughing Out Loud
  • Rhinoceros Tap: 15 Seriously Silly Songs
  • Froggy Learns to Swim
  • Street Gang: The Complete History of Sesame Street
  • My Very First Mother Goose
  • Jump, Frog, Jump!
James Maury "Jim" Henson was the most widely known puppeteer in American television history. He was the creator of The Muppets and the leading force behind their long creative run in the television series Sesame Street and The Muppet Show and films such as The Muppet Movie (1979) and The Dark Crystal (1982). He was also an Oscar-nominated film director, Emmy Award-winning television producer, and ...more
More about Jim Henson...

“[Kids] don't remember what you try to teach them. They remember what you are.” 1603 likes
“If you care about what you do and work hard at it, there isn't anything you can't do if you want to.” 415 likes