Start by marking “Zombie CSU” as Want to Read:
Zombie CSU

Zombie CSU

Since Night of the Living Dead, zombies have been a frightening fixture on the pop culture landscape, lumbering after hapless humans, slurping up brains and veins and whatever warm, fleshy matter they can clench in their rotting limbs. But what if they were real? What would happen if, tomorrow, corpses across the nation began springing up out of their graves and ...more
Published September 1st 2008 by Citadel

Patrick D'Orazio
Nov 05, 2010 Patrick D'Orazio rated it it was amazing
So you love zombies? NO, I mean you really LOVE zombies? You spend time in chat rooms debating over the best methods to survive a zombie outbreak or zombie apocalypse. You argue with non-believers about how likely a zombie plague actually is. You love the mechanics of the various zombie incarnations and how society and more specifically the police, the military, and the every day Joe would actually react? You have dug so deep that you actually can vividly imagine the whole process of the zombie ...more
Natalie
Entertaining, interesting, and covers pretty much every aspect of the medico-legal and law enforcement angles of a potential zombie plague outbreak, which I liked. However, it was so riddled with editing errors that I wanted to take out my red marker and start having a go at it. Legendary director Val Lewton is referred to as "Hal" Lewton, and Ray Dennis Steckler's trash/masterpiece "The Incredibly Strange Creatures That Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies" is given the wrong title, as is ...more
Erica Quinn
Sep 30, 2009 Erica Quinn rated it it was amazing
This book was *very* cool. So cool in fact, that I have dogearred a bunch of pages so I can remember to go back and use some of the quotes for the project I'm writing as part of my postgrad degree at UofEdinburgh. I have some novel ideas about how I can use Zombies as a hook to make learning fun for 7 to 11 year olds. Admittedly, it might be stretching the connection a bit thin, but I think that a make-believe Zombie Apocalypse could very well be the catalyst needed to make it impossible for the ...more
Rick
Dec 14, 2008 Rick rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, non-fiction
If you are a fan of zombies, this book is for you. The author goes into great detail about how the authorities would respond to a zombie outbreak, if such a thing ever happened. He is not just shooting from the hip either. He interviewed hundreds of experts in various fields and then breaks down that information step-by-step. A great read, though there were some parts where it got a little dry.

The book did have some minor typos here and there, and one huge typo (attributing the First Amendment t
Michael Roop
May 30, 2011 Michael Roop rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I encountered by Jonathan Maberry. After this I was hooked on his works. Originally I was going to use this book for a research paper in speech for the spring semester of school, then something happened. I realized what Jonathan Maberry has done with this book. A scenario was posed and extensive research around the scenario was was revealed. I went on to make a helluva grade. This book is fantastic. This is a must read for any zombie apocalypse survivalist theorist. Plus ...more
Peta
Jul 05, 2014 Peta rated it really liked it
Awesome book! I started reading it not having a clue what it was but was quickly became so engaged in the 'how would things actually go down' information in he he book. I loved that the author consulted with people in different industries to discuss such things. I would say this book is a must for anyone preparing for a zombie outbreak or horror film enthusiasts as there are lots of film references in the book.
Holly
Jun 15, 2010 Holly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: zombies and their fans
Shelves: zombies
Funny, quirky, but not as good as the Zombie Survival Guide. Still worth a read though.
Kathryn
Sep 26, 2009 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Lots of useful information in this book. (Said with tongue in cheek.)
Jason Medina
Sep 18, 2016 Jason Medina rated it liked it
I found it useful for my research to a certain extent, as I am writing a zombie book. However, I felt like there was way too much time spent on debating whether or not fast or slow zombies are best. Plus, the opening fictional scenario was completely forgotten. We should have returned to that scenario by the end of the book and moved on to what happens next.
Thee_ron_clark
Feb 13, 2009 Thee_ron_clark rated it it was amazing
Shelves: zombies
Every fan of the zombie genre needs to read this book. I don't know if I can make that statement any more clear. I would say that this is a must have book, along with Wolrd War Z, The Zombie Survival Guide, and The Field Guide to the Apocalypse. With these four books in tow, you should find yourself more than prepared to make it through the zombie outbreak that hits your neighborhood or perhaps the world. Should you not survive, these books should provide hours of "what ifs" and entertainment fo ...more
Carlie
Mar 22, 2010 Carlie rated it really liked it
This book was a lot of fun. One of the things about zombie books is that the apocalypse is pretty much a given: once the zombies have come, say a hail mary, baby, cause the world is pretty much over. You might make yourself a sweet little nest, but otherwise? The world is doomed. So, it was neat to see the argument for why this apocalypse would never happen, how the cops would have it handled without the whole end is night stuff. Not sure I entirely buy it, but the arguments are compelling. ...more
Dana *
May 18, 2010 Dana * rated it liked it
Recommends it for: zombies, horror
Not a novel, but a study of what if's in fighting the zombie apocalypse. Or at least one zombie.

The author interviews experts in several fields about how a 'real' zombie would be approached from their angle. Police, medicine, legal fields are all discussed. This is an enjoyable read, especially for all those practical people who sit in a movie audience and yell 'come on!' when the characters do something stupid and get defeated by the zomibes.

It is a large volume, but neatly divided and very tho
Amanda
Mar 20, 2015 Amanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombies
If I wasn't into forensics, science, and police work, I would have hated this book. Besides learning about real plagues and viruses, that actually had me interested enough to google them, this book also points out historic zombie films and books.
I can't even tell you how many times "night of the living dead" is brought up.
One fault that I couldn't help but let bother me, is the book starts out with a crime scene and points back to it a few times, but we never follow up with it as to if it was
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
Sep 11, 2010 Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides marked it as decided-not-to-read
Speaking as someone who has been known to read the manuals for tabletop games she will never play, just for fun ... reading this was like reading the dry and technical parts of a GURPS (or similar) book. Way to suck all the fun out of the walking corpses. >.> That said, it's got some pretty good historical overview material of the whole zombie phenomenon, even if the sidebars and art break up the flow of the text too much.
Kel
Nov 05, 2013 Kel rated it really liked it
I would recommend this book to every zombie fan and to anyone who has ever thought about how likely a zombie apocalypse really is.

Maberry covers everything from likely causes, possible zombie physiology, police response/procedure, likelihood of wide scale infection and much more.

Zombie CSU is a well thought out book with interesting and well researched ideas. Maberry's conclusions are informed and interesting.

Zombie CSU belongs on every zombie fans bookcase.
Lisa Janda
Apr 28, 2009 Lisa Janda rated it liked it
No joke: I fear a zombie apocalypse. And social networking on Facebook. Whilst this book did little to alleviate my fears, simply because I am silly paranoid about this scenario, the author delivers a fascinating blend of fact and fiction with great logic and care. If you are a fan of CSI or forensics then this is a must read. You needn't be a horror fan to appreciate it.
Jon Carroll  Thomas
Mar 09, 2009 Jon Carroll Thomas rated it really liked it
This was pretty great- an examination of how the authorities would actually respond to a real-life zombie outbreak. Many interesting interviews with police, doctors, etc. If I had to change one thing though, I'd cut out most of the fan-boy stuff; the star interviews and fan art, and just stick to the facts.
Shannon
Aug 06, 2011 Shannon rated it it was amazing
This was a great book. I learned more about police procedure and other things than I thought I ever could have. They took what police do and put into a working situation with zombies. Would we really be overrun?? Also, they looked at what would be the most logical way for a zombie plague to happen. VERY interesting stuff in my book. Especially the "zombie chop sockey".
Mia
Feb 07, 2009 Mia rated it really liked it
A striking mix of real crime scene technology applied to a hypothetical zombie uprising. Useful lists of books and movies included, as well as some interesting artwork. Experts speak about everything from blood spatter analysis to infectious disease.
Itana
Jan 21, 2016 Itana rated it liked it
I enjoyed the well thought out details, but felt maybe the author was a bit too optimistic about police or government response to a real zombie that.

But it was very interesting and I loved the lists of best/worst zombie movies and best books/anthologies to add to my to watch/to read lists!
Stephanie
Mar 22, 2009 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Incredible resource that provides practical, "realistic" information regarding a zombie outbreak. Also includes TONS of zombie movies, art, music, and television to check out.
Angela
Jan 17, 2011 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombie, work
An entertaining book,that is full of good and accurate information plus quite a bit of information on books, comics, movies and music, all related to the Zombie.
WendyB
Oct 24, 2013 WendyB rated it liked it
Had to skim through a few parts but the book is fun and informative on police procedures dealing with crime, even as it might relate to a zombie infestation.
Shawn Manning
Apr 20, 2011 Shawn Manning rated it really liked it
Loved this one. Read it a while ago but got a kick out of it, especially working in a medical library. I keep meaning to read more by him
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2009
Bechir
Bechir rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2016
John Lane
John Lane rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2015
Mark Kenny
Mark Kenny rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2014
Brianna
Brianna rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2016
Jonny Berg
Jonny Berg rated it liked it
May 30, 2014
  • Eden
  • Zombie Movies: The Ultimate Guide
  • Twilight of the Dead
  • Zombies for Zombies: Advice and Etiquette for the Living Dead
  • Can You Survive the Zombie Apocalypse?
  • Zombies: Encounters with the Hungry Dead
  • Zombie Britannica
  • The Rage Plague
  • Xombies
  • Zombies: The Recent Dead
JONATHAN MABERRY is a New York Times best-selling and multiple Bram Stoker Award-winning horror and thriller author, magazine feature writer, playwright, content creator and writing teacher/lecturer. His books have been sold to more than a dozen countries.

His novels include the Pine Deep Trilogy: GHOST ROAD BLUES (Pinnacle books; winner of the Bram Stoker Award for Best First Novel in 2006), DEAD
More about Jonathan Maberry...