Start by marking “The Dragon in the Sock Drawer (Dragon Keepers, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Dragon in the Sock Drawer (Dragon Keepers, #1)

The Dragon in the Sock Drawer (Dragon Keepers #1)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  1,209 ratings  ·  133 reviews

An Internet search leads them to the library, which leads them
Published July 22nd 2008 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Dragon in the Sock Drawer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dragon in the Sock Drawer

The Magic Half by Annie BarrowsCaptain Nobody by Dean PitchfordThe Puzzling World of Winston Breen by Eric BerlinPlease Write in This Book by Mary AmatoElephant Run by Roland Smith
Maud Hart Lovelace 2011-2012
9th out of 20 books — 9 voters
The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen ChboskyOne Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken KeseyGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonWatership Down by Richard Adams
Fascinating Titles
126th out of 202 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

Dolly
Mar 21, 2012 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children starting to read longer chapter books
This is the first book in the Dragon Keepers series by Kate Klimo and John Shroades. We discovered this series by chance during a library visit and my oldest is enthralled. She read this book almost nonstop until she finished it and we've quickly put the next three books in the series on hold at our local library. She really hopes that more will be published soon!

I found the book to be a quick, entertaining read. It's a great book to introduce children into the sci-fi/fantasy genre and has some
Kathy Martin
This is a cute middle grade or upper elementary fantasy about two cousins who find a dragon in a geode. Jesse and Daisy are best friends and both are believers in magic. They have created their own magical museum in an abandoned barn that has become their playhouse. Daisy's dad is a geologist. On one trip with him, Jesse finds a geode that his uncle calls a thunder egg. What he doesn't mention right away is that the egg talks to him. After Uncle Joe is unsuccessful at cutting open the geode, Jes ...more
Michele
Book 1 of Kate Klimo’s Dragon Keepers series, The Dragon in the Sock Drawer, finds cousins Jesse and Daisy caring for and protecting their newly hatched dragon. Emmy, whose name is really Emerald, hatches out of an egg that Jesse thought was a geode, and she immediately begins to grow. In fact, she doubles her size every day. The kids tell Daisy’s dad, Joe, that Emmy is a green basilisk lizard from Costa Rica. Unfortunately, their lie lands them in trouble because Joe, thinking that someone has ...more
Cheryl
I just read this book out loud to my 7 year-old son, and I'm not sure which one of us enjoyed it more! The writing is enticing and the storyline one that hooks your attention. The elements of fantasy (the discovery and hatching of a dragon egg) are delightful, and the characters are real enough for kids to relate to. Although the book is fantasy, the story is well-crafted and believable. My son is a reluctant reader, and this book captured his imagination and we can't wait for the release of the ...more
Nancy Kotkin
The Dragon in the Sock Drawer
by Kate Klimo

This middle-grade novel, written for pure entertainment, is a fantasy about a pair of ten-year-old cousins who find a geode that really turns out to be a dragon egg. The egg soon hatches and the cousins are now “dragon keepers”, assisted by a mysterious web site. (This is a real web site maintained by Random House.) As a plot complication, there is an evil dragon slayer, posing as a university herpetologist in town, who is after the dragon. However, the
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Breia "The Brain" Brickey for TeensReadToo.com

This is the story of ten-year-old cousins Jesse and Daisy, who look every day for something magical to happen to them.

They find what they believe is a geode called a Thunder egg. The "Thunder egg," though, turns out to be a dragon egg - and thus begins the story of two young Dragon Keepers.

I thoroughly enjoyed THE DRAGON IN THE SOCK DRAWER from beginning to end. Jesse and Daisy learn as the days pass how to take care of their new charge
Amanda Erickson
This is a really cute book. Got it for my daughters, but ended up reading it on my own when they didn't seem interested in starting it (too many new books right now to choose from).

They like the Keyholder books by Debbie Dadey, so thought they might like this series.

This book was written so much better than the Keyholder series. It's a fun romp and isn't ever confusing, as opposed to the Keyholder books. Sometimes with the Keyholder books, they seem to be written as if the author just skipped a
Sandy
I randomly picked up this book for my 3rd grade son to read this summer. He really enjoyed it so I (half-jokingly) said I would read it too. I just finished it today, and I'll have to say I thought it was a cute book! I really like that the author finds a way to explain the definition of big words to the reader, in a fun way. Cute story. I think we'll both read #2! :)
Elizabeth
This was an interesting book. It’s some strange cross between historical lore and fantasy, with Saint George (that’s the Saint George from Saint George and the Dragon) as the villain and a talking website as the kids’ helper.

“Strange” is a good work to describe this book, really. From Daisy calling her dad “my adorable poppy,” to the talking website, to Emmy Talk. Ing. Like. This, to her disguising herself as a sheepdog…strange is definitely appropriate, here. But it was a good strange, or at le
Shala Howell
The six-year-old loves this series. We had been reading it one chapter at a time together at storytime but she got too impatient with that and stole the book to read on her own. She is very generously allowing me to continue reading this book to her in the evenings even though she is two books ahead in the series already.
Jessicaf
johanna d.m.
Read this when I was younger and adored it, but it's too young for me now >.<
Theresa
What an adorable read!

Jesse is staying with his cousin Daisy and her parents while his parents are in Africa and he discovers a rock that calls his name. Literally. Once it opens, there is a tiny dragon inside and they name her Emerald or Emmy for short.

Lots of chaos ensues including a computer program that hears you, a bad guy name Dr. St George, (oh my that is just lovely),and a "museum" of magic. The kids always wanted their own magical adventure and now they had it.

I love the way the story i
Angie
Synopsis: "TEN-YEAR-OLD COUSINS Jesse and Daisy have always wanted something magical to happen to them. So it’s a wish come true when Jesse’s newly found thunder egg hatches, and a helpless, tiny but very loud baby dragon pops out. Soon the two kids are at the dragon’s beck-and-call, trying to figure out what to feed her.

An Internet search leads them to the library, which leads them back to the Internet, where they find a very strange Web site called “foundadragon.org.” It is here that the cousi
Lily
I. Like. This. Book. IlikethisbookIlikethisbookIlikethisbookIlikethisbook I. REALLY. LIKED. THIS. BOOK!!! Book gooooooood...(My Emmy impression, how'd I do?)
Oh my goodness, I am 22 years old and I thoroughly enjoyed reading this. Every page and chapter had me either focused, smiling, or laughing!

I really loved the plot - goes to show that you don't need a 400 page book to tell a good story. The plot here was awesome! Usually a 159 page book (in my experience) is either rushed or lacking developm
Shelli
The Dragon in the Sock Drawer is the first book in the Dragon Keepers young fantasy series by Kate Klimo. Two ten-year-old cousins, Jesse and Daisy, are spending the summer looking for a magical adventure. One day while searching for thunder eggs adventure calls to them. Surprisingly the voice calling to them is coming from Jesse’s newly discovered rock!

This is a quick and fun read that both young boys and girls will love. When I was a children’s librarian dragon books were always a hot commodit
Ashley Molloy
I have read almost this entire series to my boys and they just love it. They beg every night to hear more about what will happen next to Emmy and her Dragon Keepers. A perfect mix of fantasy and suspense. The characters are very caring and have good values. They use lots of big words, which they describe for their readers, too! Another review I read said for those who have finished Magic Tree House but aren't ready for Harry Potter.
Sydney Klimas
I finished this book in one sitting because it was very suspenseful. After reading, I found out this book was part of a series and I would gladly read those as well. This story would be good for upper elementary or middle school students. It's a good introduction into the fantasy / sci-fi books. Even though this book is fantasy, there are many parts in this book that kids can relate to, including lessons that can be learned.
Julie
This was a really cool book. Jessie was the main character. My favorite part was when the egg from the dragon hatched it exploded and there were socks everywhere! My least favorite part is when there father made them put up lost and found signs for the dragon even though they knew it was theirs. I felt that something I had in common with Daisy, we both have read "The Lion, The Witch, and The Waredrobe." - E. 9 yo
Bridget R. Wilson
Jesse gets more that he bargained for when he finds a thunder egg on the mountain. Usually, thunder eggs contain beautiful crystals. But Jesse’s thunder egg is different. For one thing, it talks. It also refuses (three saw blades sacrifice themselves) to be cut open. What Jesse’s really found is a dragon egg. When it hatches, he and his cousin Daisy do their best to care their new friend Emmy (short for Emerald) and protect her from the evil St. George.

What I thought: A fantastic story with grea
Kirsa
I got bored, and then I got more bored, and stopped well short of halfway through. I know I'm not a ten year old, but I found the writing overly simplistic (yet with random vocabulary words thrown in!)...maybe better for a seven to eight year old. I'd be perfectly fine with my kids reading this, once they know how to read, but it is not going on the read-aloud together list.
Beth A.
So, I actually have kinda read this book. If by read you mean listened to it over and over, out of order, and while I'm actually trying to read my own book.

My four year old daughter is obsessed with this story, repeatedly checking out the audio book, listening every night, calling herself by the main character's name (Jesse not Daisy), and carrying around- talking to and about- a small plastic dragon she calls Emmy.

He he he. I should give it five stars just for that.

Read in March -comments- May
Alissa
I think this is a fun beginning to what I hope shapes up to be an entertaining children's series. My eight year old stole borrowed it from me while I was trying to read it and read it himself. I've got the next one to start, but I'm handing it to him first. :)
Maya Madhavan
I really enjoyed this book. It was suspenseful, humorous, and heartbreaking all at once. It was an excellent read, and I would recommend it. My friend recommended this book for me when I had to read a fantasy book for school.
Jess
Feb 19, 2014 Jess rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
Read this book one chapter a night to my 4 kids, ages 3 to 8 and they all loved it! at the end of every chapter they begged me to read more. I thought it was entertaining and a good book for all ages and both genders.
Bonnie Stottlemyer
This is a little more intense than the cover and title imply...just right for middle readers who are moving up in the dragon story world! Interesting take on St. George...
Chloe Coombs
Nov 17, 2011 Chloe Coombs rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: My, er, friends.
Recommended to Chloe by: Jonah
Quite a book, I must say! When I looked at the picture of Emmy on the cover I was rather interested, as I am a avid fantasy-book reader. Though the small dragon's appearance disappointed me a bit, (It is, in my mind, a rather stereo-typical looking dragon. I'd imagine a dragon much different, with it's mouth stretching not quite so far back into it's head, and body-to-head dimensions a little more correct. Emmy's ability to talk was not desirous for me, nor her speaking patterns.) but it is not ...more
Dragon
this book really inspired me. this series of books are so fascinating that I just want to keep reading about it. my school only has book 1,2,3,5. my librarian looked everywhere and asked every school but nobody else had the series. I wish that my school had the fourth book to the series because I am on the third book right now maybe only 100 pages left. this series inspired me to read more.
Ellie Wig
After being begged to read this for weeks, I read it... And liked it! A fun read that a 10 year old boy I know (said beggar) loved, and I enjoyed as well.
Lexie Stidham
Dragon in the sock drawer is very entertaining, joyful, cute, and wonderful. It makes me feel so ecstatic every time it read it.
  • Gruffen (The Dragons of Wayward Crescent, #1)
  • The Basilisk’s Lair (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #2)
  • The Dragon of Lonely Island
  • The Secret Zoo (The Secret Zoo, #1)
  • No Such Thing As Dragons
  • The New Kid at School (Dragon Slayers' Academy, #1)
  • Ferno The Fire Dragon (Beast Quest, #1)
  • The Dragon of Cripple Creek
  • The Dragon of Never-Was (Hatching Magic, #2)
  • The Brightest Night (Wings of Fire #5)
  • The Pirate's Coin: A Sixty-Eight Rooms Adventure (Sixty-Eight Rooms #3)
  • Villain School: Good Curses Evil
  • Aliens on Vacation
  • The Three Furies (Erec Rex, #4)
  • Captain Nobody
  • Night Gate (The Gateway Trilogy, #1)
  • The Familiars (The Familiars, #1)
  • The Dragon of Trelian (Trelian, #1)

Dragon Keepers (6 books)
  • The Dragon in the Driveway (Dragon Keepers, #2)
  • The Dragon in the Library (Dragon Keepers, #3)
  • The Dragon in the Volcano (Dragon Keepers #4)
  • The Dragon in the Sea (Dragon Keepers #5)
  • The Dragon at the North Pole (Dragon Keepers #6)
The Dragon in the Driveway (Dragon Keepers, #2) Daughter of the Centaurs (Centauriad, #1) The Dragon in the Library (Dragon Keepers, #3) The Dragon in the Volcano (Dragon Keepers #4) Ginger (Dog Diaries, #1)