Start by marking “Complex Variables and Applications” as Want to Read:
Complex Variables and Applications

Complex Variables and Applications

"Complex Variables and Applications, 8E" will serve, just as the earlier editions did, as a textbook for an introductory course in the theory and application of functions of a complex variable. This new edition preserves the basic content and style of the earlier editions. The text is designed to develop the theory that is prominent in applications of the subject. You will ...more
Published December 31st 1990 by McGraw-Hill Companies (first published December 1st 1960)

To ask other readers questions about Complex Variables and Applications, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Complex Variables and Applications

James Swenson
Jan 16, 2012 James Swenson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK, I'm giving it 4 stars now, but I'm going to teach from it for the first time this semester (Spring 2012). Let's see what I think in May....

[UPDATE] The course is finished; I now like the book slightly more than I did going in. The exercises provide good material for an undergraduate course.
Walter
Jun 14, 2016 Walter rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mathematics
This book was recommended to me by my advisor as a good intro/refresher for complex variables. According to him, back in his days this book was widely regarded as the gold standard for this subject. Now that I've had some time with it, I cannot find reason to disagree.

The exposition is clear, with just enough examples to get the point across. The themes are well organized and all major theorems are accompanied by their proofs, which is a godsend. The exercises offer plenty of opportunity to appl
Abbey
Aug 13, 2011 Abbey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
not too bad overall, but I found myself looking for other texts to see if they explained concepts better quite a bit. needed clearer explanations in places.
Physicist-CY
It's a pretty good book, although others(like Zill's "A First Course on Complex Analysis") are much better particularly in their explanations of what is intuitively something while Churchill and Brown's book relies on the computational aspect. So, as a book for mathematicians its insufficient and as a book on applied mathematics it lacks intuition. Also, not much applications.
I would actually recommend buying Zill's book rather than this.
Thomas
Mar 15, 2016 Thomas rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I used this book for an undergraduate course, and I simply have a bad experience with it. Most of the sections preceding the problems are too wordy, as if the author is assuming the reader has no background in mathematics at all, and this wordy treatment actually makes it more confusing. I would recommend Complex Analysis in the Spirit of Lipman Bers or Complex Analysis by Freitag.
Salah Abuzaina
Feb 11, 2008 Salah Abuzaina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Salah by: My Faculty
This book summarizes the main outlines of complex analysis, and the theory of functions of complex variables.It discusses complex analysis whithin various fields, such as : properties of complex numbers, mappings, elementary functions, series, analytic and harmonic functions and integrals.
Nick Black
Got me through undergraduate Complex Anal, but I didn't really understand the stuff until reading Penrose. Uninspiring, but acceptable...for now.
NumberLord
Apr 27, 2007 NumberLord rated it liked it
Shelves: mathematics
A decent book for learning complex analysis if you're an undergraduate. For graduate students, I would look elsewhere.
Matthew
Matthew rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2012
Shehwar Rajput
Shehwar Rajput rated it did not like it
Sep 08, 2015
Rowmail Poca
Rowmail Poca rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2015
Sarah Ali
Sarah Ali rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2016
Jared Moljo
Jared Moljo rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2014
Geoff
Geoff rated it did not like it
Aug 04, 2014
Tejas
Tejas rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2015
Ikram
Ikram rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2014
Syed Ali
Syed Ali rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2015
Snoopzatlordogg
Snoopzatlordogg rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2016
Gor_wor
Gor_wor rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2015
Julieta
Julieta rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2013
Sanju
Sanju rated it did not like it
Feb 27, 2015
Martin
Martin rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2012
Saleh Rafi
Saleh Rafi rated it it was ok
Sep 01, 2016
Necodefence
Necodefence rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2016
Janus
Janus rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2012
Praveen
Praveen rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2012
Mathew Calkins
Mathew Calkins rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Debjyoti Bardhan
Debjyoti Bardhan rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2015
Najeh
Najeh rated it it was ok
Oct 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Cauchy-Rieman Equations 1 7 Feb 11, 2008 01:36PM
  • Real Analysis
  • Algebra (Graduate Texts in Mathematics) (v. 73)
  • Principles of Mathematical Analysis
  • Numerical Analysis
  • Elementary Differential Equations And Boundary Value Problems
  • Introduction to Mathematical Statistics
  • Mathematical Proofs: A Transition to Advanced Mathematics
  • Topology
  • Calculus [With CDROM]
  • Number Theory
  • Matrix Computations (Johns Hopkins Studies in the Mathematical Sciences)
  • Numerical Methods for Scientists and Engineers
  • Naive Set Theory
  • Classical Dynamics of Particles and Systems
  • Contemporary Abstract Algebra
  • Fourier Series
  • Mathematical Methods for Physicists
  • Elementary Analysis: The Theory of Calculus

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »