Start by marking “Dokebi Bride, Volume 1 ” as Want to Read:
Dokebi Bride, Volume 1

Dokebi Bride, Volume 1

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  52 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
by Marley
"Having been born into a shaman family, Sunbi has inherited supernatural powers to see and communicate with spirits just like her grandmother, who was once a notable shaman and savior of their little South Seas fishing village. Sunbi's dark, alienated childhood continues onto a new stage of difficult challenges when she joins her re-married father in Seoul after
Published April 11th 2006 by NETCOMICS (first published March 15th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Dokebi Bride, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dokebi Bride, Volume 1

Noblesse by Son Jae Ho신의 탑 1 by SIU안나라수마나라 1 by Ha Il KwonTotally Captivated, Volume 1 by Hajin YooBride of the Water God, Volume 1 by Mi-Kyung Yun
Favorite Manhwa Series
42nd out of 49 books — 84 voters
Beauty Pop, Vol. 1 by Kiyoko AraiD.Gray-man, Vol. 1 by Katsura HoshinoLa Corda d'Oro, Volume 1 by Yuki KureBlood Alone, Volume 1 by Masayuki Takano+Anima 1 by Natsumi Mukai
Manga released in 2006
50th out of 100 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

John Weeks
Jul 12, 2013 John Weeks rated it really liked it
Young girl from fishing village with shamanic gifts moves to Seoul. Starts slow, but it's a nicely textured story that examines the shamanistic traditions of Korea via its protagonist. Some horrific imagery but it's all in keeping with the mythos.
Kienie
Apr 21, 2015 Kienie rated it really liked it
The art is always very expressive and often detailed. I don't know where this story is going, but this felt like a very good introduction to this version of demons and ritual. I also really like Sunbi, our protagonist. I also like how the supernatural works with the human world. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of it and finding out the rest of the story.

What pisses me off though is that the grandma obviously knew what was coming, and yet she left Sunbi pretty unprepared. She didn't teach
Sianeka
Mar 27, 2008 Sianeka rated it did not like it
Shelves: manga
Typical angst-filled outsider teenager doesn't fit in with her family or peers. Sunbi is born into a shaman family and can see demons, gods and spirits that most people can't. This causes her estrangement from her immediate family, who can't abide the spiritism of shaman side of the family, and distances her from classmates. Neither the story nor artwork is particularly distinguished.

If you like this type of story, this is an adequate yarn in this genre. But it never rises above adequacy and I
Joy
Sep 21, 2009 Joy rated it liked it
Recommended to Joy by: skg046
An interesting mish-mash. The pretty cover art is deceptive; the interior art is often intentionally not pretty in a way that's interesting and effective. No enormous sunjeong manhwa eyes here! And Sunbi herself is an interesting heroine; not exactly likable, but the edge of her anger feels real and earned, and is a nice change of pace from other manhwa protagonists I have known.
Steph
Apr 14, 2008 Steph rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga
Dokebi Bride is a rather serious manwha about high school, ghosts, and traditional Korean culture. The story moves slowly in volume 1 and I found myself a bit bored (except for the Korean culture angle, which was relatively new to me.) The art seemed inconsistent and the dialogue (or rather the translation) a bit unnatural though.
Kagama-the Literaturevixen
Jul 10, 2012 Kagama-the Literaturevixen rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
Its very unusual. Art is more realistic than pretty. And the dokebis are no bishounen (korean equivalent anyone?)
Kate
Oct 02, 2011 Kate added it
Shelves: 2011
Wow some of this art is really bad. But I enjoyed learning about Korean shamanism.
Levi Leach
Sep 25, 2013 Levi Leach rated it did not like it
1.5 Stars - Not very interesting so far. May read the next book.
Lani
Lani added it
Jan 24, 2016
Jane Francis
Jane Francis marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
Sujata
Sujata rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2015
Praj
Praj marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
Akila
Akila marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2015
Dilsh Wijesinghe
Dilsh Wijesinghe marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2015
Arianna
Arianna rated it did not like it
Aug 06, 2015
Somethingpurple
Somethingpurple marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Naailah Patel
Naailah Patel marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Emmy Lou
Emmy Lou marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Holly Letson
Holly Letson marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
EHW
EHW rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2015
Madeline Friedman
Madeline Friedman marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
LoriLou
LoriLou marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Leach
Leach rated it did not like it
Dec 23, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2014
Shane
Shane marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014