Dokebi Bride, Volume 1

Dokebi Bride, Volume 1

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Korea's most talked-about series in 2005! Born into a shaman family, Sunbi has inherited the power to see and communicate with spirits just like her grandmother, a notable shaman and savior of their little fishing village in the South Sea. Early on, she sees things like an imposter shaman being thrashed by a dragon of the deep, and doesn't understand that none of her schoo...more
Published April 4th 2006 by NETCOMICS (first published March 15th 2006)

Beauty Pop, Vol. 1 by Kiyoko AraiD.Gray-man, Vol. 01 by Katsura HoshinoLa Corda d'Oro, Volume 1 by Yuki KureBlood Alone, Volume 1 by Masayuki Takano+Anima 1 by Natsumi Mukai
Manga released in 2006
48th out of 100 books — 10 voters
Noblesse by Son Jae Ho신의 탑 1 by SIUGoong by Park So Hee안나라수마나라 1 [Annarasumanara 1] by Ha Il KwonChocolat, Volume 1 by Ji-Sang Shin
Favorite Manhwa Series
36th out of 36 books — 35 voters

More lists with this book...

John Weeks
Young girl from fishing village with shamanic gifts moves to Seoul. Starts slow, but it's a nicely textured story that examines the shamanistic traditions of Korea via its protagonist. Some horrific imagery but it's all in keeping with the mythos.
Kienie
The art is always very expressive and often detailed. I don't know where this story is going, but this felt like a very good introduction to this version of demons and ritual. I also really like Sunbi, our protagonist. I also like how the supernatural works with the human world. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of it and finding out the rest of the story.

What pisses me off though is that the grandma obviously knew what was coming, and yet she left Sunbi pretty unprepared. She didn't teach...more
Sianeka
Typical angst-filled outsider teenager doesn't fit in with her family or peers. Sunbi is born into a shaman family and can see demons, gods and spirits that most people can't. This causes her estrangement from her immediate family, who can't abide the spiritism of shaman side of the family, and distances her from classmates. Neither the story nor artwork is particularly distinguished.

If you like this type of story, this is an adequate yarn in this genre. But it never rises above adequacy and I...more
Joy
Sep 21, 2009 Joy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Joy by: skg046
An interesting mish-mash. The pretty cover art is deceptive; the interior art is often intentionally not pretty in a way that's interesting and effective. No enormous sunjeong manhwa eyes here! And Sunbi herself is an interesting heroine; not exactly likable, but the edge of her anger feels real and earned, and is a nice change of pace from other manhwa protagonists I have known.
Steph
Apr 14, 2008 Steph rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
Dokebi Bride is a rather serious manwha about high school, ghosts, and traditional Korean culture. The story moves slowly in volume 1 and I found myself a bit bored (except for the Korean culture angle, which was relatively new to me.) The art seemed inconsistent and the dialogue (or rather the translation) a bit unnatural though.
Kagama-the Literaturevixen
Its very unusual. Art is more realistic than pretty. And the dokebis are no bishounen (korean equivalent anyone?)
Kate
Oct 02, 2011 Kate added it
Shelves: 2011
Wow some of this art is really bad. But I enjoyed learning about Korean shamanism.
Levi Leach
1.5 Stars - Not very interesting so far. May read the next book.
Lauryn Guerrieri
Lauryn Guerrieri marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Sage
Sage added it
May 16, 2014
Trisha Duncan
Trisha Duncan marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Bodea
Bodea marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Itssatchelle
Itssatchelle marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Hally
Hally marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Natsukki Lace
Natsukki Lace marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014
Ricardo Baptista
Ricardo Baptista marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014
BlueReader
BlueReader marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2014
Tynan
Tynan marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2014
Wana Amai
Wana Amai marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2013
Shakristal
Shakristal marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2013
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2013
Kona
Kona marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2013
Nox
Nox marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Dokebi Bride, Volume 2 Dokebi Bride, Volume 3 Dokebi Bride, Volume 4 Dokebi Bride, Volume 5 Dokebi Bride, Volume 6