Hurry Up and Slow Down. Layn Marlow

Hurry Up and Slow Down. Layn Marlow

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  144 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Hare is always raring to go. He races through the day while the ever-patient Tortoise does his best to keep up. Hare, it certainly seems to Tortoise, has boundless energy. So Tortoise has plans for when it is time for Hare to go to bed - a well-deserved rest with a cup of chamomile tea! And, for the first time in the day, it is Tortoise who is in a hurry. He reads speedily...more
Hardcover
Published August 7th 2008 by Holiday House (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Hurry Up and Slow Down. Layn Marlow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hurry Up and Slow Down. Layn Marlow

Erin
Hurry Up and Slow Down is about the main difference between hares and tortoises--hares hurry and tortoises are slow. They both do several things in their own way. In the end, hare wants tortoise to "hurry up and slow down!" because a bedtime story was going to be over too quickly for him.

Good for toddler and preschool storytimes.
Brandi
In this retelling of the classic Tortoise and Hare fable, Hare hurries through his day, the opposite of his friend Tortoise, but when it comes to reading his favorite bedtime story, Hare finally slows down. A cute picture book with good illustrations about impatience and patience.
Aleece
Hare likes to do everything fast while Turtle likes to do everything slow but in the end when Turtle wants to enjoy his tea at the end of the day he reads a story very fast in order to enjoy his tea. However, Hare does not like that and tells him to Hurry up and slow down! This is a cute story about how people who like to do things fast and others that like to do things slow can agree when it comes to something that they like.
Cresencia
Lindsay
Hurry Up and Slow Down is a very cute twist on the classic "tortoise and hare" story. In this book, Tortoise and Hare are friends who do things at a different pace, but, at the end of the story, slow and steady is best after all. I also LOVE the illustrations. Make sure you catch the snail, frog, mouse on almost every page. Some of the pages have a butterfly, bee, spider, and a ladybug, too.
Libby
Just about the time when I was getting bored by a cliche relationship between a speedy hare and a methodical turtle, the characters experienced an endearing reversal of perspectives. I love how this one encourages impatient readers to take their time with picture books both with small details in the illustrations and with the theme presented very clearly by the end of the story.
Tricia
While I really loved the illustrations and concept, this story (text) didn't grab me at all. Of course, Tortoise is slow and cautious while Hare is quick and impulsive. When bedtime comes, roles are reversed. Some folks will really enjoy this book...it would be a nice option for bedtime storytime or lapsit if you are feeling it more than I did!
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Adorable book that opens the world to two critters who enjoy doing the opposite. Hare wants to move from one activity to the next. Tortoise likes to take his time and savor each moment. It's isn't until evening when their roles are reversed. Tortoise wants to speed up and Hare wants to slow down. This is a perfect title to read aloud with others.
Maggie KutsBorg
Not the best, not the worst. I think this would be better as a lapsit or bedtime story than reading it with a group. When turtle stretches in the book, we took a break for turtle stretches - that was fun. But by the end of the book I'd lost most of my listeners.
Liza Gilbert
I don't really have strong feelings about this book, but the illustrations are lovely. The story is a little on the weak side, but the illustrations are cute and pull the reader's attention into the story. The tortoise trying to drink chamomile tea is a nice picture.
Jennifer Oaks
Dec 17, 2011 Jennifer Oaks added it
Shelves: animals
I thought that it was interesting to see the contrast between the tortoise and the hare. The tortoise is slow and the hare wants him to always keep up with him. However, when it comes to reading a book, he wants the tortoise to read slowly.
Edna
A new look at the Hare and Tortoise fable with an even better way of presenting the differences between 2 personalities and more importantly, when slowing down in certain circumstances, may be the best choice. Nice illustrations.
Katie Lee
This is a good book for beginners. the story is about a rabbit and a turtle who are very different but they bond over books. There are great illustrations and the story itself is very repetitive which is great for young readers.
April
This is a cute little picture book about friends and their differences. The little rabbit wants to do things fast and of course friend turtle does them slow but they both agree in the end that reading shouldn't be rushed. Cute!
dee
Feb 22, 2011 dee rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hurry up and waiters
This a cute book with a lesson for everyone living in this crazy, fast-paced, microwaved, hurry-up and wait world. Who better to share this lesson with us than the tortoise and the hare? The title really says it all.
Katrina
Apr 30, 2009 Katrina rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Good Bedtime Read
Shelves: picture-books
A great story about two friends who are very different. Rabbit who always wants to move on and turtle who sits and considers and thinks about things. This is great to show how opposites are great together. Ages 3+
Jen
This was my favorite book at Storytime this week. The turtle and the hare do everything opposite. This is great also to plug reading as the hare decides that's the only thing worth slowing down for. Lovely pictures.
Molly
Susan
Literacy skills:
Print Motivation-this is a book about loving reading! Children will love that the characters in the book are explaining how they are different, but still both love to read.
Sam Bloom
Cute book story about friends Tortoise and Hare and the different ways they live. Obviously Tortoise is careful and Hare is hasty. It didn't impress me too much, but it should be a popular title.
Megan
Although the cover may lead you to believe this is the fable of the tortoise and the hare, it is actually a comparison of the two animals' styles and finding they have something in common.
Christine
A good book to use with Kindergarten students. Not only helps them learn opposites, but also to celebrate the differences of each other.
Julee
I loved this sweet little story especially since a love of reading played an important role. I look forward to sharing with students.
Cute book, although it didn't quite click as a read-aloud. Might be best for an older child who could read it independently.
Tiffany
This is one of the cutest picture books I've read in a long time! And hare really sums up the best reading philosophy out there!
Beck
I liked the illustrations and the characterization of the tortoise as not so much slow as deliberate. Nice reversal at the end.
Rachel
Engaging illustrations. Predictable, unimaginative storyline but sweet characters. Cute little flip-flop at the end.
Ane
Absolutely adorable drawings. I liked the story and wouldn't mind reading this book several times a day if asked to.
Denise
This is a great story about friendship with a subtle lesson in patience. Good for preschool storytime.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Bear Feels Scared
  • Tweak Tweak
  • Roly Poly Pangolin
  • Russell and the Lost Treasure
You Make Me Smile The Witch with a Twitch Depressa e devagar Little By Little Bug  and Bear