Start by marking “The Ultra Mind Solution: Automatically Boost Your Brain Power, Improve Your Mood and Optimize Your Memory” as Want to Read:

3.95  ·  Rating Details ·  1,465 Ratings  ·  169 Reviews
A hidden epidemic races around the globe -- we can't see it or touch it, which makes it so dangerous. The invisible epidemic has led to the suffering of millions who spend billions on drugs, only to find they don't work. This is an epidemic of broken brains.

"Broken brains" go by many names -- depression, anxiety, memory loss, brain fog, attention deficit disorder, autism,

Published December 30th 2008 by Scribner (first published December 30th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Ultra Mind Solution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ultra Mind Solution

Skylar Burris
As I read “The Ultra-mind Solution,” I was continuously reminded of a joke a friend and I used to tell in the 80’s anytime a certain commercial for a Home Remedy book would come on television: “Have cancer? Try a banana!” Only in this author’s case, it’s more like “Have autism? Try a glutten-free diet in combination with eliminating all sugar and caffeine and all food additives, and don’t get within two feet of mercury!”

I almost hate to give this book such a low rating, because there is a great
Skylar Burris
Sep 08, 2010 Skylar Burris rated it did not like it
Shelves: health
This is a one-star review, so right away you know it’s going to be very, very long. If I were giving a five star review, I would of course limit my comments to one or two paragraphs.

thewestchestarian
May 19, 2010 thewestchestarian rated it did not like it
Better brain bull****. Instead of a critique, I present a rough synopsis. Your brain is busted!!!!! You are having trouble reading this review not because it is semi-articulate tripe but because your brain is buss’d!!!! You have stopped paying attention to this review and are thinking about your genitals not because it is a semi-coherent rant but because YOU BRAIN IS BUSS’D!!!!

How do you get your brain to work? Simply avoid the following: sea bass, football, white wine, prescription drugs, pla

Lionkhan-sama
May 14, 2014 Lionkhan-sama rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lionkhan-sama by: Marcel
I cannot put into words how incredible this book is.
I plan on buying a copy for every single person I care about in life.

You can't not know this stuff. It's essential to every single person alive.
It's information that has been hidden from the majority for far too long.

Say goodbye to disease as we modernly know it!
Gina
Mar 27, 2009 Gina rated it it was amazing
One of my guiding principles has always been: Never read a book that has the word "ultra" in the title.

However, interesting perspectives on diet & health intrigue me, & when I saw endorsements from such respected doctors as Dean Ornish, Christiane Northrup & Mehmet Oz, I decided to break my rule and plunge into The UltraMind Solution.

I'm glad I did, for this book is an engaging read that's full of cutting edge science & practical advice. Dr. Mark Hyman has been on a mission to
Robertderryck
Jan 20, 2010 Robertderryck rated it really liked it
Despite its hyperbolic title, this is one of best medical resource books I've found for dealing with chronic ailments. Having suffered for a number of years from chronic problems that conventional doctors have been incapable of explaining (something that unfortunately is occurring more and more frequently in our modern society), I'm heartened by the extensive information and recommendations provided by Dr. Hyman. The focus of the book is on what has, until recently, been unfortunately completely ...more
Erica
Jan 08, 2009 Erica rated it really liked it
For anyone who is battling with a child with autism, This book seems like it can be a benefit for you to read. There are suggestions on what you can do to help and possibly reverse autism. It is helpful for those of us that want to prevent any health issues or just to be healthier. The book gets you thinking about how our society is slowly killing us. It took me a while to get through this one. At times it was very dry reading, but I stuck with it and it gave me some things to consider. I might ...more
Stephen
Jan 20, 2009 Stephen rated it really liked it
The book is very controversial, so Dr. Hyman is either a genius or a nut job, I am leaning toward genius.

Just finished it, and it has given me a lot of great information and ideas. Definitely worth a 6-week trial to see if these techniques work as well as predicted (most topics I have heard for years, just never had the motivation to execute on them).
Judith
Jul 14, 2009 Judith rated it did not like it
Eat right, exercise, get the appropriate amount of sleep, eliminate caffeine, alcohol, sugar, white flour, gluten and hydrogenated fats from your diet. . . . stop me if you've heard this one before.
Desinka
Feb 10, 2016 Desinka rated it really liked it
A very up-to-the-point, solution oriented book. I've read a couple of others on the subject an this one impressed me with offering clear explanations, easy action steps and an overall sense of achievability:)

I listened to this and I liked the author's narration.
Michelle
May 06, 2010 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: wishlist
Finally! A book that tells you WHY your body doesn't need white flour, suger and dairy; and how much it DOES need fruits, veggies, whole grains, fish oil and vitamins--and what happens when you do or don't take them. A very fascinating read, and one I want to have as a reference book.
Shellie (Layers of Thought)
This book was basically interesting in a challenging sort of way. It describes a diet/way of life/vitamin program that essentially cleanses the system of toxins and helps with brain chemical imbalances. Hyman also describes many of the chemical processes which occur in the brain as a result of normal/healthy/unhealthy eating and living practices. These process are desribed in "laymans" terms, but are difficult to follow. I skipped through most of these described process even though I have a very ...more
Christine
Apr 06, 2009 Christine rated it it was amazing
A great book discussing what everyday eating habits can do for or against your overall health. I learned a LOT, and I come from a family of health care workers.

Even if you choose not to go for the full plan, making the overall changes suggested will help you feel much better. My husband and I have been sleeping better, not crashing at the end of the day, and seen other improvements in our health (not "major" things, since doctors would already say we were healthy, but small changes, such as redu
Saadia
Jan 15, 2009 Saadia rated it it was amazing
Dr. Hyman uses the latest scientific discoveries to re-affirm the influence of environmental toxins and the food we eat on our health. He specifically details the direct pathways affecting our health at the cellular level in the nervous, digestive and immune system. It can be frightening to some but ultimately at the end of the book, one understands that health is at one's fingertips, i.e. self-care, and Dr. Hyman gives the 6 week program to cleanse and detoxify one's body. Of course, I already ...more
Barbara
Apr 08, 2009 Barbara rated it it was amazing
A terrific book for anyone with allergies, food issues, etc. I read it in one sitting, which is unusual for a book like this. We started following advice and so far I have lost 18 pounds, my husband has lost 12, taking the supplements, avoiding certain foods, etc. We feel like different people. Or at least the same people in different bodies. I highly recommend it for anyone who is interested in an alternative to Big Pharmas, etc.
Aug 01, 2014 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The strategies and principles in this book work! Since incorporating them a year ago, I have lost 15 pounds and my complexion is clearer. I plan to continue a gluten-free and dairy-free lifestyle and limit my sugars and grains indefinitely.
Alex Murygin
Apr 07, 2011 Alex Murygin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't recommend this book now as i haven't finished the program mentioned in this book. But I've started and looks like it's kind of fantastic. I'll update status as only i finish the program.
I think this will be interesting for everybody who'd like to live healthy life )
Paula
Jun 26, 2012 Paula rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club-books
Three weeks on my way to UltraWellness and I'm seeing noticeable improvements in my brain power and mood. Maybe I will have more to say in another three weeks.
Mallory
The Ultra Mind solution is a good companion to read AFTER Ultraprevention (by the same author). There is some repition, but they are good points and so making them stick would be beneficial. Dr. Hyman does explain and define his terms used in both books very well in ultraprevention, and so if you do read that one first you would go into ultra mind with a better understanding. While ultraprevention focused on getting healthy in order to live a disease free life, ultra mind of course focused on ge ...more
Owen Spencer
Oct 06, 2009 Owen Spencer rated it really liked it
The UltraMind Solution is a highly informative book about osteopathic/holistic/alternative medicine. It includes excellent information and advice that, if applied, may result in dramatic improvements to one's overall health and well-being. This book was recommended to me by one of the top physicians in Lubbock Texas. My only complaint is related to the author's writing style. He mixes science with hype. The scientific findings that are reported are excellent, but there is also a lot of exaggerat ...more
Zulu Adams
Nov 11, 2012 Zulu Adams rated it liked it
The information contained within the book is both excellent and fascinating, and I would encourage everybody to read it if it were not for the repetitive style and self-promotion contained within. It does feel as if the book easily could've been half the length.

A wary reader will find plenty to chew on though. I've experimented with a lot of the advice and must admit I feel MUCH better for it.

The companion pdf guide to the book is freely available from Hyman's website and I'd recommend potentia
Patricia Mauerhofer
Jan 17, 2016 Patricia Mauerhofer rated it really liked it
Excellent book of the interconnection between bodily processes and mental wellbeing and what each and every of us can actually do to enhance her/his health. The biochemical, genetic and metabolic processes are explained in an easy to follow way and are illustrated with many success stories.
The best part of the book is a very concrete 7 weeks action plan to overcome illnesses and enhance mind-body functioning. Why only 4 stars? Certain aspects are repeated too many times for my taste and the one
Selena
Feb 09, 2009 Selena rated it really liked it
This is a very thought provoking book, especially for a therapist. I'll never look at a client's issues without first thinking of their eating and other lifestyle behaviors.

I gave it four stars because the author tends to repeat himself quite a bit. The book could have been shortened by about 1/3 and still you'd get all the information you need. His passion for the topic makes him seem a bit preachy at times.
David
Aug 31, 2016 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My diet is terrible. I eat out at restaurants all the time. The rest of the time I order take out. No fruit. Not a lot of vegetables. I drink lots and lots of Coke. I trained for and ran a marathon but afterwards my brain still felt foggy and my body felt weak.

So I decided to start learning about nutrition and this is book #1. It has scared the shit out of me.
Spinning Jenny BB
I'm throwing in the towel. There may be some good info in here but not enough to keep my interest, and I feel like following my instincts will work just as fine!
Ugur Ege
Mar 11, 2017 Ugur Ege rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommended for people who think they have any brain disease or feel somehow things are not right in their way of thinking, and health.
You may have many "aha" moments while reading Mark Hyman's book. He gives details about why today's medicine can not solve problems although billions of dollars is spent.
Read slowly and you will have crucial information for your brain health.
However implementation seems far more important what Mark advices more than what you read. It can be challgenging
Lela
May 07, 2017 Lela rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
So much good information in this book that you need to read it twice!! You will not regret spending the time to read this book and absorbing all the information that will improve you health.
Tyler
Feb 15, 2017 Tyler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cool insight to the body, something that everyone has. A bit repetitive at times, but drove the important points across. Supplementation, allergen elimination, etc.
Whitney
Mar 21, 2017 Whitney rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It has promise since it was written by Harvard neuroscientists and started out really interesting but quickly morphed into an infomercial for a "6 week plan " which was described in less than two pages of basic common sense material like, eat good food- don't eat bad good and take some supplements. I wouldn't recommend.
Norena McMeel
Feb 27, 2017 Norena McMeel rated it liked it
really focused on diet and
supplements. some good information, requires serious change in lifestyle.
http://maleenhancementshop.info/ultra-boost-force/ 1 1 Apr 12, 2017 11:51PM
Adderin Benefits Of Omega3 Fish Oil Supplements 1 2 Sep 29, 2015 11:07PM
Newt gingrich's near me engaging me great 1 1 Feb 24, 2015 10:10PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: The Ultra Mind Solution 1 3 May 30, 2013 02:26PM
  • The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth: The Surprising, Unbiased Truth About What You Should Eat and Why
  • Magnificent Mind at Any Age: Natural Ways to Unleash Your Brain's Maximum Potential
  • Healthy at 100: The Scientifically Proven Secrets of the World's Healthiest and Longest-Lived Peoples
  • Integrative Nutrition: Feed Your Hunger for Health and Happiness
  • The Spectrum: A Scientifically Proven Program to Feel Better, Live Longer, Lose Weight, and Gain Health
  • Staying Healthy with Nutrition, rev: The Complete Guide to Diet and Nutritional Medicine
  • Life Without Bread: How a Low-Carbohydrate Diet Can Save Your Life
  • The Body Ecology Diet: Recovering Your Health and Rebuilding Your Immunity
  • Quantum Wellness Cleanse: The 21-Day Essential Guide to Healing Your Mind, Body and Spirit
  • The Metabolic Typing Diet: Customize Your Diet To: Free Yourself from Food Cravings: Achieve Your Ideal Weight; Enjoy High Energy and Robust Health; Prevent and Reverse Disease
  • Health and Nutrition Secrets That Can Save Your Life
  • Keto-Adapted
  • Herbal Antibiotics: Natural Alternatives for Treating Drug Resistant Bacteria (Storey Medicinal Herb Guide)
  • Zapped: Why Your Cell Phone Shouldn't Be Your Alarm Clock and 1,268 Ways to Outsmart the Hazards of Electronic Pollution
  • Suicide by Sugar: A Startling Look at Our #1 National Addiction
  • Sugar Shock!: How Sweets and Simple Carbs Can Derail Your Life--and How You Can Get Back on Track
  • Iodine : Why You Need It, Why You Can't Live Without It
  • Celiac Disease: A Hidden Epidemic
Mark Hyman, M.D., is the editor in chief of Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine, the most prestigious journal in the field of integrative medicine. After ten years as co-medical director at Canyon Ranch in the Berkshires, he is now in private practice in Lenox, Massachusetts. He is the coauthor of the New York Times bestseller Ultraprevention. His websites are www.drhyman.com and www.ultr ...more
More about Mark Hyman...

“We all have different needs for food, vitamins, rest, exercise, stress tolerance, or ability to handle toxins.” 1 likes