Start by marking “ABC3D” as Want to Read:

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  366 ratings  ·  65 reviews
"Easily the most innovative alpabet book of the year, if not the decade... Beyond clever."—The Washington Post

Prepare to be amazed. From the lenticular cover that changes with the angle of your hands all the way to the Z, ABC3D is as much a work of art as it is a pop-up book. Each of the 26 three-dimensional letters move and change before your eyes. C turns into D with a s
Published October 14th 2008 by Roaring Brook Press (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about ABC3D, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about ABC3D

Bobby
One of the most original and creative books I've ever come across...I had to buy this one for my own collection! As the title implies, this is a book of alphabet and all of the letters are three-dimensional. However, it's not just simply a book of 26-pages, each with a letter. One of the amazing aspects of the book is the various ways in which some letters morph into others. Very impressive overall. The only potential downside is that I would be worried that little kids, who are still learning t ...more
Gregory Baird
Oct 12, 2008 Gregory Baird rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Robert Sabuda enthusiasts with a delicate touch
This book looks absolutely amazing if you watch the preview that is running online for it. I had high hopes that it would be this years "Gallop" (an interesting, inexpensive gift-ish book high on visual flair), but I was pretty disappointed when it arrived in the bookstore I work in. Some of the pop-ups are unexpectedly fussy and fragile. A couple of pages even have difficulty closing without crushing the pop-up once you have opened it, meaning that our display copy was trashed within an hour of ...more
Colleen Venable
Thanks to this book I might have a future career as a hand model!* Yay internet strangers! You made my day/week/month! I made it a rule that I'll never say how AWESOME I may think any RB books are on here (since I'm biased cause they pay for my rent and Chipotle addiction), so I won't say how AWESOME I think this book in particular is. Nope. I won't say it.

(*the video I made showing off the book which went CRAZY-viral on youtube...150,000 views in four days and it hit #12 overall on Amazon with
Monica Edinger
I got to see a prototype (at least I think that is what it was) of this book and it is very, very cool. The book trailer gives you a pretty good of it.
Marie
Pamela ☼what?!? you want more gruel☼ Tee
This is a really cool Alphabet pop-up book! The cover is one of those optical plates (sort of holographic), where what you see changes depending on your angle of approach. [Kids of all ages love this type of stuff]

The pop-ups too are pretty clever, and are not restricted to one every two pages. "C" becomes "D" , for example, when the C flops over and a previously hidden vertical bar becomes the upright part of the "D". Similarly, pulling the page taunt, turns E into an F. And O and P have a spec
J. Argyl
Jan 24, 2010 J. Argyl rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes neat things
I first saw this book demonstrated on a YouTube video a year or more before it came out. Although I obsessively checked to see if it had been released yet I eventually forgot about it. Then one day last fall I was poking through a bookstore and noticed it sitting there on the shelf. I quickly picked it up and purchased it on the spot. Then I went straight to a nearby park and opened it up and checked it out.

My first impression was that there was far too much packing paper involved. It seemed lik
Destiny
I thought it was so interesting but the problem I have is that the perspective changes halfway through and you go from looking straight at the book and the. You have to level the book flat to see and back and forth randomly. For personal read it's fine but I just would have like to see them in the same position. I did love how some were multiple letters depending on how open the page is. It's a very intricate book.
Stephanie
I thought this book was super cool!!! I loved the 3D art. It made me want to look at it again. I really liked the colors and how each letter moved in the book. I think this book would be really good for anyone....young or older! I think it also can help children learn the letters because the letters move in the book and that could help a child learn the letters.
Catie
Mar 17, 2014 Catie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: march
ABC 3D is a awesome book. I love how the letters are 3d and can change into different letters in unique ways. I think students will be intrigued with this book and fight over it in a classroom because it is so fun to look at. Overall, I loved this book and the unique designs inside.
Robert Beveridge
Marion Bataille, ABC3D (Roaring Brook Press, 2008)

I will say right up front (which is a silly thing to start off a one-paragraph review with, but there you go) that I ended up very reluctantly taking points off this delightful little tome because of its fragility; it's a book you're going to want to enjoy a great deal, but you'll be forced to keep it on the shelf rather than on the coffee table if you want it to last any length of time at all. But the pop-ups, transparencies, slidy bits, etc. ar
Kristen Collins
Very cool, but kind of confusing if you're actually trying to learn the alphabet. This might be one for an art classroom rather than my classroom.
Jenna
Aaaah, Marion Bataille, je t'aime! This book is gorgeous, intelligent, deliciously designy. an art object as much as it is a book, it's a total interactive experience, as lame as that sounds. it's a pop-up book for grownups. Simple, primary colors combined with ingenious slides, popouts and volvelles. It forces you to hold it and turn it in your hands, flipping and turning it upside down, rotating the pages and craning your neck, discovering the clever little tricks and surprises.

probably not t
jess
Feb 03, 2009 jess rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009
I love pop-up books. There's nothing like material that springs to life as you turn each page. Fairy tales are brilliant told in pop-up form, but ABC3D turns the pop-up treatment on the alphabet. Each letter springs up, slides out, or flexes itself across the page. O become Q, you can thrum the delicate ribs of the U, or peek through the skeleton of the Z. This book is a little fragile to hand off to a child unsupervised, but the most extravagant pop-ups are all that way. It's a gorgeous, deligh ...more
Julianna
This pop-up book is really cool and nice for kids but i just don't see a whole lot that you can do with this book.
Robin
Imaginative design makes this a joy to read and share.
Meagan Pack
Very cool way to show the Abc's.
Heidi
Definitely a very neat, interesting, and clever creation. But not durable in the least. I have NO idea why this would have been bought for a library. We put fragile books like this in our Storytime collection, but I don't see how this could ever be used in a storytime like the others we have. I don't even see how a person could buy this and use it only a few times before crushing or manging some of its parts. Still, I cannot get over its thinking out of the box in its format as well as in some o ...more
Rebecca Belknap
This is a highly unusual pop up book. It is an artistic ABC book. I'd have a hard time letting a preschooler handle it since it is so elegant and fragile. I think it's almost a paper sculpture instead of a book to teach the alphabet. You can watch a video about it on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/ABC3D-Marion-Ba...
Elizabeth
ABC3D by Marion Bataille was one of the most detailed alphabet books I have ever read! As I read the book, I found myself fascinated by the design of the 3D letters. Some letters transformed to the next letter on the same page by the way the reader turns the pages. This would be a very fun book to use when helping early readers remember the alphabet.
Lucius
There are no words to this book, just letters. But the way the letters are constructed are amazing. This book is a delight for adults and children. You'll walk away saying, "Wasn't U great?" or, "Q and R took my breath away!" Every child learning to read and write should be exposed to the artistry that is within this book.
Ashley
BEST ABC book every. It is both a ABC book and a Pop-up book all in one. i am 19 years old and i am asking for a copy of this book for Christmas for my personal collection. their is not one thing in this book that i would say is boring or disappointing, every page presents a new letter and a mind blowing design.
Justin
Wow! Who would have thought that the alphabet in 3D could be so rad! This book was well thought out and very clever.
Kyle Weener
This was an AWESOME pop-up book! I think the book really made the letters come alive and become some bigger than what they actually were. I think the book also did a great job of creating a marriage between the text and the illustrations. This would be a good one to have in one's classroom
Amber Cooper
Such a clever way to introduce the alphabet to children, especially in pre-k to younger elementary! This book would also be great to introduce geometric terms (2d-3d) planes..sides..etc. So the elementary grades can use this as well! (subject transitions are definitely an option!)
Peacegal
Wow. WOW. Such a simple concept, but the execution is flawless. It's as if the groovy animated alphabets from the "Sesame Street" of my childhood were captured and put into the form of a pop-up book.

I don't care how old you are, you need to see this book.

by Marion Bataille
Chastity Slabach
A creative and imaginative alphabet book! The different letter designs are genius, and make you actually WANT to turn the page just to see what the next letter will look like. Great book for sparking young children's interest in letters/words/reading.
Camille
Mar 12, 2009 Camille marked it as to-read
I've been salivating over this subtle but astonishingly lovely book for awhile now. C's not quite ready for it but she's getting there! I love how it 'describes' the mechanics of letters and letter-making in a very pure aesthetic language.
Linda
This is an amazing pop-up book of the alphabet. Some letters change into others the best one being V which changes into W with a mirrored image. Also make sure you check out the U - very intricate paper work. I love the engineering behind pop-ups!
Joy
I love this book. My grandchildren even love me to read it to them virtually but my four year old grandson calls it "the weird alphabet book". For a fun review go to http://xoxograndma.blogspot.com/2013/...
  • Big Frog Can't Fit In: A pop-up book
  • The Hidden Alphabet
  • Winter's Tale: Winter's Tale
  • Open the Barn Door, Find a Cow (A Chunky Book(R))
  • Charley Harper ABCs: Chunky Edition
  • Brava, Strega Nona!: A Heartwarming Pop-Up Book
  • Once Upon a Potty: Boy
  • This is San Francisco
  • Polkabats and Octopus Slacks: 14 Stories
  • You Never Heard of Willie Mays?!
  • Moon Man