It's Okay to Take a Nap and Other Reassuring Truths for Mothers Everywhere

It's Okay to Take a Nap and Other Reassuring Truths for Mothers Everywhere

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  36 reviews
A celebration of motherhood, It's Okay to Take a Nap illustrates the joys, struggles, and triumphs of being a mother. With reminders to moms of simple reassuring truths - like how you deserve a break and how you are a queen, not a maid - this book will strengthen and empower women while at the same time assuring them that their sacrifices to be a mother have not gone unnot...more
Published March 1st 2008 by Cedar Fort

Be the first to ask a question about It's Okay to Take a Nap and Other Reassuring Truths for Mothers Everywhere

Jenben8426
Nothing too earth shattering in this one, but rather a feel good book. This is a short little book on some "reassuring truths for mothers everywhere." The book is broken down into 13 small chapters with a little piece of advice along with some fleshing out of that topic. Chapters range from "It's Okay to take a nap" to "You are a queen not a maid." Very refreshing. I also appreciated that Woods reached out to a broader audience than just LDS women without watering anything down, but being just a...more
Angelyn
This is another great mothering book from Debra. She is delightful to read and very wise. I would think this book would be especially helpful to young mothers who think they need to do it all and right now. I know that I was definately like that early on and it has taken me years to figure out that I can actually do it all just maybe not before I take a well needed nap as Debra says, and not before I have prioritized well. Debra's book helps with this and the notion that you must take good care...more
Kristen
I really liked this book. Some motherhood books make you feel really inadequate if you aren't the perfect mother. This one makes you feel good about yourself with the job you're doing right now. My favorite chapter was chapter 2: "I don't have to do it all right now". It's a quick, easy read that I really enjoyed.
Diana
A Lemonade book. Simple, sweet & refreshing. And short! I want to carry a copy of this book around in my back pocket to remind me that its okay to be kind to myself. I need to be more realistic about what I can do and what I can't do. I recommend this book to all my mommy-friends.
Megan
Funny at times, philosophical at others, this book offers encouragement for mothers.

I learned that there is no way to be a perfect mother but a million ways to be a good one. The author encourages mothers to focus on the things they love. So, the mother that loves to cook, the mother that loves art, and the mother that loves to read are all going to nurture their children in their own individual way by sharing what they love with their children.

At the end of each chapter, there are suggestions...more
Kaylynn Johnsen
Any book that says "For starters, go ahead and throw out any comparisons you make between what you and other mothers seem able to get done in their lives. You don't what their behind-the-scenes situations might be like-their financial means, the things that don't get done, the support and help they have that you might not have, the price they pay elsewhere in their lives to get so much done, and so on-so it's completely unfair to make comparisons. Give yourself a gift and let go of those compari...more
Lyn
Jul 23, 2009 Lyn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: adult
This book was written for typical L.D.S. women working or not, married or not, with or without children. I appreciate that it reaches out to a broad audience as we don't all fit exactly the same mold. It wasn't ground-breaking, but it was quick and easy, and there was a lot of practical, useful solutions in this book. I will be implementing some suggestions and trying to go a little easier on myself. And I'll be keeping this book on my shelf.
*Christie*
This was a sweet book with tips on how to be a better mom. I feel like it's a book I didn't really need and when I think why I didn't need it I realize that it's because I have great girlfriends. I have friends who I love. We discuss motherhood in detail and are very supportive of one another in all aspects of motherhood. I'm so thankful for them.
Ashton
This was cute - I liked it. It's very positive and productive. I don't have kids yet (6 months!) but I think this advice applies to family life in general whether it's just you, or you and your spouse. Fun to read. Easy to read - divided up into short chapters, and doesn't have to be read all in order or all at the same time.
Jill
Apr 10, 2008 Jill rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mothers
This was a quick, easy read. It gave some practical and much needed advice for all mothers in a very humorous way. I especially appreciated the "Invitations & Inspirations" section she had at the end of each chapter that gave suggestion for implementing the key points from the chapter into your life.
Liz
This is one of the best "mom" books out there. It taught me to not stress about things I'm not doing and maybe to appreciate the moments that I have to enjoy life with my kids. I loved her book recommendations along with the book and have had a lot of fun reading her recommended books.
Kirsten
This tiny book took me FOREVER to read... after picking it up and putting it down sooooo many times....

It is a sweet little book, with great ideas for moms, and had some fun challenges at the end of each chapter.....

It felt a little like reading a good friends blog.
Page Ryan
loved it. "It's OK to take a nap" is the perfect title. Some times us mothers really do just need to take a break, and take it without guilt. This book helps you learn that its OK to take care of your needs, as well as your children.
Amelia
I loved the book setup. They are short chapters, and at the end of each are "Invitations and Inspirations": a quote, books she recommends for the topic at hand, and suggestions of her own. I got a lot from this little book! Loved it!
Amber
Found this little jewel at Women's Conference. It is small and short, but some great stuff about going easier on yourself to enjoy motherhood better. Feeling discouraged/anxious/overwhelmed about being a mommy? This has some good stuff.
Tiffany
I wasn't as drawn into this book as I have been to others like it. I didn't feel like it pushed me to be better...more accepted where I was. It was a great warm fuzzies book, and an easy, quick read.
Ann
I am not a big fan of "mom advice " books, they just agravate me too much. But this one was very down-to-earth, practical and one I really benefitted from reading. I highly recommend it to any mom.
Kiara
Debra gives some GREAT tips that I think all mothers should consider. I love that she's so positive but doesn't cloud the difficulty of being a mother. I would definitely recommend this one!
Melissa
Loved it! No matter what kind of a mom you are this is great. I love that it repeats over and over not to compare yourself with any other mom. Do you best and don't burn yourself out.
Nicolle
This is a good little book of information as moms I think we know but sometimes you just need to hear it again. She also had good suggestions to help make life easier sometimes.
Sally Hanson
I was pleased to see that this author came out with another book. It has all kinds of things that i can really relate to in my mothering life. It was a fun read.
Lauri
Encouragement for moms to take care of themselves, not for selfish reasons, but so that they can better take care of their families. Quick read - less than 100 pages.
Shiloah
Such a sweet, feel good book with an important reminder to take care of ourselves. I needed the reminder right now as a mom of 9, the youngest being an infant.
Chrystal
Feb 03, 2011 Chrystal rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Chrystal by: Becky Andrews
Every mother would benefit from this gentle, encouraging book with wonderful references and tips to finding joy in motherhood and learning self-care.
Lindy
Not really anything new, but it was a very reassuring book when I was going through the stressful transition to having 2 kids.
Kelsey
A great, quick little read. Several tidbits that I will take with me from this book. Down-to-earth and relevant.
Colleen
It's been a while since I finished reading this book so I can't remember details but I remember liking it.
Melanie
Sep 16, 2008 Melanie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mothers
Recommended to Melanie by: Liz
Shelves: motherhood
I love this book. As a guilt-ridden mom of four, this book gave me permission to treat myself right.
Kristin
Got this book for my birthday. It was a quick read with lots of little "gems". Not TOO "Deseret bookish"!
Becky
Helped me feel like a better mom and it's okay to feel and do some small things for yourself.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Mothering with Spiritual Power: Book of Mormon Inspirations for Raising a Righteous Family