Start by marking “Foundations Triumph” as Want to Read:
Foundations Triumph

Foundations Triumph (Second Foundation Trilogy #3)

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  8,306 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
With the approval of Isaac Asimov's estate, three of today's most acclaimed authors have completed his unfinished epic, The Second Foundation Trilogy. In this final volume by Brin, Seldon is about to escape exile and risk everything for a final quest--a search for knowledge and the power it bestows. The fate of humankind is at stake.
Published June 1st 2000 by Turtleback Books (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Foundations Triumph, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Foundations Triumph

Ethan I. Solomon
Apr 06, 2012 Ethan I. Solomon rated it it was ok
I think that giving two stars to any of the books from this trilogy is actually being very generous, and is mostly because of the names involved and thus the quality they brought to the books. Nevertheless the books are a complete failure despite being set in Asimov's universe. The authors attempted to bring some of Asimov's genius to the table but were unable to convey their ideas in the gloriously simple and direct fashion that Asimov could. As a result the entire trilogy is extremely convolut ...more
Jul 05, 2007 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Brin has some very interesting ideas in this book, but I think overall it's very poorly executed. He turns Daneel into a crazed megalomaniac and makes the robots responsible for the entire course of human history, and he attempts to explain Asimov's other books in terms of this robot theory, which is an interesting concept, but I think Asimov would be rolling in his grave. This was also just really difficult to get into, and confusing to try to keep track of who was on which side when, who was b ...more
Daniel McGill
By far the best of the "new foundation trilogy" but I do not recommend reading the series, the guy who wrote the fist book did so much damage to the story to the point of not even using Asimov's physics that between them even Brin and the guy who wrote the middle book couldn't undo it all. Only read if you're a fanatical completionist.
Henry Herz
Mar 12, 2014 Henry Herz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the third installment of a post-Asimov Foundation trilogy. Consider the honor bestowed on Dr. Brin - being entrusted with this revered sci-fi classic. And he delivers the goods. He expands upon the Foundation universe in seamless fashion - I could easily have believed this was a newly discovered Asimov manuscript. The writing is smart and heartfelt. I found myself moved by the relationship between Hari and Dors. And I shared the characters' frustration when enormous archives of knowledge ...more
Colleen
Brin's a good writer and I really liked Asimov's Foundation Trilogy when I read it in college, but I didn't particularly like this extension of the original. I guess utopias have lost their appeal. I didn't realize how devoid of action the original foundation books were. And this book was mostly conversations and theory. The omnicient computers run the universe and humans just have to follow their dictates. They've determined that some humans must be eliminated for the majority to be happy. Not ...more
Jeremiah Johnson
This book was better than the previous two in this trilogy, but that isn't saying much.
Brin's writing is far superior to the other two authors, but I still couldn't get into the story. To his credit, they didn't leave him anything good to work with.
I am very torn over the notion that the robots were in charge of everything that happened throughout the Empire's history. While it makes sense and is believable, it doesn't seem like it is true to what Asimov's vision for the universe was.
The charact
John Derderian
This was the best of the 3B trilogy, and the only one that felt at all in the spirit of Asimov's originals. You probably have to read the other two to really appreciate this one, and I can't really recommend that.
Jen
May 24, 2014 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is it! I have finished my Asimov Foundation challenge. It only took me two years!

Foundation's Triumph picked up right where Foundation and Chaos left off. Hari Seldon isn't yet dead, though he really ought to be at this point. Hari doesn't have any real strategic plot importance other than to bear witness to the actual planning that would be/is revealed later-in-time-but-earlier-in-series-reading-order in Foundation and Earth. Since you are supposed to have read that novel first, it should
Lis Carey
Jan 12, 2011 Lis Carey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: f-sf
Phil Giunta
Mar 18, 2011 Phil Giunta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Isaac Asimov's classic Foundation series comes to a conclusion in a trilogy of novels each written by different noted SF authors. David Brin adequately delivers the final entry, Foundation's Triumph, with similar pacing and style as Greg Bear's Foundation and Chaos. Like Bear, Brin minimizes story elements introduced in Gregory Benford's opening book, Foundation's Fear. I was grateful for that, since Benford's 600 page sleeper was a disappointment and could have been trimmed by half.

I described
Brian
Aug 24, 2012 Brian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When a favourite author writes in a favourite universe, you hope the results will be awesome. Unfortunately it was just "meh". Asimov's Hari Seldon molded the future of the galaxy and mankind as he knew it into his own vision of perfection. Brin's Seldon refuses to do the same. The situations, backgrounds and major players keep setting up to be special and repeatedly fall short.
Don't get me wrong, Brin doesn't slight Asimov's work, he just takes it in a direction that doesn't work for me. Maybe
Rob
Aug 05, 2015 Rob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best of the Second Foundation Trilogy, picking up a number of the threads - or, as a prequel, putting them in place - that Asimov deployed in the original trilogy and the follow-up books; and, I'd have thought, pretty in line with the way Asimov developed the series after the first trilogy.
Thomas
Roddy Williams
‘As for me, I am finished.’

With these words, a frail, dying Hari Seldon completes his life’s work. The old man has just recorded messages for the Time Vault of the First Foundation. And psychohistory’s Seldon Plan is unleashed, propelled by the ponderous momentum of destiny.
Younger hands will now take up the task.

But Seldon knows that neither the First nor the Second Foundation will provide ultimate solutions. The Seldon Plan has three possible outcomes. None of them fills him with joy but he
manuti
Oct 23, 2011 manuti rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Y fin a esta trilogía de la lista de libros de 2008 – 2009. Después de los dos anteriores ([1] y [2]), creo que este es el peor. Ahonda en la novela barata de ciencia ficción y en los embrollos de los robots y su inevitable necesidad de proteger a los humanos. Así que se queda con 1 sola estrella.

Como conclusión de esta nueva trilogía, solo decir que en general es entretenida, que para los seguidores de Asimov y de las novelas del ciclo de la Fundación puede ser un añadido interesante, pero que

Gabriel
Solo he podido leer fundación y caos que a pesar de ser una buena novela me causo todo un shock en cuanto a ser una continuación de la saga creado por Isac Asimov, sensasión muy diferente a la que causa esta tercera entrega, realmente el estilo incluso es muy parecido al del finado maestro Asimov, retoma cuestiones de estilo como el hecho de citar a la enciclopedia galactica que nos remiten a las primera trilogia de la fundación, y sobre todos para aquellos fanaticos como un servidor de el cread ...more
Guillermojimenezespneo
Digamos que en la galaxia de la Fundación no cualquiera participa. La tercera novela de la segunda trilogía de la Fundación es la más débil de las tres. No he leído algo previo de Brin, así que no sé que tan imaginativo sea, pero esta novela es una especie de cierre débil de una de las grandes series de SF. Asimov fue una de mis obsesiones por algún tiempo y he leído hasta sus relatos históricos. Esta novela deja cabos sueltos y las explicaciones de los sucesos (una galaxia exclusivamente humana ...more
Peter Nys
Oct 31, 2015 Peter Nys rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know if I should call this a good book. For that it contains too many caricatures (the grey man constantly popping pills etc.) and deus ex machina plot twists, certainly towards the over the top finale. But I enjoyed it! Furthermore it explains a lot of what happens chronologically later in the original Asimov novels.
Michael
Jul 05, 2008 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the Foundation books; David Brin fans
I spotted this in our local used bookstore as I was looking for new books by David Brin. "He's written a Foundation novel???" Hmmm.... I like Isaac Asimov, and I like David Brin. Let's give 'er a try!

I was not disappointed. Brin's writing was crisp and a pleasure to read. I did not read these three books of the Second Foundation Trilogy in order, and I'm glad I did not. For readers of Asimov's Foundation books, these books fill in some gaps in the story in the years leading up to Hari Seldon's d
Rachel
May 05, 2014 Rachel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
I had a lot of problems with this book. Instead of building upon the first two books, it's like David Brin said, "Oh my gosh! I have to use everything Asimov has ever written to prove I've read his books!" There were so many story details and lines that were utterly irrelevant. It was really, really poorly done. Thanks to Brin, I think I understand Asimov's Foundation universe less than when I began! A massive disappointment.

On a side note, I was really troubled by his regular use of the phrase,
Jeff Crosby
It has been over a decade since I read the first two volumes of this new Foundation trilogy. I liked Foundation's Fear by Gregory Benford, but I disliked Greg Bear's Foundation and Chaos. So, I never picked up this final volume until now. I'm glad it finally caught my attention. The opening chapters draw together the threads from the first two novels, setting up an interesting premise. The first two thirds of the book are very engaging, but it gets lost as we reveal conspiracy after conspiracy-- ...more
Kip
May 09, 2008 Kip rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Got these three (Second Foundation Trilogy) from a friend. Been a long time since I read the Foundation or robot stories from Asimov, so I was eager to jump back into the story.

All three authors did a good job remaining true to the original timelines, major events and characters. That said, you could tell this was sort of filler. Should have expected that, right?

Has motivated me to go back and read some of the robot stories again -- lots of robot activity in all three of these.

* Couldn't finish
Zoltán
Sep 08, 2013 Zoltán rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Az ún. „Második Alapítvány-trilógia” befejező kötetével David Brin nehéz feladatra vállalkozott: egyrészt kerek egésszé kellett formálnia a sorozat korábbi könyvein átívelő történetet, másrészt meg kellett teremteni azokat a szinapszisokat, melyeken keresztül a második trilógia nemcsak beilleszthetővé válik Asimov robot- és Alapítvány-univerzumába, de egyszersmind sikerrel fedi el a klasszikus asimovi eseményfolyam hiányait és repedéseit. Innen szemlélve, David Brin nemcsak hogy „hozta a kötelez ...more
Lee Belbin
Nov 30, 2014 Lee Belbin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A very laboured rendition of Asimov's foundation. Badly written. Plot poorly developed. Details of psychohistory beyond boring after a while.
Pete Lambooy
Maybe better than the first two of this trilogy.....but still painful.
Paideia Sofista
[Fechas estimadas de lectura.]
Garrett
Sep 23, 2012 Garrett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I applaud Brin for closing this trilogy in Asimov's universe on a high-note. The other books left me a little disappointed, but this one felt closer to Asimov's tendencies and ideas. However, one of Asimov's failings is the lack of action, and this book also suffered from that a bit - too much time in meditation and talk and not enough action by the humans. Of course, perhaps that is part of the point being made. But I expected more from HAri, even if he is 90 years old ;-)
JP
May 18, 2013 JP rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This "second conclusion" was anti-climactic for me. The writing itself is great and nicely consistent with Asimov's style. However, I found the whole peace vs. free will thing a bit predictable and hence overly attended across three hundred pages. The characterization is nice, especially Dors and Trema. The afterward includes a timeline of all the works - tight, yet with plenty of unexplored topics and space as fodder for future works.
Jon
Feb 10, 2015 Jon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Of the new trilogy, the best effort at connecting to the rest of the universe, including the Empire novels. It gets a bit dense, particularly in the back half. Trying to cram in too much made it a bit less readable, and the ambitious level of retcon put me off. On the whole I'm glad to have read the new trilogy, but can't consider it canon, and now have the difficult task of holding things separate in my mind.
Szymon Myalski
Jun 18, 2015 Szymon Myalski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book gathers amazing collection of loosely connected threads from many Asimov's book, stitch them together and makes it all consistent and logical. It is a great achievement. David Brin finally made all Asimov's stories I know into one big and detailed history of over 20 000 years. And explained how difficult, demanding but also despotic was R. Daneel Olivaw's role in it.
Goodreads Librari...: Combine editions of Foundation's Triumph 2 16 Jun 13, 2013 04:16PM
  • Foundation's Fear (Second Foundation Trilogy, #1)
  • Foundation and Chaos (Second Foundation Trilogy, #2)
  • Foundation's Friends
  • Forward the Foundation (Foundation: Prequel, #2)
  • Utopia (Isaac Asimov's Caliban, #3)
  • The World at the End of Time
  • Odyssey (Isaac Asimov's Robot City, #1)
  • Cyborg (Isaac Asimov's Robot City, #3)
  • The Garden of Rama (Rama, #3)
David Brin is a scientist, speaker, and world-known author. His novels have been New York Times Bestsellers, winning multiple Hugo, Nebula and other awards. At least a dozen have been translated into more than twenty languages.

Existence, his latest novel, offers an unusual scenario for first contact. His ecological thriller, Earth, foreshadowed global warming, cyberwarfare and near-future trends
More about David Brin...

Second Foundation Trilogy (4 books)
  • Foundation's Fear (Second Foundation Trilogy, #1)
  • Foundation and Chaos (Second Foundation Trilogy, #2)
  • Le Second Cycle de Fondation