Start by marking “Cruel Intent (Ali Reynolds, #4)” as Want to Read:
Cruel Intent (Ali Reynolds, #4)

Cruel Intent (Ali Reynolds #4)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  2,474 ratings  ·  243 reviews

Ex-television journalist Ali Reynolds just wants a brea
Published December 2nd 2008 by Touchstone Books (first published December 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Cruel Intent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cruel Intent

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
Books I read and LOVED !
50th out of 134 books — 29 voters
The Cold Dish by Craig JohnsonKindness Goes Unpunished by Craig JohnsonDeath Without Company by Craig JohnsonAnother Man's Moccasins by Craig JohnsonThe Blessing Way by Tony Hillerman
Best Modern Western Mysteries
96th out of 133 books — 42 voters

More lists with this book...

Carl Alves
Of late I've been really souring on the insane overabundance of serial killer novels. They have been so overdone of late that it was hard to trudge through yet another one. Still, Cruel Intent was a pretty easy read and had a lighter tone than some of the others I've read lately. In Cruel Intent, ex TV journalist Ali Reynolds gets involved in a murder case when the contractor working on her case is investigated and later arrested for murder. In the process, she comes across a website devoted to ...more
Vannessagrace Vannessagrace
Why J.A. Jance would choose to create a character as ridiculous as Ali Reynolds only she knows!

Ali Reynolds grew up with intelligent parents and she raised an intelligent son yet Ali Reynolds lacks common sense, common reasoning skills, and she’s slow to catch on. Yet, she was a successful journalist. Ali seems to possess what is called all book sense and no common sense.

J. A. Jance had a winner in her J. P. Beaumont character whom I like and always looked forward to the next book.

Cruel Intent
#4 in the Ali Reynolds series. As Ali moves on from her divorce and wrongful termination, her blog becomes less pertinent and she turns it over to someone else to run. Her big project now is renovating the mansion she purchased in Hand of Evil (2007). The role of septuagenarian butler Leland Brooks, inherited with the mansion, is being fleshed out, as is her marital history. The necessary murder has the unfaithful wife of her contractor murdered by the serial killer manipulating the dating site ...more
Steve Lindahl
Cruel Intent is the fourth book in J.A. Jance's Ali Reynolds series. I've read two of her others and can say this is my favorite so far. It's a light, easy read without any glaring holes in the mystery and Jance has done a wonderful job of creating a character in Ali Reynolds who has day to day problems she seems to handle in imperfect ways. I like that. It gives a sense of reality to a mystery series where the crimes find the main character rather than the other way around.

Cruel Intent is about
Randy Daugherty
Cruel Intent by J.A.Jance this was my first time reading Jance and may be why I rated it lower just not being use to her style though I did find the book a good read.
The characters are well developed and interesting and more they are very believable. We all can relate to the trials that all the characters are going through.
We start with a murdered woman, a beautiful wife and mother, she is also having an affair not just one but a string leaving the police with one viable suspect the husband.
Cruel Intent (J.A. Jance)

A suspense/thriller. Ali is having her house renovated, when she finds her contractors wife has been murdered. Soon he becomes the number one suspect, but Ali is not too sure about his guilt, even though the whole town has him pegged as guilty. Soon Ali finds herself in a fight for her life as the killer is hot on her trail.

Likable characters, fast paced and suspenseful. Fun read for those who like a bit of humor in their murder mystery dramas.
I wasn't sure how to rate this book. I like J.A. Jance's writing and have read several of her books. For my whole life, I have been a rabid fan of murder mysteries. I've read hundreds, maybe thousands, of them. I am interested in the character of Ali Reynolds. I want to know how her life turns out.

All of a sudden, I find the murder part rather disturbing. I no longer enjoy wallowing in the "evil" part of the good vs. evil. This book has another serial killer. You get into his head. You know
Sandra Strange
I enjoy Jance "mysteries," though they're the type I usually avoid: not puzzles, because the reader knows the bad guy from the beginning, novels with copious globs of jeopardy to the "detective" protagonist, this time Ali Reynolds, ex journalist who's semi retired to Sedona, Arizona. I think I like Jance's mysteries because the characters are well developed and not stereotyped, with lots of appealing continuing minor characters along with the main protagonist crime solver. This novel concerns a ...more
Christine Howard
Tight and taut book. This Ali Reynolds mystery delves into the world of computer crime. A physician in Phoenix stalks women and steals information about both men and women from his SingleatHeart computer dating service for people unhappy in their marriages. He identifies women who are willing to be unfaithful connects with them then kills them and blames it on someone else, usually the husband.

When Ali's building contractor's wife is killed she is not convinced he did it and goes on the site her
Carole Anderson
This was on of the author's Ali Reynolds books and it was good. As usual Ali gets wrapped up in a murder and almost gets killed, but there's humor and surprise and it was an enjoyable rea.
Sarah Mckelvy
This was my first time reading a book by Jance. It was okay, but I will not immediately grab for another book by her again. Jance tried to have too many stories going on at once, i.e. choosing a recipient for a college scholarship, reconciling the relationship between her son and fiance with her parents, building a new home, and solving a murder that no one else (not even the police) can solve.

I was not a fan of Ali's personality, at times she was whiny and on other occasions was rolling her ey
Kathleen O'Nan
Ali Reynolds (#4 book) has Ali running for her life one again as she, in the course of defending her contractor who is mistakenly accused of murdering his faithless wife, butts heads with the real murderer, to whom the murdered wife is just one of a string of murdered women. Ali makes some mistakes that almost cost her her life but, luckily for her AND for her readers, she escapes only with a few stitches. Her new daughter-in-law is introduced also and I have a feeling she may be a help in some ...more
This is one of my favorite book series and just because this book only received 3 stars doesn't mean it wasn't a good book. It just wasn't her best one and I will certainly be continuing with the series. As a matter of fact, I already have the next book on order from the library.

In book 4 of the Ali Reynolds series, Ali's new home is being remodeled and Bryan Forrester is her top notch contractor in charge of this large undertaking. However, soon into the book, Bryan's wife, Morgan, is found bl
Kris - My Novelesque Life

"On a dating site,, bored housewives can find romance with married men looking for sex without strings. But these "married singles" are flirting with more than just their vows. At the heart of this seemingly innocent service, a vengeful computer hacker is playing games with people's lives...and deaths.Ex-television journalist Ali Reynolds just wants a break from excitement. In the midst of a remodel, the last thing she expects is a murder investigation that will stop t
William Bentrim
Dec 22, 2009 William Bentrim rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any mystery fan
Cruel Intent by J. A. Jance

Ali Reynolds just wanted to get into her house and make Thanksgiving dinner. Little did she know that a serial killer would thrust his ugly way into her hopes for a pleasant holiday.

This mystery really moved. Jance put the pedal to the metal and never let up. Ali is a likeable heroine who cares about people around her. She is tolerant of others and their differences. Her butler, Leland, provides her with a steady hand when she lets her emotions run away. Her relation
Bruce Snell
This is the forth of J.A. Jance's Ali Reynolds series. This one was slightly better than the others in this series, but still nothing to write home about. Ali is having her new house remodeled, and her contractor is accused of murdering his wife. In the end, Ali finds the evidence to prove he is not guilty and they all live happily ever after (at least till book 5).

The writing is shallow, the characters flat, the story simplistic, and the coincidences never stop coming.

One chapter before Ali d
I have yet to find a book by J.A. Jance that was not well worth the reading. It is escape fiction, perhaps, but it is good escape fiction, with a generally interesting cast of fully understandable characters involved in a complex plot that gives us understanding of how these people interact with what is going on around them to the extent that we can determine whether we might or would want to act that way, too. Isn‘t that what learning is all about? In addition, I am always eager to see how succ ...more
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
All Ali Reynolds wants is rest and completion of her Sedona, Arizona home following the aftermath of Arabella Ashcroft’s madness, but the gingery former anchorwoman finds herself embroiled in the middle of a brand new murder case. What is worse her contractor, Bryan Forester, is the only suspect in his wife’s brutal killing. Bryan insists he is innocent though he admits that Morgan was cheating on him using where like –mind married “singles” hook up. Having been suspected of he ...more
Ali Reynolds is remodeling her new home. Things are going well till her contractor Bryan Forester becomes the number one suspect in the murder of his wife. Rumor has it that Mr. Forester is hurting for money. Ali doesn’t believe the rumors. In fact Ali does not believe Bryan is capable of murdering his wife. She plans to prove his innocence. In doing so, Ali has just marked herself as the next target.

Cruel Intent is the fourth book featuring ex-television journalist, Ali Reynolds. This book can
Phyllis Sommers
Although basically a light, fun read, this novel was, nevertheless, somewhat more than just a typical thriller. There is a certain "flavor" to the lead character, Alison "Ali" Reynolds, to her family, friends and her home town of Sedona. No longer working as an investigative journalist, Ali has decided to start a blog in which she can detail some of the unhappy events in her life and, hopefully, help others who are going through similar circumstances. In their small town, where everyone seems to ...more
Marcia Berg Haskell
"From New York Times bestselling author J.A. Jance comes a chilling tale of suspense, where romance turns deadly at the hands of a man whose heart is filled with... CRUEL INTENT On a dating site,, bored housewives can find romance with married men looking for sex without strings. But these "married singles" are flirting with more than just their vows. At the heart of this seemingly innocent service, a vengeful computer hacker is playing games with people's lives...and deaths. E ...more
Barbara ★
Former TV personality, Ali Reynolds, has been known to get involved with police investigations in an effort to help solve crimes. And this murder is no different.

Ali Reynolds is renovating her new house when the foreman of her construction crew is arrested for murdering his wife. Ali knows Bryan Forester pretty well and doesn't believe he has done this horrible crime. When Bryan asks Ali to help him investigate, she agrees to help and soon finds herself in hot water with both the detective invol
Doug Branscombe
Another great book in this series. I read the whole book today, it was that good! Ali Reynolds is having her house refinished and the main contractor's wife is found murdered. As expected the husband is the number one suspect. Since Ali doesn't think that's possible, she starts looking into it and one thing turns into another and she's right in the middle of the situation, this time including her family and friends. A fast paced, action filled story.
Time for a little summer escapism! J. A. Jance is always good for a good story intertwined with some social issue. In here she deals with computer hackers, serial killers, and remodeling. Ali Reynolds continues to be in the wrong place at the wrong time when the contractor who is remodeling her house is suspected in the murder of his wife. While investigating, she stumbles onto a website that leads to her landing on the real killer's radar. A page turner, as usual.
This is the fourth book in the Ali Reynolds series. I wasn't too crazy for the first two books but the third caught my attention and I am now looking forward to reading this which comes out in December.

Update: I finished this the other day and enjoyed it quite a bit. The characters are becoming more interesting and I will continue to follow the series to find out what happens to them, which is a good thing (although I still prefer the Beaumont books). This is more of a thriller than a mystery, w
Ali Reynolds is restoring an old mansion. It is near Thanksgiving and she wants to host the family there. Her contractor is charged with murdering his wife. Ali and Leland are interested because they feel Bryan is innocent. David Holman is sure he did it and upset Ali. She discovers a dating site his wife visited. Since computers are involved Ali enlisted the help of a computer expert. The are a number of turns in this book to hold your attention.
Aug 01, 2013 Pat rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
I "read" (listened) this book and became increasingly annoyed. I skipped the first few chapters because the author felt it necessary to really make the bad guy a really bad guy--write all this horrible stuff and make the reader want to see him get his just desserts. Nonsense. And the main character, in the midst of a remodel that was being recorded for possible future airing on a remodel TV show, was simply dull. I had to fast forward through her dialogue. I did it once, and she REPEATED the sam ...more
Nancy Hartill
OK. I'm hooked now...big time. This Ali Reynolds series I cannot put down...heading for the library the minute I finish a book. Ali's scholarship benefactor convinces Ali to take on her old Frank Lloyd Wright style home in Sedona and she decides to bring it back to life, keeps the butler, and becomes wrapped up in her work crews troubles. Super sleuth to the rescue!!! She should be a cop!
I always like the books Jance pens and this one was no exception. I was never bored as the story raced along. I found the supporting characters likeable and the villian chilling. Some of the action was a bit over the top in places but I would laugh at some well-written antic then turn the page and gasp at the next gruesome revelation. An enjoyable and fun who-done-it!
Somehow I missed this gem by J.A. Jance. I soured on the more current Ali Reynolds books because her character turned into such a snob, but in this book, Ali was down to earth & ready to stand up for her friend. The bad guy in the book, is a great, creepy character too. Of course, the setting in Sedona, AZ is fabulous & really adds to the ambiance of the book.
Mystery 1 13 Feb 07, 2009 06:19PM
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • The Mysterious West
  • The Tooth of Time (Maxie and Stretch, #2)
  • Unknown Means
  • Hardball (V.I. Warshawski, #13)
  • Tandem
  • Cloris: My Autobiography
  • Crosscut (Evan Delaney, #4)
  • Zapped (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #11)
  • Gun Shy (A Blanco County Mystery #5)
  • Borderline (Anna Pigeon, #15)
  • Tail Spin (FBI Thriller, #12)
  • Game Over (Sisterhood, #17)
  • Naked Came the Phoenix
  • Paint It Black (Louis Kincaid, #3)
  • Death's Half Acre (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #14)
  • The Cold Room (Taylor Jackson, #4)
  • Loitering with Intent (Stone Barrington, #16)
Judith Ann Jance is the top 10 New York Times bestselling author of the Joanna Brady series; the J. P. Beaumont series; three interrelated thrillers featuring the Walker family; and Edge of Evil, the first in a series featuring Ali Reynolds. Born in South Dakota and brought up in Bisbee, Arizona, Jance lives with her husband in Seattle, Washington, and Tucson, Arizona.

* J.P. Beaumont
* Joann
More about J.A. Jance...

Ali Reynolds (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Edge of Evil (Ali Reynolds, #1)
  • Web of Evil (Ali Reynolds, #2)
  • Hand of Evil (Ali Reynolds, #3)
  • Trial by Fire (Ali Reynolds, #5)
  • Fatal Error (Ali Reynolds, #6)
  • Left for Dead (Ali Reynolds, #7)
  • Deadly Stakes (Ali Reynolds, #8)
  • Moving Target (Ali Reynolds, #9)
  • Cold Betrayal (Ali Reynolds, #10)
  • Claw Back: A Novel (Ali Reynolds, #11)

“happens to be a two-L and an IE Allie. Besides, Reynolds” 1 likes