Start by marking “Gratitude” as Want to Read:
Gratitude

Gratitude

March 1944: War's darkest period descends upon Hungary's Jews. By the time it ends in January 1945, over half a million Jews will have been murdered. "Gratitude "tells the story of that period, through the eyes of the wealthy Beck family, whose lives and loves are saved and lost. At the center of it all is Paul Beck, a young lawyer whose chance meeting with a visiting ...more
Unknown Binding, 498 pages
Published March 30th 2008 by Viking Canada

Tim
May 02, 2010 Tim rated it it was ok
Promise squandered can get one's back up; your expectations are dashed, so you lash out. Hence the two stars here. Yes, I'm a spiteful codger.

Joseph Kertes' story about Hungarian Jews during World War II certainly has much to recommended it (and I seem to be in the minority in my disappointment), but the author's attempts to enrich this apparently fact-based tale of his family with background and character-building provoked in me irritation that he wouldn't just get on with it.

"Gratitude" opens
Sharif Khan
Nov 03, 2015 Sharif Khan rated it really liked it
As WWII draws to a brutal end, Hitler’s storm cloud of tyranny descends upon Hungary’s Jews. A sad yet soaring tale of a Hungarian Jewish family caught up in the cruel chaos, Joseph Kertes’ third novel, GRATITUDE, is a sweeping literary achievement that serves as a powerful humbling force – taking the reader through the dark night of the soul and into the spangled light.

Sixteen-year-old Lili Bandel emerges from her small Jewish village of Tolgy as the sole survivor in a place turned into a deso
Barbara
Jul 22, 2012 Barbara rated it liked it
If you are interested in the story of Swedish diplomat Raoul Wallenberg's efforts to save Hungarian Jews during WWII by issuing them Swedish citizenship papers and putting them in safe houses, you should read this book. By itself, that is a fascinating tale. If you are interested in Hungary, you should also read it. But, while it was definitely readable, I was not impressed with the writing. Kertes puts long philosophical treatises in the mouths of characters at the most unlikely times. And, ...more
Ayms219
Mar 12, 2012 Ayms219 rated it it was amazing
A moving story that sets WWII in a place and perspective we don't often see with some of the most memorable lines I have ever read. I am lucky enough to have interviewed the author after reading it. The thing I love about hearing a writer describe their own characters is how it sounds like they're talking about real, 3-dimentional friends and family members. I think a gifted author brings their characters to life and knows them intimately. Finishing a book must be like saying goodbye to an old ...more
Sean Bailey
Jan 10, 2012 Sean Bailey rated it really liked it
Gratitude isn’t your typical America comes to save the day kind of book. It takes place in Hungary, mainly in Budapest, and follows a family of Hungarian Jews who, along with the rest of their country have gone relatively unscathed from the war that’s been going on around them throughout Europe. Eventually though, Hitler and his ever expanding empire begins to take over and life as they knew it was turned upside down.

My full review: http://inseansopinion.com/2010/02/24/...
stillme
Jul 10, 2011 stillme rated it did not like it
I wanted to keep reading, because the opening chapter was very good. However, the dialogue was awful, and so stilted I almost felt they were speaking in non sequiturs. Even though the descriptive passage and internal monologues were excellent, I could invest time in 512 pages of people speaking like idiots.
Shar Wallis
May 24, 2012 Shar Wallis rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book that is mainly about Hungarian Jews during WWII and the holocaust. It is fiction, but had a lot of history in it too. The characters were believable, but there were some scenes and dialogue that didn't seem necessary for the flow of the book. Still, it was interesting, and I'd recommend it.
Rona
May 26, 2008 Rona rated it really liked it
Why another Holocaust novel? I've read a few, but this one, set in Hungary, kept me turning the pages and hoping for a mini-series. The storytelling is occasionally perfunctory, but Kertes creates beautifully rounded characters who pull you into their vanished world.
Lynora Saxinger
Aug 11, 2012 Lynora Saxinger rated it really liked it
Engaged from the start, a very human story of people surviving and trying to make sense of the unfathomable chaos of violence and war. Well drawn characters, very memorable scenes...ultimately both inspiring and tragic.
Donnamrichard
Mar 13, 2014 Donnamrichard rated it did not like it
I just couldn't get into this story even though the subject matter is one that I love to read and learn about in novels
Francine
Nov 30, 2009 Francine rated it really liked it
Only four stars because it was a bit too long. But it's a harrowing glimpse of 1940s Hungary and what two families did to survive. Heartbreaking.
Fran
Jun 25, 2013 Fran rated it liked it
It was a good story. I appreciated learning about Hungary during WW2. The writing was on the awkward side and I found myself distracted by it.
Maureen
Nov 14, 2010 Maureen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this in Hungary. The gripping story of Hungary's Jewish community was all the more moving when we could actually visit the landmarks in Budapest, Auschwitz.
Grant Whitehead
A great read. Loved the characters and the descriptive narrative of the concentration camp experience.
Micebyliz
Jan 23, 2015 Micebyliz rated it did not like it
not the novel it could have been. a good story but told in a simplistic style that detracts from the narrative. couldn't finish it. i do recommend to those interested to read
more on Wallenberg.
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2009
Sarah rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2016
Deva79
Deva79 rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2011
Heidi
Heidi rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2016
Sharyn Wolf
Sharyn Wolf rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2011
DeniseF
DeniseF rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2010
Sisilia Marseila
Sisilia Marseila rated it it was ok
Sep 11, 2013
وحيد يسري
وحيد يسري rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2014
Beth
Beth rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2010
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2013
Amy Hustead
May 28, 2011 Amy Hustead rated it liked it
Started out great, but dragged on a bit too long. Overall I would recommend.
Marsha Milstock
Marsha Milstock rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2015
  • Your Sad Eyes and Unforgettable Mouth
  • Fleischerhaus
  • Red Inferno: 1945
  • April in Paris
  • Knights of the Cross (Demetrios Askiates, #2)
  • A Beautiful Cage
  • Gifts of War
  • Dear Enemy
  • Scum of the Earth
  • A Jew Must Die
Joseph Kertes was born in Hungary (1951) but escaped with his family to Canada after the revolution of 1956.

He studied English at York University and the University of Toronto, where he was encouraged in his writing by Irving Layton and Marshall McLuhan.

Kertes founded Humber College's distinguished creative writing and comedy programs. He is currently Humber's Dean of Creative and Performing Arts
More about Joseph Kertes...