Start by marking “Doctor Fischer of Geneva or The Bomb Party” as Want to Read:
Doctor Fischer of Geneva or The Bomb Party

Doctor Fischer of Geneva or The Bomb Party

3.57  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,562 Ratings  ·  103 Reviews
Doctor Fischer despises the human race.

(Source: back cover)
Mass Market Paperback, 143 pages
Published 1981 by Penguin (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Fischer of Geneva or The Bomb Party, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Fischer of Geneva or The Bomb Party

The Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienWalden by Henry David ThoreauTwelfth Night by William ShakespeareMoby-Dick; or, The Whale by Herman MelvilleFrankenstein by Mary Shelley
This (Or That)
28th out of 55 books — 14 voters
The Merchant of Venice by William ShakespeareAmsterdam by Ian McEwanRooftops of Tehran by Mahbod SerajiA Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty  SmithDubliners by James Joyce
Cities
70th out of 281 books — 43 voters

More lists with this book...

BrokenTune
Aug 18, 2015 BrokenTune rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
'It’s a bit too late for that, isn’t it?’
‘It’s never too late to spit at God Almighty. He lasts for ever and ever, amen. And he made us what we are.’
‘Perhaps he did, but Doctor Fischer didn’t.’
‘He made me what I am now.’
‘Oh,’ I said – I was impatient with the little man who had broken my solitude – ‘go up there then and spit. A lot of good may it do you.’

What a book! I can't reveal too much about the plot without giving some of the twists away but this was a meticulous exercise in spunky, dark.
mark monday
Sep 11, 2011 mark monday rated it it was ok
Shelves: blood-and-danger
this is a surprisingly shallow depiction of the banality of evil - a common topic for the author. perhaps the standardized thriller format did not provide Greene enough room in which to grow his intriguing themes, develop more-than-standard characters, or at least create some genuine resonance. alas! the set-up is actually quite interesting (and mordantly amusing); unfortunately, the novel itself lacks that spark of excitement or complexity of plot or depth of characterization that allows it to ...more
Fahad
Nov 13, 2011 Fahad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, favorites
حفلة القنبلة

أول كتاب أقرؤه لجراهام جرين، قرأت مذكراته قبل عام تقريبا ً، ولأنه من الكتاب الذين لا يرد ذكرهم كثيرا ً، حيث لا أذكر أني قرأت أو سمعت من يتحدث عنه أو عن كتبه، فلذا لم أكن متعجلا ً للتجربة، بعض الكتاب تشعر بضغط شديد للقراءة لهم، الكل يتحدث عنهم، مراجعات كتبهم في كل مكان، مع جراهام كنت مرتاحا ً، لا توقعات فلا خيبات أمل.

يمكنني القول بعد الفراغ من روايته هذه أنه من الكتاب الجيدين، لديه فكرة جديدة، وهو يرسمها بهدوء وبطريقة ذكية، فلذا سأقرأ له أكثر.

يصعب استخلاص موضوعة أساسية لهذه الرواية
Judy
Dec 28, 2014 Judy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Amanda, Gene
Graham Greene....I can't decide if this book is equal to Our Man in Havana or not...On second thought. OMiH wins, simply because of its humor. Dr Fischer is full of Greene's patented irony, but is also rather sobering. Totally loved this story, to the point of reading it all in one morning. I will pick it up again at some point.
Shane
Feb 05, 2012 Shane rated it really liked it
This is one of Greene’s shorter novels, written later in his career, that mirror his earlier “entertainments,” but one with a moral dilemma to be resolved.

Dr. Fishcher is a self-loathing inventor of a best-selling toothpaste. He lives in seclusion in Geneva and is surrounded by a bunch of toadies, whom he takes the greatest pleasure in humiliating at his famous soirees. He rewards his guests lavishly, feeding their greed for material possessions and then wreaks his hatred on their weakness. Narr
aPriL does feral sometimes
Oct 27, 2011 aPriL does feral sometimes rated it it was ok
Shelves: literary
I'm going against the tide of public opinion and I say this is a silly book. It's not exactly overrated, but I thought it was dumb. That said, it is a definite literary work of value. It was too juvenile and heavy handed for my taste. "Doctor Fischer" - doctor, a healer, and Fischer, a fisher of men Jesus reference, except this is a bitter upside down version, full of spite and revulsion, which is not an uncommon intellectual position to have, I simply feel the subject of greed and self-centered ...more
Leslie Graff
Jun 03, 2015 Leslie Graff rated it it was ok
Brenda Sorrels
May 11, 2012 Brenda Sorrels rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I was in the mood to read an oldie, so I picked up a copy of this book and couldn't put it down. The only other Graham Greene book I'm familiar with is - The Quiet American, which I loved as well as the m ovie. Doctor Fischer of Geneva has made me want to read more of Greene's books. I feel as if I've just discovered something new and awesome, even though Greene is an icon who's been around for years. Written in the first person, there is an intimacy with the narrator, a 50ish widower named Jone ...more
bobbygw bobbygw
Aug 26, 2011 bobbygw bobbygw rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of graham greene, satire, subjects of greed and amorality
Shelves: fiction
While this novella - my early Avon paperback edition reaches 142 pages, while I notice some other editions are @ 120, it's clearly not a novel - is deeply moral, it is also entertaining yet also deeply poignant, and never preachy in tone or sanctimonious. Written from the embittered, disillusioned, disheartened viewpoint of Mr Jones, the man who falls deeply in love with the enigmatic, sad but wonderful Anna-Luise, the only daughter of multi-millionaire, megalomaniac and entirely monstrous Docto ...more
Mazel
Jul 28, 2010 Mazel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mais qui est donc le bizarre docteur Fischer, cet homme qui organise dans sa somptueuse demeure genevoise des réceptions pour lesquelles plus d'un hôte serait prêt à se damner ?

C'est qu'il est riche, le docteur Fischer, immensément riche, de sorte que chacun se prête volontiers à ses caprices souvent cruels pour figurer parmi les destinataires de ses forts généreux cadeaux. Celui qui nous conte les extravagances de l'excentrique docteur Fischer n'est autre que son gendre, Alfred Jones, un quinq
J.R.
Jul 21, 2010 J.R. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Graham Greene divided his work into two categories he defined as ‘novels’ and ‘entertainments.’ He was also a comic genius, which skill is demonstrated in this short novel and the longer ‘Travels With My Aunt.’

He uses his wit, not merely to entertain, as do some others, but to indict the foibles of mankind.

Doctor Fischer is a rich man who delights in humiliating others. The story is narrated by Alfred Jones, a man who has suffered many losses but is given a new chance at happiness when he marrie
Rafa
Sep 15, 2015 Rafa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Su interés por mostrar hasta la exageración la sicología humana lo lleva al descrédito.
Kevin Faulkner
Feb 03, 2016 Kevin Faulkner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the greatest of 20th century English novelists, Greene's novels contain acute and sometimes controversial observations upon the human condition. In his last ever novel, Graham Greene (1904 -1991) explores the nature of greed, in particular the greed of the rich.

The novella (140 pp) is narrated from the perspective of the endearing character of Alfred Jones, a translator for a chocolate factory in Geneva. When Alfred meets Anna-Luise, the estranged daughter of the fabulously wealthy Docto
Bettie☯
Description: When the notorious toothpaste millionaire decides to hold his own deadly version of the Book of Revelations, Greene opens up a powerful vision of the limitless greed of the rich; black comedy and painful satire combine in a totally compelling novel.

Opening: I think that I used to detest Doctor Fischer more than any other man I have known just as I loved his daughter more than any other woman.

This is not to be confused with Dr. Strangelove or: How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love
Karl
Oct 08, 2014 Karl rated it really liked it
Pablo
El Doctor Fisher es un magnate, residente en Ginebra, que ha amasado su fortuna en base a la invención de un revolucionario dentífrico, llamado Dentophil Bouquet. Con esta fortuna por las nubes, es el anfitrión, en su gran mansión que ciñe el lago, de unas macabras reuniones en dónde se pone a límite la avaricia de un grupo de personas, de posición también adinerada: Richard Deane, un viejo actor de cine alcohólico; un asesor fiscal, Monsieur Belmont; Kips, un abogado internacional; Mrs. Montgom ...more
Margaret
Dec 16, 2010 Margaret rated it liked it
Dr. Fischer, with much money but little love, is seemingly driven by despair to humiliate rich people by having them debase themselves in order to win valuable prizes (reality show material, today). His son-in-law, also driven by despair does not play his game. A fast reading, interesting book/novella, but the "greedy-rich" needed more development.
علياء
Apr 28, 2015 علياء rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: روايات
كتابة كلاسيكية مريحة أثناء القراءة، والكاتب يهتم بالتقرب من شخصية البطل الرئيسي، أما أحداث الرواية فهي تكشف كل الأبعاد والاحتمالات التي تترجح بينها الشخصيات الأخرى، مما يعطي المفاجأة حضورها القوي كما القنبلة.
Tammam
Dec 22, 2015 Tammam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book in part because I know all the places in and around Geneva and many of the mannerisms of people here. I see the ultra rich walking around in Geneva and I can see the greed for more, as described by Greene, in them.

This is a book about greed and about those who have a lot and want nothing but to have more. They aren't only imaginary figures in Greene's novel but are there in real life.

The ending was less of the climax I expected, it is almost a happy ending, or rather a logical
Spotsalots
This is a short novel, rapid to read, and without an extraneous word anywhere. That's just as well, because one wouldn't really want it to be any longer. The narrator tells his tale, achieves his effect, and there it is. He has, by odd chance, married the daughter of an extremely unpleasant millionaire and is thus briefly drawn into his father-in-law's orbit, although unlike the ultra-rich "friends," he does not fawn on the man who routinely humiliates and torments his hangers-on.

The book has be
James MacIntyre
Nov 28, 2010 James MacIntyre rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Because of its short, parabolic nature, this is by the far the most interesting of any Greene I've read (and the only one I've managed to finish, the rest were too irritating.)
Philip
Sep 15, 2013 Philip rated it really liked it
Doctor Fischer Of Geneva Or The Bomb Party is one of Graham Greene’s late novels. At around fifty thousand words, it’s also quite short, and can easily be read in a single sitting. Do not think, however, that this quality might equate in any way with labels such as miniature or sketch, or even light. The book may not present a broad canvas, but compression is a word that might summarise its effect, since it addresses some very big and serious themes in a simple, succinct but profound way.

Graham
Trevor
Apr 30, 2011 Trevor rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
On completion I realised that just a couple of months ago I doubt if I could have finished this book. It is full of despair and depression yet is quite an enjoyable read non the less. The main story follow 'Jones' who works as an interpreter and marries the daughter of an uncaring millionaire. From that moment on the story follows the spiral of self destruction that follows 'Jones'.

His father-in-law also has this morbid self destructive streak but alleviates this by holding 'parties' where he hu
Romain X.
Oct 23, 2015 Romain X. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog
Comme souvent chez Graham Greene on retrouve dans ce court roman de nombreuses références à la religion. Cette fois, elle sont mises au service de la description d'un homme oscillant entre Dieu et le Diable.
"Je ne suis pas le Christ et il n'est pas Satan; d'ailleurs, je croyais que nous nous étions mis d'accord pour dire qu'il est Dieu Tout-Puissant - mais j'imagine qu'aux yeux des damnés, Dieu Tout-Puissant ressemble beaucoup à Satan".
Le roman est construit autour de ce personnage et des sent
Steve Dewey
Dec 27, 2014 Steve Dewey rated it really liked it
Dr Fischer of Geneva or the Bomb Party explores love and greed. At around 150 pages the book is almost a novella. It is an "easier" read, both in density of writing, and in ideas, than Brighton Rock or The End of the Affair, for example, being closer to what early in his writing career Greene labelled his "entertainments", such as The Ministry of Fear.

Dr Fischer of Geneva is the richest man in that city, and hosts parties to which he invites other wealthy guests. At these parties, Fischer humili
Evelyn
Sep 11, 2013 Evelyn rated it liked it
An amusing but depressing novella about the hideous excesses of money, greed and the associated power that comes with it, all grossly personified in the Doctor Fischer character. Fischer is a multi millionaire, surrounded by a group of sycophants who gladly humiliate themselves for his amusement in exchange for money and privileges. Fischer's estranged daughter, disgusted by witnessing years of her father's treatment of people, goes off and marries a working class man, Alfred. However, when an i ...more
Patrick McCoy
Dec 21, 2007 Patrick McCoy rated it liked it
Shelves: classics
I read another slim volume recently, Dr. Fischer of Geneva, or The Bomb Party by Graham Greene. I am huge Greene fan and really have enjoyed everything I‘ve read by him, but this slight novel is minor Greene. I guess he makes some rather cynical observations about the wealthy and some rather idealistic observations about true love-two concepts in opposition to one another. Dr. Geneva is a bit of a conundrum, but his lackeys, known as “the toads” are a collection of stereotypes. The love affair b ...more
Peter Humphreys
Jun 09, 2012 Peter Humphreys rated it liked it
This deliciously light bite of Greene's shows the sparkling Swiss snow and neutral overtones of a self-satisfied band of expats to be hiding a multitude of sins. While the themes of limitless greed and tax avoidance are apposite to my Hong Kong home (I ordered a battered copy from HK library that looked like it had been shipped directly from colonial times..) I was keen to read it because of a friend's claim that his father had been represented amongst Dr Fischer's Genevan 'Toads' (ah yes, the s ...more
Corey Pung
Jan 04, 2012 Corey Pung rated it really liked it
It’s a slim volume, somewhere around 200 pages. It revolves around that respectable, if old-fashioned, convention of a book built around a dinner party. Proust, Austen, James, and Tolstoy have all written novels where the pivotal scene comes after hors d’oeuvres. Luis Bunuel has made at least three films about dinner parties gone awry (Viridiana, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, and the great film The Exterminating Angel).

Graham Greene, towards the close of his career, made his own entry,
Jill
Jul 18, 2015 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very quick read. Almost more like a long short story or a parable than a novel, so, no, characters were not thoroughly fleshed out, as some complain, but enough so that I had a clear mental image of each one. I enjoyed it and finished it in just a couple of hours. Would make a good read on the beach, leaving one with the shortcomings and nobilities of the human soul to ponder.
  • The Auctioneer
  • The End of the Battle
  • The Fellowship: The Untold Story of Frank Lloyd Wright and the Taliesin Fellowship
  • Makropoulos Secret
  • The Golden Fleece
  • The Complete Short Stories
  • My Guru And His Disciple
  • Die Abschaffung der Arten
  • The Devil's Footprints
  • Of Love and Hunger
  • Up at the Villa
  • Corridors of Power (Strangers and Brothers, #9)
  • Bramy Raju
  • Nervous People and Other Satires
  • The Quest of the Sacred Slipper
  • Japan 1941: Countdown to Infamy
Henry Graham Greene, OM, CH was an English novelist, short story writer, playwright, screenplay writer, travel writer and critic whose works explore the ambivalent moral and political issues of the modern world. Greene combined serious literary acclaim with wide popularity.

Although Greene objected strongly to being described as a “Catholic novelist” rather than as a “novelist who happened to be Ca
More about Graham Greene...

“He's satisfied with himself. If you have a soul you can't be satisfied.” 27 likes
“I doubt if ever one ceases to love, but one can cease to be in love as easily as one can outgrow an author one admired as a boy.” 5 likes