Start by marking “The Getaway Special” as Want to Read:
The Getaway Special

The Getaway Special (Getaway)

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  84 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
In the tradition of Poul Anderson's Operation Chaos, Jerry Oltion, a rising star of science fiction and a Nebula Award-winning author, returns with a novel of intergalactic travel, a mad scientist, and otherworldly allies.

Allen Meisner is a member of INSANE, the International Network of Scientists Against Nuclear Extermination. A card-carrying mad scientist, he develops a
Published December 20th 2001 by Tom Doherty Associates (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Getaway Special, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Getaway Special

Peter
Feb 16, 2009 Peter rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: science fiction fans
Tim Hicks
Sep 10, 2014 Tim Hicks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
If you've read Oltion's Anywhere But Here, this is the preceding volume, written in 2001. But each book can stand alone.

Our heroine is a shuttle pilot, our hero a genius scientist. One day he stumbles across a really easy way to build a hyperdrive. With handwaving worthy of a 1950s novel, they're off to space for some adventures.

It feels a bit silly throughout, and it IS silly, but as things roll out Oltion takes some care with the science, being careful with such things as relative velocities
Andreas
Sep 15, 2011 Andreas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vaguely similar in premise to Red Thunder, The Getaway Special is about a scientist who invents a very cheap hyperdrive, and the consequences of his invention.

Unlike our hero’s predictions, the revelation of the hyperdrive leads to instant mayhem as the powers of the world are brought to the brink of war. The fragile balance of power from before is shattered. The US government persecutes the inventor and the commander of the space shuttle on which the experiment was performed, forcing them to go
Dec 11, 2015 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, star-ship
This is kind of a weird book. I love reading about space travel but this book was very disjointed. The whole plot with Earth didn't make sense. I also doubt that a septic tank could really travel around space, but hey I'm no scientist. It was a cute read but I would say it's more like 2.5 stars.
Mary Lowd
Jul 06, 2015 Mary Lowd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This classic feeling piece of science-fiction adventure is filled with surprising twists and turns that take it to delightful places. I'd say more -- but spoilers. In short, I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
William Sullivan
Mar 17, 2011 William Sullivan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eugene author Jerry Oltion's sci-fi novel is a riot -- based on the premise that someone invents a space ship that anyone can build using a septic tank and a few electronic parts from a Radio Shack store. Soon the galaxy is full of space cowboys pioneering new planets, and Earth is in chaos.
Leigh Kimmel
Dec 04, 2012 Leigh Kimmel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great fun, and although there were a few technical glitches related to the qualifications of pilot astronauts, terminology, etc, they didn't damage my suspension of disbelief enough to wreck my enjoyment of it.
Trent Mikesell
This one was just a really silly, but fun, read. Reminded me of Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Davion Hellstrom
Oltion is definitely a hidden gem in the sci-fi genre.
Robert
May 15, 2011 Robert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really wonderful science fiction. DIY space travel
Choirsoftheeye
Choirsoftheeye marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Aaron Cooper
Aaron Cooper marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
John Speelman
John Speelman rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2016
Renato Dantas
Renato Dantas marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2016
James Aaron
James Aaron marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Abraxas
Abraxas marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Darron Moore
Darron Moore rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2016
Yochai
Yochai added it
Feb 07, 2016
Alistair
Alistair marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Fhafard
Fhafard marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Andrew Vickers
Andrew Vickers marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Kalen
Kalen rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2016
Mia
Mia rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2016
Jennifer Pomerleau
Jennifer Pomerleau rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2016
Beiza
Beiza added it
Dec 21, 2015
Robert O'Rourke
Robert O'Rourke rated it it was ok
Nov 15, 2015
Felicia
Felicia marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Ariel Acosta
Ariel Acosta marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

Getaway (2 books)
  • Anywhere But Here (The Starborn Ascension #1)