Start by marking “Unique” as Want to Read:
Unique

Unique

3.56  ·  Rating Details  ·  402 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
When Dominic discovers he had an older brother who died before he was born he realizes the reason why he is such a disappointment to his father. His brother was a brilliant academic and promising scientist - but Dominic prefers to spend his time painting. Dominic heads for Cambridge to find out more about his brother and discovers much more than he ever bargained for - aft ...more
Published 2004 by Oxford University Press

To ask other readers questions about Unique, please sign up.

Emily May

This wasn't bad at all, quite an easy enjoyable read and fairly typical of what you'd expect from a young adult science fiction story.

I liked the ethical questions about scientific advances and the different philosophical viewpoints of the religious and the non-believers, some were nothing like what we would expect them to be. However, the author spent the first half of the book trying to create some mystery around the circumstances of Dominic's secret brother's life and death, this would have b
Bethany
Aug 12, 2008 Bethany rated it it was amazing
Amanda
Dec 27, 2013 Amanda rated it really liked it
Joshua Allerton
Apr 14, 2013 Joshua Allerton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
It's actually really hard to fault this book. It is written in a way that ensures you only put the book down when you upmost have to. It asks those ethical questions will leaves you thinking for days and still you will be indecisive. An amazing book, one which I would recommend to anyone.
Jhanielle
Nov 23, 2015 Jhanielle rated it really liked it
I read this book quite a while ago, and from what I remember being so engrossed with it and read it in a day.

It was a great book to read especially when it came to the ethical questions that the book tackles - such as cloning.

And thanks to this book, after I've read it - which was also during the time we were planning for a big essay on my philosophy and ethics class - and I was still coming up with ideas on what topic to write about. After I read "Unique" it clicked that I could write about g
Jeffery Carles
Jul 24, 2015 Jeffery Carles rated it did not like it
YO BORRY!
This was the worst book I have ever read.
Before I opened the book it was obvious what the major storyline was. It wasn't written that well and the storyline was predictable and boring.
To be fair, it was probably that people in my English class were actually surprised by the turn of events even after the title and the blurb and all of the glaringly blatant hints throughout the first few chapters practically spelling it out for their puny minds which really made me angry and made me dis
Emma
Jul 29, 2009 Emma rated it it was amazing
Farida El kholy
Feb 12, 2013 Farida El kholy is currently reading it
Kay Limbu
Dominic has always been a disappointment to his ambitious father, but he has never understood why. Then he discovers that he had an older brother who died before he was born. Where his brother was a brilliant academic and scientist, Dominic prefers to 'waste' his time painting. His father cannot forgive him for it. Dominic decides to try to find out about his brother, but he discovers more than he bargained for. Their father had Dominic's dead brother cloned, and Dominic is the result. How can h ...more
Hymaya
Nov 29, 2015 Hymaya rated it did not like it
Même si le thème abordé était intéressant et assez original, je pas aimé cette lecture! Les sentiments des personnages sont survolés, et toutes leurs réactions sont, pour moi, absolument invraisemblables...Par exemple, le gamin "fugue" pendant plusieurs jours sans que ses parents, ou son lycée ne prévienne la police. Après, il "enlève" son grand-père, et pareil, personne ne s'inquiète...Perso, c'est le genre de truc dont j'ai horreur et qui me gâche le plaisir. Donc je ne recommanderai pas cette ...more
Clarabel
Nov 10, 2011 Clarabel rated it really liked it
Un ado de 15 ans découvre l'existence d'un frère aîné, décédé peu avant sa naissance, dont la ressemblance physique est plus que frappante. Ce sont de parfaites copies doubles ! Jamais ses parents n'ont parlé de lui, pourquoi ce silence ? L'enquête se poursuivra à l'université de Cambridge, là où son frère a trouvé la mort, et regroupera très rapidement tous les morceaux du puzzle. Les secrets de cette famille sont choquants, et pour le jeune héros ce n'est que le début d'une cavale infernale. P ...more
Rosemary
There's a dystopian element to this story, set in 2017, which was about 15 years into the future when it was written - but it's not far off now, and things haven't changed as much as the author foresaw.

Anyway, it's an interesting plot about a teenage boy who discovers he had an eerily similar older brother, who died before he was born. When he uncovers the big family secret, he puts himself and several other people in mortal danger.

Unfortunately Dominic, the main character, was like no teenage
Sophia
Mar 09, 2016 Sophia rated it liked it
Shelves: cloning, dna, genetics, sci-fi
I found very sad how Dominic's parents thought he was not good enough for them. But when he finds out why is what makes it so sad. Very good book and it is literally unique.
Sam Willis
Feb 21, 2014 Sam Willis rated it it was ok
Repetitive, lost imagination and the ending was convenient. There was pace now and again and the concept was interesting but it was not executed as well as it could have been.
Bookheads
Mar 02, 2011 Bookheads rated it it was amazing
The book Unique I thought was a bit confusing,but when I got in to I thoughtit was a very good book.Its about a boy whose lives in a mansion because his dad is very wealthy.One day he finds out that he had an older brother that looked exactly like him and it turns out he's a clone of his brother.He runs away from home and finds the woman who created him and the story of how he died,in a biking accident,and after a lot of trouble with the womans husband and his dad he goes to live with his dead b ...more
Daiki
Oct 27, 2015 Daiki rated it it was ok
Read sometime in the october break.

Meh it was interesting but could have been better written.
Jasmine Staples
Jun 14, 2014 Jasmine Staples rated it really liked it
A great page turning book only problem was it's very short.
Jazel Jasmine Padrinao
Jul 02, 2014 Jazel Jasmine Padrinao rated it it was amazing
Noodle TheNaughtyNightOwl
Finished reading Unique by Alison Allen-Gray.

Another take on cloning humans, but not quite as good as her Lifegame story.

An easy read, but rather sad story. Somehow you just wish there was more to it, but maybe I'm just over the whole clone thing after having just read a novel about it.

So, what does this version get?

6/10: "Good light-weight read, well done" on the NBRS.
Rose
Jun 05, 2008 Rose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, what I liked most about this book is that I could read it straight through in German in one sitting. That means that it had enough tension and a sympathetic enough character and was low enough on unnecessary description that I could actually get lost in the story and forget the mechanics of reading in another language. It's called Unique in the original British, I think.
David
Jul 16, 2013 David rated it liked it
While I was forced to read this book and that may have taken away from my overall enjoyment of the story, there were some genuinely exciting things going on within the book. I liked getting an insight into the world of cloning and its ethical questions, however the authors writing style was HORRIBLE. That and it being required reading, meant Unique was very so-so for me.
Muneeza
May 04, 2013 Muneeza rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Evelina
Nov 04, 2010 Evelina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty good book, when I read it though, I thought it was meant to be for younger kids but I found it in the teen isle. I personally think that it would be better to put into the 8-12 isle, it would have caught more attention. It was a really good book from my perspective and an impeccable idea!
Lorraine
Jan 21, 2013 Lorraine rated it really liked it
Hadn't realised this was a 'teen' book when I bought it and it certainly exceeded my expectations. Great concept and plot and I always felt that I wanted to read on. At times some things that happened felt odd and reminded me I was reading a book aimed at a younger audience but overall I enjoyed it.
Ellie
Oct 23, 2013 Ellie rated it liked it
Shelves: read-at-school
I thought that elements of this book were really good, but it was not an enjoyable read for me. I don't typically read sci-fi and when I do it's not the kind of thing I enjoy writing about. If it wasn't required for English, I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much.
Tino Prinzi
Nov 21, 2013 Tino Prinzi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this one at secondary school and it was very interesting how it dealt with the theme of cloning and whether or not it is ethical, from the point of view of a clone who was cloned from his dead brother.
Waterstone's Camberley
Apr 30, 2011 Waterstone's Camberley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: helen
Really enjoyed this book, quite thought provoking as it addresses some issues facing science today and what the personal repurcussions for individuals would be. Don't want to give too much away though!
Rumnah Ehsan
Oct 14, 2012 Rumnah Ehsan rated it it was amazing
I think that book Unique is an amazing science fiction book. I have never read a science fiction before, but for now I think I'm really gonna read science fictions. :)
Eleanor
Jul 14, 2013 Eleanor rated it it was ok
Whilst the concept was interesting, I found the early events happened unbelievably fast and I found the voice very unconvincing as that of a teenage boy.
Anna Macdonald
Oct 22, 2012 Anna Macdonald rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Old YA novel of Holly's, she told me later that she didn't bother finishing it. Oh well, it was quick!
The Ultimate Teen...: Unique - Alison Allen-Gray 2 5 Dec 01, 2014 11:54AM
  • Luke And Jon
  • Evolution: SAGE (The Evolution, #2)
  • How I Wrote My First Book: The Story Behind the Story
  • earthgirl
  • The Devil Walks
  • An Empty Land of Plenty
  • Sisterland
  • I Do, Don't I? (Gilmore Girls, #3)
  • Bang, Bang, You're Dead!
  • Red River (Tent City #2)
  • Cold Hands, Warm Heart
  • Killing Faith (Gabriel de Sade, #1)
  • Strikeforce (Skyship Academy, #3)
  • Compete (The Atlantis Grail, #2)
  • The Warsaw Anagrams
  • Dying to Return (The Station #3)
  • Ferryman
  • Keeper (First Ordinance, #2)
Alison Allen-Gray was brought up in the wilds of Suffolk, where an inspirational primary school teacher helped her to manage the interruption that school posed to the important business of having adventures. Whilst studying for a degree in English and Drama Alison and her friends converted an old chapel into a performance venue and spent long summers doing children's shows and taking plays to the ...more
More about Alison Allen-Gray...

“Any person created through cloning would be a new person-a body, mind and soul with experiences unique to themselves. Biologically, a clone is no different to an identical twin-albeit an identical twin born into another time and place. However, we should look not only at the biology but at the question of intention. What is intended when a child is created in this way? He or she is intended to be a copy of a person who has already lived. Therefore, I'm concerned about how such a child would be able to establish his or her own identity and whether those responsible for creating this child would recognise and respect that identity. My worry about cloning is to do with how such people will be treated. The cloned child would, after all, still be God's creature, deserving of compassion, of course he would, but if he were to be treated as a commodity or as a freak, a sub-human...” 0 likes