Start by marking “On a Whim (Katie Weldon, #2)” as Want to Read:
On a Whim (Katie Weldon, #2)

On a Whim (Katie Weldon #2)

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  1,538 ratings  ·  46 reviews
What s next?

Ever since high school, Katie Weldon has wondered what it would be like to be Rick Doyle s girlfriend. As a college senior she s about to find out.

In the swirl of Katie s upgraded dating life, she receives an unexplained bouquet, an unexpected call from her mother, an unprecedented girls night out with Christy, and an unhappy moment when her beloved car, Baby H
Published October 5th 2008 by Zondervan Publishing Company (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about On a Whim, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On a Whim

She Walks in Beauty by Siri MitchellThe Healer's Apprentice by Melanie DickersonA Tailor-Made Bride by Karen WitemeyerCourting Morrow Little by Laura FrantzHead in the Clouds by Karen Witemeyer
Best Christian Fiction Book Covers
125th out of 773 books — 696 voters
Redeeming Love by Francine RiversA Voice in the Wind by Francine RiversAn Echo in the Darkness by Francine RiversThe Yada Yada Prayer Group by Neta JacksonThe Master's Plan by Stephany Tullis
Christian Chick Lit
53rd out of 443 books — 469 voters

More lists with this book...

Krystal
As I said, I love these books! My only complaint is that since the seris started, the characters have only aged 7 years and I have aged 21! What's up with that?!?
Jenna
This is the second in the Katie Weldon series of Christian YA fiction, but I recommend reading the entire Christy Miller series (12 books) and Christy & Todd: The College Years (3 books) before starting the Katie series. I'm a stickler for reading in order and Katie and Rick's history goes back to the Christy books. Christy and Todd show up in Katie's books, too.

It's been a long time since I read the Christy and Todd books and I don't remember liking Katie very much. I like her a lot more in
Lauren
Nice book. It's a good read about relationships, friends, finding yourself, and following God. But something kind of bothered me. Katie's a great person! In fact she goes with the flow, she's beautiful, generous, loyal, fun, deep spirited, good at arguing, fearless at speaking her mind, loves the adventure of trying something new, witty, has a loving heart, and on and on... Actually I found all of these within just the first 3 chapters of the book (except for witty, you figure this out yourself ...more
Snorkle
I like seeing things from Katie's perspective after reading a whole series from the view point of her best friend Christy. Katie is spunky and somehow manages to get herself into a bunch of crazy situations and strange encounters. I enjoyed seeing how she got out of her messes and who she met along the way. There were a couple of characters in this book that I was a little confused as to why they were hanging around, but I figured since there was still another book there was plenty of time for t ...more
Maggie Rozean
One of my all-time favorites. It was good to read it again. I had forgotten how it ended. Katie went through some things that most college students go through. I appreciate the mostly realistic life problems and responses she has. Although, I don't know too many college students who suddenly receive a large inheritance from a great aunt they've never met. But it makes for a good plot twist.
Kaylee Buchanan
I never write reviews, but I couldn't help with this one. The Katie Weldon Series is the perfect continuation of the whole Christy Miller Series. As much as I loved Christy, Sierra, and College Years, I have to admit the writing was not superb. It's evident in the Katie Weldon Series just how much Robin Jones Gunn grew as a writer in the time she took away from these characters. Yes, it still has lovey-dovey parts, but it is not super cheesy like the other ones tended to be at times. The charact ...more
Kerith
I recommend reading the whole Christy series before diving into this and its predecessor PECULIAR TREASURES. The characters are very developed and one might feel lost. I've found these new Katie stores to be overly thoughtful with little actually happening. Lots of episodic discussions. Plus her relationship with Rick is just not believable -- in this book it seems Gunn is setting the scene for a breakup anyway. There's the new guy for Katie, and the new girl for Rick. It was so obvious.

The book
Rachel
Katie Weldon-athletic, competitive, spunky redhead-is also good friends with Christy Miller and Sierra Jensen, both of whom are title characters in two other series although many of the stories involve all three friends. Because this series begins when Katie is a senior at college and deals with more complex issues, I think it's better suited to high school seniors and older. At any rate, I really liked the novel and how Katie discovers that she is harboring unforgiveness and pain in her heart; ...more
Virna
I did not like how Katie wait most the story for Rick to say he love her, at the end nothing change.
Olivia Clark✨
Love this series! So many great lessons and you really learn to know the real Katie Weldon!
Jerry
A Quickie Review

Continuing the seemingly never-ending life and times of Christy Miller, Katie Weldon, and friends, this book features Katie continuing to deal with the stresses of everything from her relationship with Rick Doyle, to her car breaking down, to her strained interactions with her mother. Anyone who has enjoyed the books leading up to this one should find plenty to love about it. It also makes a good point: Even when interactions with the opposite gender seemingly stay friendly, they
Eldon
Jun 24, 2010 Eldon rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Eldon by: Amy
Shelves: read-2010, read-2010s
I was a little disappointed with this one, not really sure why. It seemed there were plot lines that didn't go anywhere and Katie seemed less easy to connect with. I hope the next installment "fixes" my uneasiness and ends the series with a "wow" and not an "oh, well."

Update June 24, 2010: Just finished Coming Attractions all uneasiness is forgiven.
Donald
Boring and way too sappy. I understand what the author is doing, creating a world of niceties and wholesomeness, but come on! Let's have a bit of conflict more than, "Why didn't you tell me you were leaving early?"
"Oh, I didn't?"
"No, you didn't."
"Oh, I'm sorry."
"I'm sorry, too." (not actual dialogue, but close)

Not all that well-written, either. It doesn't flow well and is chunky in places.
Jane
Jan 25, 2009 Jane rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009
I don't know what it is about the Katie Weldon books, perhaps I can just relate so well to what happens, but I think they are really great. I liked the first one a bit better than this one, but this was still good. There were a few things in this book that seemed a bit predictable, but then there were some cool surprises as well.
Amandasaved
This book spoke a lot about being a wise steward of finances, pacing a Christian dating relationship wisely and being a woman of discretion all in a fun story. I can't believe I don't have the last book with me! I'll have to run to the library first thing Monday morning.
Kim
Love Robin Jones Gunn. Her books and characters have integrity and purity and I love that! This series and the ones associated are great for single gals holding out for Mr. Right, or to encourage young gals to wait on God's timing and direction in life.
Fala19
4.5 Stars

On a Whim was a great sequel to Peculiar Treasures. It's so much fun to get to know these characters better, to watch all of their ups and downs and to see them learn from their mistakes. I highly recommend this awesome series!
Camille 11-12
It was a pretty good book that was about Katie and her collage year.And her job and all the girls she meets and with her boyfriend,Rick.On a scale from 1-10 I would give it a 7 1/2.I would recomend it to some of my friends (that are girls).
Maura
This book was seriously amazing!!! I couldn't put it down! Robin Jones Gunn's books are truly amazing, they help me in little ways but also in huge ways as well!! I can't wait for the next book to come out!
This was a great book, and I for sure related to Katie since we were both RAs. However, she is probably less relatable for me than both Christy and Sierra. And speaking of, I want to hear more about Sierra!
Lauren
waste of time... so much so that i'm not even going to read the third book (and i never do that - abandon a series partway through) because it's so obvious to me what's going to happen.
Brooke
I thought this book was really good! I liked how Eli was in it more. I think Katie can be to demanding sometimes. I hope in the end she chooses Eli! :0)
Emily
this book... in my opinion... was much better than the first!! the first one was good but this one held my attention and I couldn't put it down!! :D
Rachel
Oh Katie Wheldon, you never cease to amaze me!
Kathryn
June 2015 re-read, audiobook.

May 2014
It was good to see Katie develop as a character and to learn more of her back story.
Kamara
This one drives you crazy if you don't like the whole, "I can't decided what to do with my life" thing. Really good ending though.
Becca
Oct 28, 2008 Becca added it
I love Robin Jones Gunn, and her style of writing. This is for a young adult, and it would be so helpful to girls in college.
Diana
Nice to hear more about Katie, Rick, Christy & the gang. Reading from Katie's perspective is sure different from Christy's.
Kayla Rose
I absolutely LOVE this book! For all of you Christy Miller or Sierra Jensen lovers, this is the continuation of it! I love it.
  • I Do! (Diary of a Teenage: Caitlin, #5)
  • Match Point (Lauren Holbrook, #3)
  • Love Rules
  • Single Sashimi (Sushi, #3)
  • I'm So Sure (The Charmed Life, #2)
  • The Fall of Candy Corn (Sweet Seasons, #2)
  • With This Ring, I'm Confused (Ashley Stockingdale, #3)
  • Without a Trace (Jennie McGrady Mysteries, #5)
41954
ROBIN JONES GUNN is the much loved author of over 85 books. With nearly 5 million copies of her titles sold worldwide, her popular Christy Miller series now continues in Christy & Todd: The Married Years. Her novels and non-fiction works have received multiple awards and are a favorite with book clubs and study groups. Robin and her husband have a grown son and daughter and live in Hawaii.
More about Robin Jones Gunn...

Katie Weldon (4 books)
  • Peculiar Treasures (Katie Weldon, #1)
  • Coming Attractions (Katie Weldon, #3)
  • Finally and Forever (Katie Weldon, #4)
Christy Miller Collection, Vol. 1 (Christy Miller, #1-3) Christy Miller Collection, Vol. 2 (Christy Miller, #4-6) Christy Miller Collection, Vol. 3 (Christy Miller, #7-9) Christy Miller Collection, Vol. 4 (Christy Miller, #10-12) Until Tomorrow (Christy and Todd: College Years #1)

“You know what I think? I think that if a young woman doesn't engage in the act of occasionally wishing on a star or a flower or a birthday cake full of candles, then we're forfeiting one of the sweetest whimsies of our youth.” 98 likes