Start by marking “Love Among the Chickens (Ukridge, #1)” as Want to Read:
Love Among the Chickens (Ukridge, #1)

Love Among the Chickens (Ukridge #1)

3.74  ·  Rating Details ·  2,197 Ratings  ·  275 Reviews
Jeremy Garnet, author, craves peace and quiet. Stanley Featherstonehaugh Ukridge is not the man to provide it. Against his better instincts, Jeremy allows himself to persuaded to help Ukridge run a chicken farm at Combe Regis, Dorsetshire. With the chicken farm located at the top of the hill, everything is bound to go downhill...

Given Ukridge's idiosyncratic management sty
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published January 28th 2006 by Sound Library (first published June 1906)

To ask other readers questions about Love Among the Chickens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Among the Chickens

Marty
Apr 02, 2009 Marty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With each book of Wodehouse's that I finish, it is always with a little bit of regret. Even though P.G. Wodehouse is attributed to over a hundred published works, I've still got quite a bit of my life ahead of me, and it will be a sad day indeed when I've run out of fresh Wodehouse books to read. Oh well, at the very least I can start rereading, and hopefully by then my memory will be going bad, so each reread will feel just like new again.

Anyway, Love Among the Chickens is Wodehouse in true fo
Praj
Dec 31, 2010 Praj rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Stanley Ukridge is no Jeeves,
His eccentricities make others grieve.
Garnet unlike Corky,
Is dull and dorky.
Phyllis is the one he loves,
Woos her like a lonesome dove.
Creditors swarm the farms,
Rummaging chickens with their arms.
Amongst a mass of satiric bliss,
It is acceptable to give this a miss.
Bettie☯
Mar 06, 2014 Bettie☯ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amusing, fraudio
P.G.Wodehouse - Love Among the Chickens - Complete and unabridged Read by Jonathan Cecil

Jonathan Cecil is my favourite reader for P. G. Wodehouse, mainly for his rich rounded vowels, but also because he reads them unabridged, and Wodehouse is an author who rarely wrote an unnecessary word. Love Among the Chickens opens in London, but most of the action takes place in Dorset, which the irrepressible scrounger Stanley Featherstonehaugh Ukridge and his jolly new wife Molly have identified as an ide
Emily
Jul 02, 2013 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A writer, his mooching friend and his friend's new wife start a chicken farm. None of them knows anything about chickens, and hilarity ensues.

The best thing about this book is Wodehouse's wordplay in the scenes with the animals, whether it's Bob the dog or that most sardonic of hens, Aunt Elizabeth. No one does it better.

When I looked up my favorite scene (I had listened to this on a road trip) on my kindle, I discovered that the one on my kindle was the original version from 1906. The audio boo
Trevor
May 08, 2008 Trevor rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature, humour
I didn't enjoy this one nearly as much as the other Wodehouse novels I've read recently.

The main character is a bit dull and was not really enough of him to justify the story. The story was a little too hard to believe - I know, I know, all of the stories are hard to believe, but this one wasn't so much involved in that magical world Wodehouse normally creates and so when it went 'over the top' it left me on the other side.

There is an interesting remark made by one of the female characters that
Jessica
Nov 18, 2016 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I kept thinking of Garnet as "the hapless narrator" but then it occurred to me: he really isn't. The things that are happening to him are happening because he's allowing them to. He must know that having the father of the girl he loves nearly drowned so he can rescue the poor man can't end well. He can plainly see that Ukridge is making a mess of things, yet he merely shrugs it off. He's an odd figure, likable enough, yet not entirely sympathetic. Still and all, the book was fun and funny, as on ...more
Jon
Jun 12, 2012 Jon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd call this classic Wodehouse, if not quite up to his best; and then I realize it's his first novel, written at age 25. Astonishing that he had his characteristic silliness of plot and perfection of tone right from the start. Who else could write such a brilliant three-page description of a man trying and failing to maintain his dignity while trying and failing to catch an errant hen?
Dave
Oct 05, 2009 Dave rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, humor
“Love Among the Chickens” is the first adult oriented Wodehouse story, and introduces Stanley Featherstonehaugh (changed from the original edition spelling: Featherstonhaugh) Ukridge. This is the updated edition of the Wodehouse classic, published originally in May of 1921. This is the better of the editions, as there was a considerable rewrite, tightening up the story, making it more humorous and improving what was already an enjoyable romp. This is the version to read, unless you have a desire ...more
Erin
Sep 08, 2016 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One day I'm with my fiancé when he suddenly turns to me and asks, "What would you think if we were to raise chickens some day?" I think he was a little surprised by my response when I burst out laughing because I happened to be reading this book then, and his timing was quite perfect. Having enjoyed watching the TV show Jeeves and Wooster for several years now, I was excited to read this other work from its author, P.G. Wodehouse. In fact, shortly before beginning this book I had been watching a ...more
Libbeth
Oct 21, 2008 Libbeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1982-to-1989, humour
I will use this "review" for all the P. G. Wodehouse I have read. I read them all so long ago and enjoyed them so much that I have given them all 5 stars. As I re-read them I will adjust the stars accordingly, if necessary, and add a proper review.
When I first discovered P. G. Wodehouse I devoured every book I could find in the local library, throughout the eighties and early nineties. Alas, this means that I have read most of them and stumbling across one I have not read is a rare thing. I'm su
Apr 02, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2013-list
Wodehouse, like Chesterton, is mostly in the public domain, so when I found out that one of my favorite current authors, Daniel McInerny, was inspired by Wodehouse, I may or may not have downloaded everything I could find for my Kindle. I picked Love Among the Chickens to read first because, well, I have chickens. It was a delightful read–and I was glad to have read it on my Kindle because I actually looked up some of the words I didn’t recognize. I’ll be reading more Wodehouse, for sure!
Marts  (Thinker)
Garnet decides to go along with his old school friend Ukridge's plan to run a chicken farm and a series of tumultuous events occur...
Nov 28, 2015 Laura marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laura by: Bettie
Free download available at Project Gutenberg.
Neeraja S
Apr 19, 2011 Neeraja S rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jeremy Garnet is a budding novelist living his modest, literary life in the city. His rambunctious friend Ukridge pays him an unexpected visit with his newly married wife and announces his intention to start a chicken-farm in the country to make a living. Does he know the first thing about chickens? Not much, but Ukridge believes in his hypothesis that eggs are fundamental to every-one's existence, and that if the chickens were given the space to run around and roost and peck a few grains, they ...more
Alice
Mar 08, 2011 Alice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
This took me an embarrassing amount of time to finish, mainly because A) it was on my Kindle and B) It wasn't very good. It's early Wodehouse, and aside from the hilarious title, it was pretty blah. But here're some highlights so you don't need to read it or even think about reading it:

"Ukridge was the sort of man who asks you out to dinner, borrows the money from you to pay the bill, and winds up the evening by embroiling you in a fight with a cabman."

"'My dear old son, he didn't mind being cal
Becky
Lets be fair- any time I read Wodehouse and it isn't a Jeeves story, I miss the regular caste. All the upper class in portrayed in a very Bertie Wooster fashion, but I love my favorites. Still, this was an excellent Wodehouse work. It had all of his usual hilarity and enthusiasm. I even started laughing aloud several times. I'd recommend this as a good departure from the Jeeves collection, even if it is still in the same vein.

Extended:

I’m a huge Wodehouse fan. This is a newly discovered author
Hilary G
Oct 02, 2014 Hilary G rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobooks
I can't believe I am giving a PG Wodehouse book only 2 stars, but I am. I have read all the Jeeves and Wooster books, and some others (Lord Emsworth etc) but this was my first encounter with Ukridge. Based on this book, I don't mind whether I ever encounter him again as I found him obnoxious rather than funny.

I think this might have been the very first Ukridge story, so perhaps the later stories are an improvement. Perhaps I would have liked the book more if I had read it instead of listening to
Temi Sanusi
A light, enjoyable read.

It's not often I read books about chickens, and to be honest, I wouldn't have read it if one of my best friends hadn't asked me to.

The story is about a young author who is invited on a trip by his old friend Mr. Ukridge, to of all things, set up a chicken farm in the country. Along the way he meets a beautiful young woman and her father, who just happen to be heading to the same part of the country the would-be chicken farmers are hoping to set up their farm.

The thing I'
Adam Richter
I downloaded this audiobook because I wanted some light reading. Boy, did this fit the bill. P.G. Wodehouse is a master of disguising frivolous situations as potential world-ending disasters, but his characters are so entertaining -- not necessarily sympathetic, but entertaining -- you don't mind sitting on the edge of your seat to learn the fate of a badly run chicken farm. On many occasions I found myself laughing out loud at "Love Among The Chickens." As I said, this was exactly what I was lo ...more
Cindy
Themes: Love, farming, friendship
Setting: 1920s English chicken farm in the country

I just finished this on audio. I was so pleased to find it at the library, as there's nothing a like a funny book to take your mind off your troubles. Unfortunately, this was not quite as funny as I'd hoped.

Jeremy Garnet is working on his next book when an old friend shows up to invite him in to his latest venture - a chicken farm in the country. Ukridge and his new wife know nothing about chickens, but they are p
Diane
Sep 03, 2016 Diane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
"Love Among the Chickens" was originally published in 1906, which makes it one of PGW's early books. Apparently, the 1921 edition of this novel is better because PGW did a lot of editing that improved the story. Obviously, I listened to the 1906 version.

A novelist (who sounds a little like Wodehouse), Jeremy Garnet, is dragged off to a chicken farm by his "old friend," Stephen Ukridge, who comes across as a con artist, albeit not an entirely successful one. By LibriVox standards, the reader is
Daphne
Nov 02, 2015 Daphne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-audio, quest
My first Wodehouse book, and the first he ever wrote. I thoroughly enjoyed it! Perfect early 1900 British humor. Absolutely had me laughing out loud a few times. Can't wait to dive into the rest of his works.

Listened to the narrated version from the BBC, and the narrator was the perfect choice.
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Although Love Among Chickens is an early Wodehouse piece and lighter reading than his later works, I still enjoyed reading it very much. The chicken farm scenes are quite hilarious and the overall silliness of the novel is very Wodehouse and completely irresistible.
Laurel Hicks
Wot fun! No Bertie and Jeeves here, just the balmy moocher Ukbridge and the slightly less balmy narrator. And a beautiful true love, her reluctant (and balmy) father, and the obligatory water rescue.
Oluchi
Dec 08, 2015 Oluchi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one hilarious tale. The brilliantly crafted character of Ukridge with his crazy schemes and obliviousness to the fact that he is on such shaky ground is guaranteed to make you laugh.
Keith Gapinski
Mar 14, 2013 Keith Gapinski rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: p-g-wodehouse
This was the first of the early Wodehouse books that had the madcap comedy feel that I really learned to love in his later work. Interesting to see him developing as a writer.
Kirsti
May 11, 2011 Kirsti rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Jenny
Delightful story about love, chickens, golf, croquet, tennis, sea-bathing, and fraud.
Lici
May 20, 2013 Lici rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cozy, humorous, a good place to go when the world gets tough.
Evan Leach
Love Among the Chickens represented Wodehouse’s first foray into adult fiction. Prior to Chickens, Wodehouse had focused on children’s or young adult literature, mostly “school stories” set in English boarding schools. These were often humorous, but one couldn’t help but feel like Wodehouse was holding back a bit by fitting his tales to the tastes of younger readers. Happily, that is not an issue with the present novel.

Chickens

In Chickens, a bored novelist (Jeremy Garnet) accepts an offer from his boori
Chris
Dec 31, 2016 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fine earlier novel (1906, revised in 1920 - and its the 1920 version that I read) from Wodehouse, featuring Ukridge. Not as manic and riotous as some of Wodehouse's later novels (1930 onwards, I'd estimate) but plenty of inventive and funny situations, sayings, and uses of language, where the reader is linguistically wrong-footed. For a while I thought Ukridge was my favorite, but I might like Psmith or Mr. Mulliner a bit more. Haven't been able to get into the Blandings Castle stuff really ev ...more
Madison Mega-Mara...: "Love Among the Chickens" by P.G. Wodehouse 1 1 Nov 26, 2013 06:22PM
  • The Wrong Box
  • Miss Cayley's Adventures
  • Theories of Everything: Selected, Collected, and Health-Inspected Cartoons, 1978-2006
  • Wodehouse: A Life
  • Carnival of Crime (Spencer Library)
  • Jeeves and the Wedding Bells (Jeeves, #16)
  • The Provincial Lady in America
  • Lucia Rising
  • Come Back, Como: Winning the Heart of a Reluctant Dog
  • Oh! to be in England
  • When the Storm Passes
  • Shocking True Story: The Rise and Fall of Confidential, "America's Most Scandalous Scandal Magazine"
  • Augustus Carp, Esq. By Himself Being the Autobiography of a Really Good Man
  • The Belton Estate
  • Buried for Pleasure (Gervase Fen, #6)
  • Les Quatre Fils du Dr. March
  • The Darwin Awards Next Evolution: Chlorinating the Gene Pool (Darwin Awards, #5)
  • Us: Americans Talk About Love
Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse, KBE, was a comic writer who enjoyed enormous popular success during a career of more than seventy years and continues to be widely read over 40 years after his death. Despite the political and social upheavals that occurred during his life, much of which was spent in France and the United States, Wodehouse's main canvas remained that of prewar English upper-class so ...more
More about P.G. Wodehouse...

Ukridge (7 books)
  • Ukridge
  • Lord Emsworth and Others (Blandings Castle, #5.5)
  • Eggs, Beans And Crumpets
  • Nothing Serious (Blandings Castle, #7.5)
  • A Few Quick Ones (Jeeves, #11.5)
  • Plum Pie (Jeeves, #13.5)

“If there is one thing I dislike, it is the man who tries to air his grievances when I wish to air mine.” 304 likes
“I am not always good and noble. I am the hero of this story, but I have my off moments.” 198 likes