Start by marking “Owl And The Pussycat (Armada Picture Lions S)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Owl And The Pussycat

Edward Lear

Owl And The Pussycat (Armada Picture Lions S)

4.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,303 Ratings  ·  168 Reviews
In this beautifully illustrated edition of Lear's beloved nonsense poem, Mortimer takes the reader on the delightful voyage of the Owl and the Pussycat, across the sea and into lush jungles, all by the light of the moon. Full color.
Published (first published 1871)

To ask other readers questions about Owl And The Pussycat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Owl And The Pussycat

Jean
The Owl and the Pussycat and other nonsense is a book of Edward Lear's eccentric and unique comic verse, published in 2012 to celebrate the bicentenary of the author's birth. It is lavishly illustrated with watercolour paintings by the Australian artist, Robert Ingpen. This is a happy combination, as Ingpen's depictions, based on Australian flora, seem to be a perfect fit for Lear's imagined Bong-tree Land.

Edward Lear was one of 20 children. He suffered from epilepsy, and had a very unhappy chi
Dolly
Apr 30, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We recently read Miss Smith Under the Ocean, which references a lot of classic tales. Our oldest was intrigued by the mention of the poem of "The Owl and the Pussycat", so I borrowed a couple of different picture-book versions of this classic poem so she could hear the whole thing.

This version has colorful mixed-media illustrations that are very expressive and abstract. It's very different from Jan Brett's illustrated version of the poem, and we enjoyed comparing the two books. Later on, we rea
Smeg
May 23, 2014 Smeg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the version with the illustrations by Wendy Straw and yes, it is a children's book.

Ricky Gervais spiked my interest when he quoted the line "In a beautiful pea-green boat:" referring to one of Karl Pilkington's ramblings that fuse reality with fantasy.
It sounded to me like this story should be common knowledge. I looked up the book and author and decided I wanted to know more. As I am a fan of Spike Milligan I found that Edward Lear is right up my alley.
The Owl And The Pussycat is a ro
Sarah Barrington
Aug 19, 2014 Sarah Barrington rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uel
The Owl and the Pussycat is a classic nonsense poem by Edward Lear, and has long been one of my favourite books since I was a young child. There are many versions of the poem with different illustrations, but they are always beautiful to look at and really engaging for young readers. The poem is a love story between two anthropomorphic characters, the owl and the pussycat, and follows them as they get engaged and search for a ring. We meet various other silly characters throughout the poem, and ...more
Becky
Mar 02, 2008 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids age 2 and up, owl-n-pussycat lovers
Jan Brett's Caribbean-inspired illustrations for the classic Edward Lear poem are teeming with life, and the effect is stunning. The colors, textures, and shapes are a visual treat. Each page also has a different pattern of "straw" border, adorned with a different tropical flower.

The pictures overflow with detail, to the point where there's even a sub-story (pardon the pun) involving two yellow fish.

I didn't give it the full 5 stars because the way the text is broken up across spreads makes it d
Esther Barajikian
"The Owl and the Pussycat" is a classic poem written by Edward Leer that was first published in the 19th century. This book, illustrated by Anne Wilson presents the love story of two unlikely lovers in a charming and whimsical way. Combining several different techniques, her use of brilliant colors, creative lines and surrealistic images carries the reader into a wonderful make-believe world by means of a beautiful pea-green boat.

The author use of rhyming couplets, simple rhythm, and patterned
Agne Jakubauskaite
I am not a fan of dressed up realistic-looking animals. Therefore, I liked this poem better when I first read it in a plain text format without any illustrations. Nonetheless, Jen Brett's illustrations are gorgeous, and I loved the side story she told in her artwork.
Andrea Hussey
23 pages

I was supposed to pick out a Golden Book for a baby shower, the one with the oldest publication date wins a prize, so I stumbled across this book and I was so flustered by the title I put it down to think about. I was also turned off by the owl and “pussy” cat marriage I said to my sister how perverted that was and it put an image in my head that wasn’t pleasant. I always find interspecies mating to be perverse, no matter that these two only got married, it still put an image of the two
Thom Dunn
May 10, 2011 Thom Dunn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recall the first time I saw a runcible spoon and nearly fainted with nostalgia, remembering my mother's reading of this to me from MY BOOK HOUSE. Thanks again, Mom.
Riven
Sep 25, 2011 Riven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘The Owl and the Pussy Cat’ is the much loved children’s classic written by Edward Lear and the version I found in my library contains updated illustrations by Louise Voce. It follows the whimsical journey of the eponymous duo as they set to sea, get engaged and search for a ring.

The nonsense poetry has some lovely lines although some of the language has certainly dated and could be considered a tad risqué these days (“Oh lovely pussy” etc) however its main audience is unlikely to be aware of an
Maria
Jun 02, 2008 Maria rated it liked it
I should probably start a shelf called Children's Books That Are Not Good for Children. This is one of those books I would ut on that shelf. I find Lear's rhymes to be very strange. These have a very nice sound to them but I think they are inaccessible. I remember feeling the same way about Alice In Wonderland as a child. But I suppose different children feel differently so it would be better to expose them to things and let them make their own decisions. As an adult I enjoy the oddity. Dale Max ...more
Karen
Jul 14, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are many illustrated version of Edward Lear's The Owl and the Pussycat -- some are so breathtakingly gorgeous but lack the silliness of this story, some are cartoony and have no depth, and some are so deep they tread some very disturbing waters -- so far, though, this is my favorite version.

Jan Brett's illustrations, as always are colorful, well-rendered and quite lovely; and, as usual, somewhat jarring. That's what makes them so perfect for Edward Lear. Edward Lear's writings fall somewhe
Shanna Gonzalez
Feb 15, 2011 Shanna Gonzalez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-00-04
Edward Lear's classic rhyme comes to sparking life in Jan Brett's lively and original interpretation. It opens with a charming scene with Pussycat's parents looking on fondly, while Owl kneels before her, she regarding him with an enigmatic look. The courtship proceeds over glassy seas with idyllic views above and below water, and even children who are romantic nature of the story will wish they could visit "the place where the bong-tree grows."

Brett's illustrations are lush, vibrant, and rich i
Siobhan
A wonderful read from my childhood, one I’d certainly suggest for other youngsters. Whilst it is not my all-time favourite childhood read I can still recall all the details of this one meaning it certainly left a lasting impression upon my young mind.

And isn’t that what we want with children’s books, for them to leave a positive lasting impression?
A
Apr 13, 2014 A rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
So, I bought this at a used bookstore, because the pictures were absolutely beautiful. I suppose this is why I should learn to prescreen the books I buy my daughter. When reading this one, neither me nor my daughter were very impressed. I almost put it down to start a new one, because of how squirrely she started to get (she's two) but I finished it. It's not a horrible book, but it's just a meh one. I'm happy I didn't buy it new. Though I make a point to only buy books I have previously read wh ...more
Henry Martin
I'm giving this one three stars, but mostly because of the huge wow factor. The illustrations are so vivid and the poem so surreal, that the first thing that came to mind is a LSD trip.

The kids seem to love it though.

Fawls13
I had never read this book before we read it to my son. It is an odd book.

Owls and pussycats together, in love and taking to water in a boat. Then there is this stanza:
"O lovely Pussy, O Pussy, my love,
What a beautiful Pussy you are,
You are,
You are!
What a beautiful Pussy you are!"

And then,
"They sailed away, for a year and a day,
To the land where the bong-tree grows..."

where one expects they may meet Cheech and Chong, but no,
"...there in a wood a Piggy-wig stood,
With a ring at the end of his nose
Aleta
Jul 12, 2013 Aleta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
It's impossible to tell here, but the specific edition I'm reviewing is The Owl & the Pussy-Cat & Other Nonsense by Edward Lear, with illustrations by Owen Wood (1978, Viking Press). It includes eight short verses by Lear in addition to TO&tPC. Wood's intricate illustrations are gorgeous, and invite return visits, as I have done many a time over the years. This was one of the books that my parents kept on their shelves, and I'm glad they did - it survived where some of our other chil ...more
Hester Enthoven
Mar 09, 2015 Hester Enthoven rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Owl and the Pussycat set out to sea in a "beautiful pea-green boat", they take "some honey, and plenty of money, wrapped up in a five-pound note." This is a short story (well poem in fact) in which the owl serenades the Pussycat, they fall in love, sail "away for a year and a day" until their adventure takes them to to the "land where to Bong Tree grows". It is here they are married "by the turkey who lives on the hill."

The Owl and the Pussycat is written in nonsense verse so uses rhyme and
Mimi
This book is about an owl and a cat who are in love and they go on a journey together across the sea to get married. This book would be great for teaching poetry and different styles of writing. I personally love this book because I read it when I was in kindergarten to a group of students at my school. We had a program "read to succeed" and I had my picture in the newspaper reading to children older than me.
Kit Pang
Jan 22, 2016 Kit Pang rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deanna
Nov 20, 2008 Deanna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Okay dumb. I have a hard time imagining an owl and a pussycat getting married by a turkey...wierd....I'm sure I'm reading way more into it. Yes, I know it's all "nonsense" but some nonsense I struggle with.

Good illustrations though...
Maria
I have no words for this book. It's wierd and not at all what i expected.
And the stanza that goes something like this; oh what a lovely pussy you are. say what? who would write that in a childrens book. Not good, not good
Tiny Mendoza
It was ok, but I didn't liked it that much. I mean, how can an owl and a cat be married? I know it's supposed to be fictional and all, but I think it's just absurd. Sorry. I guess, am not artistic or creative enough.
Imelda
Jul 19, 2012 Imelda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-the-kiddos
I love this poem. What I love even more in this particular book, are the illustrations. I've read this to both of my children, over and over and over. An all time classic and just gorgeous pictures.
Cyne-Burh
May 13, 2014 Cyne-Burh rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tinky
I had never read this book prior to reading it to my 2 and half year old daughter... and I wish I had.
This book was so weird and I felt almost kind of inappropriate with the word choices.
Jeanne O'Hara
Genre: poetry

This book, a nonsense poem by Edward Lear, is illustrated by Jan Brett. Brett's illustrations bring this colorful poem to life.

This was a favorite in our house. My husband loved this poem--his father had read it to him and his siblings when he was a child. When I found this version with the beautiful pictures, it quickly became a nightly ritual. Our children could recite the lines with him, and could recite the lines just from looking at the pictures.

I would use this as a read alou
Steph
Aug 14, 2014 Steph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stephane Jorisch, amazing illustrations.
Canadian Children's Book Centre
Once again the Kids Can Press Visions in Poetry series offers a stunning book. First published in 1871, The Owl and the Pussycat is one of Edward Lear’s most famous nonsense poems. It is a charming tale of love between two anthropomorphized animals: an owl and a cat. The poem features fantastical creatures such as a “piggy wig,” and made up objects such as the “runcible spoon.” Such creations are ripe for imaginative interpretations and the poem has indeed been illustrated, animated and set to m ...more
April
  • George Washington's Breakfast
  • Lost in the Woods
  • Pelle's New Suit
  • Over in the Meadow
Edward Lear was an English artist, illustrator and writer known for his literary nonsense, in poetry and prose, and especially his limericks, a form which he popularized.

For more information, please see http://www.answers.com/topic/edward-lear

More about Edward Lear...

“And hand in hand, on the edge of the sand,
They danced by the light of the moon.”
2049 likes
“They dined on mince, and slices of quince
Which they ate with a runcible spoon;
And hand in hand, on the edge of the sand,
They danced by the light of the moon.”
59 likes