Start by marking “Avalanche (Sheriff Bo Tully, #2)” as Want to Read:
Avalanche (Sheriff Bo Tully, #2)

Avalanche (Sheriff Bo Tully #2)

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  428 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
SHERIFF BO TULLY OF BLIGHT COUNTY, IDAHO, IS BACK.When the call comes in that Mike Wilson, the unlikable owner of West Branch Lodge, has gone missing, Sheriff Tully is delighted. This is an excellent opportunity for Tully, his tracker pal Dave, and his retired sheriff father, Pap, to enjoy a few evenings of hot tubs and single-malt scotch at the luxurious lodge while worki ...more
Published March 27th 2007 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Avalanche, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Avalanche

Dj
Apr 06, 2015 Dj rated it really liked it
When someone recommends that I read a book, I generally check out the other books they have wrote. In this case I didn't have to, I have read some of the other books that Patrick F. McManus has written. Such wonderful wonders of comic relief like 'The Grasshopper Trap' 'They Shoot Canoes Don't They?' and of course...'Real Ponies Don't go Onik.' with such a line up how bad could one of his serious mysteries be? Well for one thing I would think it would depend a lot on your definition of serious. ...more
Jaeger Matthias
very good. i like Patrick McManus because it is so funny!
Kayeb
Nov 05, 2009 Kayeb rated it really liked it
SHERIFF BO TULLY OF BLIGHT COUNTY, IDAHO, IS BACK.

Just plain and simple, a fun read, quirky conversation and perspsectives at times, and a few twists and turns in the story line.

M.
I had never heard of Patrick J. McManus prior to reading Avalanche, but now I have an idea of what his columns in Outdoor Life and Field & Stream must be like: comical but with a purpose.

That is how Avalanche was to me...a book with many funny (even silly) moments, but with a fine mystery plot underneath it all. Sheriff Bo Tully is instantly likeable to the reader (even moreso to nearly every female character in this book, including the married and the senior citizens), but not superficial b
Maddy
May 29, 2014 Maddy rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008-reads
PROTAGONIST: Sheriff Bo Tully
SETTING: Blight County, Idaho
SERIES: #2 of 2
RATING: 3.0

You wouldn't think that being a law enforcement official in Blight County, Idaho, would keep you very busy. Surprisingly, Sheriff Bo Tully and the folks in his department usually find themselves very involved in strange goings-on in the area. This time, Bo receives a call from the owner of a local ski lodge that her husband, Mike Wilson, has disappeared. Nobody is crying about him being gone, but it is strange th
Don
Jan 16, 2016 Don rated it it was amazing
If you have never read any of Patrick F. McManus' short stories you are missing out on a great laugh. You are actually missing out on a great many, because the more you read the more you realize how many situations in life have a McManus parallel.
Avalanche is the second Bo Tulley mystery novel written by McManus. As a long time fan of Patrick McManus I am impressed with his switch to novels (though I still subscribe to "Outdoor Life" just to read his short stories every month). Avalanche was a
LJ
AVALANCHE (Police Proc-Sheriff Bo Tully-Idaho-Cont) – Poor
McManus, Patrick F. – 2nd in series
Simon & Schuster, 2007, US Hardcover – ISBN: 9781416532651
First Sentence: He stood at window studiously watching the large fluffy snowflakes fill up his mother’s backyard.
*** Sheriff Bo Tully and his father, Pap, head to West Branch Lodge to investigate the disappearance of lodge owner Mike Wilson. They barely escape being caught in an avalanche but are now cut off and must proceed with their investi
Tasula
Aug 27, 2014 Tasula rated it liked it
Light amusement, second in series about VERY small town sheriff Bo Tully (sheriff is an inherited position in that town). He has been a widower for 10 years, and drags his 70+ year old lecher father and a fake Indian diner owner with him on all his murder investigations.
Maria
Sheriff Bo Tully is called up the mountain to find the missing owner of West Branch Lodge outside of Blight, Idaho. Mike Wilson is the kind of person, that not many people miss, so there are plenty of suspects to keep him and Pap busy when an avalanche traps them and all the guests at the lodge.

Why I started it: Couldn't decide what book to finish in my books that I was reading, so I picked up this one and finished it first.

Why I finished it: I liked this book better than the first, mostly becau
Pastor Don
Aug 09, 2014 Pastor Don rated it it was amazing
Fun book with great characters! I'm going to read whole series now.
Isla McKetta
Feb 02, 2014 Isla McKetta rated it liked it
I've always loved McManus and was delighted to see him start up with mysteries. A fun, quick read.
Mark Moxley-Knapp
Jan 24, 2016 Mark Moxley-Knapp rated it really liked it
Another funny murder story from McManus.
Disparlure Nagle
Feb 07, 2010 Disparlure Nagle rated it liked it
This book was just like his childhood stories, but with a little bit of Sam Spade mixed in. I would definitely recommend this more to someone who appreciated McManus's earlier works rather than someone who is a big fan of the mystery genre. I did note that there was this persistent high level, somewhat-over-the-top swagger by the lead character. I wasn't sure whether McManus was making fun of the "hard-boiled detective" archetype of if this was just the way he thought a detective story should re ...more
Sara
Jul 17, 2014 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy Read/Not too complicated - Enjoyable.
GV
Oct 08, 2014 GV rated it really liked it
Another fun McManus book!
Ed
Aug 06, 2014 Ed rated it liked it
OK follow up to book #1 in the series.
Justin Regenscheid
The beginning of this book started off slow. once it got going it started to get faster and way much more intersting, it just makes you not wanna stop reading. so far i think this book is very exelent and is very thrilling.
this book is an excelent book it was a mystery throguht out the whole book so it caught my eye to where i didnt want to put the book down, i always wanted to know what was going to happen next. so it is a very good book to read.
Michelle
Aug 13, 2009 Michelle rated it liked it
We've listened to a lot of the Patrick McManus books on tape about outdoorsmen and hunting and growing up in Idaho and got a lot of laughs. This was different than those, but still his dry humorous style that we like.
It was an unusual mystery because of the "women" and sheriff who thinks everyone loves him, etc. but goes right along with McManus' style, and it was a nice read, and not a bad mystery either.
Kay
Sep 17, 2008 Kay rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, humor
This is McManus's second "Sheriff Bo Tully" book and my second McManus book. What can you say about a story that includes an avalanche purposely set to kill Bo, a retired sheriff (Bo's father) who's greatest desire is to shoot someone -- anyone, a group of extreme-living fraternity boys, a suspicious bartender and one of Bo's old flame -- who'd like to re-kindle that flame?
Renée Mee
Sep 08, 2013 Renée Mee rated it really liked it
McManus is not an incredible writer but an entertainer he is. He writes with great humour and I thoroughly enjoyed this book from beginning to end. I hope he keeps writing his sheriff Tully series with its real characters who are all too human. Going to hunt down the few other books in this series. Nice to have a mystery and a smile on your face.
William
Dec 15, 2012 William rated it it was amazing
There are times that McManus draws upon earlier life experiences that are collected in his articles. However, it never feels stilted, and the way he presents them in these mysteries evokes a feeling of a favorite place revisited. Always a pleasure to read, once you start this series it is difficult to put down!
Jessica
Oct 28, 2012 Jessica rated it liked it
This was a humorous mystery by one of my favorite authors. I just discovered his mysteries. The main character, Sheriff Bo Tully, is pretty full of himself. He still misses his wife who died 10 years previously. He is a sheriff/artist. I enjoy his relationship with his "pap".
Bridget
I have no idea why this book is still in my currently reading list. I finished it ages ago. It was another fun and entertaining full-length McManus romp. I'm just guessing at my finish date based on the open dates between book number one and his "how-to write humor" book.
Terry
Jan 28, 2010 Terry rated it it was ok
Should have worked for my demographic (outdoorsy, Western, police procedural)--but didn't. That said, this would work for someone wanting an easy, funny read--sort of a guys version of a culinary cozy, if you will. Idaho. Sheriff Bo Tully. I didn't finish.
Karla
Aug 29, 2008 Karla rated it it was ok
Eh.
I expected more from someone who almost shares my last name and is writing about Idaho. As a mystery it wasn't very mysterious, and as humor it wasn't that funny. Unless you are trapped in a remote cabin with nothing else to read, don't bother.
Dec 17, 2007 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
This is Pat McManus' second Bo Tully mystery, and it is an improvement over the first in the series. It has a returning cast of eccentric, outdoorsy characters and a much better crafted mystery. An enjoyable read for fans of the author.
Robb Menlove
Dec 03, 2010 Robb Menlove rated it liked it
Another fun read from the greatest outdoor humorist. Delightful, quick read that is great for a snowy day. Good mystery. Enough clues to get some of the mystery, but plenty of surprises. I read everything he writes.
William
As always, Patrick McManus made me smile. This is his version of a mystery: set in the wilds of Idaho, lovable/laughable characters, and a twisted sense of humor. This is a very easy read and perfect for a cold winter night.
Cindy
May 04, 2009 Cindy rated it liked it
The sequel to Blight Way, pretty good although I can see it getting predictable in a hurry if I keep reading the series. I don't know if there are any more in this series, however, so I'm safe for now.
Lois
May 22, 2013 Lois rated it liked it
Bo continues to be be an amiable, amusing guy, and I like his gang. In this volume, Bo gets trapped up at a ski lodge by an avalanche, which hampers his investigation of a death.

Nicely done.
  • The Truth of Me
  • The Hoard of the Doges
  • Dancing Aztecs
  • Dying for a Dance (Laurel McKay Mysteries #2)
  • William Tell Told Again
  • Cupcakes, Lies, and Dead Guys (Annie Graceland Mystery, #1)
  • Motherhood is Murder (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #2)
  • Peter Duck: A Treasure Hunt in the Caribbees (Swallows and Amazons, #3)
  • Murder, Lies and Chocolate
  • Freddy and the Bean Home News
  • Classics to Read Aloud to Your Children: Selections from Shakespeare, Twain, Dickens, O.Henry, London, Longfellow, Irving Aesop, Homer, Cervantes, Hawthorne, and More
  • Motherhood Is Murder
  • High-Stakes Holiday Reunion (The Security Experts, #3)
  • Deadly Crossing (Tom Dugan #3)
  • Rise of the Dunamy
  • Hot Chocolate
  • Alleinstehender Psychopath sucht Gleichgesinnte (Andrew Mayham, #2)
  • Vatican Knights (Vatican Knights, #1)
Patrick F. McManus is an American outdoor humor writer. A humor columnist for Outdoor Life and other magazines, his columns have been collected in several books.

Series:
* Sheriff Bo Tully
More about Patrick F. McManus...

Sheriff Bo Tully (6 books)
  • The Blight Way (Sheriff Bo Tully, #1)
  • The Double-Jack Murders (Sheriff Bo Tully, #3)
  • The Huckleberry Murders: A Sheriff Bo Tully Mystery