Start by marking “How I Got This Way” as Want to Read:
How I Got This Way

How I Got This Way

Patrick McManus, the bestselling author of such hilarious books as A Fine and Pleasant Misery and Never Sniff a Gift Fish, now offers readers solid thoughts on the qualities that define leadership, beginning with the need to be tall, and much more, in this outrageous collection of short pieces that reveals his tortuous trip along the writer's path.
Published October 15th 1995 by Holt Paperbacks (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about How I Got This Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How I Got This Way

Apr 04, 2012 Kristin rated it really liked it
This is a good book to read when you don't want to ponder over what you are reading or you feel like reading but don't have a lot of time to devote to a whole book. Each chapter is a different story about the author's life as an outdoorsman. Warning: You WILL laugh your head off!!
Jim Fromm
Apr 17, 2014 Jim Fromm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Hero

Patrick McManus is my hero and he has been for over twenty years. His concise technical language, and professional pursuit of each endeavor is truly an inspiration. Patrick and his cadre of elitist friends, who treat each activity as a work of art, humble my most well planned efforts. There is no possibility me or one of my struggling companions will ever measure up to their benchmark. Every outdoor pursuit should have a standard bearer of this caliber. Mr McManus also writes.
Jul 06, 2015 Serena rated it liked it
Shelves: humor
My Rating System:
L.K. Evans

This is a challenging review for me to write. I’ve not read something that could remotely be considered close to this genre since high school. I like my fiction. I only picked this up because a dear friend recommended it, and I trust his opinions. We have the same type of humor: slightly warped, dry, and nicely laced with sarcasm. So I took forever to pick it up, and I only did so after he had a handy copy available when we last met in November. I read the first chapter and—just as he
Jan 29, 2008 Bonnie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
I would suggest any of Patrick McManus's books to anyone. They are generally books of short, humorous essays on hiking, camping, growing up on a farm, and so on. This one (How I Got This Way) happens to be one of my favorites. All of his short humor is G-rated for the most part, with a few scatological references. However, kids will not "get" the humor for the most part -- for all that he writes red-neck humor, McManus is quite sophisticated.

McManus also writes the Sheriff Bo Tully mysteries, w
James Rickett
Jan 20, 2015 James Rickett rated it it was amazing
Saying this or any other book by Pat McManus is funny is a bit like saying the ocean is wet. News flash for those who read it as an autobiography or a work of non-fiction: it's roughly as autobiographical and factual as Mark Twain's "Roughing It" and "The Innocents Abroad." All Pat's stories are told in the first person, and many of them probably have a kernel of truth somewhere, but you'll need to dig for it. Personally, I have my doubts about "The Night the Bear Ate Goombaw," but you can make ...more
Apr 03, 2016 Brian rated it it was amazing
Absolutely HILARIOUS ! I have never laughed so hard or for soooo long reading a book. Many of the situations are ones that could happen to almost anyone..... Well almost ! The his book was so hard to put down and my laughter continued well after I had finished the book as I recalled the events in the book. A well polished and down to earth author well experienced in the great outdoors and the many calamities that can, and often do, occur.
Sep 02, 2008 Kelly rated it it was amazing
I love Patrick McManus's books! They are laugh out loud funny! I guess because I love the outdoors and I always went exploring as a kid. I think his stories are just so funny! These stories are great for the car because they are all short stories. Of course with all of his books some stories are better than others but definitely a must read for outdoor enthusiasts.
Jan 26, 2008 Karen rated it it was amazing
All of Patrick McManus books are great short stories for all ages. I read them to the girls when they were little and we would laugh so had that I could hardly read. A sports writer that has a great sense for humor! Great for all ages.
May 14, 2012 Angel added it
Listening to this book on CD in my car. I'm driving around like a grinning idiot laughing my butt off. People must think I'm crazy! Didn't finish the entire set just picked through and listened to parts.

Jun 29, 2016 MisterFweem rated it liked it
I've been a Pat McManus fan for donkey's years, but this is the first time I read the first essay in this book, "How I Got This Way, Part I." And it's okay. The rest of the book is better. There are a few chuckles in the book, but his earlier work is better.
Ri Jimenez
Mar 31, 2016 Ri Jimenez rated it really liked it
humorous. I cant get enough of this book, will definitely reread this over and over again.
Very Similar to Filipino author; Bob Ong's ABNKKBSNPLAK.
May 04, 2012 Kenny rated it liked it
I've been reading his stories since I was a kid. This one wasn't as good as most but some of the stories were hilarious. Worth reading.
Nov 18, 2013 Erika rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Perfect audiobook! This book contains many short funny anecdotes. I love audiobooks with anecdotes because if you zone out and miss something you're not lost for the rest of the book.
Lady of the Lake
Jun 18, 2012 Lady of the Lake rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoy funny life stories without modern slang and curses.
Really funny clean humor. Life stories that are just so funny. It's rare to hear humorist not depending on vulgar terms and curse words. It's nice to hear this type of humor for a change!
Sep 12, 2012 Lori rated it it was amazing
You can't beat Patrick McManus' great books. Funny - often hysterical. You'll especially love them if you're a an avid outdoorsman or woman. I plan to read them again.
Amelia Treader
Sep 10, 2014 Amelia Treader rated it it was amazing
His interludes about learning to be an author really strike home. A bit more about hunting and 'manly bonding' than I can quite appreciate, but still hilarious.
Feb 15, 2014 Ellen rated it liked it
Funny short episodes which often ramble a lot. I read many of them to Bill and we laughed. I listened to the audio version.
Jim Corn
Mar 02, 2008 Jim Corn rated it really liked it
Another must have from Mr McManus. This man is funny with great stories of his childhood hunting fishing and the great outdoors.
I just picked it up at the library becasue I liked the title and cover. It was hilarous I loved it! He'a an outdoor humorist.
Philip Burnett
Jan 26, 2010 Philip Burnett rated it really liked it
Hillarious redneck/outdoors humor. Has left tears in my eyes because I was laughing so hard. It helps to have a family that came from the rural west.
I love books about writing and this is no exception. filled with tongue in cheek humor. exaggerated fish tales. and trademark hyperbole. easy to return to again and again.
Sep 18, 2008 Trevor rated it really liked it
So funny! Patrick McManus does not let down with this book at all! Just great for an all around laugh!
Karolinde (Kari)
Mar 24, 2010 Karolinde (Kari) rated it really liked it
There are some really hysterical stories in this volume. I especially enjoy his musings on "Mafia shirts."
R.N. Skye
R.N. Skye rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2013
~Megan~ rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2009
Melody_13_21 rated it liked it
May 15, 2015
Jason rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2011
Quentin Smith
Quentin Smith rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2013
Glamourcat rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2011
  • If You Didn't Bring Jerky, What Did I Just Eat?: Misadventures in Hunting, Fishing, and the Wilds of Suburbia
  • Negro President: Jefferson and the Slave Power
  • Dave Barry Turns Forty
  • Don't Bend Over in the Garden, Granny, You Know Them Taters Got Eyes
  • Learning to Sing: Hearing the Music in Your Life
  • Write More Good: An Absolutely Phony Guide
  • Five-Finger Discount: A Crooked Family History
  • Listen! The Wind
  • The Groo Adventurer (Groo the Wanderer, #1-4)
  • Ashes for the Elephant God
  • The Mysterious Hideaway (Adventures of the Northwoods #6)
  • Standing in a River Waving a Stick
  • Chicken Poop for the Soul: Stories to Harden the Heart and Dampen the Spirit
  • At Wit's End
  • Motherhood and Hollywood: How to Get a Job Like Mine
  • The Power of Compassion: A Collection of Lectures by His Holiness the XIV Dalai Lama
  • Fauna and Family
  • A Naturalist Buys an Old Farm
Patrick F. McManus is an American outdoor humor writer. A humor columnist for Outdoor Life and other magazines, his columns have been collected in several books.

* Sheriff Bo Tully
More about Patrick F. McManus...