Start by marking “Disturbing the Dead (Rachel Goddard Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
Disturbing the Dead (Rachel Goddard Mystery, #2)

Disturbing the Dead (Rachel Goddard Mystery #2)

Tom Bridger, who is half Melungeon, thought he had escaped his mountain community's lingering prejudice against the mixed-race group when he left to work for the Richmond, Virginia Police Department. Tom was moving up the detective ranks when a family tragedy brought him back home and moved him into his fatheras job as a county sheriff's deputy.
Now the bones of a Melungeo
Published May 1st 2008 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published March 9th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Disturbing the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Disturbing the Dead

Linda
Dr. Rachel Goddard has returned in DISTURBING THE DEAD but it is a different time and place. Two years have passed since she found out the truth about her childhood. She has recently bought a veterinary practice in the Appalachian mountains and is trying to settle in. This time she is caught between a crazy man bent on harming her and trying to befriend the citizens of her newly adopted town.

At the same time Deputy Chief Tom Bridger is attracted to Rachel but she is still trying to recover from
Fictionophile
Family secrets in a rural mountain community are the basis for making a cold-case very very hot again. When human bones are found on a mountain top, they are identified as a women who went missing ten years previously. And it was not just any woman, it was the beautiful mixed-race wife of a wealthy white man prominent in the community. It was also Tom Bridger's father's only unsolved case, and Tom feels he owes it to his dead father to close the file once and for all.

Tom, a sheriff's deputy, is
Barb Radmore
Sandra Parshall's debut novel, The Heat of the Moon, has been nominated for an Agatha Award for First Novel and her talent shows no sign of stopping. Her follow up novel, Disturbing the Dead, continues the story of veterinarian Rachel Goddard.

Rachel has bought a veterinary clinic and is happily settling into her new life. She is content with her status as single woman, business owner, and friend. Her hopes for peace and quiet in her daily life are dashed by a local scandal from the past. A skull
Nikki
After enjoying Sandra Parshall's BROKEN PLACES earlier in the year, I realized I'd skipped the second book in her series.
DISTURBING THE DEAD finds veterinarian Rachel Goddard rebuilding her
life in a small town in southern Virginia, having left a lot of trauma
behind along with an overly-controlling boyfriend. Sheriff's deputy
Tom Bridger is also dealing with a tragic past, and he's beginning to
fall in love with Rachel. The discovery of a long-buried body on a
local mountain begins to solve the myst
Paris        (kerbytejas)
Dec 31, 2015 Paris (kerbytejas) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
lots of twists and turns in this one...very enjoyable
Bonnie
Feb 12, 2017 Bonnie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As soon as I finished book one in this series (the debut for this author), I purchased and read this one -- book 2. It was a story that kept me guessing from the start. I want to read more books by this author especially those in this series. I am a fan of Rachel Goddard and want to see what her next adventure is!
Sheila
Skeletons of 3 women are found in the mountains and they all seem to lead to long kept secrets of one family.
Carla Patterson
Apr 03, 2015 Carla Patterson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-challenge
I listen to a lot of audiobooks after having had a neck injury which makes reading a regular book painful - before that, I roamed libraries far and near for new books to read. Now, I end up browsing the online offerings at all of the SF Bay Area libraries to see if I can find something I haven't read yet and might enjoy. It's can be a daunting task since my tastes don't fit what's popular a lot of the time. Over the years, I've learned to enjoy genres I never had an interest in simply because th ...more
Linda Strong
Jan 10, 2015 Linda Strong rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
This is the second in a series about Rachel Goddard, veterinarian. In her first book, The Heat of the Moon we learn who Rachel really is ... and she also finds out. In this, her second book, some time has passed. She has moved away and opened her own veterinarian practice in a small town where she meets Tom Bridger, previous Virginia State Police, and now the County Sheriff Department.

The bones of a Melungeon woman are found in the mountains 10 years after she disappeared. While trolling the gro
Cheryl Landmark
Sep 29, 2014 Cheryl Landmark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was not so much a Rachel Goddard mystery as it was a Tom Bridger mystery. But, it was a thoroughly enthralling and exciting read, nevertheless.

The main focus was on Tom, a sheriff’s deputy and half Melungeon (a mixed race of Portuguese and Native American), who was fiercely determined to solve the only case his late father had failed to close—the decades-old murder of Pauline McClure, a Melungeon woman who had been married to a rich, white businessman in the community in the Appalachia
Nolan
Jan 13, 2016 Nolan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
In the second book of the Rachel Goddard series, Rachel has moved to a small community where she hopes to escape the violence and memories of her past. She has opened a veterinary practice in town, and one of her patients is a dog owned by the deputy sheriff, Tom Bridger; he, too, has come to the town in hope of making a fresh start. But that's harder for him, since his family is from the community, and his dad was a cop.

As the book opens, Tom is late picking up his dog from Rachel. Bones and a
Debbie Heaton
In Parshall’s mystery novel, Dr. Rachel Goddard is all too familiar with the desire to start over. She hires Holly Turner to work at her new Appalachian veterinary clinic and hopes that each of them will be able to have a fresh start. One day the skeleton of Holly’s wealthy Aunt Pauline is found along with another unidentified body. Holly’s family is abusive and manipulative and they try everything to encourage her to return home. As the crime is investigated, numerous suspects are identified al ...more
Alicia
Feb 16, 2014 Alicia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book as part of a monthly book shipment club. I suspected this was a series but I've never read the first book. This book didn't draw me into the story as well as I would have hoped. Rachel is a vet setting up her new practice in the Appalacians. Tom is a deputy who is part of a search team that discovers old skeletal remains on the mountain. When Tom stops by Rachel's practice to pick up his dog, he tells her about Holly who might be a good fit to work in the office. Rachel, Tom ...more
Pamela
Jul 10, 2016 Pamela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two years after Rachel Goddard, DVM has uncovered the secrets her mother kept from her and her sister, we find her living in Mason County, VA, where she has bought her own animal clinic. She comes to the aid of a young woman whose family has dark secrets and is very controlling, much like her own mother was.

The mystery involves people who are not who they say they are or seem to be. It twisted quite a bit and kept me guessing.

I would have given the book 5 stars, but one of the story threads was
Maddy
Nov 27, 2009 Maddy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007-reads
PROTAGONIST: Tom Bridger
SERIES: #2 of 2
RATING: 2.75
WHY: Parshall has a flowing, readable writing style. However, characterization was weak; predictable romance stuff; and the plot pulled out one of those assumed identity devices. Secondarily, the author is in love with shoulders. There are dozens and dozens of references to shoulders - they are grasped, patted, held, touched, stroked, rubbed - it got so bad that instead of paying attention to the plot, I was weirdly waiting for the next shoulder
Allisonwcraig
Jul 11, 2012 Allisonwcraig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: love, mystery
I loved this book. A very twisty story, I was surprised at the end. I am not too familiar with the Melungeon culture, and I loved the setting in southwestern Virginia, and the whole premise. This is a very well-written, tightly woven story. I have not read the first book in the series, and I'm going to go back and read that as soon as possible. This book does refer to events in the first book, but I don't think it detracts if you don't read it first.
Debra
Racial tension, drugs and murder combine for too much excitement in veterinarian Rachel Goddard's life.

I've been fascinated by groups such as the Melungeons for years, so was curious how Ms Parshall would treat the subject. She doesn't really get into the history and origins but portrays the prejudice against them.

As a mystery I enjoyed this one, in fact I have the next in the series on the coffee table for later.
Leslie Angel
Mar 13, 2010 Leslie Angel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have I already read this? dunno, but it's really good. Her new one is finally out. There's a lot of backstory, need to read in order. This one's about recovering years'-old murders among the Melungeons. (a check in my books shows yes, I did read this last year. Oh the advantages of having no memory)
MaryAnn
Interesting and gripping tale of murder in the mountains. I had a little trouble keeping up with all the relatives (and I'm a Southerner, so I should be able to), but I enjoyed the narrative nonetheless.
Andy Plonka
Jul 21, 2015 Andy Plonka rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: src
Though the basics of the plot are easy to understand the familial relationships are anything but in this mystery. Though the ending makes sense it is much too convoluted for me to rate it higher than 3 stars.
Ada Iaboni
I've been reading this series and had skipped this one. As usual, I like it a lot. Although this one was a bit complicated, it was interesting and kept me reading. These books are easy reads and usually entertaining.
Mimi
Jul 20, 2013 Mimi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, physical-book
i am glad that characters from the first book of the series were in the second book. this book kept my attention with all its twist and turns. i would recommend it to everyone.
Ginger
Another fantastic read in the Rachel Goddard mysteries. I believe there are 6 total in the series. I'll hate to see them end.
Marlene
Sometimes the dead hold the missing pieces to a puzzle

This book is well written, an easy read. Love, murder and mystery, it has them all. On to book 3
Diane
Who dun'it?

Sometimes it best not disturb the dead, but when it happens you want Sandra Parshall to tell the story. Read this exciting and intriguing story.
Cindi (cheesygiraffe)
Nov 09, 2009 Cindi (cheesygiraffe) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009-read
Very good mystery. Lots of twists and turns. Good page turner that keeps you wondering who done it and why.
Georgiana Huizenga
I just discovered Sandra Parshall recently and have been happily surprised. Rachel Goddard isa strong, if flawed female character, with a good cast of supporting players.
Dark Star
Fast paced murder mystery (with not one, but three murders to solve) with loads of twists and turns.
Robin Wicker
Robin Wicker rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2013
Toni
Toni rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Relics (Faye Longchamp, #2)
  • Dead Dry (Em Hansen Mystery, #10)
  • Deadly Virtues (Gabriel Ash and Hazel Best, #1)
  • A Corpse's Nightmare (Fever Devilin, #6)
  • Shallow Grave (PI Julie Collins, #3)
  • Family Skeletons (Torie O'Shea, #1)
  • Bye Bye Bertie (Ivy Towers, #2)
  • Shades of Grey (Dulcie Schwartz, #1)
  • Who Let That Killer in the House? (Thoroughly Southern, #5)
  • The Lying-Down Room
  • A Case of Nosy Neighbors (Morning Shade Mystery #3)
  • The Twilight Time
  • Sticks and Stones (Cat DeLuca Mysteries, #2)
  • One Last Lesson (DI Angus Henderson #1)
  • A Darker Justice (Mary Crow, #2)
  • A Killing Tree: Detective Inspector Zig Batten 1
  • Dark Crimes (DCI Sophie Allen, #1)
  • Harm None (A Davies & West Mystery #1)
Sandra Parshall is the author of the Rachel Goddard Mysteries: The Heat of the Moon, which won the Agatha Award for Best First Novel of 2006; Disturbing the Dead; Broken Places; Under the Dog Star; and Bleeding Through (Sept 2012). A former reporter on newspapers in her home state of South Carolina as well as West Virginia and Baltimore, MD, she now lives in the Washington, DC, area with her journ ...more
More about Sandra Parshall...

Rachel Goddard Mystery (6 books)
  • The Heat of the Moon (Rachel Goddard Mystery #1)
  • Broken Places (Rachel Goddard Mystery #3)
  • Under the Dog Star (Rachel Goddard Mystery #4)
  • Bleeding Through (Rachel Goddard Mystery #5)
  • Poisoned Ground (Rachel Goddard Mystery #6)