Into the Twilight, Endlessly Grousing

Into the Twilight, Endlessly Grousing

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  330 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Patrick McManus believes that life's eternal truths exist solely for the purpose of being overturned and proved incorrect. In McManus's world, nothing is what it should be. All steaks should be chicken-fried, strong coffee is drunk by the light of a campfire, and fishing trips consist of men acting like boys and boys behaving like the small animals we've always assumed the...more
Published November 4th 1998 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Into the Twilight, Endlessly Grousing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Into the Twilight, Endlessly Grousing

Johannes Kristian
This was the first Patrick F. McManus book I read. I loved it! I read all the ones we have and then asked Mom to put on hold some more.
Matthew
Feb 12, 2011 Matthew rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
This volume of short stories contains what is most likely my favorite Patrick McManus story of all, the story that shares its name with the book. All in all, this volume of McManus stories is right on par with his many others. It's a bit light on Crazy Eddie Muldoon and Rancid Crabtree stories, my favorite brand of McManus stories, but it is still chock full of the outlandish outdoor adventures that McManus is known for. I think the one difference between this and stories he's done before is the...more
Dan Weiss
Always good, like revisiting a crazy uncle. I've seen many people complain that "If you've read one McManus, you've read them all." It is true that these can be a bit redundant if you read two back-to-back, but the familiarity of the characters, predicaments and scenery is what makes Ol' Pat comfort food for the nostalgic brain. Going back to Pat's world is like going back to a favorite camping area, even though I've never been to Idaho. I don't think I would fare well in terms of sanity if Idid...more
A Nelson
Mar 12, 2014 A Nelson marked it as to-read
a Funny boy book
Blaise
Rancid Crabtree became a literary hero. These short stories by Patrick F. McManus were imaginative and informative. I am not so sure that they are all that much of fiction, especially when I get the feeling of "been there, done that".

Anyone who has ever held a fishing pole will like these stories. Anyone who hasn't will want to pick one up. After all, not much difference between fishing and hanging out by the water.
Coyle
An excellent read! Although, like Dave Barry, I could see not wanting to read more than a bit at a time of the good Mr. McManus' works, in small chunks his writing is quite a delight. Which of course makes sense, given that these are columns collected from his writings in Outdoor Life and Field and Stream.

Highly Recommended!
Robb Menlove
In my opinion, the best in a long line of great outdoor humor from Pat McManus. This one had more of a reflective feel perhaps as he enters, "Into the Twlight" of life, while still "Endlessly Grousing." It made me think of my Dad.
Terri Pray
Library challenge book - so so mix of short stories. Voice was okay for some of them, some just annoyed me and I half skipped through the ones that annoyed me.

Jonathan Green
Into the Twilight, Endlessly Grousing is a very funny book. Patrick tells us about his childhood and other fun stories about his life.
Karolinde (Kari)
My favorite story is "The Attack of the Stamp People." The best commentary and mailing companies ever.
C-tim
"Most of our adventures resulted from our level of boredom rising above our level of fear."
Mark
If you have read 1 Patrick McManus book you have read them all. Read one and you will be good.
Ki
Anything by McManus is funny beyond reason and highly recommened.
Faith
Funny short stories about adventures in the out doors.
K
Witty, funny, redneck reading. Good bathroom book. :)
Katiekins
Katiekins is currently reading it
Sep 19, 2014
Mcorrigan
Mcorrigan marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
  • Dave Barry Turns Forty
  • Dream Storm (Remnants, #11)
  • Sausagey Santa
  • Dancing Aztecs
  • Shoot Low, Boys--They're Ridin' Shetland Ponies: In Search of True Grit
  • The Complete Hammer's Slammers Volume 2
  • Mary Emma & Company (Little Britches, #4)
  • Diuturnity's Dawn (Founding of the Commonwealth, #3)
  • The Wizard of 4th Street (Wizard, #1)
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Thirteenth Annual Collection
Patrick F. McManus is an American outdoor humor writer. A humor columnist for Outdoor Life and other magazines, his columns have been collected in several books.

Series:
* Sheriff Bo Tully
More about Patrick F. McManus...
They Shoot Canoes, Don't They? A Fine and Pleasant Misery Never Sniff A Gift Fish The Grasshopper Trap The Night the Bear Ate Goombaw