Start by marking “How to Be an Explorer of the World: Portable Life Museum” as Want to Read:
How to Be an Explorer of the World: Portable Life Museum

How to Be an Explorer of the World: Portable Life Museum

3.96  ·  Rating Details ·  3,604 Ratings  ·  202 Reviews
From the author of Wreck This Journal, an interactive guide for exploring and documenting the art and science of everyday life.

Artists and scientists analyze the world around them in surprisingly similar ways, by observing, collecting, documenting, analyzing, and comparing. In this captivating guided journal, readers are encouraged to explore their world as both artists an
Published October 7th 2008 by Penguin Books

To ask other readers questions about How to Be an Explorer of the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Be an Explorer of the World

Julia
Dec 12, 2012 Julia rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, misc
Ever since I was little I always loved those books that you could write in; the ones that have some story, or quotes, or something inspirational, but also an interactive component.

When I got this book, I wasn't completely sure what to expect; all I knew was I loved the title, the idea, and the glimpses of pages I caught. Now that I've read through it, I absolutely love it. It blends together the ideas of science and art and inspires you to not do anything outrageous, but instead be an explorer
Felicia
Oct 06, 2013 Felicia rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I just loved this book. So inspirational and lovely and a wonderful gift for anyone searching for themselves, or in need of fresh eyes and how to get there.
Cassidy
Nov 24, 2012 Cassidy rated it it was amazing
This book. Oh, boy. This book. I could go on for days. How to Be an Explorer of the World by Keri Smith is about seeing the world; it is about listening and observing and collecting and searching for the stories of all the small/lost/broken/misplaced/misunderstood pieces of the world. It can be read on many different levels- cute activity book versus intense philisophical experience- all of which are delightful. The layout of each page, and the text, and the EVERYTHING-

Everyone should read this
Aubrey
Jan 04, 2013 Aubrey rated it liked it
I think Keri Smith is set out to make everyone a hoarder. Nah, I kid, I kid. Granted, this book involves A LOT of collecting of items but what it's mostly about is being more a part of the world. I've been realizing this a lot lately, looking at things that I wouldn't normally look at, looking at things, sounds, smells, experiences in ways I wouldn't normally look at them. It's about being more present and aware.

If I can recommend this book to anyone it would be to fellow aspiring writers. To b
Via
Feb 20, 2013 Via rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
"Often we forget about the physicality of observing, literally changing our viewpoint or perspective."

"We have become glued to our computer and television screens that we forget to explore the natural world, the original instructor on how to be curious about detail." (Jennifer New)

This book opens its readers to a whole new world stripped of its familiarity. From accidental art to things we've never seen before, from what we choose to keep and what we throw away, it makes us explore the world lik
jess
Nov 18, 2010 jess rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010, craft
This is one of those books that is great for creative people or people who want to develop creative habits/perspectives. It is a collection of exercises gathered mostly from external (well-cited) sources that will give you a method of moving through your life like an explorer. By following all the exercises in here, you could create a portable museum of your life, certainly, and there is advice on how to even have showings or exhibitions of your museum. I can see this ultimately being more usefu ...more
Lyz
May 03, 2009 Lyz rated it it was amazing
An art teacher friend loaned this to me--I need to get my own copy! This "activity" book is about observing, documenting, collecting... noticing and being amazed at the little things... how to look at the banal around you and see it as if you were a tourist, new to your own world (in a fun, adventurous way). This book is fascinating as an adult, and would also be interesting to do with wee people.
Bastian Greshake
Mar 30, 2016 Bastian Greshake rated it it was amazing
A lovely book that urges you to open your eyes and see and take note of your environment. With lots of suggestions on how to train your eyes, by collecting and charting colors, accidental art, etc. I'll definitely give some of them a try.
Stephen
Dec 02, 2011 Stephen rated it liked it
A few friends were given this journal of sorts in a Foundations Art program at Alfred University. I decided to pick it up to see what might be inside.

I feel this text is for the stunted artist, perhaps one that needs faith in self to become an artist or the wayward youth unfocused. Perhaps it is right to give this text to those beginning their academic adventure into the art world, but I feel that having made the great leap to decide on going to college for art, the text may seem trivial, mundan
Claudia Larissa
Jul 28, 2013 Claudia Larissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
"All books continue in the beyond" -Italo Calvino

Las ilustraciones, fotografías, el diseño y la tipografía son tan hermosas que quisiera comérmelas.
Keri Smith siempre diciéndonos que olvidemos los estereotipos, que dejemos volar nuestra imaginación, que seamos un desastre y seamos creativos sin que nadie nos detenga.
Cada misión es creativa, cada detalle del libro y las frases de otros artistas son tan dulces.
Cada que veo la portada y las fotos de este libro me dan ganas de salir a algún lado por
David Schaafsma
May 15, 2014 David Schaafsma rated it really liked it
Shelves: nature, picturebooks, art
A kind of quirky and philosophical book for kids and parents about seeing the world differently, with several "explorations" to keep people busy for a summer, and more. Has places in the book for research notes, data collection, setting up a place for a museum (or way to demonstrate your findings). It's not about the usual kinds of collections, such as bugs or leaves, but collecting objects on the way to school, or a sound map, or faces you see in common every day objects. Of course, it's kinda ...more
Cait
Jan 29, 2012 Cait rated it it was amazing
5 stars for Keri Smith's, "How to be an Explorer of the World," because the title stays true to its content. Appropriate for all ages, Smith suggests a variety of activities and observations one can perform to awaken their senses and imagination. If you're looking to find (more) curiosity and creativity within yourself, I wouldn't pass this up as it will surely lead you there. All of the suggestions in this book, although eccentric at times, are possible regardless of your budget or location.
To
Jamison
Nov 01, 2011 Jamison rated it it was amazing
this is a very frustrating book to find at the library.

this is a "do, and see, and discover, and explore, and create, and put it all in one book" book. a "rip it apart, and put it all back to-gether in different pieces" book.

a "buy me, now! and discover" book.

with the quote "how to be an artist" on the back cover, you would think the book is aimed at.....artists. it is, but i see prompts for writing, and chances for collecting, as well.

if you want to open up yourself to many different mediums,
Jennifer McIntyre
Mar 23, 2010 Jennifer McIntyre rated it really liked it
Picking this up today and starting it - - I could have sworn I had read it before - - maybe - - it is the basis for a class on Big Picture Scrapbooking "Everyday Adventures" with Tami Morrison that starts on April 15th. . .join us!! www.bigpicturescrapbooking.com

Read thru the book last night - which has given me some ideas for the BPS class. . . with this book - Tami will definitely make this FUN!
Myhoa
May 24, 2011 Myhoa rated it it was amazing
I loved this fun book. Often we overlook the details and don't know how to catalog our lives. Blogs are great at being effient and scrapbooking is more a capial industry than it is a creative outlet. This small book is amazingly wonderful in suggesting ways to see and document the world around you. It has changed the way I see my everyday evnironment and new ones too. Not to mention the ideas are fun and creative.
Cynthia Agnieszka
Dec 18, 2008 Cynthia Agnieszka rated it it was amazing
Amazing book! I like how this book incorporates science and research principles to discovery while keeping an open mind to everything around you. "science" is really not lofty and only for those wearing white lab coats, through this book I realized that everyone is a scientist in using one's own senses to see and observe. If only we could all share what we find!
Viktoria
May 07, 2011 Viktoria rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, 2011
a great book with little exercises to look closer at everything around you in everyday life. this is fun and not just for artist or art teachers! it opens your eyes (and ears) and makes you think about the world around you. I actually started to look at things differently.
Megan
Jul 18, 2015 Megan rated it it was amazing
I've been trying to find the perfect balance between art and science in my personal projects and this book will be my guide in that endeavor! Just what I needed to start looking at the world in a whole new way.
ali
Jun 03, 2014 ali rated it it was ok
Although I like Keri Smith, this book left me underwhelmed. A lot of repetition and not very inspiring. If you are a mindful person, none of this will be new to you. This is definitely a book that you borrow from the library, not purchase.
Erin
Jul 18, 2015 Erin rated it it was amazing
I don't think Kari Smith ever uses the word "mindfulness," but she manages to turn it into a game. When it was serious and important, I couldn't do it, but I've been being mindful all day, and although I've done nothing but play with my son and tidy up a bit, it's been the best day ever.
Tammy
Dec 23, 2010 Tammy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: creativity
Absolutely adore this book.... words + images + experiments + ideas + collections + noticing + pure genius. If you follow the ideas and explorations in this book, you will indeed start to notice all of the marvelousness in the world and the muse will be your companion.
Jomanah Aloumi
Feb 12, 2013 Jomanah Aloumi marked it as to-read
Won't complete it nor fill it until I travel somewhere or go on a trip, I feel the need to take this book with me somewhere far!
Too wonderdul and I really, really love it.
Mandy
Nov 08, 2010 Mandy rated it it was ok
Shelves: crafts
No thanks. Though perfect for that artistic 16 year old who "nobody gets"
Dana
Sep 17, 2011 Dana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, to-buy
I really love this book! It is filled with exploration tasks that spark creativity, but the ultimate message of the book is to take pause from all of life's busyness, and notice what is around you!
martin eden
Oct 25, 2016 martin eden rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, english
that's a really good book to see and so discover your surrounding world.
feux d'artifice
Jan 11, 2017 feux d'artifice rated it it was amazing
a lot of the ideas in here are super fun!!! cant wait to try it out!!!
Sheryl
Mar 08, 2017 Sheryl rated it it was amazing
Loved this book and its random, abstract ideas! Some good ideas I will use in letter writing too.
Paula
Mar 01, 2017 Paula rated it really liked it
This was a lovely book that inspired some creative thinking. Fun for family conversations AND work.
Saud
Nov 06, 2016 Saud rated it it was amazing
Explorer of the world is a very interesting book written by Keri Smith. It is a very interesting book that is about exploration. Keri Smith explains in the introduction that in an average day eyes can spot up to a million objects before they go to sleep. The book explains the point of exploring and investigating. Investigation and exploration lead to discoveries and inventions. For example, when Benjamin Franklin discovered electricity he made an observation of lightning and turned it into a the ...more
Marsha Hubbell
Aug 24, 2016 Marsha Hubbell rated it it was amazing
I discovered “How to Be an Explorer of the World: Portable Life Museum” by Keri Smith from a recommendation in the weekly digest “Brain Pickings.” I was immediately intrigued … “a wonderful compendium of 59 ideas for how to get creatively unstuck by engaging with everyday objects and your surroundings in novel ways. From mapping found sounds to learning the language of trees to turning time observation into art, these playful and poetic micro-projects aren’t just a simple creativity booster — th ...more
DUDES! 1 23 Jun 02, 2012 04:50AM
  • Listography Journal: Your Life in Lists
  • Water Paper Paint: Exploring Creativity with Watercolor and Mixed Media
  • I Was Here: A Travel Journal for the Curious Minded
  • How to Make a Journal of Your Life
  • Let's Make Some Great Art
  • 1,000 Artist Journal Pages: Personal Pages and Inspirations
  • 52 Projects: Random Acts of Everyday Creativity (Perigee Book)
  • Juicy Pens, Thirsty Paper: Gifting the World with Your Words and Stories, and Creating the Time and Energy to Actually Do It
  • The Awe-manac: A Daily Dose of Wonder
  • Journal Spilling: Mixed-Media Techniques for Free Expression
  • The Happy Book: A Journal to Celebrate What Makes You Happy
  • How to Make Books: Fold, Cut & Stitch Your Way to a One-of-a-Kind Book
  • 1000 Journals Project
  • Drawing Lab for Mixed-Media Artists: 52 Creative Exercises to Make Drawing Fun (Lab Series)
  • The Where, the Why, and the How: 75 Artists Illustrate Wondrous Mysteries of Science
  • List Your Self: Listmaking as the Way to Self-Discovery
  • 365: A Daily Creativity Journal: Make Something Every Day and Change Your Life!
Keri Smith is an author/illustrator turned guerilla artist. She has several bestselling books, including Wreck This Journal, This is Not a Book, How To Be An Explorer of the World, Mess, Finish this Book, and The Wander Society all published by Penguin Books. Read more at her website http://WWW.KERISMITH.COM
More about Keri Smith...

“How To Be An Explorer Of The World
1. Always Be LOOKING (notice the ground beneath your feet.)
2. Consider Everything Alive & Animate
3. EVERYTHING Is Interesting. Look Closer.
4. Alter Your Course Often.
5. Observe For Long Durations (and short ones).
6. Notice The Stories Going On Around You.
7. Notice PATTERNS. Make CONNECTIONS.
8. DOCUMENT Your Findings (field notes) In A VAriety Of Ways.
9. Incorporate Indeterminacy.
10. Observe Movement.
11. Create a Personal DIALOGUE With Your Environment. Talk to it.
12. Trace Things Back to Their ORIGINS.
13. Use ALL of the Senses In Your Investigations.”
42 likes
“Creativity arises from our ability to see things from many different angles.” 34 likes