Start by marking “Remote Control (Alan Gregory, #5)” as Want to Read:
Remote Control (Alan Gregory, #5)

Remote Control (Alan Gregory #5)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  1,189 ratings  ·  54 reviews
Emma Spire is the daughter of the assassinated Surgeon General of the United States. She has been on the cover of every national magazine. Her beauty, her brains, her bravery - all are public property. She is fair game for celebrity sharks the country over. Everyone wants a piece of her - and she must escape the feeding frenzy at all costs. But she cannot, and the conseque ...more
Published April 1st 1997 by Dutton Adult

To ask other readers questions about Remote Control, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Remote Control

Simone Sinna
I have enjoyed all of the Alan Gregory series and this is one of the best. He’s a good story teller but his characters are even better. This is woven around one very cold night in Boulder (I shivered and felt oppressed by the snow storm for most of the book) and artful flashbacks that really help build the tension and turn and twist the plot. Lauren in in custody and hospital for most of the book, kept apart from husband Alan by cops and lawyers; White really makes us feel for her (she can barel ...more
Jeanne
This is the 5th of the Alan Gregory books. Things that worked: learning more about Lauren's progressive MS, the return of Casey Sparrow, the ever present Detective Sam Purdy and the introduction of Cozy Maitllin. What didn't work: the concept of the horror of virtual rape. White left me wanting to know more about the eccentric witness, Lois, much as he did with the reluctant Mormon, Harley, in Higher Authority. I'm ready for the next one. Finding this author only recently after he has finished w ...more
Melissa
As I got about two chapters into this book I felt like I had read it before. The good thing is that since I read books so quickly and don't really think about them too much, I can re-read a book a year later and still be surprised at the ending.

The more Alan Gregory books I read, the more I am liking them. I have compared White's books to Kellerman's in the past and Kellerman has won out. However, as I start to like the characters better on their own merit rather than comparing them, I am liking
Robert Beveridge
Stephen White, Remote Control (Signet, 1997)

Remote Control is very much one of _those_ mysteries, the kind that makes you read a couple of paragraphs at every stoplight. (Please control the urge to read while driving.) By now, we should all be familiar with White's cast of characters (Remote Control is the fourth Alan Gregory, psychiatrist-turned-don't-wanna-be-detective, novel) and his method of dropping loads of bricks on us when we're not looking, and slipping the clues in while we're still r
Ed
Jan 21, 2011 Ed rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Crime Fiction fans
A forgettable offering by White. I had to page through the book to remember the details. Some of his earlier offerings were far more memorable.

In this story, the daughter of an assassinated U.S. Government official is being stalked by someone and, Lauren Crowder, the wife of Alan Gregory, the protagonist, tries to help her and in the process is arrested for murder. The plot which is unnecessarily complicated carries on from there.

The story line wanders off into the misuse of an invention create
Kristin
A number of years ago, I read the sequel to this book, 'Critical Conditions', though I'll admit to not remembering it until the last line of the preview chapter provided at the end of this book. I did pick up 'Remote Control' knowing I'd read another book by White, also in the Dr. Gregory series, and because nothing in this one rang a bell, I suspected the first one I read to be later in the series. Like Alex Kava's books, I think White does tend to reference the outcomes of previous books in th ...more
Donna Murray
“It’s complicated,” Stephen White’s characters tell each other and us more than once, and it is, but satisfyingly so. This earlier novel naturally lacks some of the inter-personal dynamics that develop throughout the series, but the groundwork is here for fans like me to appreciate. Although I’ve liked other of White’s plots better, please don’t regard that as a complaint. It’s a good read.
Ed
#5 in the Alan Gregory series.

Alan Gregory, Boulder psychologist, works to get wife Lauren Crowder out of jail. Lauren has discharged her pistol in a blizzard and an unidentified corpse has been found a half block away. Lauren was in the area to defend her friend Emma but she refuses to mention Emma. Flashbacks flesh out Emma and the relationship with a tech wizard.
KarenC
My first read in this series. Impressed me as being heavy on the psychology in places, but Gregory and his author are, after all, psychologists, so this should not have been a surprise. Back and forth movement of the timeline was a bit confusing & I had to check back to the helpful chapter headings to remember which day and time the events were taking place. Much of the story takes place in a 24-hour time period with some background added in by "flash-back" chapters. An unusual plot line tha ...more
Jmcrossfl
I am not a fan of books where the events switch back and forth from one day to the next. And, this is that format. I found it hard to follow what was going on. There was also too much technical data included in the story.
Jodi
Fairly solid mystery, a little convoluted. Lauren is arrested when she admits to firing her gun and a man is found shot. But she can't reveal the whole truth, not even to Sam, because she's protecting someone else. The biggest problem with this book is that it is very dated. They talk about Bernoulli drives like they are the latest technology, which even in 1997 wasn't true anymore. But the book takes place in the truly pre-techology days which felt weird because the plot is centered around the ...more
Steve
Way to impossible in terms of the technology to be believable. The technology was not really necessary to the plot anyway and I found myself constantly getting irritated reading about things that are not likely to be developed in the near future. It would be fine if this was a SciFi book but it is not.

It is a shame because I really enjoy Stephen White's writing and other than the parts that were nuts in this book, the rest of it was well written and flowed quite well.
Lisa
I liken these books to Jonathan Kellerman - but with a much wider cast of characters. Each book seems to take me on a different journey. This one is examining the role of the famous and how technology is affecting our lives and our privacy. Of course, there are murders etc just to keep with the general theme of these books.

I enjoy the newness of each book. Although I know the characters, the journey is slightly different each time.
Suzanne
I'm enjoying how Stephen White tries different ways of writing. This one was a bit confusing as it jumped back and forth in time but I loved how each chapter started with the date, time and weather. The weather was somewhat important to the story but it mainly was a good reminder of how much the weather can change in a matter of hours here in Colorado. Another story filled with twists and turns.
Megan
I started off really enjoying this book. The plot was different and interesting, fast-moving and intriguing. Then, in a fashion that would make Patricia Cornwell proud, everything gets wrapped up in a neat little package--complete with a last-second shoot out and plot "twist"--in the last 20 pages, and they all live happily ever after. A very disappointing end to what started as a great story.
Barbara
I've enjoyed most of Stephen White's books. The one before this, Harm's Way was excellent. I couldn't put it down. But I started this one on Christmas day 2007 and I didn't finish it until March, and even then, I was struggling. I don't really recommend this book unless you're like me... Into the series and determined to read all of them.
Nancy
Four stars plus--written in third person, nicely plotted with a shifting timeline, revealing what it's like for anyone (including an assistant D.A.) to be incarcerated. So much for the presumption of innocence. One of Stephen White's better books, which I have been reading out of order.
Joan
Stephen White's writing style mesmerizes me. His characters are my friends; his plot-twists produce groans as I recognize their consequences; his precise word-choices and concise sentence structures propel me through the action with my heart in my throat. This was an exceptional read.
Deenya
Really wish we could give half stars... I'd give this 3.5
This book sucked me in, though it jumped around a little too much for my liking. Felt like the action really built but the conclusion was not as exciting as the rest of the book. Liked it and the references to Boulder were fun.
Chriser123 Dittman
Stephen White gets better with each read. Th is one has so many twists and turns I was almost dizzy. After reading required books for book club I like to read my comfort books. The main character is Alan Gregory a psychologist and his wife Lauren, an ADA in Boulder Colorado.
Nicole
I really enjoyed this earlier work from Stephen White. He engages the reader, keeps the main set characters in each book, but not to the extent that you need to read them all the get the jist of the story. Good flow of details, kept you wanting to know what happened!
Marika Mc
Just not as strong a plot as hoped for. I found it confusing in parts, with all the characters and their subplots. Still, I do think the main characters are strong (Gregory, Crowder and Purdy) and kept me from putting the book down.
Susan
This is another in the fine Alan Gregory series. Alan's wife, DA Lauren Gregory, is arrested for a shooting on in a Boulder blizzard. The facts are few and the questions are many. This is another good one.
J. Giggles
I love the characters in this series. They are funny, smart, quirky & self-effacing. Though intelligent & intricate, this book left me a wanting..... something. Not sure what :( Still an enjoyable read though.
Marianne
The main character seemed a little unbelievable, and thinly drawn.
Lately, White's plots seem contrived. That being said, I probably will continue to read his Dr. Gregory series.
Bill
I only got half-way through the first page before I stopped reading it. The prose seems unusually clunky. Can't speak for the whole book, but I'm not going to bother reading it.
Cindy
I'm hooked on Stephen White and will be reading him for a while. I love finding a new author that I enjoy and finding out that he's got a 10+ books in that I can catch up on!
Marge
Though somewhat disappointed with the end--seemed hurried and not as well thought out as the rest of the book--I enjoyed the story in this fifth Alan Gregory series.
Lash
I liked this a lot
there was a bit of running around, and the back and forth in time was a bit confusing at first but by the end I couldn't stop reading
Jim
I enjoyed this story. It makes one wonder how leaps in technology can mess with our lives and priorities. A murder mystery with interesting twists.
  • A Family Affair (Nero Wolfe, #46)
  • Republic (America's Future, #1)
  • Reckless Endangerment (Butch Karp, #10)
  • Nothing But Trouble (Kevin Kerney, #10)
  • Lemons Never Lie (Alan Grofield, #4)
  • Strip Search (Susan Pulaski #2)
  • Fugitive (Amanda Jaffe, #5)
  • The Sign Of The Book (Cliff Janeway, #4)
  • Chandler: Later Novels and Other Writings
  • Havana Bay (Arkady Renko, #4)
  • The First Victim (Boldt/Matthews, #6)
20950

Stephen White is the author of the New York Times bestselling Alan Gregory novels. In his books, he draws upon over fifteen years of clinical practice as a psychologist to create intriguing plots and complex, believable characters.

Born on Long Island, White grew up in New Y
More about Stephen White...
Kill Me (Alan Gregory, #14) Privileged Information (Alan Gregory, #1) Missing Persons (Alan Gregory, #13) Private Practices (Alan Gregory, #2) Dry Ice (Alan Gregory #15)