Loving Someone with Bipolar Disorder: Understanding and Helping Your Partner

Loving Someone with Bipolar Disorder: Understanding and Helping Your Partner

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  172 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Loving Someone with Bipolar Disorder is a first of its kind book—written specifically for the partner of a person with bipolar disorder. If you have a loved one with bipolar, you know how disruptive and straining this disorder can be to your relationship. You may experience feelings of fear, loss, and anxiety as well as a constant uncertainly about your loved one’s ever-ch...more
Published February 1st 2004 by New Harbinger Publications (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Loving Someone with Bipolar Disorder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Loving Someone with Bipolar Disorder

5 Days FREE of Depression Anxiety and Panic Attacks by Rhonda PattonCornered Coyote by Dianne HarmanBlue Coyote Motel by Dianne HarmanDetour from Normal by Ken DicksonNowhere Near Normal by Traci Foust
Mental Health And Family
85th out of 90 books — 185 voters
Night Falls Fast by Kay Redfield JamisonAn Unquiet Mind by Kay Redfield JamisonWelcome to the Jungle by Hilary T. SmithThe Bipolar Disorder Survival Guide by David J. MiklowitzBecome Your Own Bipolar Life Coach by Wendy Lavin
Bipolar Illness and Mental Health
16th out of 23 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Seth
Aug 17, 2007 Seth rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: beepers and anyone who is around them
Shelves: medical
This is the #1 book I tell people to read about BP. It's the only book I know of that isn't targetted specifically at person experiencing BP or a parent of someone experiencing BP.

If you experience BP, giving this book to someone who loves you wll do more than reading any book on handling BP yourself. Especially early after the diagnosis, outside observation and input from someone supportive who knows you well is the best start to treatment. This book gives them the tools they need.

It's a frank...more
Bob
I read this in one night. The first time I've been able to focus long enough to read a book in one day since the last Tom Clancy novel.
Having recently been diagnosed with bipolar 2, I did find this book helpful in understanding quite a number of things that before now had gone unrecognized as symptoms of bipolar. Some aspects of my life could have been much simpler had I read this book 20 years ago!
Overall, I found the book helpful and might give it a higher rating once I've read a few more bo...more
Stephanie
Realistic, helpful to a point

I liked all of the journaling questions to get a clearer picture of the disorder, how it affects each of us and needs. I was hoping for more suggestions and tools in particular for spouses. It was heavy for me to read since my spouse is not willing to work on his bipolar right now and hasn't for a long time due to his illness. I appreciated the reality checks, and the way the author could relate to the feelings of both the spouse and the loves one v suffering with bi...more
Michael Wolf
I've been implementing many of the ideas from this book as I've seen fit to use with a dear friend of mine that has BD II, and it's in the revelation of the truths when we talk about the skills and systems of approaching the disorder talked about in this book that mark for me the book's usefulness, and perhaps now for her, as through my relating of the book's ideas and content she now wants to read it and participate in the systematic approach of better dealing with the effects of bipolar disord...more
BeerDiablo
This is the first book I've read on the subject and being that, I found it to be beneficial. The authors cover the major topics and give you a framework to help manage a relationship with a person that has the illness but don’t go into medication, other than specifying to make sure that they’re being taken.

Most of the examples are for Bipolar I, which is more extreme and require more work/caretaking on the partner that isn’t ill.

It still gives a good foundation for dealing with a Bipolar II par...more
Nancyp
I thought this was one of the best books about bipolar and how a partner can help or work through triggers, stay well, and strategies. My husband read it as well, and we intend to do the exercises together.

I am bipolar and this is one of the most helpful books I've read.
Barbara Atlas
I don't know the credentials of this author nor whether there's any science behind her claims; I listened because it showed up on the list of available audio books at the Arlington Public Library. I would have enjoyed reading it more that listening to it on my iPhone, because the reader spoke sooooooo slowly, and I came to detest how she said "bipolar disorder."

Despite all that, it was an interesting book that affirmed what I knew and taught me much more. Someone who has been correctly diagnose...more
Maria
This book was a game changer for how my partner and I viewed the illness. Not only did it give us many tactics to use in overcoming the hardships of bipolar disorder, it gave us hope that there can be a life together beyond it.
Carie L
kind of repetitive. it seems to promise answers and never actually gets to them. it does explain some things i wouldn't have otherwise realized, though.
Mariya
Very consise and readable, with healthy balance of optimism and realistic assessment.
Erica
This author was recommended to me by a friend who has a family history of the illness. It is outstanding - a wonderful resource for anyone in a relationship with someone who is bi-polar (as well as the individual him/herself), and gives anyone interested a very good idea of how bi-polar manifests itself. It's aimed at a couple managing the illness by recognizing the verbal/non-verbal cues that can spiral downward into depression or mania, and nipping the symptoms in the bud. I plan to read her o...more
J Campbell
When my spouse was first diagnosed with BiPolar Disorder, I didn't know where to turn. This book helped me through some very dark hours, and clarified some of my feelings. So much so that I was able to remain married in the tough times and now life is much better with proper medication, therapy and support groups.
I do wish this book had a Biblical context to it. I've actually written a book with a Biblical reference for those living and loving a spouse with BiPolar Disorder.
Stevie
We haven't had a chance to sit down and walk through the exercises as a couple yet, but this book has already given me some successfull coping strategies, and has given me the hope that our relationship will be able to weather the stormy seas of this illness better in the future. Definitely recommend the book for anyone who is daring to take on the challenge of marrying someone with bipolar disorder.
Leabelle
The author has bipolar disorder as did her partner of many years. The author's approach: while a good start, medication alone will not keep you healthy, you need to take other measures to prevent the escalation of symptoms in either direction. It certainly increased my understanding of how one might live with the condition stay as healthy as possible.
julia
Feb 01, 2008 julia rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who love people who have Bi-polar disorder
this book was very helpful, espeically in understanding how a bi-polar thinks (or rather doesn't).if your partner is a diagnosed BP and you're both willing to work the techniques in the book, I bet you'll have quite a bit of success coping. But I have enough work to do, thank you very much, my superiority complex keeps me quite busy.
Devon Trevarrow Flaherty
Jun 05, 2008 Devon Trevarrow Flaherty rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who love someone with bipolar
Recommended to Devon by: mother-in-law
Still reading, but it's great so far. The author requests that you move slow. Every paragraph is a new "aha!" moment, a new reason to cry (which we all know I need to do more). As far as therapy goes, this book, the Bible, my journal, and the soundtrack for "Once" are doing it for me right now.
Liz Mallett
An absolute must for anyone who has a person with bipolar disorder- or any mental health issue- in their lives. Very practical. Filled with real life applications. Not a bunch of psycho-babble. It's a fabulous "tool" to add to your arsenal in battling this illness.
Amy
This is the first book I've ever read on the subject and it gave me so many insights. I highly recommend this book for anyone looking to understand BP disorder or who has someone close to them that suffers from this illness.
Jen McDaniel
the best, most compassionate, but accurate book for bipolars and their caregivers. great strategies for predicting and coping with swings. julie fast knows what she is talking about!
Daniela Georgeff
This book was great ! As it was my first and I didn't know where to turn to for help . I learned a lot of what I should be watching and how one could get help or support
Luis Miguel
Te ayuda a diferenciar lo que hace la persona de lo que hace la enfermedad, a entenderlo y a no culpabilizar a la persona por las obras de la enfermedad.
Bridgett
I am the bipolar person, but I really found this book useful in locating triggers and symptoms and making a plan to improve mental health holistically.
Margaret Scott
I did not like this book and my husband (who I bought it for) could barely make it through the first 2 chapters. I like welcome to the jungle much more.
Brandi Jandreau
I thought it was a bit overwhelming for a loved one to actually sit down and follow through with on top of dealing with the illness.
Pauline Allan
This was a quick read for anyone who is wanting a simple approach to handling a loved one suffering from Bipolar Disorder.
Denae Dirksen-dorrett
I have enjoyed every book of hers thus far and feel that she offers great tools from her own experience
Catherine
A wonderful how-to for wannabe martyrs and saints.
Dawn Wells
Really good read to understand a spouse with bipolar.
Renee pocklingtin
a must read for those with a bipolar loved one!
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
  • Detour: My Bipolar Road Trip in 4-D
  • The Bipolar Disorder Survival Guide: What You and Your Family Need to Know
  • Perfect Chaos: A Daughter's Journey to Survive Bipolar, a Mother's Struggle to Save Her
  • Welcome to the Jungle: Everything You Wanted to Know about Bipolar But Were Too Freaked Out to Ask
  • Speaking of Sadness: Depression, Disconnection, and the Meanings of Illness
  • The Dark Side of Innocence: Growing Up Bipolar
  • Darkness Is My Only Companion: A Christian Response to Mental Illness
  • The Bipolar Child: The Definitive and Reassuring Guide to Childhood's Most Misunderstood Disorder
  • The New Topping Book
  • Nasty People
  • Reinventing Your Life: The Breakthrough Program to End Negative Behavior...and Feel Great Again
  • The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook
  • The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Workbook: Practical DBT Exercises for Learning Mindfulness, Interpersonal Effectiveness, Emotion Regulation, And Distress Tolerance
  • Before the Rain: A Memoir of Love and Revolution
  • Oh, Yuck!: The Encyclopedia of Everything Nasty
  • This Year's Model
  • Calming Your Anxious Mind: How Mindfulness and Compassion Can Free You from Anxiety, Fear, and Panic
  • Jung's Map of the Soul: An Introduction
Julie A. Fast is a critically acclaimed six-time author, radio host, national speaker, and sought after expert in the field of mental health management. Since starting her website www.BipolarHappens.com where she offers a treatment plan and advice for those affected by bipolar disorder, Julie has written three traditionally published books on the topic of mood disorders:

Loving Someone with Bipola...more
More about Julie A. Fast...
Get It Done When You're Depressed Take Charge of Bipolar Disorder: A 4-Step Plan for You and Your Loved Ones to Manage the Illness and Create Lasting Stability Bipolar Happens! 35 Tips and Tricks to Manage Bipolar Disorder Healthsmart Bipolar Disorder Personal Care Organizer The Official Geezer Guide to Creating & Selling eBooks: A step-by-step guide to making money with eBooks