The Highly Effective Detective Goes to the Dogs (Highly Effective Detective #2)

The Highly Effective Detective Goes to the Dogs (The Highly Effective Detective #2)

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  152 ratings  ·  34 reviews
From the critically acclaimed author ofThe Highly Effective Detective comesthis deliciously funnyfollow-up featuring the lovable but bumbling P.I. Teddy Ruzak.

After the state shuts him down for practicing detection without a license, Teddy thinks hisinvestigating days are over. Then he discovers the body of a man outside his office, a homeless man whom he had befriended ju...more
Published August 19th 2008 by Minotaur Books

Rebecca Douglass
The Highly Effective Detective is touted on the back cover as being something like Donald Westlake, and I can see the basis for the comparison. Humor is definitely part of the story--as is the incompetence of the protagonist. Teddy Ruzak is the Highly Effective Detective--except that when the story opens he's being shut down because he has once again failed the state licensing exam. He's been calling himself an "investigative consultant" rather than a PI, but the state doesn't seem to think that...more
Nancy Steinle gummel
The highly effective detective goes to the dogs is for the dogs. It was one book i didn't enjoy. It's sense of humor was pointless. Granted he solves the crime but i didn't care.
Barbi
very odd murder mystery. slightly entertaining and yet lots of it didn't make sense.
Kayeb

There was a first book with Teddy Ruzak, but I didn't read that. This is in the category of fun reading...and yet, it sort of surprises me since he certainly ponders life and death and how come and such, and yet he is more along the lines of bumbling detective than kick butt. The dog is a bit of an undercurrent the last part of the book and adds a bit to the lighthearted character of this book

From the critically acclaimed author of The Highly Effective Detective comes this deliciously funny foll...more
JBradford
I enjoyed the first book in this series so much I went back for the second (the third has just been published, but my library does not have it yet). I am happy to report that the second was even better than the first. Teddy Rusak still has not managed to pass his Private Investigator test, and Mr. Hinton, from the Tennessee Polygraph Bureau has just brought the full weight of state law on h im with a cease-and-desist order, which should give Teddy plenty of time to study for the exam, as his cha...more
Evelyn
Oct 19, 2008 Evelyn rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No one really...
Recommended to Evelyn by: Saw it under new releases at the public library.
SO I haven't read a full book in over a month...I picked this book up today from the library, a mystery book...well I'd have to say 2 hours and 85 pages later (I fell asleep, but not from boredom)The book is quite a mystery alright. I still don't have a feel for it; I do like the Farside Cartoon quote "May I be excused? My brain is full..." It's how I feel now...but don't know what my thought will be when I reach page 329, the end of the book...to be continued...
So I finished the book this morni...more
Kerri
This book was really bizarre; it wasn't a bad story, it was just weird.

First the writing style is just so young. Which gave me the initial impression that the book had been intended for children until a couple of grope-scenes and dropped F-bombs reversed that line of thinking. Second, we're dealing with an overweight, amateur sleuth, with an A.D.D train of thought and sense of humor...Which again leads me right back to for children... Or adults with childlike attention spans.

I marked this book...more
Eva Mitnick
Teddy Ruzak is a slippery character to get a handle on. He's obsessive yet easily distracted, empathetic yet emotionally not totally functional, a dedicated detective who can't pass the state PI exam. That he tells us his story in his own words just adds to the feeling that we're very close to him yet fail to understand him. That we can't help but like the hapless Teddy is why this book works. As a mystery, there's not much going on, and there's not much going on in Teddy's personal life either...more
JDAZDesigns
Okay. It is what it is. To me, a book needs to be interesting. Something that can hold my interest. It must move swiftly. I don't have a lot of time. This book fills a couple of hours with light entertainment. Just like his first Highly Effective Detective. What the heck! You'd sit down and watch a 30 minute sitcom. Or worse, you'd turn on the tube and watch some reality show.

Well, this is entertaining. It's a quick read. It has humor. It's airy. The perfect combination.

So what if the last revie...more
Jeanne
This is the 2nd novel in the Teddy Ruzak series. Teddy is an overweight, hapless, decent guy who wants to be a PI. Unfortunately he can't pass the test. When he sees a murdered homeless man outside his office window and the police aren't terribly interested, Teddy decides that he must find the killer. This falls into the category of a cozy mystery more than a regular detective mystery so it's not for fans of hard-boiled detective fiction. But Teddy is a sweet man and sometimes funny without mean...more
Paul
This was a little darker than the first one but still very good and worth your time
Jon
The second in the series. Opens with much more promise than the first, and a lot less shilly-shallying. A new visit with Teddy Ruzak, but the ball doesn't get moved very far when it comes to character- or relationship-development. It looks like he is who he is, and nothing much is going to change. A more straightforward plot than the first one, but in some ways less of a mystery. Thankfully, the dogs in the title play a relatively minor role.
Rick Yancey
Jul 11, 2009 Rick Yancey added it
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Rick by: my muse
The thing that is simultaneously delightful and troubling to me about the takes on the book is how differently readers react to my hero. People tend either to find him very endearing or annoying as hell. That he runs either "hot" or "cold" gives me satisfaction, because he is, after all, solely a product of my imagination. As for myself, I have never considered him bumbling at all. He gets the job done, doesn't he?
Gigi
For some reason, I didn't care for this one as much as the first. I think the writing was just not as compelling or something, but that seems like a vague statement. I do appreciate when writer's create characters that contemplate meaning and truth. Easy to read, on the bright side, but after the first one, you kind of want another dose and this doesn't measure up.
Christopher Mcgurr
Pretty good read. A bit more serious then the first one what with the existential crisis and faith in god issues! I didn't really like the meta aspect of the Eunice character writng a book about Ruzak. Still there were good moments and laugh out loud bits. A little more mystery would be good as sometimes the plot takes a back seat to the musings.
Susan
Jul 01, 2009 Susan added it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I read the first in this series and enjoyed it very much. However, with this book I felt the hero was in a 'poor me'-type of mood most the way through the book which was tiring after awhile. I felt like he didn't know how to pick himself up and dust himself off and get on with life. I don't think I'll be reading anymore from this series.
Sue
This was a quick enjoyable read. In his first book he had a very annoying habit of having his characters answer with variations of "Unh-huh" and I was never quite sure if he meant yes or no - in fact I was sure he used the same variation to mean different things! He didn't do that in this book at all.
Vicki Cline
Not as funny as the first book in the series, in fact it's more than a little sad, but it's still fun to spend time with Teddy Ruzak, the nebbishy not-quite-detective. We also get to spend more time with continuing character Eunice Shriver, who's writing a biography of Teddy, to his chagrin.
Nancy
#2 in an amusing murder mystery series. The main character is a large overweight, out of shape, bumbling loner who stumbles across a murder and somehow manages to solve the crime! His ramblings are pretty hilarious, although many might find him just annoying. It is a close call.
Samy Rose
Jan 17, 2013 Samy Rose rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in humorous mysteries with a dog
Recommended to Samy by: book sale at library
An easy read with humor and a philosophical twist thrown in. A rather ineffectual man with metaphysical thoughts. Very interesting. Teddy appears to be attempting to find and to understand his place in the world, in his interactions, in the greater realm of things.
Albert Riehle
Of the 3 books in THE DIC series this was my favorite--though I like them all. This was the wittiest of them all and the dialogue had me cracking up throughout.

I highly recommend the entire series.
Seneca
I'm hoping the first book was better. If you are expecting humor or a good mystery, you'll be disappointed. Interesting characters never seem to get fully developed.
Laurie
Fun mystery series to read. I love Teddy going off on tangents. A lot like the ADHD kids I work with.
Chi Dubinski
Naïve, bumbling, and unlicensed detective Teddy Ruzak finds the body of a man outside his door.
Jeri
Disappointing. Really looked forward to it after the first book in the series. Don't waste your time,
Kyle
These continue to be very entertaining books.
I look forward to reading the third in the series!
Theresa
Jun 27, 2010 Theresa marked it as to-read
cover looked cute. I love dogs. Too bad #1 in storage! Cataloging it right now.
Sue
fun light. more about the detective than the mystery
Colleen
an interesting blend of humor and pathos
Arlene Allen
Kind of like a cross between Monk and Colombo.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
aka Richard Yancey

Rick is a native Floridian and a graduate of Roosevelt University in Chicago. He earned a B.A. in English which he put to use as a field officer for the Internal Revenue Service. Inspired and encouraged by his wife, he decided his degree might also be useful in writing books and in 2004 he began writing full-time.

Since then he has launched two critically acclaimed series: The Ext...more
More about Rick Yancey...
The 5th Wave (The Fifth Wave, #1) The Monstrumologist (The Monstrumologist, #1) The Curse of the Wendigo (The Monstrumologist, #2) The Extraordinary Adventures of Alfred Kropp (Alfred Kropp, #1) The Isle of Blood (The Monstrumologist, #3)