Start by marking “A Glory of Unicorns” as Want to Read:
A Glory of Unicorns

A Glory of Unicorns

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  1,249 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Award-winning author Bruce Coville believes in unicorns, and his mission is to make believers out of all of us with this collection of stories by distinguished fantasy writers.
Published February 1st 2000 by Scholastic (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about A Glory of Unicorns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Glory of Unicorns

The Last Unicorn by Peter S. BeagleInto the Land of the Unicorns by Bruce CovilleSong of the Wanderer by Bruce CovilleHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingDark Whispers by Bruce Coville
Unicorn Books
23rd out of 220 books — 168 voters
A Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinA Clash of Kings by George R.R. MartinA Feast for Crows by George R.R. MartinAn Instance of the Fingerpost by Iain PearsA Glory of Unicorns by Bruce Coville
A Glory of Unicorns;An Exaltation of Larks
5th out of 30 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

The Winter Rose
I would rate this collection of short stories as a 3.5. Not quite a 4 for me, but I enjoyed it, so I decided to be nice and opt for the 4 stars as opposed to the 3 stars.

I wasn't expecting this collection to be so unique and thought provoking. I love unicorns, magic, princesses and all manner of fairy tales. I generally like to read light, fluffy stories and when I picked up this book, I thought that was what I was going to get - a collection of sweet, wholesome, simple little tales to pass the
Alberto
It's interesting to read different people's encounters with unicorns. They're always so unique for each person. I believe unicorns tend to favour those with pure hearts more often than not, but even unicorn magic isn't always infallible when it comes to detecting what lies in a person's heart. You never know what each individual's experience with these sorts of beasts might be.
M—
The stories are light and not a little fluffy but often had me sniffling. Ideal anthology for a very young girl.

Two of the twelve were the best of the bunch:

Beyond the Fringe by Gregory Maguire -- Soldiers? Hah. Grandmother has a plan, thanks to once meeting a unicorn.

The Ugly Unicorn by Jessica Amanda Salmonson -- Asian fable of interpretations of unicorns, with decidedly modern character interactions.
Jessica Broockerd
May 09, 2012 Jessica Broockerd rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Jessica Broockerd
Short Stories

Bruce Coville's collection of unicorn-based stories are gorgeously written, thought-provoking, and not ridiculously fluffy. It's not all sunshine and rainbows. One blind princess is best friends with the ugly Liu-Mu unicorn; most stories have a lesson buried in them. Beautiful writing, if lacking in description--it can be difficult to decipher who is speaking sometimes.
Nicole
Fans of "The Unicorn Chronicles" series by author Bruce Coville will want to pick up this compilation (which includes a story set within "The Unicorn Chronicles" universe), but unicorn lovers in general, of all ages, will also find much to love about this book. There is a wide variety of takes on the myth of the unicorn in this story collection, some of which are better than others, but all of which are worthy reads because they are written to be the kind of stories that stick with you. The basi ...more
Rena Sherwood
A bit repetitive. Also, there was a poem which was incredibly lame. The illustrations are good. The best story is about a girl who discovers a dying unicorn living at her school. All in all, not as satisfying a unicorn anthology as Unicorns!
Haley
Well it took me more than half a year to finish... but that's the good thing about short stories. The unfortunate thing is that some of them aren't that great. I don't really remember any one of these stories being too spectacular but I love unicorn lore and this had some different ideas. I liked the second to last one I suppose. But come on, just because it has Coville's name on it and some similar art work to the Unicorn Chronicles doesn't mean that it needs to be read. Especially since it doe ...more
Anna
I'll tell my favorite story in this book. IT was The Portal. In it they are choosing a unicorn to go to earth. It usually was a stallion but this time it s a mare!
Allison
I went on vacation to Florida with my family when I was ten. On my birthday, we went to the beach, but I refused to wear sunblock because I thought it was slimy and unpleasant. I got the worst sunburn anyone ever had and was sick in bed for three days. My father felt very guilty about it and went to the local library and brought me every book on unicorns he could find because he knew I was so fond of them. I remember this book specifically, through a feverish haze. It was of great comfort to me ...more
Brown
I kind of wished the stories were a little less corny, but it was fun to read.
Marsha
More than just creatures of whimsy and fantasy, unicorns convey visions of hope, love, mystery, purity and utter wonder. Many feel the world is a poorer world for not having true unicorns in it. This book reminds us why.

FIlled with tales of one-horned beasties that are saucy and regal, beautiful and ugly, chatty and silent, A Glory of Unicorns breathes fresh life into old legends and left this reader yearning, just a little, for a magical creature all her own.
Arlian
I can't tell if it's just that I am getting too old for Coville books, or if he loses some of his magic as he gets older. I've still found plenty of joy in rereading The Last Unicorn, but not the next 3 of the series (which he wrote over 10 years after the originial). I think, perhaps, what made me love him as a child is changing.

These stories were very unimpressive to me, and I would not give this as a gift to my younger friends.
Jonnine
This book is a set of short stories by varying authors and is completely filled with magic. Some of the stories would be great for children as they offer morals. Others are more suited for adults and have thoughts on love and life. It is a quick read and well worth it for the chance to feel hope in magic again. I recommend it!
Tina Bembry
Brings me back to my younger self who was always intrigued by unicorns. Beautiful artwork as well as very interesting short stories. I've heard before how the unicorn is often a savior-figure, and these stories have those kinds of unicorns - strong, wiser than human, mysterious, yet responsive to a human heart in need.
Tasia
I thought this would be a collection of sweet, light tales about unicorns. Good thing they proved me wrong; I appreciated the darker side most of them took. Themes of deep sadness, purity, redemption. I didn't expect so much from a collection of unicorn tales. Very nice surprise, I do say.
Amanda
I have read this book so many times that my copy is falling apart! If you love unicorns and fairy tales, you will absolutely die for this book. It is a compilation, but Bruce Coville has chosen some of the best unicorn stories out there and taken the best snippets from each of them.
Quilla
This is a collection of stories about unicorns. They are so believable, and fictional at the same time. Some were better than others. The cover art is so wonderful, I always just stare at it. The book inside is even better, and I repeatedly read it when I need a good imaginative story.
Tiffany
I owned and read this book many times when I was young! It never failed to grab my attention, and since it is technically an anthology of unicorn works from several authors, there was always a new story, or one to suit. Learned a lot of lore from this book, and loved every page.
Lindsey Meyer
This collection of stories contains many of my favorite tales, legends, and lores about unicorns. Each and every story in this set rings of classic fairy tale material. When I'm in the mood for short stories, this book is usually what I turn to.
Katie Herring
Have loved this collection of unicorn stories for many years now.

My favorite is still The Ugly Unicorn, I think.

While it's definitely a collection for young people, even I (because I'm so old), could enjoy it.
Liz Difiore
I keep coming back to this collection of tales. It's expertly put together and each story holds its own, unique voice and personality, much like the unicorns they're about. A must have for any unicorn fan!
Kathleen
Though interesting because this collection of unicorn short stories varied so much in the 'physical' description of the beast, I hope to find a better set of stories in the future.
Sara
I remember getting an ARC of this collection from somewhere; it was this book and the excerpt from "The Last Battle" which prompted me (better late than never) into the Narnia series.
Amanda
This was a compilation of different stories about unicorns. I love unicorns and these stories were fun to read. I was given a glimpse at some different authors also.
Betsy
I was kind of disappointed that I made the effort to buy this book, it was more a prequel of stories for Into the Land of the Unicorns and wasn't really about Cara.
Mollie
Jul 16, 2007 Mollie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves Unicorns
Shelves: youngadult, fantasy
This is one of my favorite books of all time. Every story is magic. I almost cried when it was over, just because it was over and I had no more to read.
Primadonna
Beautiful stories, enticing illustrations. Perfect for the little girl within, who still believes in unicorns. (I do, by the way...)
Alicia
The stories were endearing, the characters were believable and the plots were fantastic!
I read it over and over again!
Courtney
a collection of unicorn stories that capture the imagination and first opened me up to coville's unicorn series
Beth
One of my childhood faves...I was fascinated by all stories about unicorns...still am, I'll admit :)
  • By Fire, By Moonlight (Unicorns Of Balinor, #4)
  • The Unicorn Sonata
  • Here There Be Unicorns
  • Red Unicorn (Unicorn, #3)
  • Spellfall
  • The Princess Tales, Volume I (The Fairy's Mistake, The Princess Test, Princess Sonora and the Long Sleep)
  • Swept Away (The Secret of the Unicorn Queen, #1)
  • Birth of the Firebringer (Firebringer, #1)
  • San Domingo: The Medicine Hat Stallion
  • The Girl, the Dragon, and the Wild Magic (Rhianna, #1)
  • Moonsilver (The Unicorn's Secret, #1)
  • The Unicorn
  • Curse of the Ice Dragon (Keepers of the Stones, #1)
  • Firebirds: An Anthology of Original Fantasy and Science Fiction
Into the Land of the Unicorns (Unicorn Chronicles, #1) Song of the Wanderer (Unicorn Chronicles, #2) Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher (Magic Shop, #2) My Teacher is an Alien (My Teacher is an Alien, #1) William Shakespeare's: A Midsummer Night's Dream (Shakespeare Retellings, #2)