Start by marking “Star Born” as Want to Read:
Star Born
read book* *Different edition

Star Born (Pax/Astra #2)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  841 ratings  ·  42 reviews
When Raf Kurbi's Terran spaceship burst into unexplored skies of the far planet Astra and was immediately made welcome by the natives of a once-mighty metropolis, Kurbi was unaware of three vital things:

One was that Astra already harbored an Earth colony -- descended from refugees from the world of the previous century.

Two was that these men and women were facing the grea
Published 1973 by Littlehampton Book Services Ltd (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about Star Born, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Born

Edward McKeown

Star Born is the exciting sequel to The Star Are Ours. After a nuclear was, a small band of Free Scientists breaks free of the Dark Age being imposed on the shattered Earth by Pax. In a sleeper starship some fity humans escape across space to a world they name Astra to disappear from the pages of human history. They find freedom, but not paradise, on a world that also has fallen from war. The remnants of two native species, the peaceful mer-folk, and the survivors of “Those Others” a xenophobic
Thom Swennes
This story reads like a 1950’s B-rated movie. This is probably caused from an absence of science and an excess of fiction, which was often the norm for that era. Another eccentric trait of the times and this novel is that characters from the future seem to regress with weapons and clothes to an almost medieval time. Although Andre Norton (pseudonym for Alice Mary Norton) is a prolific and renowned science fiction writer, in my opinion, this isn’t her best work. I found it one dimensional, unimag ...more
Matt Sears
From my little blog pulpaweek.blogspot.com

Right from the start 'Star Born' was an enjoyable read- chapter one has space refugees, stoic merpeople, giant lizards, an ancient evil civilization, and telepathic bunnies! Andre Norton is somewhat respected in Sci-Fi circles, so I did a little research on him. Well, it turns out 'Andre' was actually Alice Norton's pen name, and then later she legally changed her name from Alice to Andre. This lady wrote about 300 books, most which involved swords or la
Becky
"What of our children—the second and third generations born on this new world? They will have no memories of Terra's green hills and blue seas. Will they be Terrans—or something else?"
—Tas Kordov, Record of the First Years

Starborn follows two young men, as their adventures cross paths in enemy territory. The first young man, Dalgard, is of Terran origin, but is more like a new species of human on another planet. His coming-of-age quest becomes a fight to save his people and their allies’ way o
Lise
"Star Born" was written in 1957 and is the second novel of the Astra series. As such, you might expect it to be extremely dated. That’s the good thing about Andre Norton. Her focus is on the characters not on technology. Not that it would have mattered in the end, not really. I found "Star Born" among my books and discovered that I hadn’t read it. Shocker, but a pleasant surprise.

Our two main protagonists in "Star Born" are Raf Kurbi from Terra and Dalgard Nordis from Homeport. Like so many of N
Dean Sault
This story is about the human descendants who left Earth in Andre Norton's prior story, The Stars Are Ours. In the time since the refugee humans colonized Astra, tension has grown from the devolved natives of a once great empire that originally populated the planet.

A space exploration ship from Earth arrives at Astra, unaware of the secret human colony or the growing antipathy toward all humans from the planet's original descendants. The newly arrived humans provide valuable technology to the al
Matthew Lippart
The second book in the Andre Norton collection I threw onto my Kindle, and I enjoyed this one much more than the first. On the surface a similar story about a young man going out on his own (with on again, off again companions), but the story line in this one was far more interesting. They had about four different species interacting in different ways, and a bit of intrigue tossed in for good measure- who can Raf trust? Who can the merman trust? Who can anyone trust? Oh God, is the Pax back?

This
John
Exploratory ship from Earth lands on planet where, centuries before, an earlier colony of human refugees had landed and allied itself with telepathic amphibians against the planet's degenerate and vicious former masters. This one is reminiscent of a Barsoom tale, what with the warring semihuman sentient species and nonsentient predators. I can appreciate how well crafted Norton's tales are now, more than when I first read them as a tween/teen, and though the technology has definitely not aged we ...more
Jim
Review

Dalgard Nordis, a terran on Astra, goes through a series of adventures which reflect Andre Norton's preoccupation with social problems on a broad if simplified ?? and the possibility of life on another planet in another solar system like Earth's. Dal people are fourth or fifth generation settlers but remember Earth well enough be disturbed by the arrival of another space ship. Its passengers, discovered and helped by Dalgard after an accident, are the cause of another discovery, the solv

Flosi
An author with an extraordinary mind to bring science fiction to the common man. We are living in that world now, well not all of it. I love re-reading these novels of the 40s and 50s.
This was a really fun book. Light reading and interesting plot. I'd love to read a sequel of both the main characters to see how the experiences of this book affect them in the next. :)
Valerie
As noted in the review for The Stars Are Ours! (qv), this is not exactly a sequel. It's from several generations later, and the Earth-human hero, Dalgard Nordis, far from being 'Star Born', was born and raised on Astra.

The racist tendencies implicit in The Stars Are Ours! become more fully developed in this book. Norton might have thought that she was not racist because the racism involved is more properly 'speciesism', and because only certain species are singled out for blanket vilification.
Anthony Ragan
Having read way-too-much politics and history lately, I needed a break and felt the urge for some classic science fiction. Andre Norton's "The Star Born" fit the bill nicely. (The edition I read, bought from Amazon's Kindle store, has a different cover)

Norton's story begins as the tale of Dalgarth, a human teen on his coming-of-age trip with his "merman" (think large, humanoid otter) friend Ssuri. Humans are not native to this world, having come here centuries before after escaping a tyrannical
SFReader
Star Born is the exciting sequel to The Star Are Ours. After a nuclear was, a small band of Free Scientists breaks free of the Dark Age being imposed on the shattered Earth by Pax. In a sleeper starship some fity humans escape across space to a world they name Astra to disappear from the pages of human history. They find freedom, but not paradise, on a world that also has fallen from war. The remnants of two native species, the peaceful mer-folk, and the survivors of 'Those Others' a xenophobic ...more
Happydog
Jan 11, 2008 Happydog rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: andre norton completists
Norton is probably best known for her Witch World series. This is a book in the "Astra" series, chronicling a group of Earthmen who escaped a repressive fundamentalist regime for a new world.

The book is entertaining, but it isn't Norton at her best. It seems skeletal, with little exploration of its characters and little overall information. We're given the good guys and the bad guys, and the story plays itself out. The malevolent aliens aren't explored in any detail, and the plot is fairly simp
Carl V.
Star Born packs quite a lot of storytelling punch in its brief 187 pages. Andre Norton’s 1957 story examines such issues as slavery, racial prejudice, apocalyptic warfare and governmental oppression and wraps it all up in the kind of adventure-filled story that was a pleasure to read as and adult and would have had me gazing heavenward as a child. Star Born is an example of fine world-building and classic space adventure that remains accessible and surprisingly relevant 55 years after its releas ...more
Freadizt StupiT
Mindless action-adventure "Harmful people vs. harmless people".
Dave
Highly enjoyable. True classic Sci-Fi, with the story dependent on human (and some non-human)nature, rather than devices or technology - thus making this a timeless book. Confronting moral dilemmas and responding to human fundamentals are the true base of this story. While there is a good closing to the story, be forewarned that it is not a bundling of all of the loose ends. Instead, like good sci-fi, it makes you want more with its "what could/shall be".
Denise
Another of Andre Norton's awesome space epics. I may have to go reread "The Stars are Ours" again.

I had a harder time than normal getting into this one. Normally Andre Norton's works are quick reads...not so this time, but I'm not sure this was the book's fault.

The one thing that could have been more clear were the transitions between character points of view. There were times I was confused with who was thinking/talking etc.
Nadine Jones
When I was young, I inhaled every Andre Norton book that my local library had, so this is likely a re-read for me. The cover art brought back a rush of memories, but the story itself does not, so it's sort of fresh all over again for me. Fast and fun action-adventure-on-an-alien-planet story.

This book sort of fell apart in the second half and started to feel a little ... thrown together. But still enjoyable.
D.C. Musgrove
Andre Norton is one of my famous golden age sci-fi authors. Star Born is also a favorite of her early works, depicting a far away planet's struggle to recover their civilization after a terrible war. They are unexpectedly aided by the arrival of a Terran exploration party searching for new inhabitable worlds.
Baron Greystone
Another older SF novel in my nostalgia trend. Slightly better than the average Norton yarn. Still predictable by today's standards, but the characters have interesting viewpoints that might not have been used in a more modern piece, making them a bit more refreshing to read about.
David
Good solid story-based, character-focused sci-fi (as opposed to "hard" sci-fi). Written in 1957, it still holds up today. A rather quick read. Nothing momentous here, but worth it. I've not read any of her other books so I can't compare, but now I'm intrigued.
Fredrick Danysh
Pax, a global dictatorship, takes over Earth and puts an end to space travel. But not before a group of rebels escape in suspended animation in an attempt to colonize new worlds and restore freedom.
Bigal-sa
I really enjoyed this one, in spite of errors in the version I have.

I feel that some of the indies wanting to get into alien species/cultures story lines could learn a great deal by reading this.
Tracey
Andre Norton is one of the first half-dozen or so science fiction authors I can remember reading in my late elementary school years - I was fooled by her gender-neutral name for years!
Doris
This story was well written and when it was first published it was top of the heap. It deals with the problem many people face - them and us and racial differences.
Jim
Meh. Premise sounded good, but the writing style grated, and the climax of the book was basically skipped over. My first Norton book and maybe my last.
Rob Roy
A darn good read. There are two major characters, and alternating chapters follow one or the other. They are the same, but different.
Lindsay
Quick sci-fi read which held my interest. Quite a few typographical errors in this version which was a bit annoying.
  • The Colors of Space
  • The Cosmic Computer (aka Junkyard Planet)
  • Beyond The Farthest Star
  • Spacehounds of IPC
  • Star Dragon
  • The Black Star Passes
  • Police Your Planet
  • Black Projects, White Knights: The Company Dossiers (The Company, #4.5)
  • Through the Eye of a Needle (Needle, #2)
  • City at World's End
  • Planet of the Damned
  • Dinosaur Planet Survivors (Dinosaur Planet, #2)
  • Broken Bulbs
  • The Survivors (Ragnarok, #1)
  • Time's Edge (Time's Edge, #1)
  • Sunborn (The Chaos Chronicles, #4)
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. The androgynous Andre doesn't really say "male" ...more
More about Andre Norton...

Pax/Astra (2 books)
  • The Stars are Ours (Pax/Astra, #1)
The Elvenbane (Halfblood Chronicles, #1) Elvenblood (Halfblood Chronicles, #2) Elvenborn (Halfblood Chronicles, #3) Witch World (Witch World Series 1: Estcarp Cycle, #1) The Time Traders (Time Traders/ Ross Murdock, #1)