For the Children's Sake: Foundations of Education for Home and School

For the Children's Sake: Foundations of Education for Home and School

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  1,151 ratings  ·  106 reviews
Based upon a Christian understanding of what it means to be human, this book can help parents and teachers awaken young minds and give them a new richness, stability, and joy for living.
Audio CD
Published December 1st 2007 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published September 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about For the Children's Sake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For the Children's Sake

Jamie Cain
Mar 01, 2010 Jamie Cain rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jamie by: Lorrie Deringer
This is one of the best books on education I have ever read. WHile I am not a home-schooler (I am headmaster of a classical Christian school), Macaulay's introduction to Charlotte Mason will go on the "reread periodically" pile.

I appreciate Macaulay's style--free, casual, and engaging. Her writing is more than readable; it's a joy to read. I finish reading and feel refreshed. In this, she joins a select group of authors in my experience.

Her content is excellent too. She carefully parses Charlott...more
Leah Beecher
What an unbelievable treasure finding this book was for me. Feeling that the reasons I was going to start homeschooling my two oldest daughters being, I did not like their current public school and we could not afford private education, were both negative reasons, and would make for a negative experience of home education, I agonized over what philosophy of home education I wanted to embrace. It is very important to grab hold of a positive reason to teach at home, for a happy home and happy chil...more
Ryan Handermann
One of the best books I have ever read about education. This work is essentially an exposition of Charlotte Mason's work on education in the late 19th century, with a more Christian slant from Macaulay. She advocates that children are people (a novel idea), each with individual needs and talents, hence, education should be catered specifically to each child, and not handed out in uniform boxes. This means things like shorter school days, math in the morning, science as real life exploration, giv...more
I give this book 5 stars!!! I highly recommend it to all!

I had to pay some late fees to the library in order to finish it, but it was so worth it. I'd love to own a copy of this book. It drove me crazy that I couldn't highlight it and mark it up.

This book really cemented in my mind the value of the Charlotte Mason Education style. It is so practical, clear, & Christian-based. Any parent or teacher will benefit from its values and ideas. A great resource for public, private, and homeschool.

C...more
Vivian
These days it seems the only people familiar with the name Charlotte Mason are those who have contemplated educating their children at home. Even then, it is through word-of-mouth or stumbling upon a convention workshop or perhaps a magazine article that one is exposed to Charlotte Mason's philosophy and methodology. I was one of those people. I would have loved to have had this book fall into my hands during my child-raising years. In under 200 pages one is presented a Charlotte Mason "crash co...more
Ali
The first homeschooling book I ever read. This book opened my eyes to my God-given responsibility to provide a quality Christian environment for my children to learn. It also introduced me to Charlotte Mason, a Christian educator who believed children are thinking, feeling persons with all the personality and attributes of adults; not merely a vessel to be filled, but "a spirtual organism, with an appetite for all knowledge." I highly recommend this book for those thinking about homeschooling!
Melissa
This is one of those books that I know I will continue to come back to again and again over the years as our children go. A timeless call to true education and all that it encompasses. It inspired me and gave me hope!
Ginny
So thankful God put Charlotte Mason on earth and that she so openly shared her experiences in education. What a breath of fresh air, this needs to be read by every principal, educator, parent, grandparent, aunts, uncles, etc. So edifying and what a great foundation for living the abundant life God wants for everyone. Glad I can implement these principles in my own life as well as in my days raising my children.

Macaulay does a great job of relaying the work and philosophy of Charlotte Mason and...more
Stacey
Jul 11, 2008 Stacey rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with kids
Recommended to Stacey by: Kim Davis
I read this book to help me formulate what I want for my kid's education. The author rejects most of our current education system as too restrictive and is in favor of a more "real" education based on life and relationships. If it sounds hokie, it isn't. Instead she encourages you to expose your children to new experiences, books, art, and people, and allow them to determine what they've learned (as opposed to asking them directed questions and giving them multiple choice tests. She notes that t...more
Ruth
I just finished reading this book. It was written by a woman who was impressed with the ideas of Charlotte Mason, an educator working in England beginning in approximately 1850. Charlotte Mason is a big name in homeschooling because she had a very distinct educational philosophy, generally a bit gentler, less rushed, and child-centric than your average approach. Susan, the author of this book, presents some of Charlotte Mason's ideas in a more modern light and adds her own research and observati...more
Emily Powers
This book will sit on my nightstand, at the ready, indefinitely. For the Children's Sake and Charlotte Mason's educational theory have helped me to realize, "Christians can't develop a Christian view of education by accepting the usual aims and views our society and then adding a 'Christian message' or interpretation. No, we start from a different basis. We have another worldview" (Susan Schaeffer Macaulay). This book is foundational for all Christian parents, regardless of whether you choose to...more
Sara
This book wasn't exactly what I expected, probably because it is so overtly Protestant. It reminded me of some of my first experiences in home school. We had Christian-based course work, which irritated me greatly. I'm not sure why, but it did...and still does. The first part of Macaulay's book, I viewed with distaste, especially when she recommended Pilgrim's Progress as an interesting, suitable read. My brother and I loathed that book in home school. It lacks interest and subtlety. I stopped r...more
Jess
I loved this book. I enjoyed the perspective of children as real people. Don't treat them as children but as humans with minds and interests and talents and abilities to make connections. They learn better than we can with their curious, stretchable minds. I love the thought that we ought not to get in their way with too much structure, wasting time with going at too slow or too fast a pace. Education is to be catered to the child, not to the age level.
At first, Macaulay was defensive about pres...more
Betsy
This book is SO inspiring .... in its second half. I found the first part a little too wordy and didn't always agree with everything. But when Macaulay starts really unpacking Charlotte Mason's philosophy in terms of actual education, I was fully on board. For those familiar with Francis Schaeffer's philosophy, you'll recognize the clear influence he had on his daughter! We need more books like this that encourage the viewing of the learner as made in the image of God, the idea that all truth is...more
Ashley
From the perspective of a mother with two young children not yet in school I found this book instructional and comforting. The idea that education does not have to be confined within the walls of a classroom and that much of education happens when the child is free to roam and explore resonates with me. The author does a good job of explaining Charlotte Mason's foundations for education as well as providing practical examples of what this type of education would look like. It sounds not just ach...more
Lisa
I had high expectations for this book and it disappointed me somewhat. It was definitely worth reading to get a good overview of the Charlotte Mason method of education. However, Mrs. Macaulay was at times preachy and exclusive in her view. I was expecting a more balanced view given her parents. For someone that is really devoted to Charlotte Mason, this would be a treasure of a book, I'm sure.
Diane
Apr 28, 2009 Diane rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents and teachers
Recommended to Diane by: Cindi
This book gave me valuable insight into how excellent education can be a reality for children in any circumstance - whether poor or affluent, in public school, private or homeschool. And it made me want to take some serious initiative into providing a better educational experience for my children. I'm considering educating my kids at home next year because the social environment at their school (public) has been so apalling, and because I know they could have a much richer learning experience th...more
Jami
One of the greatest books I've read regarding education. Even though my teaching experience has been in the public school system, this book gives great insight into activities and ideas I can do with my students in class and my children at home. One of the most refreshing themes is that education is not compartmentalized, but is weaved within the fabric of life... Each moment is an opportunity for both student/teacher and parent/child to learn more about our world. Highly recommend!
Michael
This is a great introduction to the educational philosophy of Charlotte Mason. Macaulay is clearly an expert and her passion translates well from the page. Many of Charlotte Mason's principles are wide-ranging, allowing them to be applied in nearly any area of education. While this is of great benefit to education, referencing them in the book so many times can seem a bit redundant. At times the writing is a little dry and so it drags, but ultimately Macaulay excels in showing the reader how imp...more
Katy
Whereas this book has some good insights in Christian Homeschooling, it is so full of Pelagianism that it is not worth your time to read it. If you are looking for a good book on education, I would recommend looking into one of these instead. If you do read this book, please prayerfully check what is said about Christianity, and sin with what God says in the Bible.

Recovering the Lost Tools of Learning (Wilson)
Repairing the Ruins (Wilson)
Paideia of God (Wilson)
The Well-Trained Mind (Bauer)
The We...more
Melissa
This book keeps being recommended to me, but I am not a fan. Accidentally checked it out AGAIN, only to remember that I've already NOT read it before.
Reading this book at times was a challenge for me. It was rather dry, but I wasn't expecting excitement in an education book.

This did help me better understand Charlotte Mason's philosophy on education.
Allison
A wonderful primer to Charlotte Mason-style education.
Karyn
I feel quite inspired having read this book. At times it seemed slow and word-y, but the content made up for both.

Part of me wishes I had the opportunity to educate my children exclusively using the Charlotte Mason philosophy, but I know myself. Since we'll be schooling at home for the time being, I think it's best for me to stick to more of a classical style with a Charlotte Mason bent.

(Note: This book seems to explain Charlotte Mason's thoughts on education in a clear way--some of the others I...more
Salvador
Although the author makes some good and valid points about educating and raising children, much of what she says is within the context of Christianity. I rate this this book 1 star because unlike the author, I don't think Christianity is absolutely true and all other religions are false. I also can't promote a book on education that in reality is nothing more than a blueprint for the Christian indoctrination of children. Religion is a personal choice and children should be allowed to make that c...more
Sue
This book is based on Charlotte Mason's writing, talking about home education. There's lots of common sense in this book, and some ideas which surprisingly overlap with the modern 'taking children seriously' non-coercive style of home education that's so popular in the UK. However as this book is written from a Christian perspective, there's some emphasis on discipline (in the gentlest of senses) alongside questions about creativity and mutual respect.
Brandie
A very interesting book indeed. A great read for those that are looking into using a Charlotte Mason method of education for their children.
I will admit some spots were a bit hard to read. I wasn't excatly sure what she was talking about once or twice, but overall it was an extremely informative book. I still need to do some more CM reading to really get it, and probably I need to put it into practice for a while and it will really start to make sense!
Mark Nenadov
This is Francis Schaeffer's daughter's book on education in the school and home. This is my first exposure to the educational philosophy of the British educator Charlotte Mason. I enjoyed reading it, even though I feel the presentation could have been improved. I feel that even if you aren't necessarily looking to receive a "philosophy of education", there's a lot of good tidbits in this one about parenting and day-to-day education for kids.
Nikki Powers
Feb 27, 2013 Nikki Powers rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents
Recommended to Nikki by: Many other books I've read
This is a book that I want to reassign myself to listen to every year. It is so full of perspective and thoughtful insight from one of the greatest educating minds there has been (Charlotte Mason). You get a pretty thorough understanding of Miss Mason's philosophies with this book. This is not just for homeschoolers, but for anyone involved with educating children, or wanting to be their child's educational advocate.
Adam
Solid foundations for compassionate education.
  • A Charlotte Mason Companion: Personal Reflections on the Gentle Art of Learning
  • Educating the Wholehearted Child
  • The Original Homeschooling Series (Charlotte Mason's Original Homeschooling #1-6)
  • A Charlotte Mason Education: A Home Schooling How-To Manual
  • Honey for a Child's Heart: The Imaginative Use of Books in Family Life
  • When Children Love to Learn: A Practical Application of Charlotte Mason's Philosophy for Today
  • The Three R's
  • 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum: Choosing the Right Educational Philosophy for Your Child's Learning Style
  • The Way They Learn
  • Recovering the Lost Tools of Learning
  • The Successful Homeschool Family Handbook
  • The Well-Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education at Home
  • The Handbook of Nature Study
  • Home Learning Year by Year: How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum from Preschool Through High School
  • Homeschooling for Excellence
  • Family Matters: Why Homeschooling Makes Sense
  • The Core: Teaching Your Child the Foundations of Classical Education
  • How Children Learn
How to be Your Own Selfish Pig: And Other Ways You've Been Brainwashed For the Family's Sake Something Beautiful from God When Children Love to Learn: A Practical Application of Charlotte Mason's Philosophy for Today Books Children Love: A Guide to the Best Children's Literature

“No parent/home/child/teacher/school has an all-round 100 percent wholeness. We all have limitations and problems. But I must never think it is all or nothing.
Perhaps I'd like to live in the country, but I don't. Well, maybe I can get the family to a park two times a week, and out to the country once every two weeks.
Maybe I have to send my child to a not-so-good school. Well, maybe we can read one or two good books together aloud. If you can't give them everything, give them something.”
2 likes