Start by marking “The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Volume Two” as Want to Read:
The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Volume Two

The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Volume Two (The Science Fiction Hall of Fame #2)

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  2,560 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Contents:
Call Me Joe (1957) by Poul Anderson
Who Goes There? (1938) by John W. Campbell, Jr.
Nerves (1942) by Lester del Rey
Universe (1941) by Robert A. Heinlein
The Marching Morons (1951) by C. M. Kornbluth
Vintage Season (1946) by Henry Kuttner and C. L. Moore
...And Then There Were None (1951) by Eric Frank Russell
The Ballad of Lost C'Mell (1962) by Cordwainer Smith
Baby Is T
Published September 13th 1973 by Gollancz (first published January 1st 1973)

To ask other readers questions about The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Volume Two, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Volume Two

Stephen
5.0 stars. I have not read all of the books in this collection but will comment on the ones I have:

Call Me Joe (Poul Anderson)(1957): 6.0 Stars (One of my All Time Favorite Stories). Outstanding story about exploring and terraforming the surface of Jupiter through the use of bio-mechanical life forms whose consciousness is controlled via remote control with researchers above the planet. A story of identity and quality of life.

The Marching Morons (C.M. Kornbluth)(1951): 5.0 to 5.5 Stars. Satirica
Bruce
So far:

"Call Me Joe" by Poul Anderson -- excellent

"Who's Out There?" by John W. Campbell -- Good page turner, interesting premise of a chameleon-like alien (the alien in Howard Hawks' classic horror film based on this story, The Thing, did not have this power), but a little too rushed and slapdash to be wholly convincing.

"Nerves" by Lester del Rey -- There's a good story here, but, as told, is rather a mess -- verbose, unorganized, with the technical aspects of the story (involving a Chernobyl-l
Steven Peterson
This is a treasure trove of older science fiction classic novellas. Authors here include such worthies as Poul Anderson, John Campbell, Jr., Lester del Rey, Robert Heinlein, C. M. Kornbluth, Henry Kuttner and C. L. Moore, Eric Frank Russell, Cordwainer Smith, Theodore Sturgeon (progenitor of Sturgeon's Law, "90% of everything is crud," if I recall accurately), H. G. Wells, and Jack Williamson. This volume was published originally in 1973 (the version, in fact, that I have).

Let's look at a coupl
Tracey
Comments/Reviews of the novellas in this anthology:

"Call Me Joe" - Poul Anderson. An artificial creature on the surface of Jupiter is psychically linked to a cripple in an orbiting spacestation. But who is controlling whom? Quite an enjoyable read.

"Who Goes There?" John W. Campbell Jr (as Don A. Stuart). A polar expedition discovers an alien - what happens when it is thawed? Meh - interesting concept, I guess - but the writing didn't really move me.

"Nerves" - Lester del Rey - A crisis at a nuc
Gavin Otteson
Oct 23, 2007 Gavin Otteson rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of literature.
An anthology of epic proportions in both concept and literary execution. Volumes IIA and IIB are comprised of novellas instead of short stories like Vol. I which is why it is split into two sub-volumes. However it packs a serious punch and sits near the top of my recommendation list for anyone interested in fiction.
Taylor
Stories too long to be in Vol 1. This is for both 2a and 2b

My favorites:
2A:
Heinlein's "Universe"
Eric Frank Russel "... And then there were none"
Sturgeon "Baby is Three"

2B:
Asimov "The martian way"
Blish "Earthman Come Home"
Vance "The Moon Moth"
Charles
These are mostly of novella length rather than short stories, including "Who Goes There," the story that was filmed as "The Thing."

Great collection.
Williwaw
Okay, so I cheated a bit. I did not re-read "The Time Machine," by H.G. Wells. I think I've probably read that story twice before and I've probably seen the excellent and faithful George Pal movie (1960)a couple times, as well. It is a good story and was worthy of inclusion in this book.

My favorite selection here is " . . . And Then There Were None," by Eric Frank Russell. This has got to be one of the most hilarious works of fiction that I have ever read. (If you love Vonnegut, my guess is tha
Rasheed
Call Me Joe (1957) by Poul Anderson 5/5
Who Goes There? (1938) John W. Campbell 5/5
Nerves (1942) by Lester del Rey 5/5
Universe (1941) by Robert A. Heinlein 5/5 1st part of Orphans of the Sky - 2nd part equally enjoyable
The Marching Morons (1951) by C. M. Kornbluth 3/5
Vintage Season (1946) by Henry Kuttner & C.L. Moore 3/5
...And Then There Were None (1951) by Eric Frank Russell 4/5
The Ballad of Lost C'Mell (1962) by Cordwainer Smith 3/5
Baby Is Three (1952) by Theodore Sturgeon 5/5
The Time Mach
Michael Tildsley
This is another mixed bag of sorts. There are some really wonderful novellas in this collection, but also a fair share of clinkers. Some were clinkers for me personally because I first experienced them in a more entertaining media, such as "Who Goes There?" (which John Carpenter handled very well in his remake of The Thing) and "The Time Machine" (which I personally feel was handled better in both movie adaptations, because the time-traveler has more to gain or lose in his travels).

My favorites
Steven Peterson
Another set of terrific works, this time novellas, in the Science Fiction Hall of Fame. Ben Bova edited this volume. Some of nthe classics that I have enjoyed immensely that are included: Isaac Asimov, "The Martian Way," Algis Budrys, "Rogue Moon," Frederik Pohl, "The Midas Plague," and Jack Vance's "The Moon Moth."

A fine collection of novellas. . . .
Craig
This is another collection of true classics. H.G. Wells, one of Heinlein's best, one of Eric Frank Russell's best, terrific stories from Cordwainer Smith and Poul Anderson, the Campbell story that became famous films, stories by Lester Del Rey and Jack Williamson that were better than their longer novel versions... Classic stuff!
Bruce Delaplain
Thanks to Rasheed for setting up this nice review format...

Call Me Joe (1957) by Poul Anderson 3/5
Who Goes There? (1938) John W. Campbell 4/5 (#1 vote getter from SFWA)
Nerves (1942) by Lester del Rey 4/5 (loved it a long time ago. Not as much now)
Universe (1941) by Robert A. Heinlein 5/5 (Great story, especially for young people)
The Marching Morons (1951) by C. M. Kornbluth 2/5 (well written, but extremely distasteful resolution).
Vintage Season (1946) by Henry Kuttner & C.L. Moore 5/5 (Uniq
James Hurley
This is a nice collection of some of the early works of some of the great masters of Sci Fi. My former instructor and mentor Jack Williamson is in this one, and it was one of my first readings of his work. A fun look back.
Mike
Call Me Joe by Poul Anderson: (2.5) Interesting story. Although I found the ending predictable, I liked the journey to get there.

Who Goes There? by John W. Campbell (as Don A. Stuart): (3.5) This to me is classic SF, big scary monsters or is that classic horror?

One of the things that I find dates this is not the technology but the attitudes. The alien is ugly so it must be bad. I think a modern story would have made less of its looks.

As a story it has some nice twists and turns and the ultimat
Mark
My own favorite story is "Mimsy Were the Borogoves". "X-logic" helped me toward a greater understanding of algebra! Well for a while, at least.
Also check out "Macroscopic God"...
Susanna - Censored by GoodReads
Some stories are better than others; but as a whole, a strong collection. My favorites include "The Ballad of Lost C'Mell," by Cordwainer Smith, and "Baby is Three," by Ted Sturgeon.
Stephanie "Jedigal"
Jul 18, 2010 Stephanie "Jedigal" marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stephanie "Jedigal" by: Got it at the 2010 Book Fair w/Beth, Em
Shelves: sci-fi
Volume II (at least two parts, A and B) is "The Greatest Science Fiction Novellas of All Time".
David
This is a great book of science fiction writing. All of the stories are very good.
DaughterDaDa
Classic science fiction stories that defined the genre.
Vivian
While some science fiction anthologies can be hit-or-miss, this one is weighted on the side of a hit. Most of the stories were had something to say, and were interesting enough that I was thinking about them for days after reading, which in my mind is a plus. Some seemed dated, but on the whole the collection was surprisingly fresh and current, even thought the stories dated from 1929 to 1964.
Garrett Mccutcheon
A great collection of science fiction novellas. While no list of "must-read" books will ever be comprehensive or totally agreeable, this volume hits upon a number of real treats, many of which will be unfamiliar to young readers. I believe, however, that it is important to read these once-groundbreaking originals if only for a better appreciation of where the genre has its roots.
Foxtower
Wonderful! Volumes I,IIA and IIB of this series set the standard for excellent science fiction short stories. Like a first love, these volumes become the standard which all other short story collections are compared to, and found wanting. The stories are dated yet timeless. Truly great literature and a wonderful addition to any library..
Shane
I have mixed feelings about some of the stories in this Volume, but the good ones were good enough that I gave it four stars.
Tlingit
Full of classic Science Fiction stories, this is a must have for your reading collection. I have a copy given to me by a psychiatrist from a mental hospital. I have a hard back book without the dust cover.
Luke
A wonderful collection of treasures, humorous, tragic, and dramatic from big names. Lives up to its title.
Ted Mendelssohn
One of the classics; essential for anyone interested in a serious discussion of the genre.
Don Gubler
Not as good a volume 1 of short stories but still filled with great science fiction.
Peter
Great collection of truly thought provoking stories.
Frances
Clean up editions/purchase date on this.
  • The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume 1
  • The Solaris Book of New Science Fiction
  • A Science Fiction Omnibus
  • Famous Science-Fiction Stories: Adventures in Time and Space
  • The Best Military Science Fiction of the 20th Century
  • Women of Wonder, the Contemporary Years: Science Fiction by Women from the 1970s to the 1990s
  • Mission of Gravity (Mesklin, #1)
Ben Bova was born on November 8, 1932 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. In 1953, while attending Temple University, he married Rosa Cucinotta, they had a son and a daughter. He would later divorce Rosa in 1974. In that same year he married Barbara Berson Rose.

Bova is an avid fencer and organized Avco Everett's fencing club. He is an environmentalist, but rejects Luddism.

Bova was a technical writer fo
More about Ben Bova...

The Science Fiction Hall of Fame (5 books)
  • The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume 1
  • The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume 2B
  • The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume 3: The Nebula Winners
  • The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume 4
Mars Jupiter Venus Return to Mars Orion (Orion, #1)