Start by marking “French Without Tears” as Want to Read:
French Without Tears

French Without Tears

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  4 reviews
The play that established Rattigan's name and ran for over 1000 performances in the '30s.
Published March 1st 1996 by Nick Hern Books (first published 1936)

To ask other readers questions about French Without Tears, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about French Without Tears

Lauren
Rattigan’s The Deep Blue Sea ranks as one of the best plays I’ve read in 2012. While I liked French Without Tears, it was a letdown in comparison to my first run-in with Rattigan. At a cram school in the French countryside, a collection of young Englishman study, woo the flirtatious Diana (while ignoring the quiet Jacqueline), and talk. Think British upper-class frat house with a heavy sprinkling of French (without translation - my one-semester-in-college grasp of the language struggled, and, al ...more
Justyna
There is a lot of French in this, which would seem obvious given the title, but as it was written by an Englishman I was a little surprised. For me, it was a little slow-going until the last three scenes. During those, I was actually laughing out loud on the train and I caught myself smiling a lot. A farce involving several men and a couple of women--one of whom is playing with the affections of several men--I thought it was well done and I loved catching the repetition at certain parts.
Jim
Good stuff, good banter
Angela
A little disappointing. It started off charming and fun, but it just didn't end up being well-carried out. There was more language than I can comfortably tolerate, and the characterizations were almost entirely flat. What seemed fun and entertaining in the beginning, without any growth or change, became lifeless and cliche by the too-little-too-late clever ending.
Daniel Taylor
Daniel Taylor marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Rambler
Rambler marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Carmen D'andrea
Carmen D'andrea marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Sofia
Sofia added it
Jun 28, 2014
Syazwani Azizi
Syazwani Azizi marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Gaynor Perry
Gaynor Perry marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2014
pedro
pedro marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2014
Oscar Lopes
Oscar Lopes marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2013
LenaLu.
LenaLu. marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2013
Mai  wageeh
Mai wageeh marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2013
Allan
Allan marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2013
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2013
Sarah Riddell
Sarah Riddell marked it as to-read
May 14, 2013
The Winslow Boy The Deep Blue Sea Browning Version Adventure Story (Acting Edition) Separate Tables