Start by marking “Discovering Kwan Yin, Buddist Goddess of Compassion” as Want to Read:
Discovering Kwan Yin, Buddist Goddess of Compassion

Discovering Kwan Yin, Buddist Goddess of Compassion

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  13 reviews
In this lovely illustrated volume, the author recounts stories of the goddes Kwan Yin, a bodhisattva (one who delays her own full enlightenment to work for the liberation of all beings), and explains Kwan Yin's role in Buddhism. At the same time, Boucher provides meditations, chants, and prayers devised by the Buddhist devotees of Asian and Western heritage so that all rea ...more
Published March 23rd 1999

Be the first to ask a question about Discovering Kwan Yin, Buddist Goddess of Compassion

Danie
This book was interesting in that it illustrated how Kwan Yin touches the lives of different contemporary women, but in that I felt the people chosen leaned too far towards the psychic realm... I expected accounts from monastics, and appreciated the stories that connected women to the traditional form of veneration, but what about the average American woman who venerates Kwan Yin? These portraits were mostly of unique women who incorporated Kwan Yin into a pantheon of other great women, like Mar ...more
T J
If you want to know Kwan Yin or more about her origins, this a good book to read. Peoples stories of their encounters with the goddess are very intriguing and heartfelt. I enjoyed it very much.
Barbara
This small book by Sandy Boucher contains both historic and spiritually significant information about Kwan Yin (Kuan Yin, Quan Yin). Illustrations are in black and white. A nice biography including both books and articles about Kuan Yin is included. Published by Beacon Press in Boston, 1999, it is likely that this book is out of print and not easy to find. It isn't listed on amazon.com or on this site. Well worth the search and the read. Highly recommended for hard to find info on Kuan Yin.
Theresa
This came to me years ago, but I started reading it this past week, when I really needed her healing power and energy. For those wondering about Kwan Yin and her manifestations, the book provided an interesting look at the way women of different religious backgrounds manage to incorporate her into their lives. It helped me to find some peace when I needed it.
Karmacali
What an interesting read...very much had an impact upon me. Compilation of interviews by the author, Sandy Boucher, as well as teachings about Kwan Yin, daily meditations, chants and prayers. Take the information in this book and use it as you will...it may very well mean something different to everyone.
Gina
My women's spirituality group read this & I wasn't something I was looking forward to. But once I got into it, I found it fascinating. And, like a couple of the other women in the group, I started seeing Kwan Yin everywhere. It really opened my eyes and helped me on my path to feminist spirituality.
Hippymomma
This was interesting although a bit fluffy...mostly snippits of stories of the personal practices of women who venerate Kwan Yin. Very Pagan oriented. A few nice suggestions of things to do to add to your practice. NOT really a buddhist book - more pagan.
Dawn Betts-Green
This was not the book I thought it was. Not an academic or even truly Buddhist treatment of Kwan Yin.
Ana
Very well written for the lay person/non Buddhist. Loved it. She is the Virgin Mary of Buddhism.
Katherine
Definitely a women's spirituality book rather than a Buddhism book, if you know what I mean.
Mariana
This book has great stories and I would have liked more depth.
Mamafeelgood
Lovely book that I have shared with many women.
BluePoppy
BluePoppy marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Sherry
Sherry added it
Nov 14, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Pascale Scheurer
Pascale Scheurer marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Rebel
Rebel marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Pedro
Pedro added it
Jun 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Opening the Lotus: A Woman's Guide to Buddhism Turning The Wheel: American Women Creating the New Buddhism Dancing in the Dharma: The Life and Teachings of Ruth Denison Hidden Spring: A Buddhist Woman Confronts Cancer The Notebooks of Leni Clare, and Other Short Stories