Start by marking “Religions of the East: Paths to Enlightenment (The Modern Scholar)” as Want to Read:
Religions of the East: Paths to Enlightenment (The Modern Scholar)

Religions of the East: Paths to Enlightenment (The Modern Scholar)

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  55 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
The main aim of this course is to cultivate basic literacy in the principal religions of Asia: Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism, and Daoism.
Audiobook
Published 2005 by Recorded Books

To ask other readers questions about Religions of the East, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Religions of the East

Jared
Jan 12, 2016 Jared rated it really liked it
Very good study of the eastern religions as taught from the American's perspective. It is very enjoyable to learn of these religions and customs that are so foreign to the Western culture and understandings. The course was not as thorough as I would have liked but was a great introduction and overview to the eastern religions.

The difficulty comes, to me at least, in that Hinduism and Buddhism are very similar as Catholicism and Protestantism are and it is easy to become confused on as to which
Garren
Feb 19, 2014 Garren rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-courses
I now have a much better understanding of the different kinds of Buddhism. The material on Hinduism, Sikhism, Confucianism, and Taoism were mostly review for me. This course is a clear, objective introduction suitable for teen audiences through retired sages.

It's fascinating to see how other cultures have dealt with big questions outside of the familiar Abrahamic traditions of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.
Steve
Apr 28, 2016 Steve rated it liked it
Not exactly a book, but 14 lectures on Eastern religions. A good overview though of course it's impossible to go into any serious detail in this format. The most informative material was that concerning these religions history and development in the US, clearly demonstrating that no religion can exist isolated from its larger culture.
Tara
Jan 09, 2009 Tara rated it really liked it
This was a good survey of eastern religions starting with the Vedas to Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism - Theravadan (s. East Asia), Buddhism in Japan and China, then ending with Confucism. Of course with a survey format there is some broadbrushing of concepts, but not too bad, I especially enjoyed the tradition I didn't know about which was Sikhism. He also asked the same questions and fit each into different categories, e.g. layperson vs monastic based etc. and always talked about how each one unfo ...more
Skylar Burris
Mar 13, 2013 Skylar Burris rated it it was ok
Shelves: eastern-religion
I fairly regularly listen to lectures on religion and literature, and this was less engrossing to me than most. I'm not sure if it was less so because of the format of the lecture (somewhat repetitive) or the content of the coverage (not that deep and too focused on American forms) or the lecturer's style. If I had to tell you a new insight I took away from this …I'd be hard pressed. I feel like I could have read a handful of pages from an encyclopedia and come out just as enlightened.
Bryan
Oct 29, 2011 Bryan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: scholarly theologians
As an overview of the eastern religions I think this course does an okay job. Professor Prothero keeps a good perspective on all the religions from an academic angle.

Three stars for its thorough research and clear presentation.
Emily
Jul 08, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it
This is one of the only college textbooks I'll refer to again and again.
Bookwyrm13
Jan 17, 2012 Bookwyrm13 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-reads
clear and interesting, didnot realize how much of this is rooted in the vedas
Adrienne
Oct 15, 2012 Adrienne rated it liked it
OK basic book on eastern religions, but hardly scratches the surface.
Bill
Nov 13, 2012 Bill rated it really liked it
Very well written. Easy to read. Very informative.
Linnea Laffoon
Jun 18, 2013 Linnea Laffoon rated it it was amazing
interesting :)
David
David added it
Aug 25, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2016
Jen Tagett
Jen Tagett marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Allena Weber
Allena Weber rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2016
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
R. Gabriel Esteves
R. Gabriel Esteves marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Caleb
Caleb marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Margaret Wielenberg
Margaret Wielenberg marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
QueenAmidala28
QueenAmidala28 marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Jamieca Janine
Jamieca Janine marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Davis
Davis rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2016
Angela
Angela added it
Jun 19, 2016
Destiny
Destiny is currently reading it
May 22, 2016
Shaun Henderson
Shaun Henderson marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Pavel
Pavel marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Lynette
Lynette marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Whitney
Whitney rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Stephen Prothero is a professor in the Department of Religion at Boston University and the author of numerous books, most recently Religious Literacy: What Every American Needs to Know—And Doesn't and American Jesus: How the Son of God Became a National Idol. He has commented on religion on dozens of National Public Radio programs and on television on CNN, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS, MSNBC and Comedy Cent ...more
More about Stephen R. Prothero...