Start by marking “Soft Target (Dan Shepherd, #2)” as Want to Read:
Soft Target (Dan Shepherd, #2)

Soft Target (Dan Shepherd #2)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  776 ratings  ·  44 reviews
When a group of armed police in an elite unit turn maverick and begin ripping off drug dealers at gunpoint, undercover cop Dan Shepherd is given his most dangerous assignment yet. His orders are to infiltrate the tight-knit team, gain their confidence, and ultimately betray them. Facing men with guns is nothing new for the former SAS trooper, but it’s the first time he’s h ...more
Published August 1st 2005 by Hodder and Stoughton (first published February 28th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Soft Target, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soft Target

Gemma
I loved this! I read it in a day as I couldn't put it down. This book is the second in the Dan 'Spider Shepherd series but it didn;t matter that I had not read the first one, the story was easy to follow and the characters background is explained throughout.

The story was action packed and perfect example of how 'loose lips sink ships' I loved that it kept me on the edge of my seat and I was also really nervous for Dan. As well as being an excellent crime thriller writer, the author also has an
James
Bah, for some reason my review for this book has gone. Why does this keep on happening to me?!

Anyway, the book. It is great. Pure and simple great, reminded me of McNabs Nick Stone series in some way - not sure how, it just did.

I think the nice blend of SAS and Police officer really brings something new to the table, and I can't wait to read the next one.

I remember now! I mentioned something about how I liked the way that this book made my question things; suicide bombers, and rogue cops and s
Stella
While in the first book of the series the plot was pretty much focused on ONE undercover operation of Spider in this one we have at least THREE parallel stories.

One: Dan having to deal with his 'real life' and the aftermath of his wife's death and how delicate his relationship with his eight-year-old son has become : he feels guilty, he wants to be a present Dad, his actions are being closely followed by the Unit's psychologist, he takes his son back to their house (where his wife had lived) an
ɑƨħŵɑɡ ♥Team Magnus Damora FOREVER♥
Sometimes, choices aren't really choices

I picked this book randomly and because I needed more thriller books in my book collections. Fortunately, This wasn't a disappointment. I instantly liked the story and its tone, which was clear and not confusing. I liked the multiple narrations from different people as I went through the pages. And most importantly, I really admired Daniel Shepard's character. He's an undercover cop, widow and a father to an eight years old boy, cliche I know, but as the s
Ali Turner
I quite enjoyed this novel with it's many story arcs and characters. Their collective actions set of a domino effect that threatens to undermine Dan Shepherd's undercover operations.

For the most part the story line was unpredictable and kept me guessing as to what would happen next (except for the ending). It ties everything up in a neat little bow, which is why this doesn't receive a 5.

I would recommend however, if your a fan of fast paced action thrillers.
Joanne
Enjoyed every word.
Dave
This was the first Stephen Leather book that I've read. I have to say, if this book is anything to go by he's a very good author. The characters were full and three dimensional, and he was very good at getting you (at least in my case) to connect to them as real people.

The plot was very good and and very well told, realistic and believable. Its the sort of book I just didn't want to put down, very engrossing. Full of action, with the technical knowledge to back it up. The little details in every
Huma
Firstly the book is not divided into chapters but just continues scene after scene.
Its based on the life of the hero, what emotional crisis he has to go through at work and at home. Liked it. It was pretty slow in the beginning, I took ages to read the first half but I read the second half in only two days.
Emir
Dec 04, 2009 Emir added it
a good friend (which also my boss) is avid Dan 'Spider' Shepherd fan and i've converted myself :-) Mr Leather always manages to build up the heat and yes, since Tango One (was it?) Dan Shepherd's adventures always got into me. Rite now I'm finishing Live Fire, already long overdue (sorry boss hehe)
Leslie
Enjoyable follow up to the first in the series. Plot is enhanced by the insight into Shepherd's complex life, juggling home and multiple work personas. That part is really well done. Good action story as well for those who like the style.
Heather
Another gripping read from this author, even better than the first. Spider Shepherd is a charismatic lead character you can really get behind while he juggles an insane working life with a complicated home life. Plus he's sexy as hell!
Allen Vincent
This book had my heart in my throat! Hard Landing was fast paced and nail biting but this book exceeded it in complexity. I'm very much looking forward to starting the next book in the series.
Jeff
Picked up a couple of these -- a cut above the usual crime formula; nice character development with the main character.
Mina Van der Woodsen
i don't like mystery novels, but you can't say that i didn't give this one a chance.
Best Crime Books
I need to start by explaining that I am exactly 11 books and 9 years behind in the Spider Shepherd series so I figured it was high time I started to catch up. As soon as I started I only got as far as 5 chapters in and it was game over, nothing in my house was getting cleaned, no dinner cooked and no TV watched. I realised that I have been seriously depriving myself by not reading these and ploughed on and finished this in just 2 days (well a girl has to work and pay bills after all).

I realised
Richard Mulholland
Really cool, best 'Sheppard' novel yet.
Monnie
I'm now working my way through Stephen Leather's series featuring undercover cop and former SAS team member Dan Shepherd, and this is the second (there are eight in all so far, I believe). In this one, he takes on two personas as he tries to juggle assignments to ferret out suspected "dirty" cops and a hitman who's been hired to kill a very mean mobster by the bad guy's wife. Thrown in the mix, so to speak, is a plot by Muslim extremists to put human bombs in the London subway.

It does get a tad
Dan
(Contains potential spoilers)
I love Stephen Leather's work, and above all his Dan Shepherd series, but this one didn't do it for me. I don't understand why it was necessary to have so many stories that kind of tie together but just stop the book from flowing. There were also too many loose ends that don't seem to come to a conclusion but turn out to be merely bylines within the story (the gangs on the train, the fact that the 'gangster's' killing didn't seem to resurface and the whole situation
Gina
This is the second book by Stephen leather that I've finished and I'm hooked, I've started with the Dan Shepherd series. there are so many twist's, and turns in the story, but they make sense at the end. Stephen's writing reminds me very much of Jeffrey Deaver, although Stephen has his own style, and what I like is the personal story of Dan going through the first two books, although he is a undercover police man, (agent), he emphasises with some of his victims.

The story is about Dan Shepherd,
Brian Dyer
I got this book free with a newspaper on a trip to London. Never turn down a free book! This was a decent enough crime thriller with an interesting look into undercover police work. Not OTT either, very grounded.
Pat
See, I knew the series would get better. Enjoyed this a lot.
Mark
Mar 24, 2014 Mark rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: kindle
Fabulous fast paced thriller with multiple intersecting storylines and a cast of believable andsympathetic characters.
Carol Taylor
good follow up
John Davies
Not a bad book. The character of Dan Shepherd is interesting because he's clearly a man struggling to be a good father to his son, and realises that his work as an undercover policeman is causing issues. At the same time, he loves his job, because it gives him an adrenaline rush like he got when he was with the SAS.
The only criticism I have is things get introduced into the story and then get forgotten. (unless future books will address this issue)
Andy
Dan Shepherd is back at it yet again.
I must say Leather is a mastermind! Excellent written, gruelling entertainment. well done.

Absolutely thrilling. the life juggles Shepherd entails: his son, leading a double life, his in-laws and knuckling down with being a rat and betraying fellow cops to bring justice.

nothing but praise for this book, if you are looking for a great night read, get comfortable and start reading.
4.5
Carlos Reyes
El Infiltrado, un libro trepidante en la que se mezcla con maestría la acción con el suspenso. Quedé encantado con la lectura, el desarrollo de los personajes y la personalidad de los mismos está tan bien detallada, que por momentos puedes sentir que sabes como van actuar los protagonistas antes de que lo hagan. Fascinante. Dan Shepherd, un personaje que se ganó un lugar entre mis favoritos.
Jennifer Allan
I loved this book and I think Stephen Leather is an amazing author. The book had me gripped from beginning to end and I finished the book with the urge to move straight onto the next book in the series, Cold Kill. This is definitely a must read for anyone who loves crime/thrillers and I'm sure other Stephen Leather Fans will agree that this book is one which keeps you hooked until the very end.
Chris
Great plot, lots of different story lines running alongside each other, but it wasn't too jumpy. Without chapters I think the whole book flows better. The ending needed to be a big finish - and it was just that!
Ray Hall
I found this book to be an easy read, the main character Dan Shepherd is a really believable undercover police officer who handles himself really well,having been in the SAS.
Allan Batchelor
This is my 2nd Dan Shepherd book and it won't be the last. Always something happening to keep you gripped. Top notch and long may it continue.
  • The Hijack (Stratton, #2)
  • The Patriot Threat (Cotton Malone, #10)
  • Deep Black (Nick Stone, #7)
  • Collusion (Jack Lennon Investigations #2)
  • Face of a Killer
  • Hangman (Abbie Kearney, #2)
  • The Real "Bravo Two Zero"
  • The Firelight of Maalda
  • Crimzon & Clover
  • Last Flight Out
  • Airtight
Stephen Leather was a journalist for more than ten years on newspapers such as The Times, the Daily Mail and the South China Morning Post in Hong Kong. His bestsellers have been translated into more than ten languages. He has also written for television shows such as London's Burning, The Knock and the BBC's Murder in Mind series. For much of 2011 his self-published eBooks - including The Bestsell ...more
More about Stephen Leather...
Hard Landing (Dan Shepherd, #1) Nightfall (Jack Nightingale, #1) The Basement Midnight (Jack Nightingale, #2) Nightmare (Jack Nightingale, #3)