Start by marking “It: How Churches and Leaders Can Get It and Keep It” as Want to Read:
It: How Churches and Leaders Can Get It and Keep It

It: How Churches and Leaders Can Get It and Keep It

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  862 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews
When Craig Groeschel founded LifeChurch.tv, the congregation met in a borrowed two-car garage, with ratty furnishings and faulty audiovisual equipment. But people were drawn there, sensing a powerful, life-changing force Groeschel calls “It.” What is It, and how can you and your ministry get—and keep—It? Combining in-your-face honesty with off-the-wall humor, this book tel ...more
Published July 23rd 2008 by Zondervan (first published July 18th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It

Joe
Oct 29, 2009 Joe rated it really liked it
Shelves: ministry
H.L. Hussmann
Jun 17, 2013 H.L. Hussmann rated it really liked it
I originally rated this as two stars and put it down after the first couple chapters. I just couldn't get past the frat-boy, fart joke, rah rah stuff that so many reviewers have posted about. That's fine when I'm golfing with my buddies, but it was difficult when trying to study about church development. I'd love to be friends with the author, I just couldn't focus on reading.

However, after reading several more reviews (this was my first experience with Groeschel and I wanted to know what all th
Jonathan McIntosh
Jan 03, 2012 Jonathan McIntosh rated it really liked it
Shelves: leadership
A short & readable but immensely helpful book for church leaders on grabbing hold of that indefinable something that make thriving ministries tick.

The chapters on vision, focus, camaraderie, and risk are worth the price of the book. It wasn't until the last two chapters, however, that IT distinguishes itself from the vast number of church leadership books.

IT is more than just about learning techniques to get your church to grow... IT is about getting God.

In the chapter on losing your first
Dave
Feb 16, 2009 Dave rated it liked it
This was a quick read. Part autobiographical, part church best practices. Groeschel would not be categorized as a deep thinker, but he is a very practical person. And if what he claims is to be believed, he is a sincere and genuinely God-loving person who is doing the best he can for God in his context. There were some nuggets of gold in the book. I found it distracting that the book was called "It" but he seemed so hesitant or at times unable to define just exactly what "it" is. Came close at p ...more
Phil Whittall
May 18, 2016 Phil Whittall rated it liked it
Craig Groeschel is the pastor of LifeChurch.tv (yes that is it's name) that has thousands of people in multiple places and has made a name for itself with its use of technology and live streaming of worship and preaches to its multiple campuses. His latest book is one on leadership, It: How Churches and Leaders can get IT and keep IT published by Zondervan.

This book irritated and inspired me in almost equal measure. Groeschel is funny and communicates well and he's on to something. Some churches
Hannah
Sep 01, 2009 Hannah rated it liked it
Shelves: christian
Groeschel is a very entertaining writer, and I honour him for that. The book was very enjoyable, and the reflection questions at the end of each chapter were very appropriate, a bonus as books of this genre often make the mistake of including review questions that lead us to conclude we aren't good enough (for anything) and we NEED their book to better ourselves. Groeschel was pleasantly humble and open about his opinions and experiences.
Karen Rabbitt
Nov 05, 2009 Karen Rabbitt rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Karen by: FTC: CMP.LY Disclosure 2
What kind of church we lead does not matter. What matters is if we have "it." Groeschel examines "it" from several different perspectives. The simplest way to think of "it" seems to be..."Have we maintained our 'first love' for Jesus?"

Featuring several case studies of denominationally diverse congregations.
Mike
Apr 24, 2009 Mike rated it really liked it
Jeff
Sep 13, 2010 Jeff rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010-book-list
I liked this book, especially the chapter on vision.

There are levels of buy-in.

1. The people believe in the vision enough to benefit from it.
2. The people believe in the vision enough to contribute comfortably.
3. The people believe in the vision enough to give their lives to it.

"The legendary Walt Disney died before Disney World in Florida was completed. On Opening Day, someone commented to Mike Vance, creative director of Walt Disney studios, "Isn't it too bad Walt Disney didn't live to se
Jerry
Apr 10, 2015 Jerry rated it liked it
Shelves: theology
Groeschel is good as far he goes, but he doesn't go very far. Still, this would be a good book for grumpy and discouraged pastors. There are reasons, beyond gimmicks and info-tainment worship, young people go to his church.
Jeremy
Nov 19, 2014 Jeremy rated it really liked it
This is one of those books that annoyed me greatly as far as style and tone goes, but blessed me greatly as far as content goes. There's a lot of challenging stuff here for church leaders as leaders and as Christians. The section on "Ruin me" in the last chapter would have ben worth buying the whole book for.
Joshua Trombley
Oct 01, 2012 Joshua Trombley rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. At first there were a lot of cheese jokes and way to many brackets. This did not deter me, I continued on. I'm glad I did because there were a lot of nuggets amongst the cheese. Eventually, the brackets subsided and the cheese became a little more tasty, so to speak.

Craig really draws you in and challenges you with his stories. The best part is that it is not l about him and the amazing things he is doing. Craig shares his failures and short comings, gives credit to his team and
Sam
Mar 09, 2013 Sam rated it it was ok
Shelves: own, nonfiction, church
Very good book. He actually got to the meaning of "it," which was frustrating until he did so. Yet overall it was good for understanding church leadership and growth. This book would fall under that category. It was a good read and encouraging, yet I can't help but thinking that it might be best meant for young churches or church plants. Easy read. Liked the biographies, yet I didn't find them relevant because all the leader's profiles came from megachurches. Also, at one point Groeschel said th ...more
Ron Willoughby
Jan 19, 2015 Ron Willoughby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: church-planting
The last two chapters alone are worth the price of the book.
Joshua
Jan 10, 2015 Joshua rated it really liked it
Oh man can I see our church and church staff in this book.
Crystal
Sep 26, 2009 Crystal rated it really liked it
This is one of those books that I think anyone in church leadership should read. If you are on a church staff, a church council, a ministry team, or an active member of any congregation, this book should be added to your Must Read list. Craig Groeschel does an incredible job in this book of being brutally honest about what it takes to become a church that has it. It is never defined, but when reading the book, you know exactly what it is. It is something that no words can illustrate, describe, o ...more
Sherri Anderson
Feb 13, 2014 Sherri Anderson rated it really liked it
Very good book! Makes you realize what you are missing through humor and insight.
tracy mccullough
Great book

I am not a pastor or leader in my church...or I wasn't when I got the book. in the last few weeks God has orchestrated me to step out and start a women's group at my church. This book has provided so much to my personal journey. I believe I will be a much more centered and effective leader after reading it. I never want to lose IT!
Ruth Baker
Apr 11, 2011 Ruth Baker rated it liked it
If you can get past the American "ra-ra-ra" (of which there is much) this book has some really good insights and some really challenging ideas about how we operate. More for church leaders and pastors obviously but really interesting as a church member and how we contribute (or don't contribute) to our church and reach the people that need to be reached.
Well worth reading and can be chewed through in about 2 decent sittings.
Kevin
Apr 22, 2013 Kevin rated it it was ok
This books holds some practical suggestions from Groeschel' s experience as a Pastor. While I wouldn't translate the author's philosophy of ministry to my own, he does offer some beneficial principles from time to time. I can appreciate the relaxed writing style, but the jokes and parentheses became obnoxious after the first chapter or two. It's worth a read. My favorite quote is," Sometimes God guides by what He doesn't' t provide."
Jason Grubbs
Apr 22, 2013 Jason Grubbs rated it really liked it
The "It" factor Groeschel talks about is God's visible blessing on a church. If you are a church leader, you will benefit from reading this book, even though you probably will disagree with the writer from time to time, as I did. Still, he makes me think through what I believe. His chapter on getting God's vision and hammering on it is very good. I also thought the chapter on camaraderie among leaders was super. Well worth your time.
Calvin Whiteside
Nov 04, 2014 Calvin Whiteside rated it it was amazing
amazing...
Thomas Kinsfather
Jun 01, 2012 Thomas Kinsfather rated it really liked it
Good book for church/ministry leaders. Groeschel addresses the mistake that what a church needs is the methods, funds, or facilities that the more prominent ministry has. Instead what churches need is God's blessing and favor. "It" is a call back to the basics of Christ-centered ministry.
Roger Haskins
Apr 20, 2012 Roger Haskins rated it really liked it
A decent little book. It reads pretty quick and offers a lot of good questions. What you get out of the book depends a lot on your self awareness, spiritual maturity, and personal goals and how those things formulate your answers to the questions. Generally, worth the time to read.
Luke Scott
Mar 03, 2015 Luke Scott rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Have you ever sat in church and wondered what was missing? Have you ever looked in the mirror and asked yourself if you're really happy? Have you looked at your church or business and wondered how to be more successful? If any of these are true, this is the book for you.
Michael
Jun 13, 2010 Michael rated it really liked it
This is a good read. If you want to hear God speak into your life and into the ministry he has put you in charge of, then read this book. His chapter on loving the lost is by far the best. His last two chapters are also very good.
Vaughn
Jul 28, 2010 Vaughn rated it it was amazing
This is a must read for Church leaders and lay people alike. Though I'm not the head of any Church ministry, "It" convicted me in how I serve the Church ministries in which I volunteer, and how I lead in my secular occupation.
Steve Robbins
Aug 11, 2011 Steve Robbins rated it liked it
This is a great book. It was absolutely hilarious but held a great message. I would recommend this to every ministry leader. I was challenged to really evaluate my life and ministry to see if "it" is present.
Craig
Dec 01, 2008 Craig rated it it was amazing
One of the best "church growth" books I've ever read. Groeschel is honest, humble and hilarious as he talks about "it," the mysterious quality that a church has when God is actively moving.
Michelle Bodle
Dec 21, 2013 Michelle Bodle rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book on visioning and working for the kingdom. Sadly, female colleagues, none of the vignettes included in this book are of female leaders
  • Essential Church?: Reclaiming a Generation of Dropouts
  • Seven Practices of Effective Ministry
  • Axiom: Powerful Leadership Proverbs
  • Sticky Teams: Keeping Your Leadership Team and Staff on the Same Page
  • Leading on Empty: Refilling Your Tank and Renewing Your Passion
  • Mad Church Disease: Overcoming the Burnout Epidemic
  • Transformational Church
  • Sun Stand Still: What Happens When You Dare to Ask God for the Impossible
  • The Think Orange: Imagine the Impact When Church and Family Collide...
  • The Blessed Church: The Simple Secret to Growing the Church You Love
  • Primal: A Quest for the Lost Soul of Christianity
Craig Groeschel (born December 2, 1967) is the founder and senior pastor of LifeChurch.tv, a church with thirteen locations in six states. He is married with six children and lives in Edmond, Oklahoma, a suburb of Oklahoma City, where LifeChurch.tv is based.

Groeschel was born in Houston, Texas and grew up in southern Oklahoma, attending Ardmore High School. He attended Oklahoma City University, a
More about Craig Groeschel...

“May God bless you with discomfort at easy answers, half truths, and superficial relationships, so that you may live deep within your heart.

May God bless you with anger at injustice, oppression, and exploitation of people, so that you may work for justice, freedom and peace.

May God bless you with tears to shed for those who suffer from pain, rejection, starvation, and war, so that you may reach out your hand to comfort them and to turn their pain in to joy.

And may God bless you with enough foolishness to believe that you can make a difference in this world, so that you can do what others claim cannot be done. To bring justice and kindness to all our children and the poor.

Amen.”
44 likes
“If you want your ministry to have ‘it’, more important than anything else we’ve discussed, you must have ‘it’. When it has filtered through your heart - the rare combination of passion, integrity, focus, faith, expectation, drive, hunger, and God’s anointing - God tends to infuse your ministry with ‘it’. He blesses your work. People are changed. Leaders grow. Resources flow. The ministry seems to take on a life of its own.” 3 likes