Treasure for Lunch

Treasure for Lunch

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  7 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Shaira loves the wonderful Indian foods that her grandmother prepares for her lunches, but she is worried that her school friends will find them strange. With rich full-color illustrations, Treasure for Lunch is a lovely tale of acceptance of difference, and is ideal for children 8 and under.
Published January 1st 1999 by Second Story Press

Ms. D
Treasure for lunch is a about a young girl who is embarrassed by the 'unusual' foods her grandmother packs for her school lunch. I have never heard of bhajias before, but I am interested in trying them now! Shaira, the main character, can inspire other children who are uncomfortable with exposing their culture that there is no need to hide who you are, and that chances are, others will be interested in learning about it. This story helps students see that there is nothing to be embarrassed about...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This book certainly made me hungry for all that Indian food, especially the samoosas! Shaira doesn't want the other kids in her class to see her lunch, for fear they will tease her about her strange Indian food. This reminds me of Rosemary Wells' book Yoko. I wish the author had provided recipes in the back of the book for the three Indian foods mentioned in the story. A nice readaloud during lunch time!
JustOneMoreBook.com
Bhajias, samoosas and imaginative snowy play are front and centre in this appetizing tale of friendship, acceptance and the perceived risk of being seen as different.

You can listen in on our chat about this book on our Just One More Book! Children's Book Podcast.
george
george marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2008
Shenaaz Nanji was born on the ancient island of Mombasa, one of the oldest settlements on the East African coast, and grew up amid a fusion of cultures: Bantu-Swahili, Arabic, colonial British, and East Indian. Every year she visited her grandparents, uncles, aunts, and cousins in Uganda until Idi Amin turned them into refugees. She moved to the United States and lived in upstate New York before m...more
More about Shenaaz Nanji...
Child of Dandelions Indian Tales An Alien in My House Indian Tales Vatican City