Start by marking “Hard to Get” as Want to Read:
Hard to Get

Hard to Get

3.18 of 5 stars 3.18  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  13 reviews
He seemed completely immune to her
Rich girl Lara Schofield had never met a man she couldn't instantly captivate, and in fact she'd made a hobby of collecting hearts and breaking them while she remained personally uninvolved.

Until she encountered Jordan Sinclair. He was devastating, everything a woman could ask for. And he was utterly indifferent to Lara.

But what Lara wante
Published August 1st 1984 by Harlequin Books

To ask other readers questions about Hard to Get, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hard to Get

What can I say about this crazy book? First of all, it was a little weird reading a contemporary that was written in 1984. The heroine was wearing jumpers and lounge pants and I felt nauseated. It didn't even have the appeal of an historical where you appreciate the dress and different setting. The hero was one mean son of a gun! His revenge was OTT, and he didn't lighten up until the last few pages. There is no relief for the reader where the hero gives you some insight into his feelings becaus ...more
Wow! This one was an angst-fest CM style. The spoiled party girl heroine annoyed me so much at the beginning that I thought I would never like her. But the harsh vengeful hero was such an asshole I felt sorry for the poor girl. Hero marries heroine for revenge and has no guilts about doing so cause heroine is a spoiled selfish man eater. She is desperately in love with him but he treats her like shit. Their marriage is hell and when finally the hero reveals his reasons for revenge heroine is in ...more
Well, this hero was pretty darn awful (rape included), but if you can tolerate extreme 80s alpha cruelty, you may be ok with this one. The hero only grovels/reforms at the very end. You also have to tolerate some ridiculous statements about the heroine being "a tease" who basically deserved to be raped based on how she led men on by dancing with them at a party. But somehow I was drawn into the sexist angst-fest despite the spoiled heroine and cold-heartedly vengeful hero, so it was an ok read i ...more
Marie Chow
I read this a few years back when I was younger and more impressionable. At the time, I thought it was an "intense" love story, going back and re-reading it, I'm a bit shocked and appalled. There are major spoilers below:

1. The main love story between the two leads feels like mostly arrogant, slightly spoiled adults who have a burning physical passion that... never develops beyond that.

2. Not only does the hero rape the heroine, he then more or less chastises her (saying that he couldn't believe
the book was actually good but rating goes according 2 taste, n dat book was definitely not 2 my taste. jordan was so mean, such an ass i can't find the words 2 describe him. the rape was no forced seduction. it was violent n a show of hatred. i dunno how lara believed it was a normal act of jealousy on his part. she's a very stupid heroine. i did not like the plot though the book is well written n carole is definitely a talented author
This novel contained a huge rape scene which resulted in a pregnancy. The hero was really screwed up and he did a lot of it for revenge. I don't know how the hero forgave him for all those nasty things he said and did. It was definitely filled to the top with angst.
Tulia Lash
Please do not read this book if you are PMSing!!
I loved it from beginning to end, it was a roller coaster of emotions, I had to stop many times just to close my eyes and take a calming breath, I felt like I had an elephant sitting on my chest most of the time!
I will recommend it 100%
OMG! I can't believe how callous this Hero was?! now this is a real revenge story where the hero lets nothing stops him from achieving his will.
I can't believe how the Heroine stays in love with him after all the harsh and contemptuous treatment she suffers from him.
Fre06 Begum
Another pathetic female lead with no pride! This book had so much potential but Lara just spoilt it with her whiny clingy behaviour.
hero's a jerk. heroine's too soft-hearten.
Victoria Trevino
Jun 11, 2008 Victoria Trevino rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Victoria by: Bowman family
Shelves: books-i-own
This is one of those books that has problem after problem after problem, then explains it to you within the last fifty pages, and then resolves it in the last ten. I wanted to smack the main character nearly all the time because she annoyed me quite a bit. But, nevertheless, it had an interesting plot. Another easy to read except for the fact that the author uses exclamation marks (!) every other sentence.

Has some sexual items in it (including actual sex that's nearly rape).
Lynsey A
I read this so long ago and I do recall the heroine being a bit of a brat but I think I liked it. Definitely need to do a re-read. My rating just may change...
Loved it!!
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
valerie marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
KatieV added it
Aug 15, 2015
Raine marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Portia marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Cherie McAlpine-Foster
Cherie McAlpine-Foster marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Sweetpea marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Ash Jihn
Ash Jihn marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Bunny added it
Mar 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
I have written almost 200 romance novels in contemporary and Regency.

I am a USA Today Bestselling Author and recipient of the 2015 RWA Lifetime Achievement Award. In 2014 I received a Pioneer of Romance Award from Romantic Times in the US and in 2012 I was recognised by Queen Elizabeth II for my 'outstanding service to literature'.

I am very happily married to Peter with six sons, and live on the
More about Carole Mortimer...
Pregnant with the Billionaire's Baby A Past Revenge Wife By Contract, Mistress By Demand The Duke's Cinderella Bride The Return of the Renegade (The Scandalous St. Claires #1)