Our Abe Lincoln

Our Abe Lincoln

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  26 reviews
At last! A book about Lincoln for K-1-- by an award-winning and bestselling author and artist team!

Wise Abe Lincoln said, "No More!" to slavery,
"No More!" to slavery,
"No More!" to slavery,
Wise Abe Lincoln said, "No More!" to slavery,
Many brave days ago.

This simple song, sung to the tune of "The Old Grey Mare," was adapted from an actual campaign song for Lincoln during his...more
Published January 1st 2009 by The Blue Sky Press

John Parker
From the first line of “Our Abe Lincoln” to the last the book sings itself. Drawing upon the annals of Lincoln’s presidential campaign for material this song/book/historical record provides the perfect introduction for young children.

Teachers and children will have many opportunities for success with this book. It can be read, but why? Set to the tune of “The Old Gray Mare,” this book demands a sing-aloud by the reader. Anything less will just miss the point. And the point is that children can...more
CH13_Lisa Matthews
Our Abe Lincoln is a story about Abraham Lincoln which is performed by a local elementary school in honor of his birthday. This delightful picture book uses an old campaign song “The Old Grey Mare” which was popular during Abraham Lincoln’s campaigns for the Presidency to tell the story of one of America’s most beloved presidents. As the curtain rises in a school auditorium, the audience waits with excited anticipation. Soon, a cast of spirited schoolchildren will portray the life of Abraham Lin...more
Leslie
Our Abe Lincoln is a simple, yet factual picture book set to the tune of “The Old Grey Mare,” a traditional folk song that was used as a campaign tune for Lincoln. The book uses a uncomplicated refrain to convey important traits and facts about Lincoln and to teach young children about his life. The pictures that accompany the text show adorable, multicultural children acting out the words to the song for their school play. A complete author’s note explains each of the refrains, and fleshes out...more
Lucy Eskeland
This picture book describes Abe’s life through song (tune of The Old Grey Mare) in verse. The children in a school are performing in front of an audience. Lincoln’s character qualities like honesty, smart, kind, etc., are described in verse. The illustrations show the child-actor as Abe during certain periods of his life. The first illustration shows the children getting ready for the performance, while the last illustration shows the actor Abe, bowing, with the rest of the cast, and the audienc...more
babyhippoface
Aylesworth has adapted a campaign song from the mid-1800's to create this joyful celebration of Abraham Lincoln's life. Each verse of the song is about a specific event or stage in Lincoln's history; McClintock's pen-and-ink drawings of children performing a school play illustrate the scenes. The sheet music to the original song (sung to the tune of The Old Grey Mare) is printed on the end papers. An appendix gives a little more information explaining the hisorical events behind the verses. Thou...more
Rll52013_stephanieroche
This book purports to be a biography of Abraham Lincoln, but unfortunately it is short on real, quality information about this important figure in our nation's history. The cover art and illustrations make this book very enticing to children. The writing takes the form of a popular song from Licoln's campaign for presidency, but each verse is short and barely scrapes the surface in describing Lincoln. I did find in the back of the book an "Author's Note" that expands on some of the ideas from th...more
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Our Abe Lincoln is a singable non-fiction story about America's 16th President. Aylesworth adapted the traditional folk song, "The Old Gray Mare." If the reader is unfamiliar with the tune, the opening splash pages share the musical notes and first stanza. This is a delightful way to learn about history. For young readers and learners, they can easily jump in and join the song (while learning). For older readers and creators, they can use this book as an idea to create their own non-fiction musi...more
Kristy Sikora
This biography of Abe Lincoln is perfect for young children. The text is written as a song, and the illustrations are presented as children putting on a play. It's simplified version of his life is perfect for young readers to learn about this famous and important man! Music teachers or classroom teachers of young children could use this book to introduce children to Abe, as it doesn't have enough "meat" to teach specific biographical details of his life.
Jon Wilson
This is a great introduction to Abraham Lincoln for young students because it is easy to read. Since the book is based on an actual campaign song from Abraham Lincoln's presidency, this could be used as an introduction to primary sources for upper elementary children. They could compare the two to see the difference between different types of sources.
Renee Bush
Great tool for early elementaries and even pre-schoolers. Yes, this is a very basic list of facts, but it is set to a catchy tune--one that the young reader can pick up easily--and the pictures are perfect for the age.

A good choice for any time, but especially when trying to explain what President's Day is all about!
Deanna Donald
This is a great book to read to students when beginning to learn about historical figures, specifically Abraham Lincoln. It provides content that students should know about him in a song format. Students will enjoy having a story give an overview about Abrahm Lincoln in a different way than simply reading a textbook.
Kristen Jorgensen
Just in time for the 200th anniversary of Abraham Lincoln's birth. This book is a fun way for children to be introduced to one of our most famous presidents. My favorite is how the author goes into more detail about the lyrics at the end of the book. I liked it I think kids will too.
Elizabeth
Themes: poetry, history, Abe Lincoln, song, music, slavery, drama, play, recipe

Uses: small storytime, display,

Intro through CCPL Mock Caldecott, repetitive poetry, children portrayed as adults - story told through children's play/drama. Recipe on back for Vanilla Almond Cake
Amy
Genre: Biography, picture book, young child
This is a delightful way to introduce children to a biography. The story gives us some facts about Abe Lincoln and can be sung which hleps a child to be more interested. The illustrations are very enjoyable and help tell the story.
Molly
I love singing this one. I read it to my 4 year old nephew and though he did not understand everything I think he really enjoyed it. I love that this is played out by kids and I think will be a great musical tool for teachers who teach history to use. Ages K+
Sydney Cornett
This story isn't something I would do necessarily for a read aloud lesson, but it is a great way to integrate history within children's literature. If you are doing a lesson over Abe Lincoln, this is definitely a great way to hook the students' attention.
Beth
This is wonderful to sing along to. Children get some background information and character traits of Lincoln that can be build upon. The fact the illustrations are set to a school play makes it even more relatable for children.
Megan D. Neal
I love the pictures, and the information the book contains is good, but found the song treatment of the storyline quite irritating. I do like the extended info in the author's info at the back.
Alyson
My first thought - "not another Abe Lincoln book"; but I really liked the presentation of the school play about Lincoln. Sing along to the the tune of "The Old Grey Mare" and enjoy!
Christian Padgett
Our Abe Lincoln does has a certain melody and rhythm with its words. This is a good book to use during President's Day or when talking about the contributions of Abraham Lincoln.
Franki Sibberson
A good addition to Picture Book Biographies. This one may appeal to younger kids. In the book, a group of kids is putting on a school play about Abe Lincoln so illustrations are fun.
Sam Bloom
Really great premise - a school play on Abe's life - and cute illustrations make this a good book for introducing Lincoln to young folks.
Kari
We love Barbara McClintock's illustrations. I didn't know the tune to this song, so was unable to do the read-aloud justice.
Bethann
I enjoyed this book because of the information it contained. It would be a good way to introduce a lesson.
Rachel
good for middle school to younger audience, but some of my students read it and seemed to like it
Professor
An everyone grade book! it had singing in it...
Shelli
Shelli marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Kristen Ipson
Kristen Ipson marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Meagan
Meagan added it
Feb 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Jim Aylesworth was born in Jacksonville, Florida but as an infant moved from the state. He lived in many places during his childhood: Alabama, Indiana, Georgia, Tennessee, Texas... but by the time Aylesworth was 15 his family had settled in Hinsdale, Illinois and that is where he graduated from high school in 1961.

In 1965, he graduated from Miami University in Oxford, Ohio with a B.A. in English....more
More about Jim Aylesworth...
Goldilocks and the Three Bears The Gingerbread Man The Mitten Old Black Fly Cock-A-Doodle-Doo, Creak, Pop-Pop, Moo