Start by marking “Our Abe Lincoln” as Want to Read:
Our Abe Lincoln

Our Abe Lincoln

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  100 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
At last! A book about Lincoln for K-1-- by an award-winning and bestselling author and artist team!

Wise Abe Lincoln said, "No More!" to slavery,
"No More!" to slavery,
"No More!" to slavery,
Wise Abe Lincoln said, "No More!" to slavery,
Many brave days ago.

This simple song, sung to the tune of "The Old Grey Mare," was adapted from an actual campaign song for Lincoln during his
Published January 1st 2009 by The Blue Sky Press

To ask other readers questions about Our Abe Lincoln, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our Abe Lincoln

Kacie Blakley
Nov 20, 2014 Kacie Blakley rated it really liked it
What is one of the best ways to teach young children about our nation's greatest leaders? Through a song to a tune they already know! This cute picture book is an easy read and gives a brief outline of Lincoln's life. The amazing illustrations portray all the characters as children acting out Lincoln's life, no matter how old or young he is. I think this aspect makes the book more interesting and realistic for young kids. I would have given this book a solid 5 stars if it included a CD with the ...more
Vivika Contreras
Apr 28, 2016 Vivika Contreras rated it really liked it
The book has a full spread, and it is easy on the eye for kids. The book highlights Abe Lincoln in many different, creative ways. The font of the book is what I found the most captivating. I like how it captured you in the book and made it fun to read.

The pictures also made it really easy to understand. It was really helpful to have a visual aide so I could follow along and stay engaged. The repetitiveness of the lyrics really drove the point of the book home too. I would definitely read this b
John Parker
Feb 14, 2009 John Parker rated it it was amazing
From the first line of “Our Abe Lincoln” to the last the book sings itself. Drawing upon the annals of Lincoln’s presidential campaign for material this song/book/historical record provides the perfect introduction for young children.

Teachers and children will have many opportunities for success with this book. It can be read, but why? Set to the tune of “The Old Gray Mare,” this book demands a sing-aloud by the reader. Anything less will just miss the point. And the point is that children can
CH13_Lisa Matthews
Our Abe Lincoln is a story about Abraham Lincoln which is performed by a local elementary school in honor of his birthday. This delightful picture book uses an old campaign song “The Old Grey Mare” which was popular during Abraham Lincoln’s campaigns for the Presidency to tell the story of one of America’s most beloved presidents. As the curtain rises in a school auditorium, the audience waits with excited anticipation. Soon, a cast of spirited schoolchildren will portray the life of Abraham Lin ...more
Leslie
Apr 05, 2009 Leslie rated it really liked it
Our Abe Lincoln is a simple, yet factual picture book set to the tune of “The Old Grey Mare,” a traditional folk song that was used as a campaign tune for Lincoln. The book uses a uncomplicated refrain to convey important traits and facts about Lincoln and to teach young children about his life. The pictures that accompany the text show adorable, multicultural children acting out the words to the song for their school play. A complete author’s note explains each of the refrains, and fleshes out ...more
Nicole Eschweiler
Mar 22, 2015 Nicole Eschweiler rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
In this book it starts off at a elementary school play setting. Then they give you the whole story of Abe Lincoln's life in a cute song format. It is very simple to understand and yet highlights all of the important aspects of his life. It covers his childhood, his presidency including him wanting to end slavery and the Gettysburg Address, and even his death. This is a really cute book for children that is also very factual.
Shelli
Jun 08, 2014 Shelli rated it liked it
It's unfortunate that this library book did not come with an audio cd since the entire book was a song that became popular during Lincoln's campaign for his second election; sung to the tune of The Old Grey Mare. This is a fun book/song to share with elementary age students, especially if the school hosts a "Morning Sing" at some point during the week.
Megan Young
Dec 13, 2015 Megan Young rated it really liked it
Shelves: social-studies
This book would be great to do a presidents day lesson on. It would be great on using to explain who Abe Lincoln was and its a song that was sung during his time. This would be great to use for the anticipatory set of a lesson or even just a book students could read to discover more about Abe Lincoln. The pictures are well done in this book as well.
Lucy Eskeland
Sep 27, 2013 Lucy Eskeland rated it it was amazing
This picture book describes Abe’s life through song (tune of The Old Grey Mare) in verse. The children in a school are performing in front of an audience. Lincoln’s character qualities like honesty, smart, kind, etc., are described in verse. The illustrations show the child-actor as Abe during certain periods of his life. The first illustration shows the children getting ready for the performance, while the last illustration shows the actor Abe, bowing, with the rest of the cast, and the audienc ...more
Elizabeth
Feb 13, 2015 Elizabeth rated it liked it
I honestly did not enjoyed this book a lot. But it's a really good book to teach children a little bit about Abraham Lincoln. I did enjoyed the illustration and how the pictures theme of the book a play. The play was from from kids. I guess reason I didn't like it is because you kind of have to sing with this book. This book is awesome for kids who learn by Musical/Rhythmic is really good for them.
babyhippoface
Aylesworth has adapted a campaign song from the mid-1800's to create this joyful celebration of Abraham Lincoln's life. Each verse of the song is about a specific event or stage in Lincoln's history; McClintock's pen-and-ink drawings of children performing a school play illustrate the scenes. The sheet music to the original song (sung to the tune of The Old Grey Mare) is printed on the end papers. An appendix gives a little more information explaining the hisorical events behind the verses. Thou ...more
Naomi
May 19, 2015 Naomi rated it liked it
I agree with another reviewer that I would have loved to have seen this book come with a cd of the song. It felt very off without it. The illustrations were AMAZING!
Rll52013_stephanieroche
This book purports to be a biography of Abraham Lincoln, but unfortunately it is short on real, quality information about this important figure in our nation's history. The cover art and illustrations make this book very enticing to children. The writing takes the form of a popular song from Licoln's campaign for presidency, but each verse is short and barely scrapes the surface in describing Lincoln. I did find in the back of the book an "Author's Note" that expands on some of the ideas from th ...more
Anne
Apr 11, 2015 Anne rated it really liked it
This is a favorite of my four year old. It has prompted a lot of history questions from my 7 yr old, and the 4 year old sings along.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Our Abe Lincoln is a singable non-fiction story about America's 16th President. Aylesworth adapted the traditional folk song, "The Old Gray Mare." If the reader is unfamiliar with the tune, the opening splash pages share the musical notes and first stanza. This is a delightful way to learn about history. For young readers and learners, they can easily jump in and join the song (while learning). For older readers and creators, they can use this book as an idea to create their own non-fiction musi ...more
Kristy Sikora
Oct 03, 2010 Kristy Sikora rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
This biography of Abe Lincoln is perfect for young children. The text is written as a song, and the illustrations are presented as children putting on a play. It's simplified version of his life is perfect for young readers to learn about this famous and important man! Music teachers or classroom teachers of young children could use this book to introduce children to Abe, as it doesn't have enough "meat" to teach specific biographical details of his life.
Jon Wilson
This is a great introduction to Abraham Lincoln for young students because it is easy to read. Since the book is based on an actual campaign song from Abraham Lincoln's presidency, this could be used as an introduction to primary sources for upper elementary children. They could compare the two to see the difference between different types of sources.
Renee Wallace
Oct 27, 2009 Renee Wallace rated it it was amazing
Great tool for early elementaries and even pre-schoolers. Yes, this is a very basic list of facts, but it is set to a catchy tune--one that the young reader can pick up easily--and the pictures are perfect for the age.

A good choice for any time, but especially when trying to explain what President's Day is all about!
Deanna Donald
Apr 03, 2011 Deanna Donald rated it really liked it
This is a great book to read to students when beginning to learn about historical figures, specifically Abraham Lincoln. It provides content that students should know about him in a song format. Students will enjoy having a story give an overview about Abrahm Lincoln in a different way than simply reading a textbook.
Kristen Jorgensen
Apr 23, 2009 Kristen Jorgensen rated it really liked it
Just in time for the 200th anniversary of Abraham Lincoln's birth. This book is a fun way for children to be introduced to one of our most famous presidents. My favorite is how the author goes into more detail about the lyrics at the end of the book. I liked it I think kids will too.
Elizabeth
Jan 18, 2010 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Themes: poetry, history, Abe Lincoln, song, music, slavery, drama, play, recipe

Uses: small storytime, display,

Intro through CCPL Mock Caldecott, repetitive poetry, children portrayed as adults - story told through children's play/drama. Recipe on back for Vanilla Almond Cake
Amy
Apr 12, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it
Genre: Biography, picture book, young child
This is a delightful way to introduce children to a biography. The story gives us some facts about Abe Lincoln and can be sung which hleps a child to be more interested. The illustrations are very enjoyable and help tell the story.
Molly
May 10, 2009 Molly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: goodboyreads
I love singing this one. I read it to my 4 year old nephew and though he did not understand everything I think he really enjoyed it. I love that this is played out by kids and I think will be a great musical tool for teachers who teach history to use. Ages K+
Sydney Cornett
Apr 19, 2012 Sydney Cornett rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
This story isn't something I would do necessarily for a read aloud lesson, but it is a great way to integrate history within children's literature. If you are doing a lesson over Abe Lincoln, this is definitely a great way to hook the students' attention.
Beth
May 07, 2011 Beth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
This is wonderful to sing along to. Children get some background information and character traits of Lincoln that can be build upon. The fact the illustrations are set to a school play makes it even more relatable for children.
Inhabiting Books
I love the pictures, and the information the book contains is good, but found the song treatment of the storyline quite irritating. I do like the extended info in the author's info at the back.
Alyson
Sep 14, 2009 Alyson rated it really liked it
My first thought - "not another Abe Lincoln book"; but I really liked the presentation of the school play about Lincoln. Sing along to the the tune of "The Old Grey Mare" and enjoy!
Christian Padgett
Apr 08, 2011 Christian Padgett rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, presidents
Our Abe Lincoln does has a certain melody and rhythm with its words. This is a good book to use during President's Day or when talking about the contributions of Abraham Lincoln.
Franki Sibberson
Jan 07, 2010 Franki Sibberson rated it liked it
A good addition to Picture Book Biographies. This one may appeal to younger kids. In the book, a group of kids is putting on a school play about Abe Lincoln so illustrations are fun.
Sam Bloom
Jan 12, 2009 Sam Bloom rated it really liked it
Really great premise - a school play on Abe's life - and cute illustrations make this a good book for introducing Lincoln to young folks.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Jim Aylesworth was born in Jacksonville, Florida but as an infant moved from the state. He lived in many places during his childhood: Alabama, Indiana, Georgia, Tennessee, Texas... but by the time Aylesworth was 15 his family had settled in Hinsdale, Illinois and that is where he graduated from high school in 1961.

In 1965, he graduated from Miami University in Oxford, Ohio with a B.A. in English.
More about Jim Aylesworth...